PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Stormtrooper

LusiferSam
01-31-2005, 01:03 AM
The Emperor's white armored shock troopers are this week's topic. That's right we're talking the Stormtrooper (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6697&sort=7&cat=796&page=21) . These poor guys who can't shoot worth a darn and are stuck in even more worthless body armor, but they look good in formation. A favorite of focus collectors, the Imperial Stormtrooper came out in 1978 and can be found on nearly every major back (I believe the 21 back is the one that eludes most people). There were no major changes to the card photo, nor are the any major variations.

I'm a little brain dead right now. I'll be back later to post more. But for now have fun. Two quick questions: How many of these guys did you have in the day? And how many now?

vader121
01-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Oh this is my all-time favorite figure. Just loved these guys and couldn't and still can't get enough of them. They were great amassed all together. Only issue I had was that you couldn't fold the arms at all to have them stand in formation like in the movies. They could have done the bent arm like Han had to achieve this effect but alas.

I had 14 total at a time when I was a kid. I have over 150 now. Like I said, can't get enough of them.

X13VADER
01-31-2005, 09:24 AM
At This Point I Have:
52 Vintage
56 95' Version
48 4-pak
5 From Tru Imperial Set
10 Crowd Control
5 Otc
2 Comtech
Then If You Want To Include:
10 Royal Guard Vintage
10 Royal Guard 95'
10 Biker Scouts Vintage
10 Biker Scouts Otc
50 Snow Troopers Of Various Kinds
50 Sand Troopers Of Various Kinds
And Always Looking For More

stormie
01-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Yup, my all-time favorite, too. I think I only had 6 or 7 of these back when I was a kid, and at one time had probably about 10 or so POTF2 and 20 Commtech. Now I just have my vintage loose, my carded collection (http://netwiz.net/~rwirth/cardindexa.html) of 25 vintage and 15 newer, and probably one loose each of the POTF2 and Commtech versions.

There are a few minor variations of the vintage figure...mostly because of different manufacturing locations, and one fairly big card variation on the ROTJ Trilogo where the second trooper has been air-brushed out, as seen here:
http://www.netwiz.net/~rwirth/temp/compare.jpg

Fluke Skywalker
02-03-2005, 09:24 PM
One of the best ever. Back in the day I had 4 regular Stormies, 2 Snow STs,
and 2 Biker scouts. (I think I had 2 At-At drivers and 1 Tie fighter pilot).

Right now I think I have around 20-25 various, but I haven't tallied them up.
I am trying to army build right now though)

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 09:27 PM
This figure was awesome. It was everywhere. Really one of the only bad guys to fight wit hthe rebels.

I had:

3 Stormies
2 snow
3 biker scouts

For those days it was an army

LusiferSam
02-03-2005, 10:30 PM
I've finally had time this week to get back to this. I don't think the Stormtrooper is one of Kenner's better figures. Sure they look somewhat close to what was in the film, but some how not quite right. I think its the head. Its get to blocky and can't turn. They look all right when standing at attention, but thing else well not so good.

The reason I asked my little question goes back to the army builder thread. And as this was the first army builder figure we've talked about I thought I ask how many people had.

I have one and only one, my childhood original. Hardest working man in the Empire. If you look closely at the left arm you can see when my dog (darn dog) chewed it. And another funny thing about that photo is my Stormtrooper is much more yellowed in people. It looks awful. But in the photo it's not too bad.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-09-2005, 04:33 PM
This figure had the most fragile digits of any SW fig; must've been a few hired goons in the SW universe breaking thumbs. Even though the head was stuck, I liked this one. The "OII" on the back was really "Oil" to my friends, proving that they were in fact, robots, not humans. I had three, one of which I colored all black (turning purple as the ink faded over time). While Vader or Luke might have been the symbols of Star Wars, I think that Stormtrooper is the true must-have figure.