PDA

View Full Version : Computers are the worst, so are idiots

Rebo's_Guitarist
01-19-2005, 10:54 AM
So, th eother day I was going to install a new ceiling fan in the bedroom. Simple enough eh? Not. I went to flip the breaker for the room, being sure to flip right one. Hmm, well, the one labeled BEDROOM actually shut off power to my computer in the dining room, and now I have to get it totally wiped clean because the power failure totally screwed it up, it wont even go into Windows. This sucks, I am sitting in the local colleges library just to do my daily check up. Retarded, I wont have mine back till Monday.

By the way, to turn off the power to the bedroom, I actually had to flip the one marked BASEMENT/KITCHEN. Nice huh?

Exhaust Port
01-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Did you have a surge potector? No matter, I'm suprised that a power failure would screw up your computer. I suffer through 2-3 power failures while my computers on each year and haven't had any issues yet. Sorry for your troubles.

InsaneJediGirl
01-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I've never had problems like that either.Must have really overloaded the circuts to wipe everything off your computer.

Might want to re-mark all those breakers ;-)

Rebo's_Guitarist
01-29-2005, 12:40 PM
I finally got my computer back, but I still have a problem. I can connect to the net, but after about 30 seconds all my pages state Page Unavailable, while still showing I am connected. Is this a problem with my computer or my provider?

Another example is that when I got it back I am able to sign up for MSN if I want. I decided to try it and at the actual "Sign Up" page it automatically dials your modem to send your subscription information in to MSN. This doesnt work either.

As I still dont have the net but am able to check my mail via my mobile, please e mail any usefull tips to n8_lindstrom@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any help, I am totally having SSG withdrawls!!

Exhaust Port
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
I would check with your provider to see if they are having any known problems with their equipment. I was having issues about a year ago with my cable modem provider and it turned out that they were having problems with their equipment, I was having issues with the hardware from the street to my apartment as well as having a bad modem. As you can see I was hurting.

Start with them and go from there.

dr_evazan22
01-30-2005, 12:34 PM
I feel for ya Rebo! My computers been on the fritz for the past week also. Ended up having to replace my HD. I'm still having some problems, but it's at least stable enough that I've come back on.

Kidhuman
01-30-2005, 12:40 PM
You might need a new modem if it keeps booting you and such. Try re-installing the drivers and see what happens.

InsaneJediGirl
01-30-2005, 10:01 PM
I had to get a new modem for a similar problem Rebo.Still I'd check with your ISP to make sure first though before buying anything.

With the power surging here during the ice storm,I thought I was going to lose files not having a surge protector on this yet,but the force was with me :D

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-02-2005, 01:17 PM
kidhumanYou might need a new modem if it keeps booting you and such. Try re-installing the drivers and see what happens.

Didnt think of reinstalling. Can a modem partially work like that? I thought it was either it works or it doesnt.

InsaneJediGirlI had to get a new modem for a similar problem Rebo.Still I'd check with your ISP to make sure first though before buying anything.

Yeah I called Earthlink 4 times, and believe me, they dont know anything. All 4 times they told me to manually make a new connection, but guess what? That doesnt work!

I guess if KH's help doesnt work Ill have to bring it back to the shop, they didnt even have any ideas when I talked to them on the phone. Why can things just work?

On a lighter note, I finally got my truck finished, now I can sell the P.I.T.A and buy a new one:)

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
You might need a new modem if it keeps booting you and such. Try re-installing the drivers and see what happens.

Dude I owe you one, it totally works!!

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Glad to hear my friend. All is good now.

Yes, a program will partailly work in that situation. It willwork to the point of the "corrupted" part and then kick off. If it cant find a certain file it needs, it will shut down. In essence, you have steps 1-20, it does 1-9, cant find ten, so there is the problem....

JediTricks
02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
My dial-up modem occasionally locks at random times, sometimes just after I dialed in. The problem on mine could be the driver (which Earthlink can't help you with), the settings (which Earthlink can help you with, but the wrong tech can make the experience pointless or even detrimental), the phone line (which Earthlink can help you test for, shows on your screen exactly how much line noise there is) or even the modem (which nobody can help me with since my system is so old ;)).

If you've had any recent lightning storms, that could have fried your modem and it's shorting out. It's the right time of year and few people use surge protectors on their dial-up modems.

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-14-2005, 01:06 AM
So, my cd-r hasnt been working, at all. It wouldnt play cds at all, I reinstalled it and it plays them, somewhat, well, really crappy and skippy. It still wont burn cds at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Kidhuman
02-14-2005, 06:05 AM
Might have to re-install your OS. I had to do that a few times to get things working again.

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Ok, so, Im retarded. Whats an OS?

Kidhuman
02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Operating SYstem

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Ahh, and what exactly happens when I do that? This isnt going to be anything like the recovery I just had to do is it? Thanks for all your help bay the way, I really appreciate it!

Kidhuman
02-15-2005, 09:31 PM
You mihgtr lose some files, but usually overwrite it by popping the disc in, just dont F-disc, because then you los everything

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Ohhh, well dang, and Im unable to burn backups. Im sure getting the short end of the technology stick these days.................