PDA

View Full Version : The GIJoe Trivia Game: Because knowing is half the battle!

El Chuxter
01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
This is similar to the SW Film Trivia Game I started in Classic Trilogy. I'm going to throw out five questions, and if you answer one correctly, you ask a question to replace it. These questions can be related to any aspect of GIJoe, but please be sure that if it's a story-related question that you specify comics or cartoons, because they tend to differ widely (such as Cobra Commander: 1,000 year-old snakeman or disgruntled used car salesman?).

1) (Comics) Which high-ranking Cobra has a biological son or daughter on the GIJoe team, and what is the name of his (or her) kid?

2) (Cartoons) Who or what was Cold Slither?

3) (Toys) The VAMP Mark II and Cobra Stinger both featured drivers who were repaints of earlier characters. Who were they?

4) (Comics/Toys) Who is the only character created for the current (Devil's Due) comic to be made into an action figure?

5) (Toys) Stephen King and his son created a character in the 1980s, and King wrote his/her/it file card. What is the character's name?

Exhaust Port
01-14-2005, 02:47 PM
2) (Cartoons) Who or what was Cold Slither?

Perhaps the greatest rock band ever?

Cold Slither was a band created by Cobra that used hypnotic music to control the audience. The band Cold Slither was made up the Dreadnoks I believe.

Of course once Joe kicked their butts and realized that they had stadium full of people expecting a concert and no band, GI Joe stepped up to the plate and delivered one heck of a concert themselves. Honestly bring back Cold Slither, Joe sucks.

QUESTION: (Cartoons) What GI Joe character made an appearance on another 1980's cartoon? What show and what his/her screen name on that show?

El Chuxter
01-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Cobra Commander appeared, sans costume, in one of the post-movie episodes of Transformers. He trapped several Autobots in synthoid human bodies. I believe his name was "Old Hiss" or "Old Snake" or "Great Snake" or something. It's supposed to be subtle up until the "surprise" battle cry of "Cobraaaa!" in the end, but it's really painfully obvious who he is supposed to be.

Ees thees correct? I'll hold off on posting a follow-up until I get your confirmation if that's enough info since I'm not sure about the name. ;)

Exhaust Port
01-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Your right El Chuxter. I believe CC's Tranformer name was just Snake.

I haven't seen the episode probably since I was a kid. I wonder if there were any scenes with dialog between CC and Starscream. For some reason I never put together that they were the same actor until I was much older. :D

Droid
01-14-2005, 03:36 PM
There was no dialogue between Cobra Commander and Starscream. The episode with Cobra Commander was after Transformers the movie, so Starscream was already blown up by Galvatron.

El Chuxter
01-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Okay, follow-up question:

(Cartoon) Who was the only GIJoe team member to be seen breakdancing, when undercover as a Cobra agent?

Droid
01-14-2005, 03:42 PM
1) (Comics) Which high-ranking Cobra has a biological son or daughter on the GIJoe team, and what is the name of his (or her) kid?

Billy was Cobra Commander's son, though I did not remember Billy ever being an official member of the Joe team. I thought he was just on the outskirts with Storm Shadow. Is the answer Billy and was Billy ever an official member of the Joe team?

5) (Toys) Stephen King and his son created a character in the 1980s, and King wrote his/her/it file card. What is the character's name?

That would be Crystal Ball.

(Comics) Who killed the Hard Master?

vader121
01-14-2005, 04:13 PM
3) (Toys) The VAMP Mark II and Cobra Stinger both featured drivers who were repaints of earlier characters. Who were they?

Answer:
Cobra Stinger Driver was a repainted Cobra Officer. I always liked the gray better than the blue and it gave them a distinction.
Vamp Mark II was a repainted Clutch who was the Vamp I driver

Question:
(Toys) What were the codenames for the following?
Cobra Water Moccasin driver
GiJoe Skystriker pilot
Cobra Rattler pilot
GiJoe Mobat driver

Droid
01-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Question:
(Toys) What were the codenames for the following?
Cobra Water Moccasin driver

COPPERHEAD

GiJoe Skystriker pilot

ACE

Cobra Rattler pilot

WILD WEASEL

GiJoe Mobat driver

DON'T KNOW

Droid
01-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Okay, follow-up question:

(Cartoon) Who was the only GIJoe team member to be seen breakdancing, when undercover as a Cobra agent?

