PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: C-3PO

LusiferSam
01-16-2005, 01:05 PM
The original C-3PO (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6630&sort=7&cat=796&page=1) gets the hot seat this week. The fussy gold protocol droid who has 6 million forms of commutation was a must have if you had his counterpart (or vice-a-versa). Originally released in 1978 on a 12 back card C-3PO was available on all major card back types until his was replaced by C-3PO with removable limbs in 1982.

I like this figure a lot. Many of the small details are captured or come across well. The head, torso, arms and legs all look great with good details. And I'm happy with the color. Sure 3PO is all one color, gold, but he looks gold (rather than silver). I'm a little disappointed that the hands can't hold anything, but then again we never saw the droid pick up anything but a little commlink.

JEDIpartner
01-16-2005, 03:09 PM
He was my first figure... along with Artoo. They are still my favourites.

Kidhuman
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
3PO saw lots of action in the hay day of me playing with toys. He and R2 went everywhere. He was a much needed figure to SW collectors. He was everywhere, in every scene and always could communicate with everyone. Heck, he even made fighter pilot in one of my squadrons of old shoes. He always wrestled Death STar Droid too. Like his evil counterpart.

Fluke Skywalker
01-17-2005, 08:28 AM
I think 3PO has held up pretty well too. I do rememeber that his limbs got loose faster than most figures though and before long he has trouble standing on his own.

vader121
01-18-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't remember when I got C3PO but I did have him. My orgiinal one was very beat up and had ultra loose limbs. I never did get the C3PO with removeable limbs as a kid although that one was superior to the original.

As far as play value goes he didn't bring a lot. He was a must to have but couldn't do much else but spar with R2 as the battles raged.

Rocketboy
01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Threepio, along with Artoo, were my favorites as a kid.
As for the loose limbs - I'm not sure I remember ever being able to have Threepio stand on his own.
It was just a given that Threepio couldn't stand and Artoo's torso was solid white.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I do rememeber that his limbs got loose faster than most figures though and before long he has trouble standing on his own.

As for the loose limbs - I'm not sure I remember ever being able to have Threepio stand on his own.
My Threepio was also loose; in fact I can't even remember when he wasn't, even though I know he must've been at some point. But, since he could literally lean on his buddy R2, for dioramas it would at least kind of look like he could stand. Even his head was movin' and shakin'.

My original C-3PO somehow lost his hand (maybe he was part Skywalker, eh? :rolleyes: ), and his gold color faded quickly to a dull silver-ish hue, so my friends and I used him as the white Hoth base droid (we didn't know it had a name then).