PDA

View Full Version : Episode 3 Sneak Preview Wave

Darth Alex
01-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm starting this thread with a quick review, I'll post more detailed thoughts tommorrow.

Grevious- Great Scuplt, cape stays on, but IS removeable. Nice joints, 10 in all, weapons fit well in hands.

Tion- Nice, nice job on the detail. Weapons(cane poker????) look really good.

R4- head swivels to retract or lower middle leg. A feature that is brand new and doesn't stink, go figure. Good orange glow on the eye, nice to see the feet wires/cables.

Wookie- similar to VOTC Chewie articulation-wise, helmet/anklets don't stay on too tight(go gorilla glue, hah!), really big(but not oversized) weapon.

These 4 don't have the 53 figure checklist, just the same Sneak Peek one that was in the Cartoon wave.

Happy hunting-this is a great start to the line. I'm army building already- 20 Wookies, and 8 R4s for various Saga scenes!(Yes, it's crazy, but that's Star Wars collecting for ya!)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
I got all four of these bad boys last night at Wal-Mart (new stuff at a WM, go figure). I paid $5.88 for each of them, a fair amount less than Target, K-Mart, or TRU.

The new packaging looks great! It was smaller than I thought, though it's roughly the same size as the old cards. It has quite a bit of it cut out for Vader's head. For some odd reason, the bubble is glued on the front and continues on the back a little bit, but is taped there. It took a knife to get them open, I don't see why they can't just glue them all the way around. The bubbles were a considerable amount thinner than the Saga/OTC figures, though it still takes up a fair amount of package. The cardback is really neat, though it doesn't show Anakin fighting Obi-Wan as it will on the real ROTS figures. There's a Sneak Preview sticker on each package, which doesn't come off. There's two inserts, one with the picture of the character and one that has the movie and figure's name. It's cool because the pictures are cut out, similar to the Clone Wars Animated figures. Unlike the AOTC preview figures, these ones actually have a description paragraph on the back, as well as pictures of the other figures form this wave and Anakin's Jedi Starfighter. Each figure also comes with the same booklet that came with the animated series III figures.

However, most people will open the packaging and it's the figures they want. So, here goes:

General Grievous (Sneak Preview)
The second Grievous to be released this year (in a series of at least four), this one is based on the realistic version as seen in ROTS. He's sculpted rather well, with intricate details and nice paint. He wears a cape, though it is removable, and his movement is hindered sometimes by it. He comes with a lightsaber and blaster, and he can hold them in either hand. The lightsaber is blue and in the same style as Shaak Ti or Adi Gallia, with an added belt peg. I don't know why it's there, as there's nowhere for him to hang it, nor does the blade come off - it might, but I'm not even going to try. It features the same flare effect we've been seeing since 2002, which I like. The gun is an all-new, all-black sculpt and it looks cool. Like all the other preview figures, he doesn't come with a base, even though Hasbro said that he would. Grievous has ball-joint articulation in his head, shoulders, and knees, in addition to regular articulation in his forearms, chest (instead of waist), and legs. This allows him to be put in all kinds of sweet, Jedi-killing poses. I give him an A-.

Tion Medon (Sneak Preview)
Not much is known about Tion Medon, other that he lives on Utapau, is played by Bruce Spence, and has wicked teeth. Thankfully, the figure recreates the bizarre teeth shown to Obi-Wan in the trailer, as well as ridges on his head. The sculpt is nice, it looks like the character, as it should. He wears red robes that go down to the ground and up around his head, giving him a creepy appearance. He comes with a cane and an enormous blaster, which he may or may not use in the movie, as it looks a little too big. his right hand is sculpted to hold the cane, and it works. He has ball-joint head and shoulder articulation, plus regular elbow and waist joints. He has feet, and I don't know if they move, but his robes don't open to show his legs. I'll give him a B+.

Wookiee Warrior (Sneak Preview)
This is the only figure in this wave without a true nome, and only the third Wookiee character to be immortalized in plastic. Rest assured, he won't be the last. This guy is HUGE. Not only is he very tall, but he's bulky and muscular as well. He makes Chewbacca look incredibly scrawny. He's growling, and I'd be growling if I had to defend my planet from invaders. His fur isn't dangling like VOTC Chewbacca, it's pretty tight on his body. Except for his beard-braids, of which he has several. He comes with a helmet, gun, and shin armor. The gun and helmet are very interesting-looking, it makes me want to see more of what Kashyyyk has to offer. He has ball-joint shoulders and knees, in addition to regular joints in his elbows, chest, wrists, and legs. With his chest articulation, he can stand back and look ready to see some action. He can be posed standing still, or shooting his gun, or running, or whatever you want. I give him an A.

