PDA

View Full Version : Kellogg's Mini-Swirlz Cinnammon Bun Cereal

Tycho
02-04-2005, 03:28 AM
I tried this new cereal and it's really good. I just thought I'd tell people.

It isn't as filling as Corn Flakes or Raisin Bran for whatever reason. They bites are bigger, but they're air-puffy so they feel slightly hollow like Corn Pops. This has the result of making you want to eat more of them. Consequently, you'll buy more than one box of this cereal and you'll need extra milk - oh and you'll have to wash your dishes more frequently as you'll run out of cereal bowls faster.

Tycho
02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Well I had another bowl this morning. It's very good. It's like going to one of those "Cinnabuns" in the mall when you open the box up. The smell...

The difference is that you don't have the soft moistness of freshly baked rolls, or that drippy white frosting coming off of it.

I have some extra frosting from those Toaster Treats that come with the little frosting packs you squeeze out. I'm going to try adding the frosting to my cereal next time and see how that tastes. I'm not sure if it will work when I add the milk.

Anyway, I also bought Quaker Cinnammon Life cereal yesterday (at the same time I bought the Kellogg brand) but I know that's good so I wasn't tempted to open that box up yet. I was just interested in trying something new. So far I haven't been disappointed.

DarthQuack
02-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Does it have a lot of fiber? I need my daily dose of fiber to keep me regular :D

Tycho
02-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Dietary Fiber is 1 gram, or 4% of the average daily balance for a healthy adult.

I also eat toast (often cinnammon-sugar toast) with breakfast, and I try a variety of cereals.

I have not noticed any changes in my bowel movements. Everything seems the same as it was before I started eating this new cereal.

I do have to do the dishes now. I own 8 larger cereal bowls (I like eating from the really big ones - not those little things you get in restaurants). Off the subject a bit, I use those little ones (I think I have 12) for stuff like salsa for chip-dipping, or ranch for celery and carrot dipping - that sort of thing.

Cereal needs to be eaten out of a big bowl. It makes the milk really refreshing, like you're almost drinking it, plus you can add more cereal if you put in too much milk.

Slicker
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Is this a new cereal? I seem to recall several years ago a cereal that sounds very similar to the one you're talking about here and if I remember they were pretty darn good. But I think the one I'm thinking of was made by Post.

JediTricks
02-04-2005, 04:53 PM
It's fairly new around here.

For cinnamon breakfast cereal, I stick to good old Cinnamon Toast Crunch, it's literally COVERED in cinnamon-sugar, the bottom of the bag dust is just crazy. :D For non-cereal cinnamon breakfast treats, I go with Trader Joe's Cinnamon Raisin bread (not their Cinnamon Raisin Swirl though, it has less of each) which is a ridiculous amount of both main flavorings, and each slice is massive.

Tycho
02-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Mmmmm. I love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. The sugar content seems to high that I seem to have a food coma after I eat it.

You ever get sleepy after eating certain kinds of food (big hamburgers for example). I've observed this behavior in large carnivores as lions tend to eat, then take a bath, then take a nap.

Sugar is like the opposite use from protein though, but it acts very different. Sort of like the Nitro-boost on Mad Max's car. Cinnammon Toast Crunch has that Nitro boost!

Whoa! I've been misspelling cinnamon. A spell check for the forums would be great. I bet a lot of websites don't have that. It's possible I'm sure - sort of like when you click "Submit" the text goes through an editor program, and it highlights 1) any spelling errors in red and 2) marks with red asterisks any blocked words (bad language) so that the person clicking submit the 2nd time would have the chance to correct anything so that his message was understood.

In this case, you all understood I was talking about the spice Cinnamon. In my cereal it actually has one less "m" and an unknown amount of less sugar than Cinammon Toast Crunch.

I too also like Cinnamon Raisin Bread. I think SunMaid, the raisin company makes the kind I buy at Ralph's (a west coast grocery chain that's like everywhere in California).

stillakid
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm partial to Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs as seen here:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-fictional.html

Tycho
02-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Stillakid, thanks for that great website link.

I had no idea someone with that much time on their hands could come up with such a site. I guess there's something on the internet for everyone for sure now!

Without regrets, my cereal of choice does not come with a catchy cartoon character on the box. Perhaps a person sniffing Mouse Droids with Swirlz in their eyes could help sales of this new cereal, while tie-in with Star Wars promotions, if there are MSE Droids on Republic Star Destroyers in Episode 3.

But anyway, I have matured since several days ago and no longer require cartoon characters to induce me to buy cereal, although the Jedi Go-Gurts from Yoplai were fun last movie season - that's how I learned who Stass Allie was!

plasticfetish
02-07-2005, 03:57 AM
The other night Conan O'Brien did a bit about the new Chocolate Lucky Charms (http://www.luckycharmsfun.millsberry.com/chocolate/index.html) that are coming out. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this idea, but I'm gonna give them a try ASAP.

Tycho
02-07-2005, 10:57 AM
You know the information age is at hand when breakfast cereals have their own web pages with video games.

