PDA

View Full Version : Snowed in?

The 'Xir
01-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Alright, who else is snowed in tonight? OK the whole country can put there hands down! :D I'm not actually snowed in, but It's just too dangerous to hit the roads tonight, probably end up stumbling down the street to one of many of my local pubs!

I'd say this is crazy, but we've actually had a very mild winter up here in Syracuse NY, and this is our first real major storm! Usually by now, we'd have about 2-3ft on the ground and constant snow/melt/snow again cycles! There's about a foot that has fallen already with a foot or more on the way! Yeah!!! Thank God I just got done shoveling. :ermm: errrr wait I guess I'll have to shovel tommorrow too...damn! :stupid:

How bad do you guys got it? CA fourm members can keep their comments to themselves! ;) :classic:

Kidhuman
01-22-2005, 08:23 PM
We were supposed ot get a bad ice storm here today but luckily that passed us. Here in Va, we should of had at least a foot or so already. Actually it is snowing hard right now.

Slicker
01-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm on the other side of Virginia from KH and we're getting nothing at all except for alot of rain. It's about 40 so it's not cold enough. In Michigan where I'm from it's like -10 and snowing.

DarthQuack
01-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Chiming in from Albany, NY here. I am currently at work which sucks, been here since 3pm til 12. More than likely I will stay at the hotel next door, the company puts us up in there so I'll just chill at the bar unless I can find a way to get to my friends apartment for her house party. But all in all work sucks when you're stuck here during a blizzard.

Exhaust Port
01-22-2005, 08:36 PM
In northern Ohio the heavy snow associated with the passing system ended early afternoon but we've been getting Lake Effect snow ever since without a break. Even out of the Snow Belt I've seen about 6"+ since then. I'd imagine that we'll hit the 1 foot mark tomorrow.

It looks like the snow plow crews have their work cut out for them now. I'm not snowed in but I'll be limiting my time on the road due to the poor driving conditions. The poor suckers sitting in the Snow Belts in Michigan, Ohio and Western New York are going to be buried, not to mention the folks on the East Coast who are right in the heart of the blizzard. Best of luck to them.

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Nothing really bad in Columbus, Ohio. They tend to keep the inner city roads clear most of the time.

Now back before Christmas there was a bad ice storm that knocked out power. Worst weather experience ever. I was ready to give up living and die, but many days later the power turned on and I found the will to continue with life. I'll take any weather, just don't knock off the electricity. I swear for a minute there I was going to go all "Jack Torrance" on myself.

Ji'dai
01-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Here in west-central Indiana we have strong winds and driven snow, but no real accumulation. The danger is from near-white conditions from wind-driven snow. It was pretty calm this morning but by the time I was out on the road hunting for figures I had to slow down and stop at times because I couldn't see the road. I stayed in the rest of the afternoon and watched a movie. I was outside a little bit ago and when I came in I had snow in my coat pockets! It is still really windy out there.

Rocketboy
01-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Here in Michigan we have probably 6 inches. It looks like more because of all the blowing snow.

On TV they said you should stay in, because going out would be "risking your life."
Oh puh-lease, it's not great out there but it isn't that bad out there.
Every time we get any snow, they treat it like a natural disaster.

I hate snow I really do.

mabudonicus
01-23-2005, 06:00 AM
Well, it snowed for over 24 hours straight yesterday/today up here (I think I'm almost due west of the 'Xir)
I shovelled 3 times yesterday and am just waiting for the sun to rise so I can shovel the foot or two of the frozen white crap that fell since maybe 10 last night.....
I officially entered the "I am sick and tired of this" phase last week sometime....
What makes it better is that we are getting our furnace replaced on thursday, and they need access to the backyard, and our house is on a 100 foot deep lot with a driveway that is nearly that long, which I have to keep clear so the service guy can get to the basement...
See, we don't have a car, so normally I only clear 1-2 parking spots, but now that it's really snowing I have to shovel every damn square inch of pavement on our lot :beard:

darthvyn
01-23-2005, 02:37 PM
well, as the first winter i'm experiencing in north carolina after 26 years in new york, i can say without hesitation that snow makes north carolinians go insane. we had about a quater of an inch last wed. and you would've thought it was the "day after tomorrow" because everyone lost their minds. i saw someone drive around me on the OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD because we were all stopped, waiting for a pickup truck that was SIDEWAYS to get straightened out again.

it's like all traffic laws were null and void as soon as it started sticking. i saw another person (in a TWO WHEEL DRIVE jeep :confused: ) make a left on red. FROM A DEAD STOP!!! it's not like they were skidding or anything. they were stopped, then they went left.

and apparently everyone needs milk and bread when it snows in NC. maybe they think it's the best way to melt the ice?

scruffziller
01-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Here in Iowa, nothing thank God. We had enough of the snow already. We had some freezing drizzle but then the wind picked up real good and dried it all away even though it was only 3 degrees.

