PDA

View Full Version : General Grievous Voice Actor Revealed!!

Beast
02-03-2005, 08:45 PM
And it's no one you've ever heard of....
Though he did play Bib Fortuna and voice Ody Mandrell in TPM. :)

His implacable metallic skeleton gives him the aspect of a droid, but hidden inside the armored carapace is an unwholesome, living being. To remind viewers of this inner Grievous, his words are occasionally punctuated with a hard, wet hacking cough suggesting that Grievous is literally rotten to the core.

Providing the voice of Grievous is Matthew Wood, whose history with Star Wars has been mostly behind-the-scenes. Though Wood is an actor, his contribution to the prequel trilogy has been primarily as Supervising Sound Editor. His access to the Episode III production process may have given him a heads-up that casting was underway for the part, but the use of a pseudonym ensured that insider status didn't factor into the selection process.

In a three-hour recording session, Wood laid down all of Grievous lines. "He's definitely an evil character. He's the leader of the droid army, but not a droid. He feels things; he feels things extremely, I would say. It's a lot of yelling, and shouting out orders, so it had a lot of drill sergeant to it."

While studying acting at American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, Wood came across a website that offered samples of various accents to help actors hear and mimic patterns of speech from around the world. "You could hear the same line of dialogue read in different accents," he says. "I liked the sound of the Eastern European and Romanian accents. Also, I had just come back from Prague, so I had that in mind for Grievous."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Interesting.

So much for Davies, eh ?

General_Grievous
02-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Well....this is a bit of a surprise. I am in a way glad that they got an unknown to do the voice, because then people won't recognize his voice. I am a bit relieved that John Rhys-Davies didn't provide his voice, because automatically, people would recognize it. Overall, I'm now really curious to hear what he'll sound like.

darthzirock
02-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Oh man, this coughing business has me worried ... why-the-%$#@ would a droid need to cough? I thought Grievous was basically just a brain and eyes in a droid shell, with barely enough "organics" to fit in a fishbowl. And, great, after the ludicrous accents used for the Gungans and Neimoidians, Grievous is going to sound like DRACULA?! "I liked the sound of the Eastern European and Romanian accents. Also, I had just come back from Prague, so I had that in mind for Grievous." Great ...

"Bleah, bleah, Obi-Van ... I vant to suck your blut!" :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I didn't think John Rhys-Davies would be a good choice, so I'm glad to hear it's someone else. I dunno if Grievous will be good with a weird accent, but we'll have to see.

Just happy he won't sound like Manray or Treebeard. :D

Slicker
02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I think the Eastern European accent will play perfectly. The accent sounds powerful and very evil. Which is exactly what the good Gen. is. He's also a gimmick, can't forget that one.

General_Grievous
02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Hey, an Eastern European accent worked for the Mouth of Sauron in the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Version, it could probably work for Grievous.

But I don't have a real problem with the coughing thing, since Grievous isn't all-droid. He used to be some sort of organism, so for all we know he may still have lungs underneath that droid-metal. :confused:

Slicker
02-04-2005, 03:01 PM
And you know what having lungs means? He's an at least 2 pack a day smoker. Which would account for the cough.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey, an Eastern European accent worked for the Mouth of Sauron in the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Version, it could probably work for Grievous.

But I don't have a real problem with the coughing thing, since Grievous isn't all-droid. He used to be some sort of organism, so for all we know he may still have lungs underneath that droid-metal. :confused:
That accent was weird . . . but would that be what Grievous would sound like? Meh, I dunno about this . . .

General_Grievous
02-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Grievous wouldn't sound exactly like that, but I wouldn't worry about it so much. Nothing is certain about his voice. Me, I would be happy if they just used the same voice as in the cartoon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Grievous wouldn't sound exactly like that, but I wouldn't worry about it so much. Nothing is certain about his voice. Me, I would be happy if they just used the same voice as in the cartoon.
See . . . why didn't they just do that? That dude was perfect. Though when they said it was gonna be the voice of Bender from Futurama, I had my doubts. So hopefully I'll be wrong about this one.