PDA

View Full Version : He has alot of his father in hm

Kidhuman
01-17-2005, 05:43 AM
...a line spewed forth by Beru. Owens response is I know.

Knowing this and seeing Owen refusing to let Luke go to the Academy(I think he is referencing the Imperial Academy), do you think Owen was making excuses for Luke not to go. After all, Imperial Academy, word would have it that a Skywalker had joined and then Vaders attention would have been drawn to it. AT this point there would be no helping Luke out by anyone. He basically would have been a sitting duck in the Emperors and Vaders hand.

Droid
01-17-2005, 08:38 AM
I think Obi-wan would have stepped in and sent Luke on a different path before he ever went to the Imperial Academy.

Kidhuman
01-18-2005, 10:46 PM
How would Obi-Wan have stepped in? He was off on another part of Tatooine? I know he could have gathered from the force which way Luke was heading, but how?

Droid
01-19-2005, 09:01 AM
I think Ben kept tabs on Luke. For instance, I do not believe they met in A New Hope. I think they had met before. "Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you." I get the feeling they knew each other. Probably Ben would come by every so often to check up on Luke. Owen would probably try to get him to leave. "No you can't get him that lightsaber! Get out of here you weirdo!"

Also, I think Ben (and Yoda) were keeping "Force" tabs on Luke.

I'm sure that Ben would have picked up on Luke's plans to leave. People talk. Ben might have gone into Anchorhead or Mos Eisley for supplies and heard the news.

Also, Ben didn't live that far from the Lars farm. Luke got to the Jundland Wastes pretty quickly in his landspeeder.

Kidhuman
01-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Ben did keep tabs on him. But if Ben were to stop him, then the truth would have to be told about why he wouldnt let Luke go to the Academy. I think it was more Uncle Owen stopping him rather then Ben stepping in if something happened. Remember Luke said there are more than enough droids to help, I am not needed. But Owen popped another story out about Harvest and how much he needs him there. From what I can tell, Owen did this to him constantly.

About the landspeeder...HOw fast did it go and in a cut scene, time sure does fly. :beard:

The 'Xir
01-19-2005, 09:30 AM
"He can't stay here forever". "Most of his friends have gone, it means so much to him".

"I'll make it up to him next year"

"Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he has too much of his father in him!"

-- I think the first line implies Luke's friends like Biggs! And we all know Biggs was part of the rebellion. So, only two things could have happened, Either his friends were deserters of the Imperial Academy, which I doubt 'cause Luke says to Biggs, "Hey, I told you I'd make it some day" So, I think the Rebellion must of had their own School/academy! Although Luke never actually goes to it obviously, but only 'cause of the dire consequences that the rebels were faced with(ala DS) so they needed all able bodies! Now why they would put him in command of a squadron as say opposed to Biggs who's been there longer, makes no sense what so ever, but hey It's lucass' world...'Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!" :crazed:

sith_killer_99
01-19-2005, 10:45 AM
I think Xir is correct, Luke wasn't planning on going to the Imperial Academy, I believe this is covered in EU.

Anyway, look at the Biggs thing, plus Luke's statement "It's not that I like the Empire, I HATE IT. It's just, there's nothing I can do about it right now."

Then old Obi-Wan "That's your uncle talking" refering to the part about not being able to do anything about it.

Luke wanted to join up with the Rebellion and there were certainly other Academies, possibly on Corellia or other Core worlds, many of whom were "sympathetic" to the rebellion.

Kidhuman
01-19-2005, 07:51 PM
But didnt Bioggs go to the Imperial Academy and then performed mutiny and catch up to the Rebellion??

Slicker
01-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah I think that's how the story goes. In the SW Film Trivia thread someone just had a question about that and I think it went that he jumped ship to try and locate the Rebellion to defect.

tagmac
01-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Now why they would put him in command of a squadron as say opposed to Biggs who's been there longer, makes no sense what so ever, but hey It's lucass' world...'Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!" :crazed:

I don't think it's just a "Lucas thing" here. Before the battle, Red Leader makes a statement about having seen/heard of Luke's father's abilities as a pilot, plus Biggs emphasizes that Luke is "the best Bush Pilot in the Outer Rim." That, plus the Skywalker name alone was why Luke was given command so quickly in ANH, and later made the leader of Rogue Squadron by ESB.

