PDA

View Full Version : Toy Fair Questions for Hasbro

JediTricks
02-03-2005, 08:34 PM
SSG will be heading to New York Toy Fair in a few weeks, and will have the chance to ask Hasbro some of your questions. While it may not be possible to get all your questions asked, we will do our best to represent you, the SSG readers. So please post your questions here in this thread.

Also, if you have any questions of any other SW licensees you want Steve to ask, feel free to post them in here, just let me know which licensee you are addressing the question to so I can put it in the right list.

Thanks!

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 08:41 PM
What are the plans for release after the initial 56 figures?

Will they make an AT-TE since we are getting the gunner figure?

Any playsets getting released for either trilogy in the near future?

WIll they go back to the OTC style cardbacks again?

sith_killer_99
02-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I gotta go with KH on this one:

What are the plans for release after the initial 56 figures?

WIll they go back to the OTC style cardbacks again?

These seem to be the 2 burning questions!!!

What next? and Can we look forward to more of those cool OTC/POTC style cards?

I have a few others but, my mom always said, if you can't say something nice...

Action features again?!?!? :crazed:

General_Grievous
02-03-2005, 10:05 PM
1. Will they have any plans for new figures from TPM, AOTC and the OT later on in 2005?

2. Will the Clone Wars Animated line ever continue? We still need characters like Clone Armor Obi-Wan, Snow Bunny Padme, C-3P0, R2D2, Battle Droid, Super Battle Droid, Kit Fisto, and any new Season 3 Characters.

3. Will we ever get Qui-Gon and Lando Unleashed figures?

4. Are there any plans to make a Cloud Car in the near future? We've got the pilot.

plo koon 200
02-04-2005, 12:43 AM
How long will C1 and C2 last. Will play features end soon? Can we expect more EP III background characters? Where are Cliegg Lars and the rest of them from EP II and EP III.

And, like everyone else said, what comes after the 56 ROTS figures? Will we get a Saga line with the OTC cardbadk?

Droid
02-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Are they going to make Yarna Gargan or not?

Is the rumor about the actresses who played the Tonnika Sisters wanting a high licensing fee, which prevents figures, true?

dindae
02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Ask them if they plan on doing anything similar to the Clone army pack with EE in the future? If so what?

Any chance of doing a large scale ship/playset through online store where store space is not an issue? ie Jabba's sail barge, Blocakade runner, Star destroyer etc.

Are we going to get a rounded peice for our cantina?

Are we going to see Animated Padme or Obi-wan in clone armor?

After the movies are over will we see more EU figures?

Several threads have been devoted to additional VOTC figure lists or prequel mock ups. Is this likely?

Will prices go down after the movie?

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Oh yeah, one more I thought of...

When will we see a Clone Wars Obi in CLone armor with speeder bike? Huh? Huh? :beard:

MandalorianKid
02-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Hummmm.... 2 words. Cloud Car. please don't let the AT-TE gunner end up like the cloud pilot. aside from that all i wanna know is about continueing VOTC Style and a few others that have been asked.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2005, 05:33 PM
This was a list I put together, as I planned to ask them these at CIII, but if I can get the answers sooner, all the better. Whichever ones you don't get to I'll do myself.

*Will the card go back to OTC-style after the ROTS line?

*Will there ever be more figures on vintage cards - prequels?

*Will we get more playsets after the ROTS line - vintage re-releases?

*What other exclusives will there be?

*Any more Clone Wars stuff on the way?

*Repack figures - CW Clone Trooper, Ephant Mon, last waves of POTF2, Episode I?

*Maybe in Toys R Us 4-packs?

*Repack vehicles - Hoth Peril, TIE Interceptor, B-wing, Skiff?

*Will any more 3- or 4-packs of army builders come out?

*Will the SA Clone 4-packs be more easily available?

*Who won the designer for a day contest, what did they design?

*When will there be more fan’s choice polls?

*Will we see the rest of the losers form the polls? (Bom Vimdin, Twi’lek Masseuse, Ben Quadinaros)

*Will Jabba get a real dais?

*What about correct pilots?

*Will we ever get a huge, correct scale Falcon, maybe in playset sections?

*Is there really going to be a correct-winged TIE Fighter in 2006? If not then, when?

*Will the deluxe/Ultra line continue past the initial ROTS figures?

