PDA

View Full Version : Pristine Cards - A thing of the past?

Bobby Fett
01-27-2005, 08:21 PM
I looked at 35 ROTS Sneak Preview figures at the local Wally World today. Has anyone else looked closely at these?

1. Tape - The neatness of the tape application on the back and bottom of the cards varied from barely acceptable to abysmal.

2. "Sneak Preview" sticker - All 35 stickers had air bubbles under them.

3. Flash - A few had flash along the curved edge on the side of the bubble where it meets the back of the card. This is easily cured with a hobby knife, but why should we have to do it?

4. J-Hooks - These cards had literally only been on dsiplay for an hour when I looked at them. Three already had the J-hooks bent. The J-hook is a definite weak point in the design.

It appears that finding the new card style in truly excellent condition is going to be a real challenge.

Slicker
01-27-2005, 08:28 PM
I'd noticed the J-Hooks bending and although none of them had clear stress marks or spider webbing of the card they were all bent due to the figures hanging on the pegs. The figures center of gravity must be off to make it do that.

Fluke Skywalker
01-28-2005, 09:35 AM
I was afraid of this since the first time the RotS card images appeared on-line last summer. These sound like they're going to be similar to the 'Half moon' LotR cards from a few years back. It was always tough to find one without some stress wear to the hooks. Those also had tape (A nightmare).

I had such a good experience with the OTC line, most ended up on the pegs in great shape. This is disappointing. It really stinks being a Kepp on carder sometimes!

On a similar note, anyone notice how hard it is to find a CW cardback that's in decent shape. Is it just me or does it seem they're using recycled paper for their cardbacks?

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 09:51 AM
FOr MOC COllectors this is a nightmare. Our best option is e-tailers and case fresh pickings. I really dont care to much about the J-JHooks, because when I hang them by push pins it usually covers them up. I care about bubble shape alot, because thats what people look at.

Slicker
01-28-2005, 04:26 PM
On a similar note, anyone notice how hard it is to find a CW cardback that's in decent shape. Is it just me or does it seem they're using recycled paper for their cardbacks?I noticed this about the CW figures too and the reason you can't find one that's MOC is that they have that sharp square corner on the bottom that no doubt always gets banged up. When I buy them they don't necessarily have to be MOMC so if they're banged up a little bit it's not that big of a deal.

Fluke Skywalker
01-28-2005, 07:44 PM
You're right about that sharp corner Slicker. Always dog-eared.

Well, I found the RotS preview wave today (At Target) and I can confirm what Bobby Fett reported. Most if not all of the 'Preview' stickers have bubbles under them. They do indeed have tape, but the ones I found were all neat (Thankfully). The cards are smaller and lighter than I thought, and all the J-hooks were in good shape. These stickers are going to be a headache. Soon it'll be bubbled up 'Wookie rage' we'll be fussing about.

I don't know if anyone has tried, but sizing these up they looked almost the same size as OTC and Saga. Do you think they'll fit into a Star case? I have a few extra ones here somewhere, so I'm gonna try one and see.

Slicker
01-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I think someone posted it in another thread but these don't fit into a star case. I'll bet that by the time Midnight Madness rolls around though that we'll have a star case that fits these things. SW is no doubt a big part of the protective case business.

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 09:36 PM
They dont fit in star cases at all. Why put tape on tha back of the new line? Is it scotch tape or masking tape?

Slicker
01-28-2005, 09:43 PM
It's clear tape that reminds me more of packing tape. It's about 1" wide and, at least on mine, it's bunched up and folded over and looks like crap on the back of the card. Thankfully it's just on the back of the card.

Kidhuman
01-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Sounds like the same thing they did to the Titanium series.

Fluke Skywalker
01-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the great 'Star case' experiment was a total flop.

JediTricks
01-29-2005, 01:38 AM
I looked at 35 ROTS Sneak Preview figures at the local Wally World today. Has anyone else looked closely at these?I did when I saw them at my store. I'll comment on your comments...