R4-G9 (Sneak Preview)
This is the second astromech droid with an improper name, as it's an R2 unit. Maybe it's because he and R4-P17 are navigator droids? I don't know. Anyway, this droid is sculpted well, like the VOTC R2-D2. He has the foot-hoses, like ol' blue, which is great. His color scheme is really cool, and fans helped decide it a while ago. His eye lights up orange, and I still think it's dumb that they continue to do that, as it should be black. It looks cool, but it's inaccurate. Speaking of inaccuracies, the chrome-dome that messed with R2 is gone here. When you turn his head, his third leg goes in or out of his body. I didn't know until I read it online, as there's no note on the package. Thankfully it actually works, let's hope all the features this year work as well. Like the VOTC R2, he has wheels on all of his legs, which is cool. He has head, shoulder, and feet (all three) articulation. The coolest thing about this guy is the hologram of what I assume is Utapau, which plugs into his hologram projector. I wish they'd make an R2 like this, with holograms of Leia, Theed Palace, and whatever else I'm forgetting. I'll give this one an A.

plasticfetish
01-25-2005, 03:01 AM
Ahh cool. I'm glad someone started a preview wave review thread. (I like having them all in one thread like this.)

So far I've only found the "Wookie Warrior" (trying to get pics in the Database now) and I love it. It's got everything going for it that the VOTC Chewy had -- all the same detail, articulation and sturdiness that I loved -- but it's a cool army builder character.

I love the fact that you can take the armor off (with a little gentle pulling) and then you've got a genuinely generic Wookie character.

Super!

Slicker
01-25-2005, 09:07 AM
If you don't mind Darth Alex I'd like to add a little extra to it and ask how everyone likes the new packaging now that they have it in hand?

Me personally I love it. I wasn't too very impressed with it in pictures but now that I have I really like it. It's not nearly as big as it looks in pictures and the bubble's are as flat as they can be with the figures inside of them. The only downfall IMO is that the lower half of the bubble is taped to the back of the card instead of being glued. These new cards are a big departure from the other cards released for the figures and, once again IMO, a welcome change.

JEDIpartner
01-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Since the dome can't be turned independently of the "leg action"... how far do you have to turn it for the leg to go in or out. Can the droid ever be posed looking straight ahead when the leg is extended? *sigh* Cool but not cool is what I'm getting from this feature.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Since the dome can't be turned independently of the "leg action"... how far do you have to turn it for the leg to go in or out. Can the droid ever be posed looking straight ahead when the leg is extended? *sigh* Cool but not cool is what I'm getting from this feature.
As I said recently in another thread, once his leg is all the way out or in, you can move his head freely, though it clicks. You can have his head in any position at any time, unless his leg is part-way out. You need to turn the head at least 360 degrees for it to come out, maybe more.

JEDIpartner
01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Okay... that's fine, then.

Turbowars
01-25-2005, 06:45 PM
That must have been really bothering you JEDIpartnr.:)

Obi-wedge
01-25-2005, 11:04 PM
I would like for them to have made holes in Grievous' body for lightsaber hilts. I tossed his blaster aside and gave him a second saber while having him step on a fallen jedi with his bent knee action. Pretty cool preview figure. Highly recommend getting one to open.

plasticfetish
01-26-2005, 02:04 AM
If you don't mind Darth Alex I'd like to add a little extra to it and ask how everyone likes the new packaging now that they have it in hand?You know, now that I see them in person I kind of like them, but I don't love them. You're right, they are smaller than I thought they'd be.

The bubbles that I've seen were in really good shape, with no dents, etc. -- it's a good sturdy design. The whole thing is cool from a graphic standpoint, with a big photo of the character, a big red/yellow Star Wars logo and the fiery Vader background.

My big complaint is, as it was before, that there's no way to put these in a protective case, and I can really see the pointy card parts getting bashed up over time. The J-hook could have been a little sturdier also.

The use of masking tape, though understandable because of the way this is put together, might be a problem over time. Luckily it's all on the back, so if it ends up yellowing in a few years, it won't show as much.

So, all in all, the packaging is kind of cool, but it's not perfect.

AmanaMatt
01-26-2005, 07:35 PM
I scored the Wookie Warrior today, and man, he is huge as has been reported. I would have liked the dangling fur look a bit more as it seems realistic, but overall, he is an awsome figure.

Lazer Brain
01-28-2005, 01:32 PM
this is about are 4 gee nine,
I opened this droid and was checking out the ‘3rd leg’ effect and my has some problems, I think. It will not extend to its full potential and is very frustrating, it can recede to a nice look ,but when I want it to stand on all three the middle ‘leg’ is very short, is any one else having this problem? Or is it just me? The picture shows it lower than I’m able to get mine.i've even pulled it very hard , but to no avail.

frustraded...