2-1B
01-23-2005, 09:58 PM
On Friday and Saturday we were hit fairly hard in Wisconsin, not sure on the exact precip totals because we had such wind and blowing that in some places it is only a few inches with several drifts measuring several feet high.

Well, if it's blowing snow, then the good side to that equation is that it's lighter and much easier to shovel. :D

The 'Xir
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
More than likely I will stay at the hotel next door, the company puts us up in there so I'll just chill at the bar unless I can find a way to get to my friends apartment for her house party.

Heck, If the company's paying for it I would have just started my own house party! Sometimes forced stays at hotels like that can be a nice change from the daily routine! Mini bar anyone? :dead:

I swear for a minute there I was going to go all "Jack Torrance" on myself.

You were gonna spill red rum on your trousers? :confused: Or make like a human popsicle? ;)

Daan- NAAAAY!!! :crazed:

we had about a quater of an inch last wed. and you would've thought it was the "day after tomorrow" because everyone lost their minds.

Yeah, anywhere down there they freak out, but it's expected 'cause they never drive in the stuff like we do, plus they don't have the equipment to handle/clear it! I remember last year when MD/VA/NC got hit with about 3inches, and I called my parents in MD just to see what was up and my dad told me how the news reported a record 2300+ accidents within a 24hr period I think in Morthern VA or NC! That's just ludicrous! Maybe it was 1300+ but still! :rolleyes: I know if Washington DC gets like 1/2 an inch they close everything down Govt buildings and all! :crazed:
To be honest though, sometimes the people around here can get a little nuts when the first snow fall of the year hits, they act like they've never seen the stuff before, it's like hello? :stupid: EH, ya gotta figure all those new 16/17 year olds just got their liscenses and are new to the experience I guess!

and apparently everyone needs milk and bread when it snows in NC. maybe they think it's the best way to melt the ice?

lol lol lol Now that's some funny s.....! That's the biggest marketing ploy around to boost local economies. Hell we get it around here when there's a really big storm! I mean yeah you should be prepared, but the news organizations promote it, as you said like 'The Day After Tommorrow' Puh-leeeze! :rolleyes:

I'm glad I posted this thread to, 'cause I just noticed :stupid: that DQ and Mabudon are in NY! What an Idiot I am! Hey guys some weekend we should try to get together! I travel all the time(with work) even met Dr. Evazan down in DE, so a 2hr trip either way down the NYS Thruway is nothing to me, heck I almost do it every day as it is! PM if ya like! :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I'll agree with Xir and say that the winter so far where I am located in Western New York has been pretty tame. The first major snowfall we saw was on Christmas Eve (very appropriate :) ) and up until two weeks ago, the snow was MIA. Just the past MLK day, it snowed about half-a-foot and since then, we've gotten over a foot. With blowing snow we have seen drifts that are 2-3 feet high. Most of the snow has been associated with storms blowing in, and not the usual lake effect machine that produces the majority of snow in our region.

Tonight an Alberta Clipper will sneak in and hit our area with 3 to 6 inches of snow. The unusual thing is that lately, North of Buffalo is getting hit (where I live) instead of the usual Southerntier (South of Buffalo) which always seems to get more snow.

BTW, I enjoy shoveling. I get a sense of exhilaration and it gives me a chance to get outdoors and blow the stink off. The only thing I hate is shoveling heavy snow, which we haven't had too much of this year. ;)

bobafrett
01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I was out delivering Pizza's when the snow started coming down here in the Chicagoland area. It didn't stop snowing until the next day just as I was starting my pizza job, so the roads were still not cleared completely, and we set no time on how long it would take for the customers to get their pizza.

mabudonicus
01-26-2005, 06:00 AM
Yes, "30 minutes or it's late" , classic guarantee

I awoke to another half-foot of the stuff this morning, just waiting for the sun to come up and reveal the true extent so I can remove it.....

Kidhuman
01-26-2005, 08:53 AM
SUcks to be you Mabs. :beard:

bobafrett
01-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes, "30 minutes or it's late" , classic guarantee

I awoke to another half-foot of the stuff this morning, just waiting for the sun to come up and reveal the true extent so I can remove it.....

I think Domino's changed that many years ago, because it was causing the drivers to disobey many driving laws, and caused many an accident. I remember ordering a pizza from Domino's when they had that gaurantee but the roads were iced over, and we weren't going to go out and drive in it. The pizza got there about an hour after I ordered it, and my friends said, "You don't have to pay for the pizza, he's late" to which I replied "Yes, but the roads are so bad, that we wouldn't even drive on them". And I paid for the pizza, and gave the driver a good tip.

We had our roof shingled, and the roofers had to dig up all the snow from around my house, because they had left the old shingles on the ground before the snow fell. Now the snow is more blackened, and muddy, then white and beautiful. At least it's got warm enough to melt some of it, not much.

mabudonicus
01-27-2005, 05:27 AM
So I finally finished shovelling, and today it is too cold to snow, which would be great if it weren't for the fact that today we are getting a new furnace put in so our heat will be off from 8 am til suppertime :beard: which is gonna be really nice- I'm actually sorta worried as some of my plants will die if it gets too cold... wish me luck :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-27-2005, 06:49 AM
I went through that cold experience. We lost electricity because of the "Ice Storm of 2004" as our power company called it. Everything we have is electric, so when it went out it was all gone. This stuff went out on a Tuesday, came back on the following Saturday night.

To me, I did not expect it to be so bad. I went through two days of just laying in bed, looking at the ceiling and wall. It was like a hibernation. The third day brought a touch of insanity to the mind. We had some tropical fish go into some kind of coma. The beloved turtle just stopped moving, too. See, I thought I was off it by going dormant, but apparently other creatures do the same.

There was this kerosene heater they used in the downstairs part of the house. The thing was, you spend any time around it and you get this bad headache and soon realized you were being poisoned. So I had the choice of heat and death, or cold and crazy.

I think I made the right decision. :crazed:

orangejedi
01-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Ok, so am a little late to this thread, forgive me :)

Anyways, I live out on the Eastern end of Long Island and we got hit pretty goode... 'bout 18" w/o snow drifts and over two feet with! Mine house sits up on a hill away from the main road and it gets windy up here on mine hill... we were gonna take a measurin stick out back to the field to see exactly how deep it got with the wind coming up from the road to the back of the house, but we could not find it... methinks some spots are almost 3 feet deep! Been some time since we have had such a goode snow fall as that... I remember whence a tot we used to get storms like that all the time (just all know, am in me late 30's, tho, don't look or act it ;) )

Its been cold here, loads of dangerous icicles ( I spelled that wrong, aye? LOL) hanging from roof tops and such and barely any melting. Its precarious at best driving 'round corners and such or trying to cross at an intersection deviod of traffic signals and the snow is piled 5ft high on the corners!! And sun glare against the snow, yikes!! LOL

I HATE winter, just so that you all know that... am one that absolutely thrives in summer heat!! So all this snow can just go away, taking the cold with it so I can sweat!!! LOL

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Its been cold here, loads of dangerous icicles ( I spelled that wrong, aye? LOL)

Nope, you got it right. I always remember the spelling of that word by saying
I-see-I-see-Les.

The depressing part for some folks, is not just the amount of snow, it's the fact that it sticks around for weeks and weeks because the temperature doesn't get above freezing too much. I don't mind it because I know that come summertime, we are usually rewarded with perfect temps, more sunny skies and less precipitation than most areas of the country.

Kidhuman
01-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, ice has been falling here for the last 4-5 hours and shows no signs of stopping.

2-1B
01-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Do you have to go out at all, KH ? Stay safe buddy.

Clear skies here for the past week since our big storm last Fri/Sat. Nice.

mabudonicus
01-30-2005, 05:19 AM
Yeah. warming up here a bit,too, we might get above 0 celcius today and that would mean possible melting action as well, which would be sweet since there is nowhere to put the snow anymore, the piles are HUGE and I have a really heavy metal snowshovel to boot
Here's hoping we're over the hump.

Oh, and :beard: to you, orangejedi , hope you enjoy it here, and good luck with the measuring stick

dr_evazan22
01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
I had gone out last Sat morning to run errands and it was bad. Called in to TGI's at 1 to see if I had to go in. The jerk manager said they were planning on staying open until 8p, to come in. Later, I was dressed and ready to walk out the door when he called and said they were closing.

Then, Sun, with the footbal games on I was due at 4. Punched in. Had 1 table between 4 and the end of the game. The same mgr was on from Sat. There was no business because of snow and Eagles but he kept 8 servers, 3 or 4 hosts, a food runner, a busser, and the kitchen staff on because he was expecting a rush after the game. The rush amounted to 2 tables.

To top off the snow fun, I was having computer problems and it wasn't booting up.

Kidhuman
01-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Well, I looked at V-DOT's web site today and they said the roads were moderate with heavy ice and snow patches along the highways needed to get to work, so I called out. Hopefully they will declare a weather day and it wont be held against me.