As for Owen making excuses to keep Luke out of the Academy, if you go by the radio drama, that was the Imperial Academy Luke was thinking about. I do find it interesting that Owen may have been making excuses to keep Luke away from the Empire - perhaps ROTS will clarify this in some way.

El Chuxter
01-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Why wasn't he planning to go into the Imperial Academy if he saw it as his only realistic route off Tatooine? The guy didn't know he was going to stumble upon two Rebel droids and begin training as a Jedi.

Besides, Han not only was in the Imperial Academy, he became a pilot and an officer for the Empire.

The 'Xir
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
My scripts are buried in my collection! Does anyone, off hand remember what Biggs and Luke talked about when Biggs came back home to Tatooine? Ya know the scenes that were cut from ANH! Did he talk about the academy?, did he talk about desertion? I thought he did mention something about how great it was to be flying! But for which side? If he's talking about the Imperial Academy, then how'd he get to the rebellion? If he's talking about The Rebels and their cause then I'd assume that's where "most of his friends have gone". Anyone know/remember? I'll see If I can find the scripts!

Kidhuman
01-20-2005, 01:04 PM
My scripts are buried in my collection! Does anyone, off hand remember what Biggs and Luke talked about when Biggs came back home to Tatooine? Ya know the scenes that were cut from ANH! Did he talk about the academy?, did he talk about desertion? I thought he did mention something about how great it was to be flying! But for which side? If he's talking about the Imperial Academy, then how'd he get to the rebellion? If he's talking about The Rebels and their cause then I'd assume that's where "most of his friends have gone". Anyone know/remember? I'll see If I can find the scripts!

Check here Xir..

http://www.scenebyscene.net/iv/anhscript.txt

The 'Xir
01-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Here we go:

LUKE: Shape it up you guys!.... Biggs?

Luke's surprise at the appearance of Biggs gives way to
great joy and emotion. They give each other a great bear hug.

LUKE: I didn't know you were back! When did you get in?

BIGGS: Just now. I wanted to surprise you, hot shot. I thought you'd be
here...certainly didn't expect you to be out working. (he laughs.)

LUKE: The Academy didn't change you much...but you're back so soon?
Hey, what happened, didn't you get your commission?

Biggs has an air of cool that seems slightly phony.

BIGGS: Of course I got it. Signed aboard The Rand Ecliptic last week.
First mate Biggs Darklighter at your service...(he salutes)...I just
came to say good-bye to all you unfortunate landlocked simpletons.

Suppossedly The Rand Ecliptic is a Imperial non-combat commissoned vehicle/transport!

According to the Jedi Council(who wasn't around during all of this) but somehow is able to offers us this tidbit of wisdom. (http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20010927.html)

I guess that answers it, but I still don't like it, It means Luke would have had to have registered into the Empire! Like here's my social security number with my name SKYWALKER, and here is where I call home! :ermm:

Just read the other part of their script time together(ThanX Kh):

EXTERIOR: TATOOINE -- ANCHORHEAD SETTLEMENT -- POWER STATION -- DAY.

Luke and Biggs are walking and drinking a malt brew. Fixer and
the others can be heard working inside.

LUKE: (Very animated)...so I cut off my power, shut down the
afterburners and came in low on Deak's trail. I was so close I thought
I was going to fry my instruments. As it was I busted up the Skyhopper
pretty bad. Uncle Owen was pretty upset. He grounded me for the rest
of the season. You should have been there...it was fantastic.

BIGGS: You ought to take it easy Luke. You may be the hottest
bushpilot this side of Mos Eisley, but those little Skyhoppers are
dangerous. Keep it up, and one day, whammo, you're going to be nothing
more than a dark spot on the down side of a canyon wall.

LUKE: Look who's talking. Now that you've been around those giant
starships you're beginning to sound like my uncle. You've gotten soft
in the city...

BIGGS: I've missed you kid.

LUKE: Well, things haven't been the same since you left, Biggs. It's
been so...quiet.

Biggs looks around then leans close to Luke.

BIGGS: Luke, I didn't come back just to say good-bye...I shouldn't
tell you this, but you're the only one I can trust...and if I don't
come back, I want somebody to know.