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Hasbro has gone all out with their Episode III preview figures, definitely topping their Ep II outings in the POTJ-to-Saga transition packaging with better packaging and better figures. These Ep III figures are also a good mix of figures even though staying remarkably close to the Ep II preview pattern with a 1-film villain, a new astromech droid, a minor player, and an army-builder. This review will focus on these figures as toys first and preview items second, and will be "spoiler-free".

Packaging: 3.5/5 (all)
The packaging on these 4 uses the new designs of the ROTS line, die-cut around Vader's helmet, bold flames, a large insert photo of the character, and a rounded bubble which takes up most of the card -- the look is very dynamic and wholly different from any other recent Star Wars line. The cards themselves are the same overall size as the other Star Wars packaging even though a lot has been cut away for the helmet shape; the curved bubbles are slimmer than the recent OTC ones but wider and taller, though their curved shapes leave less area for posing and accessories; the cardstock and plastic used on these is about the same as the OTC line's, but the shapes here make it a little easier to bend the cards though harder to smash the bubble. Near the top of the bubble is a large "Sneak Preview" clear sticker stuck to the inside, and the bubble features 2 cardboard inserts for the photo and nameplate. Each bubble is glued to the card at its curved top, then has tabs on the lower half which are taped to the back of the card, and finally another tab glued to the bottom inside of the front of the card - getting these out is a major chore.

The cardbacks have another look at the character photo, the name, and "__ of 4" at the top; beneath that is a photo of the figure and a brief bio-note, as well as co-sells for all 4 sneak preivew figures and the sneak preview vehicle. Inside each bubble is a mini-catalog showing the sneak preview figures, vehilce, and the Super Soaker Wookiee Water Blaster, as well as the Vader Voice Changer, Season 3 Clone Wars animated figures, and on the back a look at the OTC role-play lightsabers and the new Tatooine wave of Galactic Heroes. On the whole, I prefer the OTC look with its classic-style graphics, mini-diorama design, and square bubble for more posing and accessories, but this ROTS preview packaging is definitely exciting - though I loathe how the bubble is attached to the card, getting the figure out generally involves ripping, tearing, and swearing.

Specific packaging oddities are found on R4-G9 with his 3rd leg halfway out despite plenty of room on the tray and no mention of his retractable-leg gimmick; R4's tray also warps his hologram some. Grievous' saber is clear-banded to his hand, but that's not all that surprising. And Grievous and Tion are packed fairly tight in their repsective trays.

Sculpt-Design: 4.5/5 (Wookiee Warrior; Tion Medon); 3/5 (General Grievous); 4/5 (R4-G9)
The wookiee is tall and burly, he has a hairy sculpt while the only sculpted hair hanging off are the braids around his head. The detail on his hands and feet are nice work, even the bottoms of his feet are sculpted except for the copyright boxes and pegholes. Without his necklace thing, he looks like bigfoot or something. His face really captures an angry look without being too over-the-top, and his deep-set eyes sell it even though he looks a little different from the character photo on the card. The only real issue is the sculpting around the hip articulation which is too squared off, but this figure looks pretty cool otherwise.

Grievous without his cape looks like a robot wearing a skeleton Halloween costume, it's a strange sight which I guess means it's working. The overall sculpt is decent but I kinda expected a little sharper work for the body and limbs, and some of the details don't totally match the character photo. The headsculpt is sharper than the rest of the figure, if you don't mind that contrast it looks pretty cool and ominous. I like how the right hand shows the lower thumb as part of his claw hand, but claw feet are too weird for me. The copyright text is on his lower back, but it's not too noticeable. My biggest complaint is the rubbery material used for his upper and lower arms, it's not the worst ever but it's pretty unpleasant.

R4-G9 has a standard R2 astromech sculpt, using a modified version of the VOTC R2-D2 body with all its detail successes (and its handful of flaws) right down to the wheels and separate hoses on the feet. The light-piping section of the dome sticks out the top a little, a common astromech figure problem that the VOTC R2 didn't seem to have. The modifications to the VOTC figure's sculpt include the holo-projector eye now being a hole, no removable doors on the body, and a major design change to how the 3rd leg works -- instead of being removable it now retracts by turning the dome several times. The overall look is still not as close to the source material as I'd like, but it's the best Hasbro's done.