1. Tape - The neatness of the tape application on the back and bottom of the cards varied from barely acceptable to abysmal. ABSOLUTELY! Friggin awful, bunching and slop was everywhere on the tape on at least half of the figs, not just at the bottom corners either. The tape annoyed me so much I eventually ended up cutting the bubble above this instead and I still ripped the curved top portion where it's glued/welded on. I don't even get why they're taped on the sides since the bottom flap is glued doubled-back to the card's front.

2. "Sneak Preview" sticker - All 35 stickers had air bubbles under them. Most definitely, saw this on nearly every figure at my store.

3. Flash - A few had flash along the curved edge on the side of the bubble where it meets the back of the card. This is easily cured with a hobby knife, but why should we have to do it? This I didn't notice, but I didn't notice either way so it might have been there.

4. J-Hooks - These cards had literally only been on dsiplay for an hour when I looked at them. Three already had the J-hooks bent. The J-hook is a definite weak point in the design. TOTALLY! The J-hook support is glued to the back but it's pathetically thin just in case the thin design of the J-hook itself wasn't bad enough.

It appears that finding the new card style in truly excellent condition is going to be a real challenge.Sadly true, I'd say about 2/3rds of the cards I saw yesterday were creased just at first glance, shaped corners and J-hooks were especially in trouble. The bubbles' curved shape seemed to deflect denting, but I did see a couple dented ones, as well as a smashed relief section where the "Star Wars" logo is at the bottom.

Opening these without destroying the package is another challenge, even with the knife I ended up using the RTS method (Rip, Tear, Swear) and messing up every bubble at the top glued curve. Then, since I left the bubbles attached to the card at the top, reinserting the trays was another challenge since 1 of the 2 inserts kept sliding out of position.

And as PF pointed out in another thread, for carded collectors these are a disaster because besides all the problems mentioned here, these cards don't fit in standard soft cases thanks to their stupid curved bubbles going all the way to the edge of the card on either side and the bottom!

The worst part of all this, you can tell this packaging DID cost them more.. and guess who they're passing that onto with a $1 to $2 price increase. Thanks a lot Hasbro, you designed expensive new packaging to entice new buyers and then jacked up the price to drive them back away! :mad:

Kidhuman
01-29-2005, 07:38 AM
can someone post a good pic of the packaging please.

TheDarthVader
01-29-2005, 11:37 AM
I was able to get a look at some FRESH preview figures. I opened the case and looked each one over. Guess what? A lot of the J-hooks were ALREADY bent from the factory! What is going on here? Hasbro can't even ship a mint item anymore? Jeez! This is so stupid. I finally found a set that suited me... well suited me half way at least. :( The new packaging's art is cool but the shape really sucks.

B.
TDV

CooLJoE
01-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Sounds like its the same design as the carded figure that came with StarWars Battlefront video game (for preorders). It was basically a large plastic bubble that went to the edges of the card and had plastic tabs that folded around the back of the card. And the plastic tabs were taped to the back of the card. Needless to say, the tape job was total junk.

I'd rather have the bubble glued onto the card like the past ones. Even if the package wouldn't look as cool, it would atleast be better for MOCs.

DarthQuack
01-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Just picked mine up tonight and thankfully had no bad J-hooks, but I am in agreeance with everyone else about the damn tape. Thankfully it is on the back of the card where no one really looks, but it still looks like a real shotty job. :mad:

LTBasker
01-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I couldn't believe the packaging when I saw them at Wal-Mart. I really didn't like it in the first place but looking closer I noticed that it was very difficult to find a figure with a bottom that didn't look like crap. The tape on the back is ugly on the card in the very random placement of it. It seems like they may have taken ideas from the Mattel JL line, the Mission Vision figures had taped flaps on the sides of the cards just like the E3 figures. It was really hard to find a good-looking one. Of course now we have to worry about the glue on the (most likely) cheap tape drying up after years and coming apart leaving stains and such.

