PDA

View Full Version : Little Mac Comes Out of Retirement

Lord Malakite
01-25-2005, 07:01 PM
This just in from IGN. The GameCube version of EA Sports Fight Night Round 2 will include Nintendo's classic game Super Punch-Out!!, according to an announcement from Electronic Arts today. Even better, players will be able to unlock Little Mac from the first Punch-Out!! games and take him into the ring against real boxers in Fight Night Round 2. Super Punch-Out!! originally appeared for the Super Nintendo in 1994, updating the boxing action established in the NES and arcade versions of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out.

"The Punch-Out!! series defined boxing video games," says George Harrison at Nintendo. "We have a new contender in the ring that's changing the face of boxing games. What better way to introduce our Nintendo gamers to EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 2 than allowing gamers to experience two boxing franchises that have had the most impact in this sports genre from the beginning of boxing games to now."

The Super Punch-Out!! bonus is the second Nintendo exclusive EA has offered GameCube owners recently, following the announcement of Mario, Peach, and Luigi appearing in NBA Street V3.

Look for Fight Night Round 2 to reach stores March first.

James Boba Fettfield
01-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

I like the Little Mac, but it is not the same experience without the great boxers of the other games. Still nice to see Little Mac has not completely faded into obscurity, and maybe someday they can include him in a Super Smash Bros. game.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-28-2005, 11:08 AM
I have fond memories of Mike Tyson's Punch Out for NES and I am glad to see it weave it's way into modern gaming. I never really understood how a pipsqueak like Little Mac can compete with the likes of King Hippo, Super Macho Man, and Soda Popinski.

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Its all about heart

Lord Malakite
01-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Its all about heart
No, its all about joining the Nintendo Fun Club. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
01-28-2005, 03:27 PM
. . . but without heart you turn pink and cannot punch.

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I never really understood how a pipsqueak like Little Mac can compete with the likes of King Hippo, Super Macho Man, and Soda Popinski.

Its all about heart

No, its all about joining the Nintendo Fun Club. ;)

I was refering to LBC's post about how Little Mac(hey, he is LM like you :beard: ) can hnag with Piston Honda, Don FLemenco and the rest of the crew.

Lord Malakite
01-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I was refering to LBC's post about how Little Mac(hey, he is LM like you :beard: ) can hnag with Piston Honda, Don FLemenco and the rest of the crew.
I know you were commenting on LBC's post. My comment was a joke, one I'm suprise you didn't get. Guess you never listened to Doc's advice about what you need to hang with the big boys.

Slicker
01-28-2005, 08:58 PM
I loved Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I had it on my PDA for a little bit.

And the reason why he can beat King Hippo is because that idiot has a big ***** bandage over his belly button.

Long live Little Mac

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Sorry Slicker, had to nab your photo. :D

Slicker
01-28-2005, 09:40 PM
If you want more I've got em. Actually here's the link where I got all of mine. http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/16.html

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Sweet Site. Those will get used. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Just remember fellow pugulists, if you hold the select key down in between rounds you will get much of your energy recharged at the beginning of the next round ;)

El Chuxter
01-30-2005, 01:35 PM
But if you do that before starting the first round, your strength is halved.

Kidhuman
01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Didnt need full strength anyways. Learn the patterns and its all good.

El Chuxter
01-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Except against Mike Tyson. I remember how everyone in the neighborhood went ape-dookie when one of our own actually knocked down Mike Tyson for the first time!!

Oh, and we all used to joke that his comments would always be, "Robin, come back to me!!"

Kidhuman
01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
All you had to do was dodge Tyson's "lightning punches" and stcik him with a few quick jabs. You could knock him down by end of round one at least once. I did it twice a few times. Tyson was a jpke on that game, especially for a title character.

El Chuxter
01-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Everybody did it eventually, it was just that first time that made the dude a local celebrity. And I don't even remember which of us it was that did it first, just that it wasn't me.