Pretty sure it was Snake-Eyes breakdancing (and that Shipwreck was there). Was this during the Pyramid of Darkness miniseries?

My question: (Cartoon) Which Joe chose to stay forever in a parallel universe and to date the Baroness?

Ji'dai
01-14-2005, 05:24 PM
(Comics) Who killed the Hard Master?

Zartan. Storm Shadow was suspected since he left the family compound quickly after the assassination, but apparently he did an OJ and was searching for the real killer all those years.

El Chuxter
01-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Correct you are, Droid, on Billy. Billy officially joined the team during the Devil's Due run (which picks up Marvel's continuity in the present day after the Joe team has been disbanded for several years and Cobra Commander has been organizing power more covertly during that time). He doesn't have a code name, nor does he need one.

vader121 is right about the drivers (though I think the Stinger Driver was also listed as Cobra Officer in some sources). You owe us a question, vader. :p

Droid is also right about Snake Eyes getting funky. Possibly the silliest bit ever to appear on the cartoon. :crazed:

Steeler is the answer to both questions on the board (the MOBAT driver and the Joe who chose to remain in an alternate universe).

And I just noticed Droid answered Crystal Ball correctly. (I thought he was a pig terd character until finding out that tidbit about his creator! :eek: )

Having answered two questions, I now pose two:

(comics) Which Cobra shot Scarlett in the head at pointblank range, sending her into a coma for several issues?

(comics)Which Cobra is really a clone of "himself," the original having been killed by Cobra Commander?

Still on the board:
(Comics/Toys) Who is the only character created for the current (Devil's Due) comic to be made into an action figure?

By my count, we need one question from vader121 and one from Ji'Dai. :p

Droid
01-14-2005, 06:12 PM
(comics) Which Cobra shot Scarlett in the head at pointblank range, sending her into a coma for several issues?

Pretty darn sure that it is the Baroness.

(comics)Which Cobra is really a clone of "himself," the original having been killed by Cobra Commander?[/b]

I don't remember this at all, this must not have been in the Marvel comic.
I'm going to guess Dr. Mindbender though. Seems they killed him in the volcano thing and then somehow I have seen him floating around in that new comic series I never read.

I'm gone for the weekend folks. Take care and Go Joe!

P.S. I used to have a nearly complete run of the Marvel comic, the Joe cartoon was my favorite as a kid, and I used to have as many Joe figures as Star Wars figures. There was a time after Return of the Jedi had come and gone that I cared more about G.I. Joe than Star Wars. There just wasn't enough Star Wars material to keep a child fixated. Star Wars has pulled way ahead in my mind now. I still love Star Wars actively. I look back on Joe with nostalgia. Most of the Joe figures are gone. I kept only a few of my favorites.

El Chuxter
01-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Right on both counts. (Cobra Commander actually cloned Mindbender during the Transformers crossover around issue 130-something, and he wore that awful neon yellow resculpt armor. That's the best thing about the DD series -- they don't change costumes every issue!)

Ji'dai
01-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Okay, my question is a two-parter.

(Comics) This Marvel GI JOE artist-writer guest appeared as an enemy soldier on an episode of what long-running television comedy-drama?

jjreason
01-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Man, that's a lot of variables. Give us some cluesies.

Who was Ripcord's girlfriend? What did she do for work? What was her "code name"?

Having just read most of the thread, did anyone answer the MOBAT driver question? His codename was STEELER.

EDIT: I just see now that Chux answered this a few posts ago.

Try this one: Name the only vintage Joe figure on my shelf. No? Okay, how about this one: TOYS - By job description, name the first "original" Joe to be replaced?

Ji'dai
01-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Okay, my question is a two-parter.

(Comics) This Marvel GI JOE artist-writer guest appeared as an enemy soldier on an episode of what long-running television comedy-drama?

Clue #1: The writer in question helmed the Marvel GI Joe title from it's debut in June 1982.

Clue #2: The television series ran during most of the 70s and finally ended in the early 80s.

Exhaust Port
01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I have no idea about part 1 but by your clue I'd guess the show was MASH.

jjreason
01-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Then it's Larry HAMA, a real-life Vietnam Vet from what I understand. I don't think he was an artist at any point, however. It does sound like he guest-starred on M*A*S*H.

Ji'dai
01-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Yes, it's Larry Hama and the television show was M*A*S*H. I didn't think he was an artist either but he's described as such in the book Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics. I remember this bit of trivia from the letters column in the old comic; some reader mentioned having seen Hama on an episode of M*A*S*H. He played a North Korean soldier.

Droid
01-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Who was Ripcord's girlfriend? What did she do for work? What was her "code name"?

Candy was a balloon delivery girl. I THINK her name was something like "Bongo the Balloon Bear".

TOYS - By job description, name the first "original" Joe to be replaced?

General Hawk was replaced by Duke (who was a First Sgt.), but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

(Comics) In issue II, Kwin was working for Cobra. What plans was he carrying for Cobra (not the Death Star)?

jjreason
01-17-2005, 01:05 PM
COMICS: Ding ding ding! Bongo the Balloon Bear is exactly right!

TOYS: The "replacement" issue might have been a little obtuse. I was referring to Roadblock coming onto the team as part of wave 3, a new machine gunner to replace (compliment?) Rock N Roll. By job description, I have that as the first replacement, followed quickly by Footloose replacing Grunt, Bazooka replacing Zap and Leatherneck replacing Gung Ho in wave 4 or 5.

I remember Kwinn very clearly, a very interesting character right up to and including his death in or around issue 12 (shot in the back, n'est-ce pas?). I do not remember what plans he was carrying around for Cobra though.

NEW QUESTION: Name the 3 original Dreadnoks.

El Chuxter
01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I think her real name was Candy Appel, and her father was a Cobra scientist?

IIRC, Kwinn had the plans for the protoype brainwave scanner (which causes those wacky Joes no end of trouble to this very day!).

Are you looking for Footloose as "Infantry Soldier" for the first to be replaced?

jjreason
01-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Please see the post above yours Chux, for the resolution to my "replacement" quesiton. Thinking about this a bit more though, did Airborne (by job description: Army Ranger) replace Stalker? That would have been a wave 2 figure replacing a wave 1, and would be the big wiener by my count.

By the way, I realize that Airborne as a character can't even hold Stalker's shorts..... :cool:

Droid
01-17-2005, 02:19 PM
NEW QUESTION: Name the 3 original Dreadnoks.

Ripper, Buzzer, and Torch.

NEW QUESTION: Comics - Who, temporarily at least, killed Storm Shadow?

Droid
01-17-2005, 02:22 PM
IIRC, Kwinn had the plans for the protoype brainwave scanner (which causes those wacky Joes no end of trouble to this very day!).

I thought Kwinn was carrying the plans to the Terrordromes.

NEW QUESTION: (Comics) Who killed the Soft Master?

El Chuxter
01-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Scrap Iron blowed up the Soft Master good. :(

(Comics): Who was the first Joe to die during the bloody Battle of Benzheen, and how did s/he die?

Droid
01-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Was it Doc crawling out of the hole and getting shot in the face by the S.A.W. Viper?

JON9000
01-17-2005, 07:04 PM
I got one for you guys! Which Stephen King book featured "Crystal Ball"

The kids were playing with Joes and CB was the only one named.

Exhaust Port
01-17-2005, 09:06 PM
I didn't answer a question but how about this...

Name all the Vipers.

El Chuxter
01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
All of them? You've got to be kidding. :p

This is going to take a bit of research. Are you including all possibilities from the GIJoe: A Real American Hero and GIJoe vs Cobra/Spy Troops/Whatever They're Called Now lines?

Exhaust Port
01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
You're right, that could take forever. How about only those from A Real American Hero. :)

Ji'dai
01-19-2005, 12:05 AM
I got one for you guys! Which Stephen King book featured "Crystal Ball"

The kids were playing with Joes and CB was the only one named.

The Tommyknockers?

JON9000
01-19-2005, 12:08 AM
You are correct. Sort of lends credence to the myth of King writing the bio.

El Chuxter
01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Is that a myth? I've never seen any direct confirmation from King, but the bio doesn't read like. . . .

Uh, here comes the next question. ;)

Who wrote the file cards on the first several years worth of the GIJoe: A Real American Hero figures (except Crystal Ball, if Stephen King wrote that one)?

Droid
01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Who wrote the file cards on the first several years worth of the GIJoe: A Real American Hero figures (except Crystal Ball, if Stephen King wrote that one)?

Larry Hama.

Was I right about Doc being the first Joe killed?

El Chuxter
01-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Indeed you were.

"He popped a cap in Doc! Doc is dead!!" :cry:

You're also right about Mr Hama.

Droid
01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
(Comics) What three Joes were held in a prisoner camp and what fourth Joe left them behind?

Droid
01-19-2005, 04:12 PM
According to my count, unanswered questions are:

Which figure from the Devil's Due comics was made into an action figure?

Who (at least temporarily) killed Storm Shadow in the comics?

And no one has attempted to name all of the Vipers.

I'll kick the Viper answer off: Viper, Techno-Viper, S.A.W. Viper.

Ji'dai
01-19-2005, 04:56 PM
I've read that Hasbro released a Joe code-named Sneak Peek around the same time as Crystal Ball in the late '80s. The name on the figure's file card was Owen King (author Stephen's son) and it listed his hometown as Bangor, Maine.

(comics - vintage) The Soft Master met his end by running headfirst into a RPG or surface to air missile. Who was he attempting to save by sacrificing himself?

El Chuxter
01-19-2005, 05:22 PM
I must've missed the question about Storm Shadow. Here's the answer and the next question rolled into one: Baroness gunned him down and he went into an Arashikage trance. Mistakenly believing him to be dead, Dr Mindbender did what with the "body"?

Here's a hint on the Devil's Due action figure: it's a he, he's not found in the vintage line (well, obviously), and he is the son of a former member of Snake Eyes' LRRP in Vietnam.

More Vipers:
Rock Viper
Astro Viper
Tele-Viper
Alley Viper
Sludge Viper
Toxo-Viper

Ji'dai
01-19-2005, 09:52 PM
I must've missed the question about Storm Shadow. Here's the answer and the next question rolled into one: Baroness gunned him down and he went into an Arashikage trance. Mistakenly believing him to be dead, Dr Mindbender did what with the "body"?

Dr. Mindbender tossed Storm Shadow into his DNA vat of primordial goo from which he genetically engineered Serpentor. The process infused Storm Shadow with life; and it also left him with memories of the individuals whose DNA was used to make the new Cobra leader.

Droid
01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Dr. Mindbender tossed Storm Shadow into his DNA vat of primordial goo from which he genetically engineered Serpentor. The process infused Storm Shadow with life; and it also left him with memories of the individuals whose DNA was used to make the new Cobra leader.

I always thought it was lame that Serpentor had some of Storm Shadow in him, but that they did nothing with it. Serpentor had none of Storm Shadow's qualities. He should have caught the arrow that killed him. Also, it would have been cool to have Serpentor and Storm Shadow meet up at some point. I gave up on the comic because of all the missed opportunities. Like when they finally started having some characters die, it was a snafu on Cobra's part and almost played for comical effect.

Droid
01-20-2005, 01:52 PM
(comics - vintage) The Soft Master met his end by running headfirst into a RPG or surface to air missile. Who was he attempting to save by sacrificing himself?

Was he trying to save Billy and Candy? I cannot remember.

Ji'dai
01-20-2005, 04:46 PM
I always thought it was lame that Serpentor had some of Storm Shadow in him, but that they did nothing with it. Serpentor had none of Storm Shadow's qualities. He should have caught the arrow that killed him. Also, it would have been cool to have Serpentor and Storm Shadow meet up at some point. I gave up on the comic because of all the missed opportunities. Like when they finally started having some characters die, it was a snafu on Cobra's part and almost played for comical effect.

I stopped reading due to Marvel's price increases. It was probably shortly after the $1.00 per issue hike. There were several Joe titles going on at the same time too.. got to be expensive. I'm surprised I still remember some of this stuff. Though the storylines were pretty good.

Was he trying to save Billy and Candy? I cannot remember.

Without digging out my old issues, yeah, I think it was Candy and Billy.

Droid
01-20-2005, 05:34 PM
(Comics) What three Joes were held in a prisoner camp and what fourth Joe left them behind?

So does anyone know?

Ji'dai
01-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I vaguely remember them being held in a gulag but can't remember who it was. I think I still owe a question though.

(comics-vintage) Snake-Eyes wears a mask to conceal more than his identity. What happened to him?

Droid
01-24-2005, 09:18 AM
His face was badly disfigured saving Scarlett in a helicopter accident.

jjreason
01-27-2005, 03:34 AM
As revealed in which issue of the comic?