Tion Medon has a great design with a nifty alien look, his thin body is made up primarily by a well-sculpted robe with a detailed pattern, and his dracula-like head is even better work. Tion is a bit of a salt-shaker with a rigid "skirt" as the lower half of his body, but he does actually have legs underneath and his boots have sculpted detail even though you can barely see them. Tion's hands have a gaunt shape to them, and I really like how the right one is hollowed out to hold the cane without looking too weird. The best work is on the head, with the sculpted fingerprint-like lines and just the tiniest hint of his crazy teeth. The facial features are a little off from the card's character photo, but he has lots of personality in that face none the less and looks perhaps even more realistic than the character photo.

Articulation: 5/5 (Wookiee Warrior); 4/5 (General Grievous; R4-G9); 3.5/5 (Tion Medon)
Our nameless wookiee here has great articulation with at least 12 points (depending on how you count them): ball-jointed head, universal shoulders, diagonal-cut elbows, standard wrists, universal-jointed mid-torso, standard hips, and universal knees. (Universal-joints are like ball joints except instead of using a ball & cup, they use a hinge joint connected to a rotation joint.) The head is fairly restricted by the hair design, and the mid-torso has limited range leaning forward and back and can rotate 360 degrees but can't tilt; the other joints however are pretty much without restriction and only the hips look even a little odd.

The general has at least 10 points: ball-jointed head, universal shoulders, rotating forearms, rotating upper torso, standard hips, and universal knees. The head has a pretty good range of motion, and the shoulders and knees are decent too. The upper torso in place of waist articulation works well enough as it can rotate 360, and is more like how the human body rotates than waist articulation, but I would have liked to see a tilt or lean added here as well. If you have Grievous sitting, pay attention to the right hip when you straighten that leg back out since the top will catch on the behind. I don't care for the rotating forearms for some reason, I guess because there's no elbow articulation as well. The big issue I have with Grievous though is that the shoulder articulation is badly hampered when wearing the cape.

R4-G9 has standard modern astromech figure articulation, standard hips, hinged ankles, rotating dome... it's pretty much all a movie astromech prop can do, except those props can slide their ankles up and down the legs a bit. There's one gimmick though which works great, turn the droid's dome around one way and his middle leg retracts, turn it the other and it extends; once the leg is fully retracted or extended you can continue to turn the dome that same direction as much as you want - a very nice feature.

Tion gets no leg articulation but still clocks in with at least 8 points: ball-jointed head, univeral shoulders, diagonal-cut elbows, standard wrists, and standard waist. The head is fairly restricted by the tall collar of the jacket, but still gets some twist and tilt action in; the jacket also gets in the way of the shoulders a little, but nowhere near as bad as the head. The right elbow is a little loose on mine, but it's not a real problem.

Pose: 5/5 (Wookiee Warrior); 3/5 (General Grievous); 2.5/5 (R4-G9); 4/5 (Tion Medon)
The Wookiee Warrior has a neutral pose with standard cupped hands. The articulation givestons of pose potential, and the diagonal elbows can let the arms straighten - though the left looks a little strange this way. Sasquatch here can also stand on his own very easily which definitely rules

Grievous, despite his decent articulation, is preposed at the ankles, elbows, hips, and especially the wrists and hands; his bent ankles and wide-stance right hip give me the most irritation in this department. The shoulders are designed to keep the arms away from the body and the elbows are slightly bent; the left hand is cupped specifically to hold a gun, and the right hand is bent way down for an action pose and the fingers are very open to the point where he can't really hold the saber. Without the cape it isn't hard to get him to stand by himself; but the cape makes a challenge out of posing, and standing in the cape without a base requires more effort.

R4-G9 stands in 3-legged mode fine, and since he has wheels in his feet he rolls too (not that well though), but those wheels make his feet lean forward or back in 2-legged mode - this can make it challenging to stay standing on smooth surfaces if the balance isn't just so. At least the VOTC R2-D2 design has the ankles and legs kept at more realistic angles in 3-legged mode.

Tion Medon gets a very neutral pose to him, and although his neck is very restricted he gets a lot of character out of the way you can tilt and move the head. The right elbow articulation lets you pretty much straighten out that arm, but the left elbow articulation does not; luckily, the universal-shoulders allow for a lot of great poses. The left hand is a trigger-pulling pose, while the right one is cupped to hold the cane or just look normal otherwise. Tion obviously can't bend at the waist, but he stands like a pro.

Paint-Deco: 3/5 (Wookiee Warrior; R4-G9); 4/5 (General Grievous); 4.5/5 (Tion Medon)
Here's where things get a little dicey for our wooly friend, the Wookiee Warrior is cast in brown and then given darker brown shading paint on various sections of his body... the problem is that none of this shading lines up with the other pieces, so it doesn't fade in and out, it just goes from dark to light when 2 pieces meet and gets worse when articulation is used. The worst offender is the arms, the hands are way darker than the forearms, especially if the elbows are bent, the lower arms don't always match up with the upper arms, and the hinges for the shoulder joints completely don't match. There's also a subtle gold-ish overspray used a little as an accent on his fur, but it's used too sparingly. His saving grace is the detail work on his hands, feet, and especially his facical features which all look very alive - double-check the eyes for slop though, I saw a couple that were crosseyed.