Well I made it all the way through the mines once I knew what I was doing. I first couldn't figure out how to give them the flashlight - I was trying to shine it into the tunnel for them, and they kept crashing into the walls. Then I got it right after a few accidents!

Later it became fun to drown them under the waterfall or let them fall out of the cart on the rocks left on the track.

It was a lot like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Lucky Charms.

Thanks for the fun game PlasticFetish. I bookmarked that so I can play it again and again. :crazed:

Slicker
02-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't know chocolate Lucky Charms. Sounds and looks alot like Count Chocula which BTW, would be the best cereal around if they could just figure out how to keep the marshmallows from getting all nasty and mushy after only 2.54 seconds of being immersed in milk. Bah!!!

CaptainSolo1138
02-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I don't know chocolate Lucky Charms. Sounds and looks alot like Count Chocula which BTW, would be the best cereal around if they could just figure out how to keep the marshmallows from getting all nasty and mushy after only 2.54 seconds of being immersed in milk. Bah!!!
Why? Do you have a problem with soggy cereal??? :D :D :D

plasticfetish
02-07-2005, 04:09 PM
You know the information age is at hand when breakfast cereals have their own web pages with video games.Everything and everyone will have their own Web page (and probably a fun Flash game) soon enough... you could too Tycho. ;)

I don't know chocolate Lucky Charms. Sounds and looks alot like Count Chocula which BTW, would be the best cereal around if they could just figure out how to keep the marshmallows from getting all nasty and mushy after only 2.54 seconds of being immersed in milk. Bah!!!You know what, you're right! It does sound exactly like Count Chocula, (which I'm pretty sure is a General Mills brand also.) I've never had a bowl of Chocula last more than 2.3 seconds, so I wouldn't know about the "mushy" problem. ;)

JediTricks
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Ralph's is owned by Kroeger, the largest supermarket company in the country.

I had Cocoa Rice Krispies with marshmallows in it last year, it didn't work, they just don't go together. I also don't expecially care for Count Chocula and it's probably the same reason, but maybe if Choco Lucky Charms' chocolate pieces were denser than the puffs in Count Chocula, it might work.

stillakid
02-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Ralph's is owned by Kroeger, the largest supermarket company in the country.

Heil! Except Kroger doesn't have an umlaut.

CaptainSolo1138
02-08-2005, 11:32 AM
I had Cocoa Rice Krispies with marshmallows in it last year, it didn't work, they just don't go together.
WHAT??? Those were the best! I always thought higher of you, JT. :D I'm partial to anything with marshmallows in it. I, for one, love when they get soggy. They become this wonderful sugar nucleus with a fluffy/chewy/sticky coating. If only they'd put marshmallows in Cinnamon Life............

Rocketboy
02-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Why? Do you have a problem with soggy cereal??? :D :D :D:D :D :D

Anyway, my favorite cereal can be tough to find - "Oh's." And it's pretty cheap at only $2 a box.

Although I was intrigued by the Chocolate Lucky Charms Conan was talking about...

stillakid
02-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Soggy cereal is gross, but at least it's safe. Try coming out of a box of fresh Captain Crunch unscathed. :cry:

Lord Malakite
02-09-2005, 03:33 AM
Count Chocula the best cereal around? No way, not with the awsome might that is Boo Berry in existence. All hail the might that is Boo Berry (http://www.i-mockery.com/booberry/default.htm). :beard:

Slicker
02-09-2005, 03:35 AM
I haven't seen Boo-Berry or Franken-Berry around in ages. I had thought that they were discontinued or something. For a time I was having trouble finding Count Chocula and thought that it too had been discontinued. I blew a sigh of relief when I found some a couple of weeks back.

JediTricks
02-09-2005, 08:27 PM
WHAT??? Those were the best! I always thought higher of you, JT. :D I'm partial to anything with marshmallows in it. I, for one, love when they get soggy. They become this wonderful sugar nucleus with a fluffy/chewy/sticky coating. If only they'd put marshmallows in Cinnamon Life............
I'm afraid it's true, they just didn't work together for me. I love both aspects, but as a duo they had 2 left feet.

I hate the soggies so much I don't even eat cereal in milk anymore, only dry.

I recently learned that my sister loathes cereal marshmallows, when asked why she told me it was because they "squeek" on her teeth.

BTW, Boo-Berry and Franken-Berry are stocked at all the Targets in my area, so you guys might wanna check there.

Tycho
02-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Today I bought Kellogg's Honey Smacks because I "Dig'em" No - actually because they were on sale for $2 a box, but the sweetened puffed wheat does taste good.

Expanding my connessuer of breakfast cereals role, I bought the generic grocery store brand of Banana Nut Crunch with real bananas in it. I've had this before and it tastes pretty good and gives you a little bit of a crunch to start your morning with.

I haven't opened the banana box yet, but ate my Honey Smacks this morning while I was posting on SirSteves after I'd returned from a morning board meeting (and the grocery store on the way back home).