Man, these old Nintendo games were the best! Less focus on sound and graphics, more on gameplay -- and only two buttons (four if a game used the start and select buttons). It takes quite a bit of getting used to some of these newer controllers with 1,348 buttons and triggers.

I'm starting to sound like an old fart again, ain't I?

Kidhuman
01-30-2005, 01:59 PM
No, life was so much more simpler back then, advanced was Sega with A, B and C buttons.

JediTricks
02-01-2005, 01:57 AM
Genesis wasn't advanced, at least the letters were in the right order there! Nintendo with their stupid B, A button alignment, what the HELL was that?!? Since when does B come first???

Genesis ruined it though by making a controller with 3 buttons on top of the first 3 buttons. Sony's Dualshock2 is the only controller I really liked since the Genesis, but they aren't up to snuff because they use symbols for the top buttons and don't even raise the shapes.

Kidhuman
02-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Genesis wasn't advanced, at least the letters were in the right order there! Nintendo with their stupid B, A button alignment, what the HELL was that?!? Since when does B come first???

Since it was a JApanese make, maybe its because they read from right to left????

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Was I the only one who could never beat Tyson? Come to think of it, I can't recall knocking him down either.

Dodging his lightning punches required rhythm and that is something I totally lack. In fact, it would be commonplace that Tyson would knock me out or TKO me in the first round. Rare was the time I made it to the second round.

Just think, if I ever did knock him down, I coulda had a chance. I coulda been a contender . . . . . . . . . . . :(

JediTricks
02-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Since it was a JApanese make, maybe its because they read from right to left????
Yeah, I considered that argument for a second when I wrote the post up, but then the "A" button would still have been the primary action button when clearly it was the secondary button in their game designs. And they KEPT this configuration with next-gen systems (I almost gave props to the SNES controller, but the 4-way buttons in diamond formation were a little too weird for me).

Lord Malakite
02-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Was I the only one who could never beat Tyson? Come to think of it, I can't recall knocking him down either.

Dodging his lightning punches required rhythm and that is something I totally lack. In fact, it would be commonplace that Tyson would knock me out or TKO me in the first round. Rare was the time I made it to the second round.
Technically you aren't the only one. I have never beaten Mike Tyson either, but thats only because I've played Punch-Out, not Mike Tyson's Punch-out. Essentially its the same game, only Mike Tyson was replaced with the fictional character known as Mr. Dream.

Mr. Dream and Mike Tyson's differences are only graphics deep though. Mr. Dream had the same lightning punch moves as Mike Tyson. So if you can beat one, you cab beat the other. Here is a decent comparison (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://people.freenet.de/tomspunchout/punchout-1.gif&imgrefurl=http://people.freenet.de/tomspunchout/versions.html&h=224&w=256&sz=5&tbnid=MxYF88A_dMkJ:&tbnh=93&tbnw=106&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMr.%2BDream%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe% 3Doff%26sa%3DN) of the two.

Speaking of which, if you aren't so much of a Super Punch-Out fan you can also play Punch-Out (with Mr. Dream) on the GCN. It is one of the hidden NES games in Animal Crossing. ;)

JON9000
02-02-2005, 04:57 PM
I completely sucked at Mike Tyson's punch-out. I couldn't even get to Super Macho Man. :(

Those were the good old days, when games were actually hard instead of never-ending.

Fluke Skywalker
02-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Man I use to love MTPO. I also played my fair share of regular PO back in the day as. 'Body blow!'

In MTPO, it was always Bald Bull who gave me fits, but once I learned to
beat him, he was nothing.

For anyone who still has a Super Nintendo (And why wouldn't you!?) 'Super Punch out!' is a great game as well.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Technically you aren't the only one. I have never beaten Mike Tyson either, but thats only because I've played Punch-Out, not Mike Tyson's Punch-out. Essentially its the same game, only Mike Tyson was replaced with the fictional character known as Mr. Dream.

Wow, thanks for sharing the info LM, I never had known that Nintendo came out with a later version of Punch-Out. Seems like a carbon copy game of MTPO.