One thing I really hate about the packaging is the slimness of the bubble. A drop right on the bubble would easily be able to harm the figure, and already you can see the accessories bending due to the curve of the package. A very poor and pathetic attempt at a more visually enticing packaging.

I don't see how they can justify charging $1 more for these figures when they could be more easily harmed to shelf-ware or mishandling, not just the packaging but the actual figure as well. R4-G9 seemed to be the only one that was within safe distance away from the bubble. It's stupid to go from completely cheap quality packaging after the wonderful and addictive packaging of the OTC line.

I would gladly pay the $5.88 price if they had OTC like packaging with convient protective and stackable bubbles and the background cards. That's antoher thing that urks me about the E3 packaging- the bubbles aren't even stackable. Granted the packaging is half the size of the bubbles from the Saga-OTC figures, but it means that they will NOT be able to lay on top of each other.

I was trying to stack my 2 of each Sneak Preview figures in the basket and they kept falling off each other. Meaning that while shopping if a good sized wave comes out I will have to find a way to keep the figures stacked in the basket so I can fit other items in there.

Thanks for the raping, Hasbro!

Bobby Fett
02-09-2005, 01:14 PM
A note for the variations collectors among us:

There are at least three varieties of tape applications on the back of the ROTS cards.

1. A vertical piece of tape on each side.

2. Two horizontal pieces of tape on each side.

3. A vertical piece of tape on each side plus two horizontal pieces of tape on each side.

What's next? Duct tape in decorator colors? :frus:

kool-aid killer
02-09-2005, 01:53 PM
I feel for those of you who are big on getting a perfect card, good luck. I havent seen one that didnt have a ding, crease, or poor tape application. Im hoping that after the movie waves Hasbro goes back to the shape of the saga cards, instead of continuing with this one.

Slicker
02-09-2005, 02:27 PM
A note for the variations collectors among us:

There are at least three varieties of tape applications on the back of the ROTS cards.

1. A vertical piece of tape on each side.

2. Two horizontal pieces of tape on each side.

3. A vertical piece of tape on each side plus two horizontal pieces of tape on each side.

What's next? Duct tape in decorator colors? :frus:I don't know if these could be considered variations or if it's just the preference of the persone applying the tape. I don't know if Hasbro would have a set standard for how the tape is to be applied so the application style and directions could just be up to the packager.

dindae
02-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Since the preview figures had to wait for a release date perhaps they were subject to more damage since they were sitting in loading docks and warehouses. Has anyone looked and newer shipments to see in they are better?

Ric Olie
02-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I think the new packaging looks great...
...from a distance. When examined closely it's not very good. They just taped the whole back of the card to hold it all together. The shape of the card also makes it hard to line them up properly on a wall with your other figures.

Still I like that they're different from my other cards and that they stand out.

Bobby Fett
02-09-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't know if these could be considered variations or if it's just the preference of the persone applying the tape. I don't know if Hasbro would have a set standard for how the tape is to be applied so the application style and directions could just be up to the packager.

I considered them to be variations based on the differences in the tape application on the OC Stormtroopers. The three tape applications on the OC Stormtroopers are generally classed as variations rather than errors.

However, I can't argue with your point.

It's just up to the individual collector whether the differences are worthy of consideration.

DarthQuack
02-09-2005, 06:15 PM
It's tape.....if you are a loose collector then you just look past it, if you are a carded collector you do your best not to notice the horrible packaging.

Joshkj
02-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Now not to sound like a fan boy of a store... but i ordered my prieview figs from OMGCNFO, and they were perfect, nothing wrong at all, and they smelled good too

BTW: lord tater, yes master rise is the best sig ever

Kidhuman
02-09-2005, 09:11 PM
The tape jobs on mine are decent. The packaging wasnt damaged at all. One or two had creases in the J Bends but it took me about 3 minutes to pick out the 7 I did and that including digging through the pegs to find Tion and R4.