Grievous has only a few colors: bone-tan, metallic dark gray, and dark green. The white and red cape bring a lot to the party, but it's an accessory so I'll mention it later. The tan parts all show weathering paint, but the weathering on the head is much more extreme than the rest of the body so it seems a little odd. The dark green of the mid-torso brings nothing to the party because unlike the character photo, there's no details to bring it alive and it's so dark it blends with the metallic dark gray. The paint runs from neat to a little sloppy and back again depending on which part you're looking at, and the work on the head is again better than the rest. The humanoid eyes set in dark red are a small but interesting contrast, but I saw a LOT of sloppy paint jobs here so especially be mindful of this when choosing yours.

R4-G9's deco really doesn't say much to me, it's like a gold version of R2-D2 and seems uninspired to me - despite the fact that Lucas let fans choose the look of this droid character. The dome is non-vac-metallized for once, but it's gold and has bronze as the color for all the dome doors and accents, see a problem? That's right, they're almost the exact same color, so most of the detail gets lost; the only dome elements that survive are the silver rear light and the translucent orange light-piped main radar eye (and the top circular door that goes to that) - kinda stinks that we got another light-piped radar eye, especially in orange since the character photo shows this as dark blue. The rest of the body is white with pale bronze accents, a few silver details which are all good work, and black hoses on the feet. The legs are unfortunately far less weathered than the main barrel body which creates a contrast, and I don't know about the subtle angle shapes of the side of the body.

Mr. Medon's dark red outfit is offset by his light gray skintone, yet the area around his eyes and cheeks is also dark red so the contrast seems stranger because it ties into some of his features - pretty keen if you're a weird alien guy. Tion's head is spot-on with a subtle paint wash to bring out the sculpted lines; the head also sports big black eyes with a tiny bit of white, and red around his crazy teeth. The fingernails, even on the thumb, are painted a dark gold color and are very tight work. The outfit has a texture sculpted to it, so a paint wash was applied to bring it out, this looks really good on the upper body - working well from arm pieces to torso piece - but there isn't as much wash (if any) on the leg section so it's a touch lighter in this textured area. The only real problem is that the "skirt" section has silver accents at the end of every triangle shape, but the silver paint here is incredibly sloppy.

Accessories: 5/5 (Wookiee Warrior; Tion Medon); 4/5 (General Grievous); 3.5/5 (R4-G9)
Despite the catalog's claim, I don't think that the Wookiee Warrior has a bandolier, the thing around his neck isn't a belt and has no ammo boxes. The thing around the wookiee's neck is removable either by stretching it over his head or just popping his ball-jointed head off, it's supposed to be a furry shoulderpad and some ropes holding a metal torso/crotch plate, and while the sculpting is good it doesn't really seem that furry to me; of course, it also restricts the shoulder's movement a bit. The wookiee has a metallic bronze helmet with green accents painted onto the crest and scales sculpted into it - it looks good and fits, but doesn't really stay on his head too well. He's also sporting a brown and gold wookiee blaster rifle, it doesn't really look much like a weapon to me, more like a Star Trekian musical instrument, but he can hold it in several different ways. The only real disappointment here is the shin-guards which are flat gray and clip halfway around his lower legs, they are supposed to match the chest plate but look very cheap and plasticky, and it doesn't take much to get them to pop off. These accessories really change this guy's look from bigfoot to warrior though.

Grievous starts off with his big accessory, his white and dark red rubbery cape which pegs into 2 small holes in his upper chest; the inside of the cape has a subtle texture to it, and the outside has its own wrinkles and texture as well as a large gray painted pattern. The colors work well with the character, and the shape fills out the lanky figure turning him from a little awkward to imposing. The blaster is a modified take on the Battle Droid blaster, it has a sharp sculpt to the point where you can make out the finely-textured grip. The saber is a generic Saga saber with corresponding removable flared blue blade, the hilt has a long peg on it but no hole on the figure to hold it, perhaps it's there to try to anchor it against the open hand.

R4-G9 only comes with 1 accessory, but it's pretty cool, it's a hologram of a planet with blast-type projection effect that plugs into the hologram projector eye. The planet and projection effect are translucent blue plastic, and then the planet has some of its sculpted landmasses painted green, though somewhat sloppily. When plugged into the droid, the projection stands somewhat wobbily on a single blast-effect stalk and this tends to bend like most blast-effects.