TOYS: What were the names of the following animals of Snake Eyes' wolf and Mutt's Dog? For bonus marks (and I'm admitting I don't know here) name Spirit's falcon.

CARTOON: "Spirit", the team tracker, originally appeared using what different code name?

Droid
01-27-2005, 09:55 AM
TOYS: What were the names of the following animals of Snake Eyes' wolf and Mutt's Dog? For bonus marks (and I'm admitting I don't know here) name Spirit's falcon.

Snake Eyes' wolf - Timber
Mutt's Dog - Junkyard
Spirit's falcon - Freedom (I think it was an eagle not a falcon)

El Chuxter
01-27-2005, 11:16 AM
I believe the first revelation of Snake Eyes' rescue of Scarlett was first mentioned in #27 and actually recounted in #152 or #153. However, I'm not 100% sure, so I'll await confirmation before throwing out a new question.

Ji'dai
01-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah, the Snake Eyes origin issues were #26 and #27. The training accident is recounted in #27. I started reading the comic a couple months before those issues came out. I bet I read and reread those two issues many times.

Phantom-like Menace
02-23-2005, 01:45 AM
According to my count, unanswered questions are:

Which figure from the Devil's Due comics was made into an action figure?

Who (at least temporarily) killed Storm Shadow in the comics?

And no one has attempted to name all of the Vipers.

I'll kick the Viper answer off: Viper, Techno-Viper, S.A.W. Viper.

I'll answer the first. Kamakura is the Devil's Due comics character made into action figure form.

vader121
02-23-2005, 08:52 AM
I'll name a few more Vipers:

Alley Viper
Techno Viper
Flak Viper
Tele Viper

vader121
02-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Sorry, Techno Viper was a repeat. Here's a few more:

Ninja Viper
Sonic Fighter Viper

El Chuxter
06-02-2006, 05:29 PM
It's been over a year, so I'm going to declare the Viper question dead if no one has any objections. It's just nigh impossible to answer it without cheating.

Still on the board is:

I don't recall who they were, but I do recall who left them behind (and later rescued them): Snake Eyes.

Four new ones:

(Comics) Prior to the formation of the GIJoe team, Snake Eyes crossed paths with four future Joes and six future Cobras. (Dead giveaway: one of the Cobras was also one of the Joes!) And, although they never met, he tangentially played a major role in the life of another future Cobra and future Joe (who were related by blood to one another). Name all twelve eleven.

(Toys) A classic name traditionally given to a Cobra operative is given to a Joe in the Sigma Six line. What is the name?

(Cartoons) Who killed Duke? (Or, more accurately, who sent him into a coma so that Doc could announce he was going to be okay?)

(Toys) Name every ninja character produced in the original Real American Hero line.

Rogue II
06-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Cartoon: Was it Serpentor that killed Duke?

Toys: Ninjas: Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, & Jinx.

El Chuxter
06-02-2006, 07:55 PM
You're right on who "killed" Duke. You're missing several ninjas, but that's a start.

Rogue II
06-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I was going to add Firefly and Quick Kick, but I wasn't sure if they were ninjas. My GI Joe knowledge doesn't cover anything past the late 80s.

El Chuxter
06-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Firefly is probably a ninja. He's Vietnamese (not Japanese, but that doesn't matter since at least three ninjas are Caucasians--don't want to give away nationalities, as that'd be a giveaway for one), and a shady master of disguise, and worked as a visiting instructor for the Arashikage Clan. And he later commanded. . . but that would be giving away another part of the answer. ;) In the new series, though, someone made a comment about him still pretending to be a ninja, so it's whichever you believe. Personally, I say ninja.

Quick Kick: not a ninja, just a bada** martial artist. And, unfortunately, dead. :cry:

Still a few missing.

Rogue II
06-21-2006, 04:27 PM
I walked past the Sigma Six figures yesterday. Is Firefly now a Joe?

And I was bored so I decided to look up the ninja question. It appears the bulk of those came out as the original line was dying a slow miserable death.

El Chuxter
06-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Firefly is now a name used for a Joe. Why, I don't know. Like everything else related to Sigma Six, it's poop.

Rogue II
06-21-2006, 06:26 PM
I tried to watch a couple episodes of Sigma Six. It is terrible. My mad-skills with the tv remote is the only thing that save my brain from caving in.