PDA

View Full Version : Do you know any handicapped people who use the aid of a companion dog ?

2-1B
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I bought a box of Milkbones today and noticed that on the back of the carton is a photo of a young boy in a wheelchair with his aid dog at his side.

I think it is awesome how well these dogs can be trained and how useful they seem to be.

Of course many blind people utilize guide dogs but other people do, too. When I was in college there was a lady in a wheelchair, middle-aged perhaps, who attended classes with her dog. I never talked to her because I had no classes with her, just I saw her around campus often and that dog was always with her and seemed to fit in perfectly with large crowds of people.

Slicker
02-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I see these dogs quite often. It's amazing how well trained they are and that they don't bark at anything. I've also seen that they're training miniature horses to be guide dog....er horses.

Lord Malakite
02-01-2005, 09:53 PM
When I was in college there was a lady in a wheelchair, middle-aged perhaps, who attended classes with her dog. I never talked to her because I had no classes with her, just I saw her around campus often and that dog was always with her and seemed to fit in perfectly with large crowds of people.
Same boat as you Caesar. There is blind asian girl with dog I sometimes see in the english building on the college campus coming or going to class. Don't know her personally though.

Kidhuman
02-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I saw alot of people that used dogs for aid in NYC. Havent seen it much after moving to Va. I always admired people who train these dogs and the dogs themselves. I believe I was talking to Jargo once o MSN and think he mentioned he did something along these lines with the dogs, I could be wrong though.

So Cae...buying milkbones...hungry?

Bobby Fett
02-01-2005, 10:25 PM
We have a border collie that is being trained as a medical alert dog for my wife. Whisper (the dog) is pretty amazing.

stillakid
02-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I bought a box of Milkbones today ...

So....you have a dog...or were you just hungry? :sur:

LTBasker
02-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Friend of mine is legally blind (though she can still see enough to be able to be on AIM and such) and got a companion dog named "Dolly." From the stories she's told Dolly is pretty sweet and has a very interesting personality and habits, ie: being able to put on sweaters by crawling into'em.

Rocketboy
02-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Things like this is the reason why dogs will always be better than cats.