Tion Medon has a cane accessory that seems totally in step with him, and then a long rifle which seems a little less in character (considering Tion reminds me a bit of an Imperial Dignitary and I can't picture them wielding a weapon). Both accessories are cast in silver plastic and have fantastic sculpts with lots of details, and he has no problem holding either - although the cane sometimes falls out of his hand if it's not against the ground. The cane has a purple golfball-like topper, while the rifle has dark metallic sections and a few small, well-painted purple accents; both accessories are somewhat rubbery though.

Overall: A (Wookiee Warrior; Tion Medon); B- (General Grievous); B (R4-G9)
The Wookiee Warrior is a very cool figure with tons of articulation and a good number of accessories, his biggest flaw is a mismatched paintjob, but he's still a great army-builder - especially with his armor pieces all removable. General Grievous is the next Darth Maul/Jango Fett, but this figure doesn't really do anything for me and seems just as overhyped as Jango & Maul. Grievous' pose and articulation issues factor heavily into his rating, but the soft sculpt and character design aren't my cup of tea either. R4-G9 is not really an R4 droid, but he's cool none the less, I can't get enough of his leg-deploying gimmick; if his paint/coloring wasn't such an issue, he'd probably be another "A" figure in this wave. Finally, while my numbers say the wookiee is the best, I seem to like Tion Medon better just because he's a little more alien, I dig how he holds his cane, and his awesome head design and paint really impress me.

All in all, this Ep III preview wave seems way more successful than the Ep II preview wave, the aliens are more alien, the army-builder is super-poseable and has lots of accessories, and the droid actually has a role in the film and a new gimmick... all of this with better articulation all around and a first look at the bold new packaging design. I can't say I'm happy about the price increase, but at least this preview series isn't a waste of collectors' time.

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 12:56 AM
The bubbles were a considerable amount thinner than the Saga/OTC figures, though it still takes up a fair amount of package.At first I thought you meant the material was thinner, then I figured out you meant the bubble profile. I compared 'em to the OTC Jawas bubble, it's not much slimmer but it is a little, and it's slimmer than a lot so I guess it's fair to say. Still, I really liked how much space was allowed for posing and accessories on the Saga and OTC bubbles, with the curvature of these already slimmer bubbles there's barely room for the figures here.

There's a Sneak Preview sticker on each package, which doesn't come off. The sticker is on the inside, and all 4 of mine already have air bubbles in them, they could easily come off... once you open 'em. :D

There's two inserts, one with the picture of the character and one that has the movie and figure's name. It's cool because the pictures are cut out, similar to the Clone Wars Animated figures. This bothered me a little because getting the trays back into the bubbles if you half-open the bubbles from the bottom gets messy with those 2 inserts. Plus, like the rest of this packaging, 2 inserts seems like another expensive waste of packaging that the customer is paying more for.

I don't know why it's there, as there's nowhere for him to hang it, nor does the blade come off - it might, but I'm not even going to try. I think the peg is to hold up against the bottom of his right hand, but I wondered the same thing. And the blade easily comes off on mine, but I did notice some goo residue so maybe it was glued in place.

He has feet, and I don't know if they move They don't, but they are sculpted to a smaller plastic skirt rather than just being plugged into the larger skirt like some recent salt shakers were.

only the third Wookiee character to be immortalized in plastic. 4th actually: Chewie, Yarua, and Rorworr from that "Invasion of Theed" game (yeah, I know, just a retooled Chewie, but it's a different character none the less). Also, you could count Chewie as Snoova from the SOTE line as another wookiee character if you so desired.

It's got everything going for it that the VOTC Chewy had -- all the same detail, articulation and sturdiness that I loved Actually, VOTC Chewie has more range of motion in his torso joint because it's a ball-joint there and this Wookiee Warrior is a universal joint so it doesn't lean to the sides; Chewie also had uni-jointed elbows where this wookiee has diagonal cut joints, and Chewie's got ankle articulation that this guy doesn't.

