PDA

View Full Version : Oh, joy... it's the Gunship again.

JEDIpartner
01-25-2005, 09:19 AM
The folks of at GH posted an article about Hasbro re-re-releasing the Gunship. The paint scheme looks a little different, but that's about it. I suppose it makes sense that they would release it since it's featured in the next movie. What I DON'T get, however, is how they will complain about losing their shirts on this and that and how they won't reissue something the fans REALLY want, but they will keep re-releasing a ship that has been on the clearance deck twice!!!

Kidhuman
01-25-2005, 10:41 AM
The folks of at GH posted an article about Hasbro re-re-releasing the Gunship. The paint scheme looks a little different, but that's about it. I suppose it makes sense that they would release it since it's featured in the next movie. What I DON'T get, however, is how they will complain about losing their shirts on this and that and how they won't reissue something the fans REALLY want, but they will keep re-releasing a ship that has been on the clearance deck twice!!!

Clearance, the wal-mart here found one in the stock room as is trying to get 40 bucks for it still.

JEDIpartner
01-25-2005, 11:05 AM
That's insane. I've seen them for as low as $12.99!!!!

Turbowars
01-25-2005, 07:34 PM
The paint app looks weak. I mean what color is that? Greenish yellow? The Clone wars Black and AOTC Red look much better. The only way I might buy it, if it was in a window box, you know with one of the wings removed.

Slicker
01-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately thought from the pictures it looks like it'll be boxed up again. That would look really good though if it did come in a window box with a Battle of Geonosis background inside of it.

Fluke Skywalker
01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
I was hoping they'd at last give it a more distinct paint job. If you were to just glance real quick, it would be hard to tell the difference bewteen this one and the AotC version. :dis:

plasticfetish
01-26-2005, 03:49 AM
The Gunship... third time - yes, goes on clearance - yes, but it always seems to sell out eventually, and I imagine that by now Hasbro's making money off that mold.

I think Turbowars is right about them putting it in a window box. That'd make me buy another. (As is, I'll just wait to score this one on clearance also.)

plo koon 200
01-26-2005, 03:52 PM
That's insane. I've seen them for as low as $12.99!!!!

I found a Millennium Falcon at Target two weeks ago for $11.24!

Tycho
01-28-2005, 12:18 AM
What are you guys whining about?

The Millennium Falcon was sold 3 different times in vintage days:

A New Hope - 1978
Empire - 1980
Return of the Jedi - 1983

It shows 3 different packaging changes:

Death Star surrounded by stormtroopers with the original crew on board
Cloud City with Lando, Lobot, and Bespin Guards meeting Han, Leia, Chewie, C-3PO
Tatooine - with Luke Jedi, Chewie, Lando Skiff, Leia Boussh, and curiously Nien Numb - surrounded by Jabba's men

The Republic Gunship sees 3 uses:

AOTC
CW
ROTS

and you guys moan. Newbies will still buy the ship because they weren't ages 4 & up when the ship was first released. Others never bought it and now think it's cool - whatever.

Yeah, we can get it on clearance in some parts. So buy it on clearance if you can.

Some kid is 3 years old right now, and by the time ROTS hits DVD in Fall of '05, he'll be old enough that his parents may buy him a gunship for his figures at Christmas '05 -almost a year from now.

Now if anyone has statistics on the birth rate, population growth, etc. - it would help Hasbro's plan make sense. But I'm sure it does.

After 1978, 1980, and 1983, the Falcon was re-released in 1995 and then again in 2004 with slight upgrades. So that's 5 times already.

plasticfetish
01-28-2005, 02:25 AM
What are you guys whining about?In this case, there's nothing to really whine about. There would be if, if it wasn't such a great toy, but it is, so...

JEDIpartner
01-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Well... back in the "old days", Kenner never pulled the plug on the toys until JUST before the next film was coming out. I remember ALWAYS seeing X-Wings, TIE Fighters and the Falcon at the stores. The only thing they did was change the packaging. But... with each movie, we also got a number of new playsets and vehicles.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I think my main beef with this one is that they changed it, so I feel compelled to buy it. For the Falcon in the vintage days, they changed nothing, so there was no point in getting another one. I already have two AOTC Gunships and one CW one, so I don't know if I'll get this right away. No doubt it'll go on clearance so I'll get one then.

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Well... back in the "old days", Kenner never pulled the plug on the toys until JUST before the next film was coming out. I remember ALWAYS seeing X-Wings, TIE Fighters and the Falcon at the stores. The only thing they did was change the packaging. But... with each movie, we also got a number of new playsets and vehicles.

Good times, good times.....

JEDIpartner
01-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah... I mean, seriously... When EMPIRE came out, we still had the X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Falcon...

Then we also got the AT-AT, The Imperial Attack Base, Turret & Probot, Dagobah Playset, Star Destroyer Playset, Rebel Transport and the Snow Speeder. That's a lot of good merchandise spread over those three years.

It seems like Habsro blows it's proverbial wad the minute the film comes out and doesn't allow the big things to trickle out over the course of a couple years like in the old days. *sigh*

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Very true JP, I remember getting the Falcon, Cantina, and Tatooine after ESB came out. If Hasbor were to include playsets in their current line up that were not as cheesy as the Arena Playset, it would be tons beter. A playset is just that, a set to play with, and the Arena was a door with a wall. Give me back my son some playsets worth dropping 30-50 bucks on already.

dwall16294
01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Then we also got the AT-AT, The Imperial Attack Base, Turret & Probot, Dagobah Playset, Star Destroyer Playset, Rebel Transport and the Snow Speeder. That's a lot of good merchandise spread over those three years.

It seems like Habsro blows it's proverbial wad the minute the film comes out and doesn't allow the big things to trickle out over the course of a couple years like in the old days. *sigh*

I think a lot of the problem is these days kid's will not focus on one toy line (or movie) for more than a year or so. Back in the day when things seem to move slower, you still had movie branded stuff coming out 2 years after the movie hit the theaters. Now, it pretty much just last until the next Christmas, then the line switches to a generic brand. I really wonder what will happen with no more movies coming out to support the toy lines. I'll give it about 2 more years then things will scale way back.

JEDIpartner
01-28-2005, 02:27 PM
the Arena was a door with a wall.

True... but I didn't mind it as much as you did. I thought it was a much better and more solid attempt at a playset than the previous ones since 1996. I am hoping for a great playset out of Mustafar. I am sure that we will all be disappointed in the missed opportunity that it maybe, but I am holding out hope.

And, yes, even the Death Star was available with an ESB Kenner logo slapped on it!!

netsolo
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I think a lot of the problem is these days kid's will not focus on one toy line (or movie) for more than a year or so. Back in the day when things seem to move slower, you still had movie branded stuff coming out 2 years after the movie hit the theaters.

You didn't have the rabid collector market there is today "back in the day." I sometimes wonder how kids get any of the toys at all lately, let alone focus on them.