PDA

View Full Version : When is midnight madness for the ROTS figures?

Dexter
01-20-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm already saving up. :D

Kidhuman
01-20-2005, 08:07 PM
4/02/05 is the date.

DarthQuack
01-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Here's a partial dilemma for me. I just got a new credit card in the mail that I was not expected to get. I already have one that I use a couple times a week and I pay it off all the time. I'm not sure if I should activate the other one just to use for Midnight madness, pay it off and then cut it up. Any suggestions?

Slicker
01-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I'd got for it DarthQuack. The only reason people get into trouble with those things is because they get stupid. And SW is not stupid. Play it safe and you're all good.

DarthQuack
01-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm gonna wait to see how my next paycheck is gonna be, and depending on when I file my taxes too, love overtime paychecks :)

Kidhuman
01-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Here is a better scenario, activate it, give it to me, I buy tons of stuff, we split it, and then say it was stolen.

DarthQuack
01-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Haha, that's a great idea. We should get everyone on the boards doing that. We would all save money somehow and the credit companys would be screwedlol

Slicker
01-20-2005, 08:57 PM
And isn't that what's it's all about people. Sticking it to the man.

DarthQuack
01-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Damn striaght Kip. :D

Tycho
01-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Try to never use credit cards to buy this stuff.

Save money for Star Wars, and emergencies.

I've been doing so, and also plan my dioramas. I've been adding up how many of the first 24 figures I'll be buying from the masterlist GH just put out.

I think I'm buying like 95 figures or something.

Well, at $6.99 vs. $5.88, not including tax, I'd SAVE over $85 buying my stuff exclusively from Wal-Mart.

I may not be buying at Midnite Madness this year - and it wouldn't be the first time.

In 1999, SirSteve, Thrawn, and I were in Denver, Colorado for the last night of the Star Wars Celebration 1 (The Dagobah Convention). Well, the weather was better and we just went out to check out all the fun. I didn't want to haul all my stuff back on the plane to California - plus they don't let you take that much anyway. I got my stuff at Wal-Mart the next morning after my plane got in.

In 2002, I spent almost $800 at Midnite Madness. It was fun. But Wal-Mart and Toys R Us were not over $1.00 a part on price. The difference was less than 50 cents if I recall.

This time around I think I'll go for one last night of fun - maybe even try to be first in line - but I may not buy anything until 7am the next morning when my Wal-Mart opens.

jedimastergeorge
01-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Is that 4/2/05 release date confirmed for sure. for the episode 3 figures and is 24 all that is coming out that night.
thanks
george

jedimastergeorge
01-21-2005, 09:18 AM
And would that be 12:00 midnight saturday night or friday night into saturday morning?

evenflow
01-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Well i beleive it is on April 2nd so that gives us a good 2 months to save up.

Kidhuman
01-21-2005, 12:09 PM
I think that means at midnight on 4/2/05. Unless its a horrible April fools day prank on Hasbro's part.

Tycho
01-21-2005, 12:13 PM
You go to Toys R Us on Friday night at 6-7-8pm whatever. That's April 1st.

You wait until Midnight.

You buy like its the only day the stuff is going to ever be available.

You could save probably over $100 if you wait until 7am on Saturday to buy the stuff from Wal-Mart...UNLESS TOYS R US WILL LOWER THEIR PRICE FOR MIDNITE MADNESS.

I'm starting to think that a letter-writing campaign for that wouldn't be a bad idea. That if we get confirmation that TRU will sell SW figures for $5.88 on at least April 2nd (beginning at Midnite) - we'll buy from them. Hey -having your figures 6.5 hours earlier means something to a lot of SW fans.

There's no confirmation that only 24 figures will be available, but it fits with past precedent:

18 for E1: 8 C1, 5 C2, 5 C3
22 for E2: 8C1, 6 C2 box "a", 5 C2 box "b", 3 more C2 in box "b.5"
24 for E3: 12 C1, 12 C2

Episode 1.............Episode 2.......................Episode 3

Anakin................Anakin...................... .......Anakin
Obi-Wan.............Obi-Wan...........................Obi-Wan
Padme.................Padme....................... .....Padme
Qui-Gon...............Kit Fisto.........................Kit Fisto
JarJar..................JarJar.................... .........Darth Vader
Battle Droid..........BattleDroid......................Ba ttle Droid
Darth Maul...........Jango Fett.......................General Grievous
Queen.................Shaak-Ti.........................Shaak-Ti
C-3PO.................C-3PO.............................C-3PO
Darth Sidious........SuperBattleDroid...............Supe rBattleDroid
Senator Palpatine..Captain Typho..................Chancellor Palpatine
Ric Olee..............Tusken Mother...................Bail Organa
Watto.................Boba Fett Jr......................Blue Senate Guard
Ki-Adi Mundi.........Plo Koon...........................Plo Koon
Mace Windu.........SaeSee Tiin......................Mace Windu
Chan. Vellorum.....Sirch Fi Ek (Nikto)..............Count Dooku
Gasgano..............Dexter Jettster.................Chewbacca
Boss Nass............Geonosian Warrior.............Clone Trooper
.........................R2-D2.............................R2D2
.........................Royal Guard (Crimson)........Mon Mothma
.........................Luminara Undulli................Grievous' Body Guard
.........................Taun We.........................Yoda
.................................................. ............Emperor Palpatine
.................................................. ............Agen Kolar

However, during Episode 2, several more Collection 1 figures became immediately available......

.......................Count Dooku
.......................Yoda
.......................Anakin Hanger Duel
......................Clone Captain (red)
......................Zam Wessel

But they are just 3 more than what was planned for Episode 3 this year.

So we are very close on our estimates.

And I like typing up names on lists of figures or something....

sith_killer_99
01-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I got all my Soggy EP2 figures at MM at Wal-Mart. Why go to TRU? Are they the only one's doing MM out there?!?! :confused:

Our Wal-Mart had the asile corded off and let the 10-15 hard core collectors have at it. Everyone was pretty nice and we all seemed to find everything we were looking for, including the Yoda, Dooku Clone and company. :D

Kidhuman
01-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Our Wal-Mart had the asile corded off and let the 10-15 hard core collectors have at it. Everyone was pretty nice and we all seemed to find everything we were looking for, including the Yoda, Dooku Clone and company. :D

Thats exactly what the Wal-Mart here did. Except it wAS 4 PEOPLE.

DarthQuack
01-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Hell Yea, skip TRU, they don't get any more business from me ever!

Tycho
01-22-2005, 04:25 PM
I talked to my TRU manager today. I was there buying:

3 Wookiees
1 R4
1 Myo

My friend told me they had them and I'm squaring off what I need from this wave and then saving the gas by NOT GOING TO ONE MORE STORE UNTIL April 2nd - that's 2 happy months without toy shopping! (the exception being Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, and possible Unleashed like Aurra Sing).

Anyway, I told him they'll lose my business to Wal-Mart and to take it up with company officials about April 2nd.

I suggested they:

a) Open at 11:59pm April 1st (midnight - just want folks to be clear what day)
b) Sell things that opening weekend at $5.88 - Wal-Mart's price
c) match Wal-Mart anyway, if Wal-Mart puts out an ad.

Then they can have my business.

He said:

a) They will be meeting on it and announcing their plans for Star Wars in February. They want to maximize profits, their 1st Quarter is Feb-May1st.

b) They will match only if another Wal-Mart can verify they have the figures in stock at the time you're asking for the match. - I can see this being painful with my bags of over 100 figures I'll be coming to the register with. Oh - they're going to appreciate me if they do it this way - and I told him so.

c) Wal-Marts by me are NOT 24hrs. They open at 7 or 8, so TRU may not match an ad by them on that technicality - that they can't verify the product's in-stock.

d) TRU's initial position is that they are ordering more than Wal-Mart, and will supply the fans with more figures when Wal-Mart will sell out. They say it's official, TRUs are getting 100+ cases of the ROTS figures. Wal-Marts will not get that many. That's 1200 individual figures or 150 pegs (at 8 per peg) refilling 20 pegs of figures 7.5 times that opening day. So will Wal-Mart have more than 20 pegs of figures on April 2nd? Doubtful - and we know they probably won't restock them that day until overnight for April 3rd.

With an army-builder / diorama maker like myself going to Wal-Mart, even if they did get 1200 figures, I'm buying probably at least 100. If there are 12 other people like me - no one else but 12 people will get figures that day.

Midnite Madness / Opening Day is "everyone for themselves." Most sharing ettiquette goes out the window, because some people bring their friends who don't even collect, just so they can help them hoard and whine "I didn't get a Grievous" or whatever. I mean my squad is going in as a team, plus our girlfriends might help.

You can trust no stranger at MidNite Madness. That's part of the fun for me -the brutal competition. It'll all be available again throughout the next week. I'm just going for the thrill of the fight.

Hopefully Toys R Us won't ruin our fun. If so, I'll just go to MM to watch and look and laugh - and then I'll wipe out everything Wal-Mart has at 6:59am the next morning and save myself $100+

DarthQuack
01-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Are so many people FOR TRU, I most certainly am not. Maybe I feel spoiled because I have 2 24 hour WalMarts near me that I can use but I hate shopping at TRU for SW figures, so overpriced.

tagmac
01-22-2005, 11:04 PM
The TRU by is (or at least used to be) THE place for the scalpers. And it doesn't help that the manager is supposedly a scalper herself (which would partially explain why they refused to refill the cages with the Dooku cases the last time around. Because of that, I'm trying the TRU near my g/f, who's gonna come along to help me out. Hopefully all of the TRU's will be doing midnight madness, to spread things out a little.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-24-2005, 01:23 PM
d) TRU's initial position is that they are ordering more than Wal-Mart, and will supply the fans with more figures when Wal-Mart will sell out. They say it's official, TRUs are getting 100+ cases of the ROTS figures. Wal-Marts will not get that many. That's 1200 individual figures or 150 pegs (at 8 per peg) refilling 20 pegs of figures 7.5 times that opening day. So will Wal-Mart have more than 20 pegs of figures on April 2nd? Doubtful - and we know they probably won't restock them that day until overnight for April 3rd.

I'm really hoping that TRU will at least lower their prices and open up for MM to compete with WM. I'd rather buy everything from them than being part of the problem, but right now I'm very skeptical. This local TRU hasn't opened for midnight ever that I can think of, and definitely not for MM1 or MM2.

This possibility of TRU ordering 100+ cases, is this the initial order for MM or all together? It sounds like an extreme amout for something that may sell quickly the first few days (depending on if TRU opens for MM) but then will just hang out for the rest of the year.

Case in point. I was at the local TRU (Orem, UT) when they opened up to sell EP2 the first day. A tiny amount of buyers were there and people were only looking for 1) Count Dooku, Luminara, Royal Guard, and Taun We which were in short supply, 2) Zam which was available but also initially HTF, and 3) Clonetroopers for army building. The manager commented that they had so many figures (an entire wall was covered in the entrance section of the store) because they were the #3 selling TRU in the Western region for the EP1 sale, though they didn't open at midnight. For months there was little new to find at this store due to the glut of Dexters, JJBs, Geonosians, and SBDs. I think all I ever bought there was Zam's speeder because there was a sale, and an extra Cloney or two because they were slim pickings for a while.

My feeling is that they'll be shooting themselves in the foot unless they open for MM, lower the prices, and get a guarantee from Hasblow that they'll be able to have the "hot" figures available. After the week or month of MM, they should find a way of dumping what's not selling without huring their profit margin. Otherwise, WM will beat them to the punch and will continue to do better because TRU will have their pegs clogged and they won't be able to stock subsequent waves.

Tycho
01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree with Mandalorian Candidate.

That was well-thought out.

FYI, they told me that TRU has to have employees who volunteer to work overnight in order to do MM - along with a manager for the night who also volunteers. They might pay them over-time, too.

But what they do is they schedule a special shift possibly, so as to not need to pay overtime. That being the case, they need enough volunteers to pick up the shift. These might be people who'd ordinarily have a day off, so they do it for the extra (non-overtime) money - or who are just Star Wars fans themselves, as there ARE some of those.

If no one volunteers and agrees to the scheduling by March or something well in advance for the scheduling to work, then the idividual store doesn't have to do it. They might also base the individual store decision on individual Star Wars sales statistics.

JEDIpartner
01-24-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm just going to the Kmart next door for the stuff I'm not getting from KEBco when they open at 8am.

Droid
01-24-2005, 03:36 PM
For Episode I, I went to TRU at midnight and people were physically hurting one another in the chaos. I only got two or three figures and then left. I then drove to an empty all night Walmart and bought one of each. Within days, and from then on for the rest of 1999, every single figure of the first wave was readily available. Everything cost too much at first and eventually went on sale. I should have waited.

For Episode II, I went to Walmart the next morning after midnight madness and could have bought any figure I wanted. I bought like 10 and then waited on the rest until I saw the movie. I ended up buying the majority of the first wave Episode II figures on sale at KB Toys for $2 months later.

For Episode III, I am going to skip Target and TRU completely. I will go to Walmart the morning after midnight madness and buy the approximately eight figures I want to get before I see the movie. I will then wait to see the movie before I make other choices. I will never pay over $6 for an Epiosde III basic figure and I will probably buy most of them in like August for $3 or less.

I have learned that the first waves are always overstocked, easy to get, and the prices go down fast to get rid of the over abundance of figures. But to each his or her own.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-25-2005, 09:08 AM
For Episode III, I am going to skip Target and TRU completely. I will go to Walmart the morning after midnight madness and buy the approximately eight figures I want to get before I see the movie. I will then wait to see the movie before I make other choices. I will never pay over $6 for an Epiosde III basic figure and I will probably buy most of them in like August for $3 or less.

I have learned that the first waves are always overstocked, easy to get, and the prices go down fast to get rid of the over abundance of figures. But to each his or her own.

I think you're right on the money. That's what seemed to me to be the case for EP1 and 2. There were some figures that may have been intially available in small quantities but then were scarce, but then showed up in decent quantities. I'd probably do the same as you, but you can never know with Hasbro distribution what odd item may end up be in short supply. However, the first waves of a movie release always do seem to be available sooner or later.

LTBasker
01-27-2005, 03:08 AM
While everyone's having the "experiance" at TRU, I'll be going to Wal-Mart. It's been empty the last two times. Man it's nice not being rushed with other people around or anything. :D

I may try to run by TRU though if it's doing it if they have a certificate thing or something and since it will likely be the last time it ever happens. So it might be worth it. There was just way too many people in a small area during the TPM midnight madness...Wal-Mart's always dead quiet.

Figure probably get 1 of each figure, and then the next morning put another set in layaway with vehicles and such. Did that during AOTC- much, much easier.

Slicker
01-27-2005, 11:04 AM
I may try to run by TRU though if it's doing it if they have a certificate thing or something and since it will likely be the last time it ever happens.Speaking of the certificates did TRU give anything for the AOTC Midnight Madness? I got a certificate from the TPM one but dont' recall getting one from the AOTC one.

LTBasker
01-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Not that I know of, I didn't go to TRU during that but I haven't heard anything about certificates.

Kidhuman
01-27-2005, 04:02 PM
I never got any certificates.

JediBoulton
01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Here is a dumb question -- If all the hype is scheduled for 4/2/2005....

Then what is the BIG DEAL with the Preview Figures on 2/1/2005??

Managers at TRU / Wal-mart / and Target have been real $#@!% about the whole thing -- DO NOT OPEN TILL 02/01.

What the HELL -- for 4 figures?!?!?

Or -- is their a "slight" possibility that we could see something else tomorrow at these stores.

Also -- is there more comming out tomorrow other that 4 figures ???

DarthQuack
01-31-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't think anything else is coming out tomorrow besides the 4 preview figures. I'm not sure when we will see Anakin's Starfighter though...

JediBoulton
01-31-2005, 03:41 PM
I do not recall either -- but I do know that I will be trying to get some of this stuff TONIGHT!!

I dont like to wait !! :frus:

DarthQuack
01-31-2005, 03:44 PM
People always tell me patience is a virtue...to which I reply....NOT FOR ME!!!!:D

JediBoulton
01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Patience --
the capacity to endure hardship, difficulty, or inconvenience without complaint. Patience emphasizes calmness, self-control, and the willingness or ability to tolerate delay:

Virtue --
Moral excellence and righteousness; goodness

When is comes to MIDNIGHT MADNESS --

There is no ablilty to endure the hardship -- nor will I be remember and "moral" standard as I trample all of the young children under my feet...

I need help ~~ :D

jedimastergeorge
01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Thats rude!! grow up thats not right. over toys. midnight maddness is not the only time these figures will be out. yes im going to midnight madness but im going to leave the madness behind and take my time and have fun and be careful also. i went to the midnight maddness for episode 1 and 2 and i was getting shoved and pushed over..TOYS come on people!!! its not right that you people have to be mean and rude over stuff like that. you will get a chance at them. no need to hurt people over it!!!

sith_killer_99
01-31-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that was a joke. ;)

Fwad
01-31-2005, 09:39 PM
The new lego tie fighter with Darth Vader and his light up saber has the 2-1-05 date on the box also. I saw them tonight at Walmart.