I love the fact that you can take the armor off (with a little gentle pulling) and then you've got a genuinely generic Wookie character. Me too, or mix-n-match the pieces for different soldier characters. Without his gear, he looks like Sasquatch though. :D

If you don't mind Darth Alex I'd like to add a little extra to it and ask how everyone likes the new packaging now that they have it in hand?I dislike it less than I was expecting, but I saw a LOT of creased cards when I found mine which will be an issue for some folks, and the bubbles don't hold as much, and I really hate how the bubbles are attached, as I said in my review the most common way to free these will be the RTS method. ;)

The only downfall IMO is that the lower half of the bubble is taped to the back of the card instead of being glued. That wouldn't have mattered too much to me (because it would have been easier to take figs out of the cards) except the bottom flap of the bubble is then glued to the card again. What's the point of that?!?

there's no way to put these in a protective case, and I can really see the pointy card parts getting bashed up over time. The J-hook could have been a little sturdier also. Wow, I hadn't thought about the standard case issue, that's a good point, the bubble goes all the way to the edge! The curves of the card were very often creased when I saw 'em, and the J-hook support on the back is too flimsy I think because I saw these getting messed up too.

The use of masking tape, though understandable because of the way this is put together, might be a problem over time. I hadn't thought about that either, but it's an interesting point, it'll get grody or rip off the backing. Heck, on one of mine the tape is all bunched up so dust and moisture can gather in there, it's a good thing I'm an opener or I'd be really honked!

I opened this droid and was checking out the ‘3rd leg’ effect and my has some problems, I think. It will not extend to its full potential and is very frustrating, it can recede to a nice look ,but when I want it to stand on all three the middle ‘leg’ is very short, is any one else having this problem? Or is it just me? The picture shows it lower than I’m able to get mine.i've even pulled it very hard , but to no avail. The leg isn't supposed to come out that far I think, the small toys have always gotten this wrong, the 2 small cylinders should only reach to the opening, and the side legs should only go back so the top of the ankle is parallel with that area of the barrel body. When the 3rd leg is fully extended and the ankle bent, the other 2 ankles should only bend to correspond to that bend so they all rest flat on the floor (or parallel technically since there are wheels) which keeps the side legs very close to upright.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Just found the preview wave today. I got two of the Wookiee Warrior so I opened one. That is one Kong a** figure!

Actually, VOTC Chewie has more range of motion in his torso joint because it's a ball-joint there and this Wookiee Warrior is a universal joint so it doesn't lean to the sides
Cool! I hadn't noticed that on my VOTC Chewie.

The packaging is all right I guess. It will just take some getting used to. I almost didn't notice the figures when I found them at Wal-Mart. They only had a few Wookiees. Target looked they had just filled their pegs as they had plenty of each.

jjreason
01-30-2005, 11:03 AM
I got my Preview wave yesterday morning, and am very pleased with all of the figures (Tion Medon being my favourite - he looks great).

Quick question for the masses: did anyone else encounter great and vast differences in the R4G9 carbon/dirt paint applications? The store where I got mine put out 4 cases, and I had the luxury of comparing 8 droids before I chose mine. In the end I wound up buying 2 of them, as exactly half of the droids had the grey paint touches on the body, and half did not. I don't know if these are errors, or if they're shipping "clean" and "dirty" variants of this figure. Anyone else with input?

plasticfetish
01-30-2005, 01:37 PM
exactly half of the droids had the grey paint touches on the body, and half did not. I don't know if these are errors, or if they're shipping "clean" and "dirty" variants of this figure. Anyone else with input?Hmmm. So it was like blaster marks on the them, or just aging done with grey paint? I've only seen one of these in a store so far, so I dunno. Could be a variant going around...

:confused:

jjreason
01-30-2005, 02:23 PM
No, not blaster marks per se. The "wear" is done with a very light grey coloured wash over the torso. I have one with the wash and one without. The one with the wear marks appears to match the package photo as there are some light grey marks apparent on the droid in the pic. I would have assumed it was just an error had there not been equal amounts of each.

Of note, the ones with wear marks showed a great disparity in the placement and the quantity of wash on the figs. The clean ones at my store might have gone through when the grey had run out or something. The only way I think we can know for sure is to hear from someone who opens a factory case of this wave to see if they got both worn or worn and one clean.

plasticfetish
01-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, in that case I think you're right, it was probably just an error. Something to look for when these do start showing up in large numbers in a few days.

-----

...and about that, I'm completely amazed at what a bunch of tight a**es the retailers in my area are. It seems like all of the stores are really holding to the Feb 1st release date. Except for a few random figures here or there, I've seen next to nothing.

Lazer Brain
01-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Well,the r4g9 that i have would not stand right, where all 3 feet should be parallel with the ground. So, I shaved some material from behind the foot so it could rotate more to the back that has seemed to fix his stance. Now I can place the holo in him and he can stand correctly.

Looks better too.

later

DarthQuack
01-31-2005, 10:44 AM
I found mine last night at WalMart and picked up one of each figure. I only saw one R4-G9 and he was hidden behind some lightsabers....I swear...some people don't know how to hide figures. You don't hide them with other Star Wars figures, you go over to the Barbie section and stash it over there, so I didn't feel bad taking it. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that they have tape, but that it's on the back doesn't make me as mad as I could have been.

plasticfetish
02-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Found General Grievous today. Overall a fun figure, but... it has it's problems.