Tycho
12-25-2006, 12:55 AM
I just bought and tried Post Honey Combs brand cereal. Instead of creating a new thread to review it, I posted here where everyone's already assembled amongst those fascinated by breakfast cereals.

Post Honey Combs have been around for a long time. It was probably invented in the 1980's.

In any case, it probably had more sugar then. Now, perhaps as a result of the war on obesity, Honey Combs tastes really bland and dry - even when you let it get soggy in the milk. I rate this one a 5 on a scale to 10 with the higher numbers being the best.

Since this thread was originally started about Kellogg's Mini-Swirlz, I wanted to note that I have not recalled seeing these in the store for quite some time now. I eat a lot of Raisin Bran, so I haven't been looking. But IIRC the Cinnamon Swirlz were marketed by the same people that brought us Cinnamon Toast Crunch and I went for it because it reminded me of Cinnabon stores in the mall - and that smell when you went early for KB Toys to open (when they were around).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-25-2006, 09:01 PM
You have to appreciate breakfast cereal that can raise your fat and cholestora. I love the taste of the Mini Buns cereal but I remember but as someone mentioned earlier, I value the fiber in my cereal. If I skip that essential part, I am serious when I say the old pipes sometimes get clogged up. This honestly happened with this cereal when I got into it earlier this year. Sorry, I do have to stick to the Raisain Bran Crunch and other fibery connoctions.

JediTricks
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Post's Honey-Comb cereal is from the '70s actually.

Mini-Swirlz is still in stores, offered in more than 1 flavor now. Mini-Swirlz is from Kellogg's, while Cinnamon Toast Crunch is from General Mills. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is one of the most surprising cereals ever, it's like eating a bowl of cruncy churros; leaving the consumer with no idea how a box of cinnamon sugar, with a few rice crispy squares thrown in to fool parents, could be marketed as an acceptable breakfast choice.

I've recently gotten back into Honey Nut Cheerios after a 20-year hiatus. Like all my cereals of the past decade or so, I exclusively eat it dry.

Tycho
12-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Honey Nut Cheerios is really good. I almost bought it last time but decided to try something new.

I also bought Raisin Bran at the time and have eaten that box nearly halfway through, but have barely touched the Honey Combs. I guess that's saying something.

This is really funny:

it's like eating a bowl of cruncy churros; leaving the consumer with no idea how a box of cinnamon sugar, with a few rice crispy squares thrown in to fool parents, could be marketed as an acceptable breakfast choice.

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Honey Nut Cheerios are the shizzle! I love those, and Cracklin' Oat Bran, and Frosted Mini-Wheats. (Why do I love the healthy cereals?)

But why am I posting here? Because I just clicked stilla's link to the fictional cereal page.

FRANK ZAPPA WAS THE VOICE OF POWDERED TOAST MAN?!?!?!?
GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!!!

Seriously, that's a cool tidbit of knowledge. I didn't realize he was still alive and in good enough health by that time.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Honey Nut Cheerios are the shizzle! I love those, and Cracklin' Oat Bran, and Frosted Mini-Wheats. (Why do I love the healthy cereals?)My sister and I love Cracklin' Oat Bran with its brown sugar, cinnamon, palm oil (that's the secret ingredient that makes it taste unique), malt, and nutmeg flavor, but that is probably the fattiest breakfast cereal on the market at 7 grams of fat per 3/4-cup serving.

But why am I posting here? Because I just clicked stilla's link to the fictional cereal page.

FRANK ZAPPA WAS THE VOICE OF POWDERED TOAST MAN?!?!?!?
GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!!!

Seriously, that's a cool tidbit of knowledge. I didn't realize he was still alive and in good enough health by that time.Er, no, sorry, that page is not correct, Zappa voiced the Pope in the first PTM episode back in '92 and has only a couple lines (the censors made them change the credit to say "The man with the funny white hat" in edited versions), Gary Owens is the voice of PTM, that first episode of which you can watch right here with the original, unedited credit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP2yLsw1q9w

El Chuxter
12-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Somehow, Frank voicing the Pope actually sounds more appropriate.

:mabs:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-30-2006, 04:37 PM
As for Frankenberry and Booberry (that looks dirty when it's typed like that), they used to be around in my area only for Halloween, but they were nowhere to be found this past time.

I also used to love Capn Crunch's Christmas cereals, especially the one where it actually came with a big ol' tube of frosting. Holy hot damn, that was good.

I also really liked Pop-Tart cereal, Razzle Dazzle Krispies, and those ones that were in the shape of stars and had sprinkles. God bless the mid-90s.

General_Grievous
12-30-2006, 04:59 PM
I also really liked Pop-Tart cereal, Razzle Dazzle Krispies, and those ones that were in the shape of stars and had sprinkles. God bless the mid-90s.

Why did they stop making Pop-Tart cereal? That was friggin' delicious.

Another cereal I rarely see around here is Alpha-Bits (and Marshmallow Alpha Bits). Those were really good.

Tycho
12-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Has anybody ever tried to learn if all 26 letters of the alphabet were included with Alphabits? I mean could you play Scrabble with it?