PDA

View Full Version : "My nephew LOVES 'Star Wars' "... and other heartwarming tales from the aisles.

JEDIpartner
01-17-2005, 12:09 PM
I was in a Target the other day to buy some t-shirts and detergent and stuff, so I thought I'd cruise by the toy aisle to see if I could find a blue clone trooper. No such luck on that, but I did have a very nice conversation with a cute young lady who had an armful of figures and a lightsaber. She was eyeing the Darth Vader voice changer so I told her that I had picked one up a couple months ago and gave her the low-down on how it was rated one of the hottest Christmas toys and the whole eBay thing. I also told her that it was more impressive out of the box and told her about the features and how my nephew loves to come over to play with it.

She was looking for birthday pressies for her 5-year old nephew. She exclaimed, "My nephew loves 'Star Wars' and I just don't know what to get him." I told her that it seems like the kids are more into the lightsabers and the role play stuff these days and I see the kids in the neighbourhood as well as my nephew gravitating toward those toys rather than the figures... espeically ones like Yarua and Sly Moore and that. We had a really nice conversation and she left a little more confident in her purchase of a Vader helmet and lightsaber for her nephew.

Lucky little kid... :)

sith_killer_99
01-17-2005, 12:58 PM
My daughter loves Star Wars. She can already name most of the main characters in the OT, R2-D2, C-3PO, Stormtrooper, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Chewbacca and Boba Fett.

For Christmas I bought her the Jedi Force R2-D2/C-3PO and Darth Vader, in addition to the Galactic Heroes she already had. Once we were at TRU and she grabbed the plush R2-D2 buddy and I had to buy it for her, she was so happy to have it.

I don't really push it, if she enjoys all this stuff as much as I do, great, if not, oh well, it's always kinda just been my thing. But a few months ago she got into some loose figs I had laying around (no acessories). My wife said something and I said "Let her play with them, they are toys". Well she found my OTC R2-D2 with the electronic beeps and just had a ball with it, needless to say it's hers now. From there it just kinda snowballed.

Last night she really took a big step into Star Wars fandom, she actually requested to watch Star Wars as she said:

"I watch Star Wars."

Needless to say my heart soared and my wife said "She's definatly your daughter!"

BTW, she is 2 years old! She will be 3 in a couple of weeks! :D

OC47150
01-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Whenever I babysit my niece (she's six), we play SW. We go off on some adventure; my niece has three different identities she assumes, depending on who she's playing with. For the last year or so, SW has combined with Lord of the Rings. The hobbits, Aragorn and other LORT faithful cross over into the SW universe. It's fun watching hobbits battle stormtroopers.

My nephew (3) hasn't combined SW and LOTR yet, but stormtroopers hid in the closet.

When she and my nephew have came to visit the last few times, we end up watching the Clone War cartoons. I can't wait until they come out on DVD.

Kidhuman
01-17-2005, 11:40 PM
My son always grabs lightsabers in the toy aisle and tosses me one so we can duel amongstthe patron of Wal-Mart. He always looks at me and says when are we going ot see the toys. He is always saving his tooth fairy money and whatever other money he gets so he can buy SW figs. Gotta love him man, gotta love them all.

bobafrett
01-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Just yesterday I saw a mom and 6 year old son in the toy Isle of my Wal-Mart. They were looking over the few figures we had in stock. I went over and said "So you like Star Wars eh?" and the mother smiled and said "yes he does". I told her I was a fan of the Star Wars movies, and added that I had over 500 of the 3 3/4 inch line. She proceeded to tell me that another nearby Wal-Mart store had the Falcon for $35, and that Santa had paid a lot more. I thanked her, and once I got off of work, I headed directly to the other Wal-Mart, and picked me up one of the fastest hunks of junk in the galaxy thanks to the young Star Wars fan I met!