*Will the action features go away soon?

*When will there be new non-ROTS figures?

*Is there a chance for:
*Kitster and Wald
*Other pod racers
*A better Peasant Anakin
*A better torn-shirt Padmé
*Realistic-Style Obi-Wan in Clone Armor
*ROTS Jedi Council figures (Obi-Wan, holo Ki-Adi, etc.)
*Tantive IV playset/vehicle
*Stormtrooper Luke and Han
*A better R5-D4
*More Cantina aliens
*Obi-Wan with articulated knees and training remote
*A better Red Leader
*Red Leader’s Droid
*More pilot-specific X-wings
*More Jabba’s palace aliens
*Endor/Death Star II Luke
*More Ewoks
*DVD No-Eyebrows Vader
*DVD Ghost Anakin
*Dying/dead figures (Qui-Gon, Shmi, Lars family)
*Ewok/Droid Adventures cartoons figures
*Holiday Special figures

Fluke Skywalker
02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
These may just be echos of other's posts... Sorry in advance.

1. Do they plan to increas articulation in all figures, ala the SA Clone?

2. Any chance of revisiting the VOTC concept?

3. What are their plans for late 2005 and beyond.

Thnaks

DarkArtist
02-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Will the vintage line continue ???

What about Expanded Universe ????

Turbowars
02-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Do they know that the majority of collectors (THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THEM THE BIG BUCKS) hate the new packaging?

mericen
02-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Will we ever see more new ewoks? Even as say a 5 pk or something like that?
Will there be more than one Padme released next year?
And the other questions that the other people have asked for.

TheDarthVader
02-04-2005, 07:42 PM
These questions may repeat...

Where is Yarna?
Any more fans' choice polls?
The new packaging stinks. I can't even fit it into a star case! The art is fine but the design is weak.
How many Darth Vader 3 3/4" figures are planned for 2005? How many 12"?
Will meditation chamber Vader be the special 500th figure? If not, who is the 500th figure?
Will Hasbro eventually finish making one of every figure that was made in the vintage line? Black Bespin Guard? Warok? Romba?
Any chance of seeing General Veers on a single card?
Where is Moff Jerjerrod?
Any chance of seeing Paploo on a single card?

B.
TDV

Devo
02-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Tell them that once ROTS hype dies down we want the OTC packaging to become the default star wars basic figure packaging forever and ever more all the way up to 2018. It cannot be improved upon. Thats as good as it would ever get. Please bring back OTC.

I second any and all OT question people have asked here.

Yarna, Jerrjerrod, Cloud car, new Tie fighter, Jabbas sailbarge, Fans choice, composite Millenium falcon playsets (preferably authenticly sculpted and detailed - not mere frames), Star destroyer bridge etc etc.

master J
02-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Does toy fair coverage begin next week?

Any chance for prequal figures using the VOTC concept?

More mini playsets that connect to make larger playset (like Jedi counsil), they could do:
emperors throne
Star destroyer
Bespin

dindae
02-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I had a question for Lego if you get a chance.

Will we see any more mini fig sets or mini ship sets?

JediTricks
02-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Just to keep everybody in the loop, the deadline for questions is this Sunday.

Toy Fair begins at the end of next week.

Tycho
02-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Can they bottle that new-figure, fresh plastic smell?

Maybe in a combination as a figure-cleaner, like those pressurized air sprays?

This one will be sented however. It can renew your figure's freshness this way - and even do so for vintage figures from the '80s.

Maybe they could package it with an exclusive figure everyone would want - like a repack of Ephant Mon since he had the biggest nose of any SW character to be able to smell other figures in the collection with?

Rocketboy
02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
What is thier justification for the insanely high prices?
Take Marvel Legends for example. They are roughly the same price and 3 times the size of teh average SW figure with better articulation/sculpting (in many cases).

Devo
02-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Don't just ask them if they're going to return to OTC packaging - command them that they in fact are.

The second most pertinent command I'd endorse relates to composite playsets/dioramas where full vehicles are not really feasible - such as the Star destroyer, Tantive IV, Medical frigate and Mon Calamari starcruiser. Can we please have some contexts for our figures?