Luke's eyes are wide with Biggs' seriousness and loyalty.

LUKE: What are you talking about?

BIGGS: I made some friends at the Academy. (he whispers)...when our
frigate goes to one of the central systems, we're going to jump ship
and join the Alliance...

Luke, amazed and stunned, is almost speechless.

LUKE: Join the Rebellion?! Are you kidding! How?

BIGGS: Quiet down will ya! You got a mouth bigger than a meteor
crater!

LUKE: I'm sorry. I'm quiet. (he whispers) Listen how quiet I am. You
can barely hear me...

Biggs shakes his head angrily and then continues.

BIGGS: My friend has a friend on Bestine who might help us make
contact.

LUKE: Your crazy! You could wander around forever trying to find them.

BIGGS: I know it's a long shot, but if I don't find them I'll do what
I can on my own...It's what we always talked about. Luke, I'm not
going to wait for the Empire to draft me into service. The Rebellion
is spreading and I want to be on the right side -- the side I believe
in.

LUKE: And I'm stuck here...

BIGGS: I thought you were going to the Academy next term. You'll get
your chance to get off this rock.

LUKE: Not likely! I had to cancel my application. There has been a lot
of unrest among the Sandpeople since you left...they've even raided
the outskirts of Anchorhead.

BIGGS: Your uncle could hold off a whole colony of Sandpeople with one
blaster.

LUKE: I know, but he's got enough vaporators going to make the place
pay off. He needs me for just one more season. I can't leave him now.

BIGGS: I feel for you, Luke, you're going to have to learn what seems
to be important or what really is important. What good is all your
uncle's work if it's taken over by the Empire?...You know they're
starting to nationalize commerce in the central systems...it won't be
long before your uncle is merely a tenant, slaving for the greater
glory of the Empire.

LUKE: It couldn't happen here. You said it yourself. The Empire won't
bother with this rock.

BIGGS: Things always change.

LUKE: I wish I was going...Are you going to be around long?

BIGGS: No, I'm leaving in the morning...

LUKE: Then I guess I won't see you.

BIGGS: Maybe someday...I'll keep a lookout.

LUKE: Well, I'll be at the Academy next season...after that who knows.
I won't be drafted into the Imperial Starfleet that's for sure...Take
care of yourself, you'll always be the best friend I've got.

BIGGS: So long, Luke.

Biggs turns away from his old friend and heads towards the
power station.

Droid
01-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I have always hated those cut scenes. I am so glad that they cut them!

It would have made no sense for Biggs to be talking about running off to join the Rebellion but by the end of A New Hope (at most days later) he is already a part of the Rebellion and able to vouch for Luke to Red Leader. Would have made NO sense.

Slicker
01-20-2005, 02:01 PM
It would have made no sense for Biggs to be talking about running off to join the Rebellion but by the end of A New Hope (at most days later) he is already a part of the Rebellion and able to vouch for Luke to Red Leader. Would have made NO sense.There is a way that he could have vouched for him but we won't know becuase it's very tough to get a timeline during the movies. ANH could take as long as a couple of days or it could be as long as several months which is what I think. Granted you're still correct in saying that wouldn't be able to vouch for him even if it is a couple of months but if Biggs has a prior reputation then it may precede him.

The whole movie timeline thing has always bugged me. There's really no way to tell how long the movies take in terms of days.

Rocketboy
01-20-2005, 03:03 PM
The whole movie timeline thing has always bugged me. There's really no way to tell how long the movies take in terms of days.That always bugged me with Empire. It seems to take place over maybe a few days.

CaptainSolo1138
01-21-2005, 12:43 PM
The whole movie timeline thing has always bugged me. There's really no way to tell how long the movies take in terms of days.
If you think about the traveling involved, each movie could take years depending on which corner of the galaxy they're going to. Even Luke's trip from Tatooine to Dagobah (ROtJ) could have taken a month or so. On a smaller sale, even traveling from Hoth to Bespin could have taken over a week. Note: I referenced the map at Supershadow.com. I know there is a map w/ actual distances somewhere, but I can't find it. If I'm wrong, by all means correct me.

