PDA

View Full Version : Why exactly did QT bleep The Bride's name in Kill Bill ?

2-1B
01-18-2005, 05:55 AM
It took me long enough but I finally watched Kill Bill Vol 2 tonight. First let me say that it was fantastic and I loved it even more than Vol 1 (which itself was awesome EXCEPT for that HORRIBLE anime scene).

So anyway, as the thread title asks, why all the bleeps ?

scruffziller
01-18-2005, 09:39 AM
The main gist I got from it was to keep Uma's character(Beatrice, which I could tell that was what they were saying even with the bleeps) enigmatic until the end when everything was revealed. It seemed like QT's style of film art. He is always doing things off the cuff.

Kidhuman
01-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I had this same conversation the other day with a few co-workers. We couldnt figure it out for the life of us. We just summed it up to Scruff's statement.

Rocketboy
01-18-2005, 10:27 AM
I just assumed it was becuase Tarintino is weird.

2-1B
01-18-2005, 08:00 PM
I guess I'm with you, Rocketboy. :D

Throughout Vol 1, I figured there was some actual reason for it but when we DO find out, I looked back on it and could find no reason at all . . . I dunno, to me it justs comes across as pointless and mostly obnoxious.

I'd hate to open a pay bag from Elle Driver though, I'll tell you that. :Ogre:

Rocketboy
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Thinking about it a little more...maybe he did it so it's similar to the contents of Pulp Fiction's brief case, which leaves it to the fans to say "WTF was that all about?"

JON9000
01-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Perhaps the inevitable commentary will shed some light. I hated the anime scene as well.

Kidhuman
01-18-2005, 11:39 PM
If my name was Beatrice, I would want it bleeped out as well

2-1B
01-20-2005, 04:28 AM
Beatrix. ;)

speaking of Pulp Fiction, I was thinking about it in the sense that for that movie, he showed events out of chronological order and that worked just fine, so with Kill Bill I wouldn't think it should matter if we knew her name or not. :D

Kidhuman
01-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Beatrix...that explains the whole silly rabbit thing with Lucy Lui.

scruffziller
01-20-2005, 10:26 AM
I had this same conversation the other day with a few co-workers. We couldnt figure it out for the life of us. We just summed it up to Scruff's statement.

I think what I meant by keeping her enigmatic was to somewhat make her become an automoton of revenge by hiding her name. Making her somewhat less human. Names are powerful. If we could hear her name outloud it ads an emotional attatchment to the charachter and I believe QT wanted that missing to give the movie the right feel. Somewhat to the same feel that you get of Clint Eastwood's "Man with no name" charachter in the spagehtti westerns.

Pendo
01-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Before we found out her name, I was expecting it to have been bleeped because her name was BILL! Imagine THAT :crazed:!

PENDO!

Kidhuman
01-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Before we found out her name, I was expecting it to have been bleeped because her name was BILL! Imagine THAT :crazed:!

PENDO!

We have a Pendo sighting. I was about to list you i nthe section of long gone forum members.

Slicker
01-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe her name was some as yet unthought of dirty word that would in no way get past the movie censors so everytime they'd say her name it would only come out as a bleep.

Pendo
01-21-2005, 11:21 AM
We have a Pendo sighting. I was about to list you i nthe section of long gone forum members.
I have been a little quiet latley, but I'm still around :). Nice to know I was remembered :D. I'm just a little cautious around forums these days with the Episode III release date looming because I'm still Spoiler Free :).

PENDO!

Jayspawn
01-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Tarantino puts little thing slike that in his movies, throws people off. In "Reservoir Dogs" after Nice Guy Eddie, White and Pink pick up Orange theres a shot of the car driving by and a yellow balloon bouncing by. Why? Who knows.

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I thought it was an orange balloon, since Orange was the rat in the group.