Despite their recent efforts with the OTC Falcon 2 figures still have difficulty fitting in the cockpit and even when they can they are unrealistically cramped and look like they're performing indecent acts upon eachother. We badly need a proper scale, authentically detailed Millenium Falcon cockpit in which 4 figures can be seated (properly I'd prefer, not with legs sticking out in front) and with room between the seats for maneuvre. The figures ideally would also be able to stand. And if it was to be really really cool there'd be lights. Such a piece could be a forerunner for other similarly detailed sets such as an AT-AT and AT-ST head.

Darth Alex
02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
These questions may repeat...

Where is Yarna?
Any more fans' choice polls?
The new packaging stinks. I can't even fit it into a star case! The art is fine but the design is weak.
How many Darth Vader 3 3/4" figures are planned for 2005? How many 12"?
Will meditation chamber Vader be the special 500th figure? If not, who is the 500th figure?
Will Hasbro eventually finish making one of every figure that was made in the vintage line? Black Bespin Guard? Warok? Romba?
Any chance of seeing General Veers on a single card?
Where is Moff Jerjerrod?
Any chance of seeing Paploo on a single card?

B.
TDV

Jedi Tricks, thanks for the effort and whatever answers you get. You guys always come through with great info and pictures, and I do hope Toyfair rocks for you!
And even though 2/11 was the cut off date, for whateverit'sworth, the above and Devo's questions cover it for me.

I really hope we see the Vader/500th figure/Meditation Chamber at Toyfair.

Darth Alex
02-14-2005, 03:49 PM
What is thier justification for the insanely high prices?
Take Marvel Legends for example. They are roughly the same price and 3 times the size of teh average SW figure with better articulation/sculpting (in many cases).

I'm gonna guess that the usual we have to pay LFL for the license to make the toys stock answer will be bandied about, but come on, Rocketboy has a point that is especially sharp in 2005 once one has seen the new ML wave 8 and compared them to the Sneal Peek figs. Man Thing versus Tion...come on, SW figs should be $4.99 when compared to the Marvel Legends. Size does matter when your pay'n more and gettin jipped on the size factor!!!!:greedy: :crazed:

plasticfetish
02-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Some of these questions, though good, have been asked before I think. Also, I have a feeling that they're more than likely going to focus on ROTS merchandise questions. I doubt that they'll be willing to talk about much beyond what they're showing right now.
Any playsets getting released for either trilogy in the near future?This one's a big deal to me. I love playsets and from the preview photos you can see what looks like a Mustafar playset from ROTS.
Action features again?!?!? I know, you'd think that they'd have dumped this idea, but at Comic-Con they did hint about more of these for ROTS.
Are there any plans to make a Cloud Car in the near future? We've got the pilot.I'd say this is a pretty good example of one of those, "what do you mean by near future?" kind of questions. You know? Maybe after this summer or toward next X-mas... we'll probably have to wait 'til the next Comic-Con to start asking these questions. 'Til after ROTS has died down a bit.
Are they going to make Yarna Gargan or not? Is the rumor about the actresses who played the Tonnika Sisters wanting a high licensing fee, which prevents figures, true?They've said no to Yarna Gargan. I doubt that they'd give any kind of other answer right now. The Tonnika Sisters licensing thing has been talked about also... the main point is, that they're probably not going to bother with these one way or the other.
Several threads have been devoted to additional VOTC figure lists or prequel mock ups. Is this likely?I think that they've said before that we're done with that kind of thing. (But who knows? Maybe in the far off future they'll change their mind.)
Repack figures - CW Clone Trooper, Ephant Mon, last waves of POTF2, Episode I?They pretty much said that Ephant Mon is/was a one time thing, but then they asked if we'd buy it as a deluxe, so... ? As for the other stuff, it's obvious that Hasbro is really fond of re-packing stuff, so I think anything is possible after ROTS.
Will the action features go away soon?"Soon," as in last week? No.
Holiday Special figuresHahahahahaha!
Do they plan to increase articulation in all figures, ala the SA Clone?It looks like a lot of C2 ROTS figures have really good articulation. I'd say that in the past year they've been slowly heading that way (in general.)
Do they know that the majority of collectors (THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THEM THE BIG BUCKS) hate the new packaging?Now they do, but I think the jury's still out on this one -- some people kind of like the new cards, etc.
The new packaging stinks. I can't even fit it into a star case! The art is fine but the design is weak.There's rumors going around about a new Star Case that will fit these ROTS cards. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for news about those.
Can they bottle that new-figure, fresh plastic smell?Yes... yes they can, but they won't. :p "New car smell" is really formaldehyde, maybe you could try some of that.
What is their justification for the insanely high prices?
Take Marvel Legends for example. They are roughly the same price and 3 times the size of the average SW figure with better articulation/sculpting (in many cases).There's no way they're going to go into this beyond saying something about licensing costs and the figures costing more to produce because they've made them with better detail, articulation and quality now. I'd suspect that rising oil prices have had something to do with it, not to mention the simple fact that they just want to make more money. As for Marvel Legends, you're talking about a line where there's only a half dozen new figures produced per wave, and the quality (though I love the line) tends to be kind of random. It's not always the size of the toy that decides the price anyway.
I'm gonna guess that the usual we have to pay LFL for the license to make the toys stock answer will be bandied about, but come on, Rocketboy has a point that is especially sharp in 2005 once one has seen the new ML wave 8 and compared them to the Sneak Peek figs. Man Thing versus Tion...come on, SW figs should be $4.99 when compared to the Marvel Legends. Size does matter when your pay'n more and gettin' jipped on the size factor!!!! There is no comparing Man-Thing to Tion... Man Thing is great, and a great toy for the price. (Well under $10 for me at Wal*Mart.) But again, there's a lot of issues that go into deciding on a cost for these toys. Marvel owns Toy-Biz, so Toy-Biz probably pays NO licensing fees to Marvel. Size does matter, but when it comes to the cost of toys, it's not all about the amount of plastic used. It's about the tooling, casting, assembly, paint, packaging, shipping and distribution. Not to mention, the problem that comes from dealing with a retailer that wants to force you into giving them the merchandise for just pennies above cost... thereby killing your profits just so you can maintain a relationship with them. (You know... because they also sell many of your other toy lines.)

