PDA

View Full Version : What Is DVD Rom?

Jek Porky 2002
01-02-2002, 04:24 PM
This Christmas I got a PS2 which has various features including Compact Disc, DVD Video and DVD Rom.

I was just wondering, what is DVD Rom?

SWAFMAN
01-02-2002, 05:52 PM
I've heard that DVD Rom is the direction all CD-based media is heading due to its ability to store so much more data on a CD disk than conventional CD format. This means that data, gaming and music CDs will transition to the DVD format from the existing CD formats. Hopefully that also means we'll get CD burners that write data in DVD format!!!!

master jedi
01-02-2002, 06:45 PM
To put it in really simple terms: A DVD-Rom is like a CD-Rom but for DVD's. DVD-Roms can play CDs as well as DVDs. PS2s, X-Box, and Nintendos Gamecube games are on DVDs.

derek
01-02-2002, 08:40 PM
have you heard dvd audio cd's? man the sound quality is unreal compaired to regular cd audio.

master jedi
01-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by derek
have you heard dvd audio cd's? man the sound quality is unreal compaired to regular cd audio.

dvd cd? what the h***? how can you call a DVD a CD when they're different?

audio DVD? interesting. Please elaborate(sp?).

JediTricks
01-02-2002, 11:30 PM
I didn't know the PS2 had DVD-ROM capabilities. I won one a week before xmas and didn't even notice that, that'd be handy for DVD movies with extras that have DVD-ROM requirements.

Boba Rhett
01-03-2002, 12:22 PM
How could yo not know about it? :eek: It one of the major selling points of the PS2 and is the reason it's 300 instead of 200. :greedy:

derek
01-03-2002, 04:34 PM
next time you're in best buy, in the dvd section, there is a section of audio cd's in dvd format. they are not video discs, just music. and believe it or not, the quality is better than a regular cd. in dash audio dvd players are now available for your vehicle. but i can't see myself getting one anytime soon. and by the way, dvd means digital versitile disc, not just video.:D

master jedi
01-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by derek
next time you're in best buy, in the dvd section, there is a section of audio cd's in dvd format. they are not video discs, just music. and believe it or not, the quality is better than a regular cd. in dash audio dvd players are now available for your vehicle. but i can't see myself getting one anytime soon. and by the way, dvd means digital versitile disc, not just video.:D

Audio DVDs sound cool but can only play them through a DVD player and not a CD player. Would the Audio DVDs clearly say on the packaging that they are DVDs and not CDs?

derek
01-04-2002, 12:03 AM
yes the packaging is different, the jewel case is bigger, and they cost more, $20 and up.

Obi-Don
01-04-2002, 12:13 AM
DVD audio is better than a CD.My sister-in-law has a few and they sound great. Now that I have a DVD hooked to my home theater system I plan on getting them.I know it will blow my doors off.:cool: :crazed:

JediTricks
01-04-2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
How could yo not know about it? :eek: It one of the major selling points of the PS2 and is the reason it's 300 instead of 200. :greedy: The DVD video is the exciting point for me and my kin. Besides, FREE is FREE. ;)