PDA

View Full Version : Remote and DVD problems....

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 04:49 PM
and its to my DVD player to, grrrrr all I can do is hit play. Cant get any options on it or even pause it. I cant program my other remote to work it either because it doesnt have codes for my DVD player model. God it irked me and Sweetrain....

James Boba Fettfield
02-03-2005, 06:53 PM
I have a Homer Simpson thing that holds my remotes. He also talks.

I can understand how you feel, though. Losing the remote and not knowing where it is . . . terrible feeling. Then I spend all my energy trying to find it because I refuse to use my player without it. That thing controls the surround sound volume, too.

I would be lost without Homer.

JediTricks
02-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Try cycling through all the codes, or checking the Universal Remote's website for new codes. I've had a few items where cycling through the codes eventually found one that worked perfectly. Still, if I were in your shoes, I'd tear my living room apart looking for it because I can't let things like that go (remember the Saga Luke Jabba's Palace figure I reviewed where I accidentally vacuumed up the gun, then went down to the garbage room, fished out the garbage bag, took it upstairs and sifted through it until I found the accessory? :D).

Bacta Beast
02-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Do you have Comcast in your area? Our new remotes work great on DVD players. Even the menu features.

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 07:12 PM
JT, its a Dish Network remote, and I do tech support for them. We dont have the codes for Apex DVD players. I am going to have to buy an RCA Universal tomorrow.

Slicker
02-03-2005, 07:14 PM
They should put a page button on remotes. They have them on cordless phones why not remote controls?

Things were so much easier in the 70's when they had a cord running from the remote straight to the TV.

2-1B
02-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Hey, who rated this thread a 5 ? :D

Tough break 'Kid, can you get a new remote with your smart card info or something ? I don't know how those work . . .

Good luck.

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Its the one specifically for the DVD player so no, I need a universal one. I can press play and power on, but cant move the cursor to access features

plasticfetish
02-04-2005, 03:43 AM
You know, when something goes missing in our house, I usually just ask the kid, "Hey, do you know where the ____ is?" Most of the time, when he was smaller, he'd just hidden it some place. (I was late for work many times because he'd hide my keys in cute places... like the toilet.)

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 07:39 AM
The rmeote was in our bedroom, where the DVD player is. We think our puppy knocked it off the nightstand and into the garbage. :( :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
02-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Congratulations, KH. You should Velcro that sucker to your forehead so you never lose it again. Is it the "cheap" Apex player ($50-ish) from Wal-Mart or Target? Do you have any problems with it? Me and a friend have the same one and it occasionally makes a whirring noise about an hour into the movie and on rare occasions it will freeze up for no reason. Just wondering if we happened to get POS's or if it's a widespread problem with their players.

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Yes it is the same one. What is your problems with it?

CaptainSolo1138
02-04-2005, 08:05 AM
See the edit above :D

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Yes, it does. And it only strarted a few weeks ago. I have been cleaning it constatntly thinking it was dirty. t is a POS.

I called there service dept and they want 25 bucks for the remote. Ipaid 35 for the DVD player. I hung up on them. I'd rather buy a new player from them and get the damn remote that way.

CaptainSolo1138
02-04-2005, 08:24 AM
So the remote is worth more than the player?! That's hilarious. It doesn't surprise me though. Just another shining example of getting what you pay for. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Well, I went and bought a Universal remote. Got a bunch of garbage on ,y back patio that I will sift through to see if I can find the remote before opening this one. Think I will be buying a new DVD player shortly. I might throw one of the DVD recorders on Lay-a-way and kill 2 birds in one shot.

CaptainSolo1138
02-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Think I will be buying a new DVD player shortly. I might throw one of the DVD recorders on Lay-a-way and kill 2 birds in one shot.
Only problem with that is that you'll probably kick yourself in a year when they drop even lower in price. :D

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I saw one at WM for 149. NOt too bad a price

kool-aid killer
02-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Ive got a name brand DVD player and my remote started to act up recently. Ive got a ton of DVDs i want to watch but without the remote operating it i cant navigate through the menu. Switched batteries and everything. Im thinking of getting a cheapie real soon, but am wary that i would have problems with that a short time later.

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I changed the name of the thread to reflect the current changes in the discussion.

KAK, I will not by another cheapy DVD player. I am gonna get a good brand this time around. It was frustrating to not have the menu options.

Edit: Didnt find the remote in the trash, had to use the RCA Universal remote, which was programmed directly to my TV as well. I can view menu options again....YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

mabudonicus
02-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Good to know, now you can activate the swahili commentary tracks again!!!!

And I gotta say, I HATE when I go so far as to take apart a whole bunch of garbage bags and come up empty handed, at least if ya find what yer looking for you can sorta forget the whole experience, but having to retire in defeatr is lousy- at least the garbage was likely close to frozen :beard: