PDA

View Full Version : The AOTC soundtrack: Does anyone else feel cheated?

General_Grievous
02-01-2005, 08:46 PM
I mean, you have to admit that John Williams kinda slacked off with the score for AOTC. Why was half the score just recycled music from TPM? There wasn't enough new music written for AOTC. The two main ones that come to mind are the love theme and that little "Count Dooku" theme that played through the entire movie (heard distinctively in the Geonosian Meeting Room). And also, the very beginning of the film (after the title crawl) used the exact same music from the beginning of TPM! I just hope that John Williams doesn't slack off like this while scoring ROTS.

What are your opinions, guys?

JediTricks
02-02-2005, 05:06 AM
Absolutely agree. I didn't like much of the original music in either prequel, but Ep 2 was largely a recycle-fest without real cause, taking cues without really applying themes. It seemed lazy and rushed to me, and the most interesting tracks on the soundtrack CD were chopped into messy little bits in the film anyway.

JON9000
02-02-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree for the most part. Themes I thought had been reserved for certain characters were transposed onto other characters/situations. while they worked with the scenes, particularly when Obi-wan observes the clone army and when Anakin is zipping along on the swoop, I thought those scenes deserved new music.

I thought the best music was the completely new stuff for the chase scene and the use of the old Yoda music on steroids for the scene at the end.

I have to say on the whole that the OT music whups the new stuff. Not so much in the overblown galactic space battle / evil march selections, but in the smaller areas. Some of my faves are the Cantina music and the Jawa theme which I thought was pretty incredible.

As far a ROTS goes, I think you are going to be fed up with the Emperor's theme, the Imperial March, and the Anakin Padme love music.

Rocketboy
02-02-2005, 11:08 AM
That is my main problem with the prequels. The music just isn't the same. I think John Williams lost hs Star Wars touch.
The OT soundtrack was so powerful and amazing and enhanced every scene. The PT music seems to be taking a backseat for the most part.
There are a few exceptions though IMO, like Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars. Those work very well for me.

El Chuxter
02-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Mr Williams was under tremendous pressure. He had a new SW, a new Spielberg film, and a new Harry Potter in the works at once, and I didn't feel cheated by his work. (Though I am glad in a way that he passed the torch for HP4, so more attention can go into some killer renditions of the Imperial March.) The guy's a music god, but even he has his limits.

I do, however, feel extremely cheated by Sony Classical for the CD release. Some of the best music (especially Yoda's fight theme and the Dex's Diner music) should've been included, and could easily have fit.

Quantity notwithstanding, I think each SW score is better than the one before it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Mr Williams was under tremendous pressure. He had a new SW, a new Spielberg film, and a new Harry Potter in the works at once, and I didn't feel cheated by his work. (Though I am glad in a way that he passed the torch for HP4, so more attention can go into some killer renditions of the Imperial March.) The guy's a music god, but even he has his limits.

I do, however, feel extremely cheated by Sony Classical for the CD release. Some of the best music (especially Yoda's fight theme and the Dex's Diner music) should've been included, and could easily have fit.

Quantity notwithstanding, I think each SW score is better than the one before it.
Who's doing the HP score this time? Well hopefully they can still use some of the old music (especially Hedwig's Theme, of course). Didn't they do that for Jurassic Park III?

If it means doing extra time for ROTS, I'm all for it, but I think the music for GOF needs to be more powerful than that of the other HP films.

After hearing the awesome two-disc CDs for the OT, I definitely think that AOTC and ROTS should've gotten the same treatment. Like Chux said, the Yoda's duel theme needed to be released, that was some of the best stuff in the film.

I had no problems with the score itself, though. For those who say it uses scores for the wrong character, well, in ESB the final scene is playing "Han Solo and the Princess," though Han's nowhere to be seen.

JON9000
02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Yeah, that's true, now that you mention it.

El Chuxter
02-02-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't recall who's doing HP4, but I'll check around. I've got mixed feelings on it, but hopefully if someone good works on it, then it might be close to the level of quality that Williams set up with the first three.

As for Jurassic Park III, are you sure that movie was made? I seem to remember hearing about it, but not seeing it. Of course, there's an odd 2-hour gap in my memory from a few years ago that I can't explain. I guess I probably just blocked out some painful memory. :D

And switching gears, I could live with a 1-disc soundtrack for ROTS (which is what we're getting; it's already confirmed), and a "More Music from Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith" CD a year or two later. (Hint, hint, Sony!!)

plo koon 200
02-04-2005, 12:48 AM
AOTC soundtrack sucked. Anyone read the POST NOTES from Pabs about the scoring. It sounds like ROTS will have a killer soundtrack.

Geese, I can't remember a JP III either. I seem to have a 2 hour block missing in my mind from a painful, terrible memory.

CaptainSolo1138
02-04-2005, 11:24 AM
I for the most part enjoyed the AOTC soundtrack. It's good background music for doing homework. Though it doesn't compare to the OT, I think "Chase..", "Across the Stars", and " Love Pledge/The Arena" are excellent tracks and for the most part carry the CD.

Imperial Monarche
02-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Nothing will compare to the original scores, but that's understandable because it set the precendent for SW music. I enjoyed TPM music, but it wasn't as good as the OT. AOTC was good also, but i agree it was not so good to recycle music. However, I do think that it deserves an ultimate addition like TPM. (Why don't we start a petition and send it to Sony to produce a two disc set for AOTC and also ROTS) I also agree that the themes for the OT were better than the PT, with the exception of Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars. But, I do think that Duel of the Fates is a not as good as most make it out to be, I think it's a little overblown for SW.

Devo
02-25-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm amazed he got the soundtracks done at all what with the 2 year long post-production tinkering Lucas does on these films. Surely it must affect the music and the placement of the music in the films.