Kidhuman
01-21-2005, 01:58 PM
The amount of time it took the Falcon to get to Bespin I believe was two weeks. It had no hyperdrive, hence Fett beating them there and setting everything up. Here is a thread of timeline questions from the past...

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=4101&highlight=Timeline

TheDarthVader
02-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Some of you are mistaken. LOL! From a certain point of view, Obi Wan never visited Luke. Only "old" Ben Kenobi! Luke didn't understand that the man was one in the same! :D It's kinda cool if you think about it.
Some dialogue to help:

Luke: Well, I stumbled across a recording while I was cleaning him. He says he belongs to someone called Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Luke: I thought he might have meant old Ben. Do you know what he's talking about? Well, I wonder if he's related to Ben.

Luke: But what if this Obi Wan comes looking for him?

Owen: He won't. I don't think he exists any more. He died about the same time as your father.

Luke: He knew my father?

C-ya

B.
TDV

Bel-Cam Jos
04-19-2009, 09:22 AM
This is the closest thread I could find without starting a new one, which I could have done, I suppose. But since it relates to a line given on Tatooine, I'll consider it close enough. :pleased: The all-six marathon on Spike TV got me thinking of a few things, and here's one of 'em. When Luke deduces that the stormtroopers will be heading to his home, Ben yells "Wait, Luke! It's too dangerous!" But here's the odd thing:

HE LETS HIM GO.

Now, I understand that Obi-Wan might feel that Luke would need some closure and time to grieve on his own. But, unless he felt in the Force that the troops weren't there anymore (and I see nothing that confirms that), wasn't Obi-Wan taking a risk that Luke would in fact be "killed too?" Or captured, which would completely nullify his years of watching out for the "new hope" for the Jedi? That to me, is "too dangerous."

But in fairness, after the completion of the Prequels, I do have more respect, sympathy, and pity for Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's trying to make up for his mistakes, and the errors of others. That's both noble and sad.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-19-2009, 02:21 PM
How would he have stopped him though? He was in the landspeeder pretty quickly, and Ben wouldn't have wanted to do anything to damage the speeder. They would need that for transportation.

sith_killer_99
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
That to me, is "too dangerous."

There is another Sky...walk..er....

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2009, 06:47 PM
He could've said "let me come with you! It might be too dangerous to be there alone." And then muttered under his breath, "and your sister isn't as powerful as you could become, anyways."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
It could also have been dangerous to leave the droids alone, even though the Imperials had obviously already been there. That bugs me in the cantina scene, that they just let the droids go outside alone. Well, I guess Obi-Wan already tricked the sandtrooper into thinking those weren't the droids they were looking for, but another could have found them.

And this thread has a really dirty-sounding title.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
And this thread has a really dirty-sounding title.I agree. Teh speling is ungood. Filthy treatment of the English language.

Darth Jax
04-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I agree. Teh speling is ungood. Filthy treatment of the English language.

me fail english, thats unpossible

mtriv73
04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
"You must do what you feel is right." That's the central core of being a Jedi. Ben could offer advice as any Master should for a padawan, but ultimately they have to find their own way in the universe. Of course, he wasn't yet being trained, but maybe this belief was so ingrained in Obi at this point that he had to let him go.

Or...maybe one of the props trailers accidentally caught fire and they had to use the burned up costumes for something so they put in this scene to lead up to Luke finding the crispy Lars.

What I want to know is, why doesn't anyone else in the 6 movies catch fire from blaster hits and burn to a crisp? Maybe it was spontaneous human combustion and the Sandtroopers weren't to blame after all. You'd think some part of Vader would have said, "Hey I know these guys, don't kill them. They were nice to my mommy." Anyone doing more than roughing them up would surely feel the Dark lord of the Sith's wrath.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
What I want to know is, why doesn't anyone else in the 6 movies catch fire from blaster hits and burn to a crisp? Maybe it was spontaneous human combustion and the Sandtroopers weren't to blame after all. You'd think some part of Vader would have said, "Hey I know these guys, don't kill them. They were nice to my mommy." Anyone doing more than roughing them up would surely feel the Dark lord of the Sith's wrath.How do we know they caught fire from blaster hits? The entire place was smoking, so maybe they were torched somehow.