I said it before, (back when the Saga line was sucking and I wasn't happy paying even $5 for a figure) that I'd happily pay $7 if the quality of the toy increased. At this point, we'll just need to wait and see is Hasbro manages to deliver.

dindae
02-18-2005, 07:51 AM
PF most of the questions you answered are the questions most of us knew the answers to but we want to keep asking them simply to let them know "Hey we still want these and we are going to annoy you with questions until you break down and make it." Except for the one question of mine you pointed out which I could care less about I'm just tired of seeing the threads. :p

Devo
02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
They've said no to Yarna Gargan. I doubt that they'd give any kind of other answer right now.they're probably not going to bother with these one way or the other.I think that they've said before that we're done with that kind of thing. (But who knows? Maybe in the far off future they'll change their mind.)They pretty much said that Ephant Mon is/was a one time thing.

Why are they opposed to making Yarna? Is the six breasts thing a taboo for them or something? If its not that or licensing I can't understand why its an outright no to her and yes to other background characters like J'quille.

Also Ephant Mon being a 'one-time-thing' - is that to say we won't be seeing such large characters as 'basic' figures again? Or are they saying we won't be getting large characters like him as either deluxe or basic because thats too much weight in plastic for a figure that will only sell to a hardcore fan market, which I suppose would rule out Hermi Odle, the last 'big' jabbas palace alien.

plasticfetish
02-18-2005, 07:59 PM
PF most of the questions you answered are the questions most of us knew the answers to but we want to keep asking them simply to let them know "Hey we still want these and we are going to annoy you with questions until you break down and make it." Except for the one question of mine you pointed out which I could care less about I'm just tired of seeing the threads. :pYeah, I understand, and you know... for the most part, when you can get into a conversation with one of the designers (or whoever) they seem to be pretty honest about what they can/can't or will/won't try to do. Most of the answers about NOT making things generally had to do with it not being the right time to try -- so again, anything is possible, it's just a matter or timing.

Why are they opposed to making Yarna? Is the six breasts thing a taboo for them or something? If its not that or licensing I can't understand why its an outright no to her and yes to other background characters like J'quille.Again, like I said, the designers all seem to be pretty much into making any and every figure that they can, and that we want, but for Yarna... yeah, it's the "six breasts thing." But seriously, you never know, they could change their mind at some point. (I really doubt it though.)

