PDA

View Full Version : Beauty/Youth: the curse... and people's stupidity over it.

JEDIpartner
01-14-2005, 08:13 AM
It occurred to me that people are just complete idiots about youth and beauty. You see a woman who is aging and her skin gets lines and starts to sag a bit. People start to comment on how that person isn't as attractive as they once were or make fun of the way their face is starting to look due to the natural aging process. Then there are women who decide to take matters to their nearest plastic surgeon. People then start to speculate whether she has had botox or this or that done and then they make fun of the fact that she went and had something done about that.

No wonder people are so screwed up today. We just won't give people a bloody break because society is so hung up on beauty and youth.

Kidhuman
01-14-2005, 11:19 AM
I blame it all on Hollywood. They set forth an image of what perfection used to be. Monroe was a Godess in Hollywood back i the 50's. She was a size 10 I believe. If it was today she would be considered overweight.

I agree JP, it is all natural aging processes. Some people dont want to live with that and go have plastic surgery. That boils down to their own personal insecurities. They are paranoid about what other people think.

It is a horrible that vanity is being considered over everything else. MTV glorifies it with these shows about plastic surgery. Other people want ot "keep up with the Jones'" so to say. Buit the only difference is its not a HD TV System, its their own life they are messing with.

Slicker
01-14-2005, 12:49 PM
It's the same with Jackie Kennedy. I personally don't think she was very attractive but according to history books and my mom she was the most beautiful woman in America. To be honest what MTV calls "beauty" to me is just plain skanky. If it takes tons of make-up and plastic surgery to make you look good then to me your ugly. You can tell a womans real beauty if she's still attractive even without make-up.

P.S. If any of those skanky MTV chicks want to go out just PM me.:D

JEDIpartner
01-14-2005, 03:35 PM
The other thing I have a problem with, that you didn't touch upon, is that when people DO have plastic surgery... the same people who took shots at the person for aging starts taking shots at them for having the surgery. It's a lose/lose situation for these people. How ANYONE could have a good self-image in these times is completely beyond me!

Bobby Fett
01-14-2005, 04:35 PM
No wonder people are so screwed up today. We just won't give people a bloody break because society is so hung up on beauty and youth.

I don't agree with my good friend JP very often, but he's dead right with this thread.

sith_killer_99
01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Ah yes, but let's not forget the double standard. It seems that while women tend to be seen as less attractive with age, many men are seen as getting sexier with age. Just look at guys like Jack Nicholson, Harrison Ford, etc.

These guys were getting voted "sexiest man alive" in their 60's! :D

Slicker
01-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Don't forget about that dreamboat Mel Gibson.

One older woman that I think looks good is Stifler's mom.

JON9000
01-15-2005, 04:43 PM
What are we complaining about here? The premium society places on beauty as a commodity? Or are we complaining because we think people should be happy with what they were given at birth (or weren't)? Or are we complaining that the media is somehow at fault?

:confused:

Beauty is a talent and blessing like any other. It is okay to appreciate it. And BTW, if I could pay a little money and have a doctor give me the ability to dunk a basketball or have the slighest iota of musical talent, I would do it. Why the diss on surgery? Isn't beauty the same sort of commodity?

Bobby Fett
01-15-2005, 07:10 PM
What are we complaining about here? The premium society places on beauty as a commodity? Or are we complaining because we think people should be happy with what they were given at birth (or weren't)? Or are we complaining that the media is somehow at fault?

I interpreted the original post as pointing out the critical and hypocritical attitudes of some people toward other people. You know, the old damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That's my understanding of the issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, JP.

sith_killer_99
01-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Donnald Trump says that being born beautiful is like winning the lottery, and getting poorer every day.

In other words beauty fades.

I think what JP is trying to say is that:

1. "Hollywoods" version of beauty creates an impossible standard (or at least a very difficult standard) for women. As he said, Monroe was considered a real beauty in her day, but by todays standards she would be considered overweight in Hollywood.

2. Talented actresses are often pushed aside for less talented younger actresses simply because they look prettier.

The reason this is a problem is because, young girls see these things and begin to feel self concious about themselves, they develop eating disorders to compete with "Hollywoods" standard.

Not to mention the age factor, I'm not even going to get into the whole "some of these girls look like they are only 13 years old" issue. :rolleyes:

It's a problem, believe me.

Now, I have no problem with beautiful women in movies and television, but sometimes you gotta wonder where they find some of these genetic freaks and why Hollywood says that "this is beautiful".

Slicker
01-16-2005, 12:43 PM
2. Talented actresses are often pushed aside for less talented younger actresses simply because they look prettier.
Case in point Ashlee Simpson. You mean to tell me that that's the best singer her label could hire. Doubtful but a)she's got a famous sister and b)she's a pretty young girl so naturally if she's even a mediocore singer her looks will make up for the rest.

JON9000
01-16-2005, 12:45 PM
I think what JP is trying to say is that:

1. "Hollywoods" version of beauty creates an impossible standard (or at least a very difficult standard) for women. As he said, Monroe was considered a real beauty in her day, but by todays standards she would be considered overweight in Hollywood.

The reason this is a problem is because, young girls see these things and begin to feel self concious about themselves, they develop eating disorders to compete with "Hollywoods" standard.
A couple of comments on those points:

1. I've known a few bulimics, and they had problems in their lives that had relatively little to do with women on television. But it sure is a helluva a lot easier to blame Hollywood than more personal things, no? A note to parents: don't get divorced or buy your kid Fruit Loops, it hurts America.

2. I realize that it has been demonstrated that women have lousier self images after viewing images of "beautiful" women. It has also been demonstrated that men are less satisfied with their companions after viewing something like Playboy. Sorry, it sucks, but we live in a free market.

3. Of course everyone cannot be beautiful, but that doesn't mean we should rail against it. Not everyone gets to wear a tiara, folks, but biology ain't changin'.

4. Almost everybody would look better if they maintained a healthy weight through diet and exercise, practiced better hygiene, and wore clothes that fit. Everybody can do these things. Perhaps there isn't enough pressure to look good, b/c apparently Americans are getting fatter and fatter. :crazed:

JEDIpartner
01-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Okay, but MY big problem is getting older or getting surgery... either way, these days, you're screwed!! They are going to take shots at you for one, the other or both!!

JON9000
01-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Okay, but MY big problem is getting older or getting surgery... either way, these days, you're screwed!! They are going to take shots at you for one, the other or both!!
Is there a particular incident recently that has stuck out as being particularly odious? (Other than that Swan show).

JediTricks
01-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Yes yes, blame Hollywood for the shallow concepts of beauty we all have, since after all, before 1890 nobody ever cared about youth and beauty and their cruelly inherent tendency to fade with the passage of time. :rolleyes: The last thousand years of European art and literature don't focus on these issues time and time again, and millennia before that Greek and Egyptian women didn't bathe in gladiator sweat or milk in the hopes of salvaging their fading looks.

It's a narrow point of view to simply point at the TV and bestow fault upon it when TV and movies are largely a reflection of our society, especially in this day and age when there are so many beautiful actresses in their mid-30s or older (Salma Hayek, Famke Janssen, Halle Berry, Teri Hatcher, Julia Roberts, etc.) and I've never heard credible evidence that any of them have been sliced to look younger.

Beauty is subjective, it's largely a biological imperitive from before we had the use of writing, we sometimes even base our opinion of beauty on an idealistic view of our own self-image. We're all fairly shallow creatures and always have been, we don't have to revel in this, but ultimately it is a fact of life.

JEDIpartner
01-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Yeah, JON9000... I see people slagging celebrities on various chatboards and then I see things on tabloids in the cash/wrap line at the supermarket. It just p**ses me off that people can't just be left alone whether they are getting older or getting surgery.

JON9000
01-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah, JON9000... I see people slagging celebrities on various chatboards and then I see things on tabloids in the cash/wrap line at the supermarket. It just p**ses me off that people can't just be left alone whether they are getting older or getting surgery.
I think what's going on is nothing more than schadenfreude with vanity as an outlet. Schadenfreude is taking delight in the misfortune of others (and one of my favorite words).

Most people out there feel very low in their own level of attractiveness and therefore try to tear everybody down. The easiest way to do this is to be nasty about someone on an anonymous message board. When these losers see that a renowned beauty has slid into old age, they get to rise up and cry, "Ha! You aren't so pretty either! Welcome to my world!"

Too bad no one calls them out on how pathetic that is.

JEDIpartner
01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
It is pathetic... :frus: