PDA

View Full Version : Who wants The Mouse Droid Sniffers' Association to have a forum at Celebration 3?

Tycho
01-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I've been thinking about bringing some comedy and fun to the event in the slap-stick sort of vein.

I'd like to know who would be interested in me putting together a forum?

For the event, I want to try and get a case of not-yet-widely-released Episode 3 Action Figures.

The first 24 would be out and most people would have them already. However, I have some friends at online vendors as well as major retail distributor warehouses. I might be able to buy a case or two for the event.

I'd spring for any of you attending to get a free action figure you don't already have - fresh from the case. The catch is, I will systematically crush each card and bubble before handing them to you. We're going to be opening them and sniffing them as a community, all at the same time, to get the full effect. These are not for someone's carded wall. You can display them after you've shoved them up your right nostril.

I will be inviting a representative of Hasbro to the event, so as to witness our satisfaction with actually having ease at finding new figures versus their later-year distribution problems they always seem to have.

The event will recreate a scenerio at Wal-Mart, just after 7am (regardless of the time I get a room for the forum at the Celebration). I'll be hanging up a large yellow happy face to help set the mood for the event.

I will then administer an eye test to the Hasbro representative. Backwards the letters on the eye chart will spell "I will ship more new figures." The Hasbro representative will be there to inform us that their company is not releasing figures that are too toxic for children to inhale.

I am also trying to secure 50 wrapped Mouse Droids directly from the company for the event. You will each receive an individually wrapped Mouse Droid with its scent preserved, upon admission to the event.

I will have a "Got Mouse?" shirt made for this occasion, but I can take orders if any are interested. The cut-off time for T-shirt orders will probably be in mid-March so the printer has time to get them done. I'm figuring a black T-shirt with white letters saying "Got Mouse?" on the back and maybe the SirStevesGuide.com logo on the front, provided Steve is not too embarrased to be hosting the Mouse Droid Sniffers' Association on his website.

We are afterall.....plain and simply wacko nuts!

But I'm really curious to see if I can get a crowd and a Hasbro representative to the event.

So I really do want to see who's going to C3 and who's interested in a Mouse Droid Sniffing forum. We'll add some homespun comedy to the whole event.

I have some experience with making people laugh.

plo koon 200
01-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Actaully, I have been trying to get on a forum for C3 for some time. Mary Franklins directed to guy who is running the collecting panels but he never got back to me.

I'm in, Tycho.

Bobby Fett
01-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Excellent idea! :crazed:

I can't make C3, but I'd be willing to chip in some cash to offset the purchase of the figures, etc. I figure I can deduct it as a charitable contribution. :nerv:

I would also like to buy a "Got Mouse?" t-shirt, if possible.

plo koon 200
01-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I have another question for you Tycho. I just moved to California and was wondering if you would be willing to share a Hotel room/split the cost with me. For me, going to C3 is costly and I haven't yet booked a Hotel.

Tycho
01-21-2005, 07:21 PM
My girlfriend is going with me to C3 one week, and not the next.

She's not terribly interested, and she'll miss school and work, so I'm not certain what'll happen. But she's my girlfriend, so I have to keep the option open for her.

If I can afford to, I'm taking her to Hawaii for Valentine's Day (the week before actually). But if that doesn't happen, I'm concerned that this will be the only opportunity I'll have to take her anywhere on a trip with me before summer vacation.

In any case, our hotel is $200 a night, so a split may or may not be affordable for you. Let's see what comes of it by mid-February. That's the latest I told her I'd wait to buy the plane tickets - but Hawaii is also the reason I'm waiting so late in the first place.

plo koon 200
01-21-2005, 07:37 PM
I understand. I would hate to stand in your way. I'm just trying to find the best way to make this as cheap as possible.

But, I can hardly wait for your panel. I really hope they let you do it at C3. It sounds like a lot of fun and laughs.

Slicker
01-22-2005, 01:17 AM
You need some serious help brother. This is quite possibly the strangest thing that I have ever read in my life and the sad part is, is that I know exactly what you're talking about and am completely guilty of it. You should really seek some professional help.:):p

plo koon 200
01-22-2005, 04:42 AM
Slicker, you should have been here in 2002 when Tycho first discovered the Mouse Droid. Now, that was a hilarious read. Actaully do a search for Mouse Droid in these forums. You may find the thread.

Tycho
01-22-2005, 06:51 PM
This is quite possibly the strangest thing that I have ever read in my life

Great! That's exactly what I was going for.

The sadder thing is that the next time around I'll have to struggle long and hard to come up with something crazier.

Anyway...

the sad part is, is that I know exactly what you're talking about and am completely guilty of it.

Yeah - we all used to sniff "ditto" copies and new books when we got those in school - and when looking too closely at new SW figures, you couldn't help but notice the pungent odor that's not there with older figures that have been out of the packaging and gathering dust for longer periods of time.

The whole thing started as a way to make fun of the drug culture - wearing a steaming wet towell over your head when you open a lot of new figures at once - etc.

The thread was wild and a great way to let everyone let their silly comments fly. The thread actually got something like 700 posts, so I sort of became infamous for it.

Then I greatly disturbed Hasbro by asking them if "there was something wrong with my Mouse Droid?" at Celebration 2 and drawing a ton of laughs from people who might've know what the story was behind that question, or at least relating to the concept that you can't sniff figures and sense anything unless they are NEW - and if Hasbro can't ship stuff to us so we get anything new...then we get cranky without a new fix to snort up. (again the parody of the drug culture).

Well, I think these comments started bringing this thread too close back to boring reality.

Imagine if you will, how insane Hasbro will think we are if even 40-50 Collectors show up to sniff Mouse Droids at a convention? I would die laughing if they changed their product label to read "Small parts may be a choking hazzard for children under 4. This toy is also not to be inhaled." -Something like that. To think that they wasted their time at a board meeting to discuss a bunch of looney-tune fans who show up at a convention wearing dedicated T-shirts made for Mouse Droid Sniffing and we scared them enough they'd make a safety policy change is hilarious to say the least!

But yes, I too DO sniff all my new figures. Mmmmm. Plastic. I love the scent of PVC at 7:05 in the morning...

Tonysmo
01-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Im in if its held on that Friday.. I wont be staying the whole weekend.. I know I know. I suck..

once you have the details of the costs of the shirt.. Id like one as well.

JediBoulton
01-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Count Me In As Well !! -- This Is Great!!!

Bobby Fett
01-24-2005, 09:17 PM
While we're at it, ask Lucasfilms if they have a license available for Mouse Droid scented candles. ;)

Dark Knight
01-31-2005, 08:46 PM
I'll buy a shirt. But I don't know if I can attend the forum :mad: . I have my younger brother to look after.

rust
03-05-2005, 02:11 AM
Hate to revive a dead thread, but I'm interestered. What date/time are you thinking?

Darth Grifter
03-07-2005, 02:19 AM
oh yeah, how come i didn't see this thread before. i'm totally in and good for a tshirt in L if you are still ordering tycho...man, i'm seriously geeking out for this con...i love it...

Tycho
03-07-2005, 03:21 AM
OK, there doesn't seem to be a chance for a booth or forum for several reasons.

First, I want everyone to be sure to attend the SirStevesGuide.com party that I think is being organized in another thread.

Part of this is that I don't have time and enough certainty to get this organized.

I might cancel my plans to go to Indiana altogether and forfeit my flight and so forth due to a pending (and huge) career opportunity. I'd sacrafice Star Wars if it meant advancing my career this far.

While I doubt this opportunity will happen (but keep my fingers crossed) I can't see myself also planning for a forum or booth or something at C3, nor do I want to take money for people's T-shirts and then have to mail them if I can't deliver them in Indiana.

Still, most likely, I WILL be going to the Convention. I have everything prepared for a great time.

If the Mouse Droid thing changes at all (on the T-shirt front - or even better- for the forum) I will post here immediately and get thing going fast. A T-shirt order at the printer I found would take less than a week. If it can still happen, I think I'll need to talk with SirSteve as to whether he'd want his site's logo affiliated with the Mouse Droid Sniffers' Association on "Got Mouse?" T-shirts. He may think it's funny and think it advances the notice of our forums community here with something unique and fun that other SW communities don't have. Or he might think that if we are all committed to a mental hospital, his site won't lose that much traffic.

Meanwhile, if I get a chance, I will explain to Mary Franklin why a group of us here put new Star Wars figures up our noses, and why we want to have a convention panel discussion about that. :crazed:

In all seriousness, again, the fresh scent of plastic just released from the packaging almost only happens when you find new figures. The issue is of more paramount importance when things are hard to find. With Episode 3 being released with a huge glut of new products that will be easily available, I don't think there will be a real lack of things to sniff.

When we really made a difference was during 2003's letter writing campaign when nothing was really shipping and SSG did a huge letter-send-out to Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys R Us, gathering official responses from each corporate - not to mention seeing the product distribution increase (whereas before, Wal-Mart said they'd only carry basic figures and lightsabers, and we saw them add Unleashed, Galactic Heroes, 12", and more).

So we will see what the future will hold and I'll still look forward to meeting all of you in Indianapolis!

Darth Grifter
03-08-2005, 01:45 AM
congrats on the career opportunity tycho...too bad the moise droid idea fell through, it seemed like a cool one. looking forward to seeing you there if you make it.