PDA

View Full Version : Another new ROTS line. (Force Battlers) Oh joy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2005, 05:39 PM
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news?m=show&id=30919

What the hell are the Hasbro workers smoking? First Jedi Force, then Attacktix, and now these Force Battlers. Here's an idea: let the characters have accurately proportioned body parts for a change! I cannot wait until they turn all their focus back on the 3 3/4" line.

Slicker
01-19-2005, 07:46 PM
I think it was Rocketboy IIRC that posted about these abominations already being out, well at least on ebay where they're running in the low $40 range last I checked. Why they would make two lines that look almost identical ( this one and the Attacktix) is quite beyond me.:rolleyes:

Ji'dai
01-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Meh. I've got too much invested in the 3-3/4" line to bother with another scale. I didn't buy the Mega figures either. Can't blame Hasbro for trying to milk the license for all it's worth though. Personally, I'm sticking with the old standbys.

Kidhuman
01-19-2005, 08:06 PM
I dont care either way. I dont get the Jedi FOrce nor these.

jedi master sal
01-19-2005, 08:14 PM
I think the thinking at hasbro is to make toys that are marketed to kids. With the JediForce, they are clearly a kid product (though we collectors get them as well). This goes for Attacktix and now Force Battlers. The 3 3/4 line has now become a traditional collectors line of toys. So by introducing differnt styled and sized figures, they may be looking for what appeals to the kids. Though they know many a collector will get all or some of these new lines, just because it's Star Wars. I've already decided to pass up the Attacktix, but will probably get the Force Battlers as the loook like a cross between Jedi Force and Animated figs. (Though I probably breakdown and buy the Attacktix stuff when I can't find anything else new and need my Star Wars fix.)

I also wouldn't doubt that since Lucas has his hand in Hasbro with a good share of stock that he's impressed upon Hasbro to market new styled toys for kids.

-Sal

DarthQuack
01-19-2005, 09:11 PM
The 3 3/4 line is good enough for me.

plasticfetish
01-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Force Battlers = peg warmers.

I'm seriously confused now about Hasbro's toy marketing approach -- not just to kids, but to everyone. How many different lines are they going to start up before they realize that when they start up a new one, they diminish enthusiasm for others? I mean... there's only so much that I, as an adult collector am going to buy -- and there's only so much that I'm going to buy for my kid. Frankly, I don't think he'd care for these at all, given the fact that he's been playing with the basic figures for years. The 3-3/4" line is a fun idea, and has been for nearly 30 years, so what's with this skatter gun approach to grabbing the attention of new kid/adult customers with a million different lines?

But really, I think the biggest problem is that these Force Battlers look kind of cheap and don't have all that much play value. They don't seem to have much articulation, they don't have any gimmicks or interchangeable parts or accessories. They just don't look like fun, and that Anakin figure looks too much like John Tesh... so it really creeps me out.

:ermm:

JEDIpartner
01-20-2005, 09:04 AM
I saw these and immediately though, "Here's another round of 'stupid' from the folks at Hasbro." I honestly don't understand the point of flooding the market with all of these different lines. It's difficult enough for them to focus their efforts on one figure line, let alone - what, six (3.75", 12", Galactic Heroes, Jedi Force, Unleashed, Attacktix, Force Battlers)...? Seven? Seven lines of differently scaled and designed figures!!!

I don't mind the Galactic Heroes... but I'll mainly stick to the 3.75" line, some of the "better" 12" figures and some of the Unleashed. I think most of their demographic will probably be doing the same.

sith_killer_99
01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
I agree with JP on this one.

I buy all of the 3.75 inch stuff, but I am much more selective about everything else. I own less than a dozen 12 inch figs and only a handful of Unleashed.

I bought the some of the playskool/Galactic Heroes and Jedi Force stuff for my daughter.

The last thing I need right now is another line to collect. The more stuff like this out there, the less space we wil have for the main hobby (carded 3.75 inch figures).

Tycho
01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I'll approach these with caution. Right now I think I WILL buy them. I rather like them and look at them as Prequel versions of my JediForce stuff (which I'm still saving the receipt for and have about 75 days or so left in which to grow up and return them for my money back).

My collection is centered around display.

To that end, the focus is sort of like this:

Galactic Heroes and Playskool JediForce - just stuff to keep in one place and freely mess around with since I don't touch stuff I display once they're set in dioramas I would use these new Force-Battlers this way -

Unleashed - no duplicates of any character, augments certain "planet" displays with a "more mature statue-art addition" off to the side. -

12" Collection Highlighting Important Characters in small scenes - very little duplicate figures, adds intimacy with characters in larger scenes

3 3/4" Collection in Dioramas with vehicles

but I'm only committed to collecting the Galactic Heroes line in its entirety. I still haven't bought the easily found speederbike or X-wing from JediForce. I think those (if purchases) will wait until after I see what's left in my Star Wars fund post-April 2nd.

JEDIpartner
01-20-2005, 12:18 PM
The Speeder and X-Wing are in abundance here in Ohio. No one is buying them...

plasticfetish
01-21-2005, 12:21 AM
It's difficult enough for them to focus their efforts on one figure line, let alone - what, six (3.75", 12", Galactic Heroes, Jedi Force, Unleashed, Attacktix, Force Battlers)...? Seven? Seven lines of differently scaled and designed figures!!!Don't forget the "Star Wars Miniatures" thing. That's why the Attacktix line really confuses me. Now we have two of these games based on little statues going at once?

evenflow
01-21-2005, 10:00 AM
I pass on all these "new" lines, i will stick with the 3 3/4 figures.

JEDIpartner
01-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Don't forget the "Star Wars Miniatures" thing. That's why the Attacktix line really confuses me. Now we have two of these games based on little statues going at once?

Ah, yes... i forgot about those minging little things!!

Kidhuman
01-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Ah, yes... i forgot about those minging little things!!

I wish everyone would forget about them. (Hasbro included)

JEDIpartner
01-21-2005, 12:38 PM
It's been permanently burned into my brain... sorta like the horror of seeing a small child die in front of you. Yeah... it's that awful!!!

plasticfetish
01-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Oh c'mon... the Star Wars Miniatures thing isn't that bad. It's waaaay too expensive for what it is, but it's not terrible. (I realized that if you held a few of them, you could gage by weight which ones had bigger figures in them. I managed to score a Wampa and a Probe Droid that way.)

minging little thingsHahahaha!

ronhudy
01-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Those "Jedi Force" things look terrible!!!

That giant hand on Anakin reminds me of that guy in the Mortal Combat movie that had that metal fist thing...lame.

El Chuxter
04-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Y'know, call me crazy, but I bought all four. My strategy last night was to go after the 3.75" figures while my wife made sure I was able to get the Unleashed and a few other items. I told her I wanted the FB Vader, based upon my mantra, "Dude, it's Vader!" I also asked her to check out the Grievous from the FB line and use her judgment as to how cool it looked.

We met up, and she had all four. I started to put the Anakin and Obi-Wan back, but then I looked at them. In person, they look really, really cool. They have a great abstract look to them -- kind of what the Clone Wars may have looked like had Tartokovsky stuck closer to Samurai Jack in the character designs.

I've not opened them yet (like the bulk of my purchases, I'm leaving them packaged for now since it's easier to move packaged toys than loose ones), so I can't comment on their features. I think it's a bit odd that Ani and Obi-Wan have rocket launchers and Obi has a funky gas mask, but aside from that, I honestly can't think of any complaints regarding their appearance.

AttackTix, though, looks like poop.

BTW, Tycho, I'm sure you've seen by now that there are prequel-based Jedi Force figures. Not quite sure where that leaves these Force Battlers, but they still look pretty decent together.

Tycho
04-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I got the Force Battlers early and like them and their anime look, though General Grievous tends to fall over after a while. He doesn't stand as well on his own with 4 lightsabers weighing on him.

