PDA

View Full Version : POTJ Variations

jdmarlow
01-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Hello everyone!

I am an avid variation collector and I wish to know.....has anybody had a hard time keeping up with the variations on the POTJ market? I know that EP1 and POTF2 were different in terms of the types of variations that were released and found. There are more version differences with .0100 and .0200, etc. rather than the old Green Card type variations with Warning Stickers, Holos, Collection #'s, etc.

I was wondering if anybody had been able to find these ones:

POTJ Leia General .0400 (open)
POTJ Darth Vader Degobah .0400
POTJ Gungan Warrior .0300
POTJ K-3PO .0300
POTJ Obi-Wan Cold .0400 (Slump)

They have just seemed elude me completely. Thanks!

-JD

sith_killer_99
01-02-2002, 11:53 PM
I'm not a big variation collector. I pick-up a few foreign carded figs every now and then, but only of my favorite figs. Stormtroopers, Vader, TIE Pilots, etc.

I do have a Gungan warrior on a .0300 card.

One of my favorite error/variations is a FF Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise with white (unpainted) mouth piece.

I also lucked out and got 2 open claw IG-88's.

jdmarlow
01-08-2002, 11:02 PM
sith_killer_99,

nice to see there is another one similar to me. The only other I know is Todd Carlton, maybe you know of him. However he is beyond the realm of variation collector. One of the all time greats....

Anyhow...

Is that Gungan Warrior .0300 for sale or trade? It would be great to get a hold of one. It's been a toughie. Did you hear about the new .0400 card's released on Sebulba and Fode & Beed. Are you the type that buy's the issue changes on the same figures??

-JD

r2dee2
01-08-2002, 11:24 PM
jdmarlow...you are indeed correct that Todd is a great collector and he's soon to be published too! Anyone interested can pre-order his book from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1574322893/qid%3D1009691039/ref%3Dsr%5F11/%5F0%5F1/002-0015495-8222437)

Turbowars
01-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Hey there JD, I happened to pick up a POTJ General Leia.04 at Toys R Us, so they are out there. I happened to be one of those variation/error collectors that buys releases of the same figure. Call me cazy, but I love it! I completed my LPC collection of 9 and picked up a set of five one logo green cards from europe. The cool thing about them is they look like they are US cards,( with no tri- Logo Crap), but they have different photos unlike the LPC's or US. The five consits of Bib Fortuna, 4-LOM, Gamorrean Guard, Momaw Nadon and (Jawa the rarest). I'm starting the collect THX cards. Has any one seen The Ben, Vader and Han on GREEN THX cards, I think that they are the only one produced on GREEN cards. Good luck hunting!!!

moff-jerjerrod
01-15-2002, 01:49 AM
I have a POTJ Sandtrooper with an unpainted shoulder pad, anyone else have one? or is this just an error ?

187-Maul
01-15-2002, 09:08 AM
I live in europe and I even have a couple of camorrean guards and a bib fortuna on a european card but I like the US-cards much more:( and I think I have a stormtrooper from 95' on a green card with holo sticker - but I unpacked all so it's no use to u anyway but I still have the cards if you want some scans

187-Maul
01-15-2002, 09:29 AM
well sorry I forgot to tell but almost every figure I have of the POTF2 line came on a european card (and I have a couple of french and german E1 and POTJ figs)
I even had han solo, chewie, leia, and yoda on red cards
well I still have all the cards but not with the figure and bubble on it:)
oh yeah the stormtrooper is no holo - just a plain picture but I noticed that he is one of the less figs i have who is on a US-card

swcollector
01-15-2002, 10:13 AM
I am a huge 3 3/4 figure variation / error collector also.

I collect

1. all card variations / changes ie .00, .01, 0100, 0300, etc.
2. figure variations.
3. card errors
4. figure errors
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most recent finds for this week and last week:

variations:

0400 general leia.
0400 sebulba
0400 darth vader degabah.
0400 fode and beed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most recent finds for this week and last week:

errors:

darth vader emperors wrath: short saber. saber is about 1/4 of a inch short, seems to be easy to find. I have come across 5 of them so far in 2 weeks.

darth vader emperors wrath: saber is missing all of the black paint, it is just a all gray handle.

potj luke xwing: Missing white deco on left arm. , seems to be easy to find. ( as of now have extra)

potj luke xwing: Missing silver deco on left arm.

potj Shimi: data pad( I guess thats what it is) keys are missing all black paint.

potj sandtrooper: has two left upper arms ( just like the ep1 darth maul).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your question jdmarlow out of the figures you asked about here is what I know to exist and I actually have.