Also Ephant Mon being a 'one-time-thing' - is that to say we won't be seeing such large characters as 'basic' figures again? Or are they saying we won't be getting large characters like him as either deluxe or basic because that's too much weight in plastic for a figure that will only sell to a hardcore fan market, which I suppose would rule out Hermi Odle, the last 'big' jabbas palace alien.At Comic-Con they indicated -- well, they outright said it -- that Ephant Mon ended up being a very expensive figure for them to make, and that they got in trouble for making it. Seems like sort of a "touchy" subject, but they did kind of ask if we'd buy it as a deluxe figure. (So again, who knows?) I'm sure we'll see other large figures in the future, just not for $5.

Devo
02-18-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm sure we'll see other large figures in the future, just not for $5.

I bought my two Ephants at retail (a Toymaster store) each for the cost of a typical deluxe figure in Ireland despite his being on a Basic card. 15 Euros to the 10 Euros the store was selling usual-sized Basic Saga figures at. There was quite a lot of Ephants sat on that bottom shelf. I wonder did they find homes.

Turbowars
02-20-2005, 09:37 AM
When will our burning questions be answered all mighty one?

Droid
02-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Again, like I said, the designers all seem to be pretty much into making any and every figure that they can, and that we want, but for Yarna... yeah, it's the "six breasts thing." But seriously, you never know, they could change their mind at some point. (I really doubt it though.)

I have said this before, but:

1. If they can do Slave Leia, they can certainly do Yarna.

2. They started to make this figure in the vintage line before the line was
cancelled. If this figure could make it in the early '80's, when the line
was CLEARLY for children, they can make it now.

3. I always am amazed how violence is OK, and sex is bad in this country.
Removable head Vader and Tusken Raider, just fine. Removable arm
Anakin and Walrusman, okey dokey. But COVERED breasts?
Outrageous!

4. It is an EXPANDED UNIVERSE invention that Yarna has six breasts. Since
they are covered, we don't know what's under there. It could be
additional eyes, fat rolls, whatever. If Hasbro doesn't like making a figure
with six breasts, let them think, or even put on the packaging, that
the figure has credits hidden under there; maybe the outfit has six
POCKETS. Maybe the outfit is just cut that way to reveal the skin that
IS showing, rather than to cover the skin that is still covered.

5. If they can make Tanus Spijek, they can make Yarna. That figure
CLEARLY had breasts.

JediTricks
02-20-2005, 01:11 PM
When will our burning questions be answered all mighty one?
Not immediately, Hasbro wasn't answering questions yesterday, so we're gonna keep pressing the issue today but it may have to wait until Toy Fair is over for them to give us their time.

Turbowars
02-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh so there's no official Q&A press conference? So it's possible we wont get any answers? I was looking forward to those 1/2 answered president like answers.:p If there's only one question that should be asked, it's

Will OTC come back after ROTS???

JediTricks
02-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Hasbro NEVER does official Q&A at Toy Fair, some years they hire actors in SW costumes to take people through the showroom and feed them a couple VERY BASIC stock answers. However, Hasbro does send reps to answer retail buyers' questions, and because Toy Fair is such a big press time, they will try to get the most press exposure by answering questions when they have the time - sometimes that means we have to wait till their reps return to Hasbro HQ from Toy Fair to answer the questions though.

Devo
02-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Oh so there's no official Q&A press conference? So it's possible we wont get any answers? I was looking forward to those 1/2 answered president like answers.:p If there's only one question that should be asked, it's

Will OTC come back after ROTS???

Yeah thats the question that most people here have asked. And remember it shouldn't be presented to them as a question. Put it to them in the manner of an assumption!!

Turbowars
02-27-2005, 11:17 AM
OK, that's more than enough time. We want the answers!;)

mabudonicus
02-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Seconded :beard:

I thought maybe I was just missing where they were posted, but I guess not ;)

Kidhuman
02-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Hasbrousually takes about a month and then the answers pop up. But I third the motion of getting answers now.

TheDarthVader
02-28-2005, 11:59 AM
And I concur and fourth the motion that we need answers now .

B.
TDV

JediTricks
02-28-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not even sure the Hasbro reps have actually made it back to Rhode Island yet, but I'll have Steve start nagging them about this. Last time, they ran off to another con and then to New Zealand right after Toy Fair.