I'm still looking for Tion Medon, so I'll hold off on my review of all four figures until I find him.

In the mean time (and because I can't seem to upload to the Database anymore) here's some pics of R4, a Wookie, and the General...

DarkArtist
02-04-2005, 09:45 PM
found all 4 at toys r us in east brunswick nj. I like what I see. grievous has a few problems, hard to stand and once you remove the lightsaber from his hand he doesn't want to hold it again. design does however improve this figure greatly, i just hope that later releases are more accurate and detailed. Overall Grade A-

R2 not much to say, typical r2 mold with new color and the planet accessory which is alright. mine is already sagging, can forsee in the future that either the little connector stub will break off or eventually the planet will be touching the ground.
Overall Grade B

Tion Medon like the pose, simple, no action pose, just standing stiff. the face coloring is extremely gray, even though he look white in the trailer. weapons are great detailed.
overall Grade A

Wookie Warrior Amazing detail, very fierce, good articulation, my only
problem is that he looks too planet of the apes like. Same size as the votc chewie. looking forwars to seeing more of these guys.
Overall Grade A

if this is an indication of things to come on April second then we should be in for a nice treat from Hasbro :) :) :)

Kidhuman
02-06-2005, 08:54 PM
I found all four today. I picked them up along with an extra Grievous, and 2 Wookie Warriors. I put them allonlay-a-way except 1 grievous.

I actually opened him

I think its a good figure. I love the articulation on him. The 2 problemsa I have with him are him standing and his right hand cant hold squat. I think the paint job is good. Good choice of Weapons. The articulation is kind of hidden on him. I didnt thinmk his arms would turn, but they do. His cape is great. I love the design on it.

I would give him a B overall.

plasticfetish
02-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I think its a good figure. I love the articulation on him. The 2 problemsa I have with him are him standing and his right hand cant hold squat.Yep, the "standing" thing is my biggest problem with him. I tried heating and bending his ankles today, then I popped him in the fridge for a bit to harden him up -- after that he was standing just fine. A few hours later I looked at him, and his ankles had gone back to the way they'd been in the first place. :ermm: So, he tips forward when he's wearing his cape. :neutral:

The cape should be a bit shorter. That would have helped a bunch.

Kidhuman
02-06-2005, 10:47 PM
If you put the cape on in the right position it actually helps him stand up. This is one figure that needs a stand.

plasticfetish
02-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Yeah, you can kind of pull the cape back and it works out.

In all fairness, this is a toy that's meant to be played with, so I don't think they gave it very much thought. (The holes in the feet are too small for a stand BTW. I tried it.) I have a hard time not fiddling around with this thing since it's been sitting here on my desk. I can't wait to see what the 12" version is like.

Sith Lord 0498
02-07-2005, 05:48 AM
The holes in the feet are too small for a stand BTW. I tried it.

Really? I have my Grievous on one of those dark gray late-Saga line stands with the Star Wars logo imprinted on it. It's a snug fit, but I didn't have to force it on there. He's been standing on it just fine for nearly three weeks now (my Wal-Mart popped them out very early).

plasticfetish
02-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Really? I have my Grievous on one of those dark gray late-Saga line stands with the Star Wars logo imprinted on it.Hah! I've already forgotten about those stands, (I use the Protech ones.) I just dug around in my bag full of those grey SW stands, and found one that works great. Very nice Sith Lord 0498 -- thanks!

I never noticed it before, but the pegs on those Star Wars stands can differ in thickness. It's easy enough to find a thinner one, and it works great because Grievous' cape can hang down behind it a bit. Again, very nice!

Kidhuman
02-11-2005, 11:12 AM
I actually got it set up to where Grievous is holding the saber in his left hand and gun in the right hand. DOes anyone else have an issue with his saber blade falling out? Mine will stay in but then fall out after a few hours

JediTricks
02-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I ended up using that peg at the back of the saber hilt as an anchor, wedging it up behind the hand, it doesn't work that well but better than without. It definitely doesn't want to hold in place.

Fluke Skywalker
02-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Wookie Warrior: The best figure of the lot. Looks great, nice articulation and it's huge. Almost the size of a Wampa! - 9.5/10

General Greivous: The cape is a little janky, and the paint application looks less impressive than some of the other versions that are coming out but he's OK. - 8/10

Tion Medon: Nice detail. Decenmt articulation under that garb. Looks like the only one we'll get so grab him! - 8.5/10

R4-G9 - He lloks like R2 only rusty. - 8/10