I also got Anakin and Yoda JediForce, Yoda being harder to find. He's very cute and I liked something cute for a change. I'll be buying Mace, Obi-Wan on Boga, and what looks to be a 2nd version of Anakin in blue.

I've opened the Force Battlers and while their moves are only about the same as 3 3/4" figures with action features (E2 Dooku, E3 Anakin #2, or 28, etc), I like them and having sort of some big, loose stuff that's easy to handle which by removing from a display to look at, doesn't knock over an entire battlefield diorama (like trying to take the Gotal out of the cantina without knocking down the band once you've got them set up).

I like playing with fringe lines for this reason. My 3 3/4" figures quickly get tied up in scenes I don't want to remove them from.

LTBasker
04-02-2005, 04:28 PM
How's the Vader Force Battler? I mainly just want it for display as the misproportions have that artistic feel. And that Imperial symbol shield is just freakin' cool. :D

It really makes me wish we could get a 6" line of main characters though. Everytime I look at it I just dream that if I look closer, I'll find a regular proportioned version. Kinda like looking into an empty fridge every 10 minutes expecting to see something you missed the other thousand times. :p

Tycho
04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
My Vader Force Battler actually did NOT include the shield. I like it tremendously though, but maybe I got an early production run because I got it like over a month before today's release date. But I searched and tore apart the packaging good - no shield with mine.

I do like making him swing his saber and duel. I wished I had an Alec Guiness "old" Obi-Wan for him to duel in Force Battlers now. I could hold my breath though. It'd seem natural for Hasbro to make one in the near future, as I think they are coming out with Han and Luke from the Classic Trilogy.

El Chuxter
04-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I had to open the Vader, and he is one of my favorite SW figures of all time. Not super accurate, but a really freaking sweet figure!

JediTricks
04-03-2005, 11:56 PM
I picked up Vader at Midnight Madness and Grievous at Target yesterday using the $1 off coupon. I wish I had opened Grievous first as this figure SUCKS and Vader is way cooler, but I opened Vader first and he's pretty nifty so it started on a high note and ended on a low one.

First, here's why I like FB Vader, he's got a great slightly-cartoonish look, he's big, has a nice cloth outer cloak, good colors, his saber has a removable blade, and he's got decent articulation for something like this:
Standard head, standard left shoulder, uni-jointed right shoulder, diagonal-cut elbows, rotating gauntlets, waist, and V-crotch left hip - the right hip is not articulated.
FB Vader can hold his saber 1 or 2 handed which is pretty awesome since very few other Vaders can make that claim. The shield is ok, if it weren't solid black plastic with solid white paint, it'd look more Force-y the way the package claims, but as it is it's like Vader ripped a logo off the wall, thankfully it's removable.

Second, here's why I hate FB Grievous, he's got an overly-cartoonish look, he has a lame white paint base color with little else, his eyes are not looking in the same direction, his saber hilts are identical, his gun has been modified to be a grappling hook gun with removable handlebars and VERY SHORT string, his gimmick is pretty doofy-looking, and he has NO articulation whatsoever except for his gimmick-centered standard shoulders and hinged elbows. In fact, the only thing good about this guy at all is that the identical saber hilts are made so 2 can be connected like Maul's saber.

2-1B
04-04-2005, 01:28 AM
I didn't plan to buy any of these but when I saw them in the store I just had to pick up Anakin and my nephew got the other 3 from his parents . . . I haven't opened Anakin yet but the Vader, Grievous, and Obi-Wan are all awesome as I have played with them after the lad opened them up. :D

El Chuxter
04-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I opened all four yesterday. All are really, really cool except for Grievous. I agree with JT: he sucks!

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Can either Ani or Obi-Wan do 2-handed saber poses? I wasn't initially tempted by either humanoid figs, but Obi-Wan has the classic saber in the photos I've seen which could be enough to tempt me. ;)