POTJ Leia General .0400 (open)
POTJ Darth Vader Degobah .0400
POTJ K-3PO .0300
POTJ Obi-Wan Cold .0400 (Slump) (as of now have extras)

I have not seen a POTJ Gungan Warrior .0300 at :

1. the stores
2. ebay
3. toy shows
4. fellow collectors
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a huge list of all the figures I have from 95 - 2002 that includes all 3 3/4 figures (regular / variations / errors) that I own. I could post it if your interested. Actually I might start a website since I have a server at home. I am in the process of taking pictures of all the stuff I have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anyone do any trading?

DahrJin
01-15-2002, 10:56 AM
I have a legitimate question.....

Why do some collectors feel the need to have multiple figures that just have card varriations, different NUMBERS on the cardbacks?

I can understand figure varriations and errors on both cards and figures but why card varriations? The figures are the same so what's the draw to having the different cards?

I, myself like to hunt for figure varriations and errors but the cards never intrested me.

My fav. finds are Qui-Gon farmer with micro saber and the ever popular R2-Q5 spelling error.

Not trying to start anything, just wondering..........

BTW.... ever notice that on EW Vader the blue and red buttons on his chest plate are painted wrong. Red above Blue insted of the other way around. Look at any picture and it's Blue over red.(Picture on force file as well) The only other Vader I've noticed with the SWITCHED colors, is the 12" Sith Lords 2 pack version.

Lord Malakite
01-15-2002, 11:12 AM
I'm with you DahrJin. I can understand figure variations and extreme card variations (Orange vs. Green vs. Freeze Frame, etc.), but variations of just the little number on the back of the card is a little too extreme to really hassle with in my opinion.

DahrJin
01-15-2002, 11:16 AM
Not to mention the COST...... I can barely keep up with just getting what I like compared to everything.:sur:

swcollector
01-15-2002, 12:54 PM
I guess collecting card number variants just depends on the person and what you want to collect.

Turbowars
01-15-2002, 08:44 PM
To answer why I and some collectors collect # variation is simple. The # on the back of the card changes for a reason. POTJ card backs are universal (any figure can be packed on it), but the character photos on the back changes, so the the # changes. Thats why we have .00, .01, .03, .04. On the POTF2 cards it get a little complicated. There was lots of screw ups on collection # on the front of card, Spelling mistakes in Bio's, Saber changes and so on. For some reason I feel the need to have them all!! I really like the figures carded. I opened a few awile back and the honest truth is they suck! Playability is horriable. The 80's GI-Joe's Rock compared to these figures.

jdmarlow
02-02-2002, 03:30 PM
In response to the question above: why do variation collectors collect all the .01, .02, .03, etc.

The answer to this question is simple: There are certain collectors that deem these figures and their variations (as feeble as they may seem) collectible. It makes collecting very exciting to know that there is an extremely rare VARIATION out there to get. It makes for a rich collecting experience. Keeping up with all of them is sometimes a chore, but I personally enjoy it. To some it's ludicrious. To me, and many others to collect variations, it makes collecting more challenging and engaging. Simply getting the figures are there is too easy. Getting all the variations....now that is a challenge. It's something to be proud of also once you have that variation(s) you have sought out for many weeks/months/years.

The only trouble with variation collecting now adays is that most collectors HAVE become fedup with it. It is rare to find a collector so dedicated that he/she has stuck with the variations through thick and thin for so many years.

-JD

LTBasker
02-02-2002, 04:21 PM
I like collecting alot of variants, especially noticeable ones, I think it adds a little more "wee!" to my collection. :)

Lord Tenebrous
02-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Could somebody explain that whole Darth Maul (Final Duel) variation/error thing? I have the 'black face' error, but I'm still confused about the 'clear saber' one. Pink vs. red, what's the dealio?

Turbowars
02-03-2002, 11:31 AM
I think it's just the fact that the Red saber has faded to a clearish pink color from the sun and some indoor lighting.