JediBoulton
01-31-2005, 10:00 PM
jedimastergeorge -- I am sorry if I sounded like I was serious -- but I was kidding. You are 10000% correct in that these are just toys and people should not push and kick over them!! I am pleased that you caught notice of this and spoke up -- it makes me feel good that there are still a few of us out there that are watching out for the little ones who NOW get to enjoy the figures as much as we used to when we were that age...I have been known on MANY occations to give up that certain rare figure to that kid in TRU or Target whos eyes light up at the sight of it in my hand and screams -- OH HE IS SOOO COOL -- IS HE THE LAST ONE, IS HE, IS HE ???

I am a sucker for that kind of thing -- Happy (and Safe) Hunting !!

Tycho
01-31-2005, 10:23 PM
How are favorite characters would conduct themselves if they were collectors at Midnite Madness:

Luke Skywalker would try and use the Force to move quickly through the crowd and give everyone equal distributions, making sure the kids got stuff first, and he'd do it with a smile on his face. A Jedi mind trick or two would slow down the more agressive collectors.

Princess Leia would organize a committee of the collectors in line before the store would open, and take volunteers to each be responsible for one character and making sure everyone got them - and she'd coordinate this with TRU management to let these volunteers in early, so they can count stock and divide it accordingly to the crowd assembled. Entry time for Midnite Madness at Princess Leia's store: 12:35 am when all this is organized.

Chewbacca would tear through the store tossing collectors out of his way and grab everything. He'd then hold the crowd at gunpoint, and distribute everything fairly, but rifle butt anyone that got smart with him. Quickest distribution to everyone.

Darth Vader would secure the Toys R Us with squad of stormtroopers and take everything he wanted, with orders to shoot anyone else entering the building. The employees would be seen through the glass doors, on their knees, hands on their heads, surrounded by troops in white armor. Once in a while, Vader would order "YOU! GET ME MORE OF THESE OUT OF THE STOCK ROOM! DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME AGAIN!" When Vader was through, the rest of the crowd could come rushing in only to find he'd left only Bail Organa and Mon Mothma figures behind him in his wake.

R2D2 would use his electromagnetic overrides to unlock the back door and go in quietly, raid the stockroom, and bring any rare or valuable figures out the backdoor before anyone knew he was ever there.

C-3PO would stand outside and talk about what he was going to buy. At approximately 1:30 am he'll look around and notice that no one was listening to him, and everyone had already gone into the store, bought their figures, and had left already. Threepio will blame people's bad manners on why he didn't get any figures.

Han Solo would have paid off the truck driver to make an unscheduled stop before ever arriving at his delivery point. At some abandoned warehouse Han would make a deal or a trade to get his figures fresh off the truck. Then he'd reseal everything to make it look like none of the cases were tampered with, and he'd part ways with the driver and never have to go to Midnite Madness in the first place. In fact, if Han did, he'd be selling his extra figures to the people waiting in line before the store opened - for a considerable mark-up of course.

Obi-Wan Kenobi would use a Jedi Mind Trick on the whole crowd. "You do not need these material possessions. Your life would be happier and richer without them. You should go home and rethink your life. These are not the action figures you are looking for." He would also not buy anything.

General Grievous would use 4 lightsabers and kill everyone waiting in line. He'd then blast through the doors early, and take what he wanted, killing any of the employees who complained.

Boba Fett would use concussion grenades to stop the delivery trucks. He'd then board them and take the figure assortment cases he wanted, leaving the driver with no appologies when the truck finally showed up at Toys R Us with an empty hold.

Jabba The Hutt would buy out the entire Toys R Us chain, and then open the store early, but charge $20 a figure. If Wal-Mart dared undersell him, he'd buy them out too - or hire some swoop gangs to ransack their store and steal their merchandise if only so Jabba could sell those toys back to us through Toys R Us as well.

Wicket the Ewok would jump the line and summersault into the store and begin sniffing all the fresh new action figures. By the time collectors got in after him, he'd be burping and perhaps puking from eating some of them.

JarJar Binks would try to mimick that act, but somehow screw up a gas pipe that's heating the store, and manage to blow the whole pile of plastic sky-high because of something he does that is clumsy.

Just be glad none of your "heroes" are shopping at your store.

jedimastergeorge
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
jediboulton.....its ok i forgive ya! it just urkes me that some people act like that over toys. like i said before...i went to both middnight maddnesses and each times i had a hard time getting a figures because of people shoving me and grabbing a figure when im about and inch away from it you know what i mean? but thats all...its cool!! happy hunting to you too!!!!!