PDA

View Full Version : Opening Crawl Revealed!

Rocketboy
01-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Starwars.com has revealed the opening crawl of Revenge of the Sith.

War! The Republic is crumbling
under attacks by the ruthless
Sith Lord, Count Dooku.
There are heroes on both sides.
Evil is everywhere.

In a stunning move, the
feindish droid leader, General
Grievous, has swept into the
Republic capital and kidnapped
Chancellor Palpatine, leader of
the Galactic Senate.

As the Seperatist Droid Army
attempts to flee the besieged
capital with their valuable
hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a
desperate mission to rescue the
captive Chancellor...

Click! (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050126/indexp2.html)

Kidhuman
01-26-2005, 09:52 PM
This should actually go in the spoiler column.

Rocketboy
01-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Why? I thought anything officially released by Lucasfilm isn't considered a spoiler anymore.

Beast
01-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Why? I thought anything officially released by Lucasfilm isn't considered a spoiler anymore.
That is correct. If it's official news, it's no longer a spoiler. Some people still consider it to be one. But if you want to be picky, an action figure before seeing the movie would be a spoiler then. It all depends where you draw the line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
01-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Wow! That is the best opening scroll for a Star Wars movie, ever.

The begining for ROTS is going to be amazing.

Rocketboy
01-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Wow! That is the best opening scroll for a Star Wars movie, ever.

The begining for ROTS is going to be amazing.Are you serious?
I think it's terrible.
It just doesn't "sound" like Star Wars, IMO.

Kidhuman
01-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Are you serious?
I think it's terrible.

I gotta agree

As for the spoiler aspect, It gives away part of the plot, in which alot of people dont wanna know about

2-1B
01-27-2005, 02:58 AM
I think it's pretty cool. I'm loving the use of an exclamation point "War!"
It's a new addition to the crawls but it feels like an oldtime news headline.

It sounds pretty Star Wars-y to me, I noticed the connection of using Dooku's name in the 2 and 3 crawls, with Luke's name being repeated in 5 and 6.

As a side note, I just realized that 4 and 6 end with the same words and I think that's terrible.

stillakid
01-27-2005, 04:25 AM
I noticed that Separatists is still spelled with an a, not an e. ;)

SirSteve
01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Lucas has stated that this movie is not like other Star Wars movies due to how "dark" it will be.

El Chuxter
01-27-2005, 10:20 AM
It may not be a technical spoiler anymore, and the detail was ruined for me in a LFL newsletter a few months ago, but I'd consider details about Palpatine's capture to be spoilers still. (Until everyone reads Labyrinth of Evil and sees Clone Wars season 3, one of which I'm sure will give full details as both supposedly go right up to the beginning of ROTS, that is. ;))

You know that Grievous and Palpatine are on that ship laughing their arses off about this ruse.

mabudonicus
01-27-2005, 10:26 AM
I think the coolest part is the line "There are heroes on both sides"...
I wonder how that's gonna play into things.......... may be time to dig up some of my old "prophecy" threads in the spoilers section :beard:

Slicker
01-27-2005, 11:17 AM
It's aight. I'm too impressed with it but when that 20th Century Fox Fanfare fades into the opening music you could have my death warrant scrolling and I'd be enthralled.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2005, 11:31 AM
It's okay. I'm not sold on the use of "War!" as the first word, though. I think people should be able to figure that one out themselves, seeing as how the series is called Star Wars. :D

I like the rest of it, though. I knew we'd be getting action early, but I didn't know it would be the first scene.

Pendo
01-27-2005, 12:26 PM
The first paragraph is AWFUL! I hate it. The other two are fine, but I really dislike the first one. I hate the "War!" it doesn't seem Star Warsy.

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
01-27-2005, 12:32 PM
I noticed that Separatists is still spelled with an a, not an e. ;)

That's 'cos the word "separatist", from the word "separate", IS spelt with an "a"... :rolleyes:

Main Entry: sep·a·rat·ist
Pronunciation: 'se-p(&-)r&-tist, 'se-p&-"rA-
Function: noun
: one that favors separatism (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=separatism) : as a capitalized : one of a group of 16th and 17th century English Protestants preferring to separate (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=separate) from rather than to reform the Church of England b : an advocate of independence or autonomy for a part of a political unit (as a nation) c : an advocate of racial or cultural separation (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=separation)
- separatist adjective
- sep·a·ra·tis·tic /"se-p(&-)r&-'tis-tik/ adjective

;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2005, 03:01 PM
There are some other spelling errors on the one posted here ("feindish") but on the official site they're all right.

Rocketboy
01-27-2005, 03:04 PM
That's my fault.
It's just an image online, so couldn't copy and paste, meaning I had to type it up and wasn't very careful about it.

kool-aid killer
01-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Im not really feeling the "War!" opening. It just doesnt seem Star Wars-ish to me. In my opinion, the crawl is somewhat of a spoiler, since it kind of sets up the opening of the movie. I dont consider the upcoming preview figures to be spoiler material, because we dont know what role the character will play, other than they will show up in the movie at some point. Other than that this only helps add fuel to the fire, this movie cant get here soon enough!

plo koon 200
01-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Are you serious?
I think it's terrible.

I'm dead serious. I love how it says there are heroes on both sides.
And, I like the exclamination point and the fact that the opening sentence is one word. That is very cool. I don't neccessarily like the word that they choose but I think it is cool to see a one sentence word and an exclamination point in a Star Wars scroll.

Slicker
01-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I think someone stated it earlier but it reminds me of those old WWII Savings Bond Drives or the radio broadcasts from the attack on Pearl Harbor.

No that I think of it, it reminds me more of Starship Troopers.

mastermatt24
01-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Theres no way that im going to read the opening... I HAVE to wait. Besides, it goes along with goosebumps from the music. :D

Imperial Monarche
01-27-2005, 09:02 PM
I think it's okay. It's not my favorite of the six, but I think it fits in just fine. I'm not sure what and what not is "Star Warsy" about it and I seem to be hearing that quite a bit on here. Oh well, it's good enough for me and the only thing about the opening crawl is to set up the movie so we know somewhat about what's going on and what has been happening. It's not meant to be some kind of masterpiece of literacy.

2-1B
01-28-2005, 03:30 AM
That's 'cos the word "separatist", from the word "separate", IS spelt with an "a"... :rolleyes:

Main Entry: sep·a·rat·ist
Pronunciation: 'se-p(&-)r&-tist, 'se-p&-"rA-
Function: noun
: one that favors separatism (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=separatism) : as a capitalized : one of a group of 16th and 17th century English Protestants preferring to separate (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=separate) from rather than to reform the Church of England b : an advocate of independence or autonomy for a part of a political unit (as a nation) c : an advocate of racial or cultural separation (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=separation)
- separatist adjective
- sep·a·ra·tis·tic /"se-p(&-)r&-'tis-tik/ adjective

;)

JP, the abuse of the word "separate" has been one of stillakid's (many :D ) pet peeves for a long time on these forums - I assure you he is aware of the correct spelling. That's why he winked ;) I think :Ogre:

JEDIpartner
01-28-2005, 08:12 AM
:sur: Oh-h-h-h-h-h-h-h...

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 12:11 AM
No that I think of it, it reminds me more of Starship Troopers.That's exactly what it reminded me of the second I saw it. It reminds me of "The Phantom Menace" title, it does fit with the old serials feeling from a nostalgia point of view, but is something that really didn't hold up with the passage of time due to the way pop culture continued to reference it for the next 50+ years.

Official news is still a spoiler, I'm moving this thread to the Spoiler section and will work on getting an "official" version of our policy on this issue posted as a stuck thread in the Non-Spoiler section.

The 'Xir
01-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Man it took me a while, I really had to read this a few times, in order to get a sense of it's purpose and decide whether I liked it or not and...I don't!
I agree with Pendo, I hate the first paragraph. I like the "WAR!" thing, but the rest of it is just too... I don't know.... vague, and isn't very good english(<--not that, that is either ;) ). "The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku.", OK one can be under attack or crumbling under the weight of attacks by..." but, "crunmbling under attacks"? It just doesn't come across very well!
"There are heros on both sides, evil is everywhere"? These two statements are fine on there own, but to have them in the same sentence, once again it just doesn't come across very well, or communicate the point very well. Also this is a story about Anakin Skywalker, just like the OT was about Luke, so how come his name doesn't appear in the crawls as it should instead of "a couple of Jedi knights"?

Here I'll show you how if you just change a couple things around how it will sound 10X's better..:
(if you want, bring this page down to the bottom and click on your roller ball(on your mouse), than drag your mouse a tiny bit toward you to slowly scroll up for full effect! ;) :D )

War! Evil is everywhere. The Republic is crumbling under the weight of gaining Separatist attacks, lead by the ruthless Sith Lord Count Dooku. There are however, heroes emerging on both sides.

Though, in a stunning move the fiendish dorid leader, General Greivous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate, and now attempts to flee the besieged city with his valuable hostage.

Meanwhile, our Heroes General Kenobi and his pupil, Jedi Master Anakin Skywalker, lead a desparate mission against the Droid Army to rescue the Chancellor, who is the only hope that can restore order and bring peace to the galaxy...

What'd'ya think of this?

General_Grievous
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
I like all but that first paragraph. I don't quite like the whole "War!" thing. I would change it to something like "After three long years of fighting, the Clone Wars still linger throughout the galaxy."

Turbowars
01-29-2005, 10:42 PM
It's fine with me. Kind of like way Slicker said, as soon as I hear the 20th Century Fox drums hit, I'm all smiles.

TheDarthVader
02-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I like it. No problems here.

B.
TDV