PDA

View Full Version : I bought my first non-SW Lego set today: Doc Ock's Hideout

2-1B
02-04-2005, 04:53 PM
As a kid I had several Lego sets and I loved them, specifically these Medieval Knight sets. Of course, those are long gone. :(

So as an adult I started to love Legos again and I only bought Star Wars. Nothing against the other lines but I just don't have the money for it considering how much ca$h I blow on other stuff. ;)

Today at WM while scooping up a $12 Cantina and the Dago-Wing for $18, I noticed this Spidey Doc Ock set for $11 . . . $11 when the original price was $48.something if I am reading it correctly.

I'm not even a big fan of the Spider-Man films, although I enjoyed the second one much more than the first.

Anyway, just my initial post in the non-SW Lego owning world ! :D

(There are other Spidey sets on clearance as well as some other lines but nothing for as good a deal as this specific set - if I like what I see when I build it, I might go back for more.)

Kidhuman
02-04-2005, 05:36 PM
If you really loved the medieval Knight sets check this link...

http://shop.lego.com/leaf.asp?cn=192&d=7&t=3

Ji'dai
02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh-oh, now you've done it. I picked up that Doc Ock set too for $10. But it's hardly my first non-SW set. I started collecting LEGO again in the Summer of 1998, the year the Adventurers archaelogical sets first came out. Then I got into Pirates and Town... and then the Star Wars license was announced later that year... better stop now before it's too late.

I love Town sets so the non-Star Wars set I'm drooling over practically every time I see it is the new "Building Bonanza" house set. For Townies, the debut of a new house set is a blessed event. I mean, we get Police and Fire Stations and all kinds of vehicles, but where the heck do all these people live?

Slicker
02-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Those new sets are nice and all but nothing really compares to the old school Lego Castles. It's almost as if Lego just doesn't try anymore. Now they come with new fandangled chrome swords and skeletons.

Ji'dai I've never seen that house before. That's frikkin' sweet. Is it an exclusive or is it a custom of someones?

LTBasker
02-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Man I envy you guys, my wal-marts absolutely suck with LEGO selections (they definitely don't have those sets anymore) and they hardly ever do LEGO clearances that are worth anything. It's usually just a couple bucks or so knocked off...

Ji'dai
02-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Ji'dai I've never seen that house before. That's frikkin' sweet. Is it an exclusive or is it a custom of someones?

It's a new Designer set for '05. Right now it's still a LEGO Shop @ Home exclusive, but I hope it'll show up at TRU or other retailers.

LusiferSam
02-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Medieval Knight sets.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh the horror, the blaspheme. I need to wash my soiled eyes. :crazed:

Seriously the line the was called Castle, back when Lego really put out some great sets. The Knight's Kingdom stuff (junk) kh linked you to is a joke compared to the '80s sets. The '05 sets are better than the '04, but that's not saying much.

I thought about getting the Doc Ock lab, but seeing is how some of the figures are incorrectable I have no interest in it at this tine. I hope you enjoy it and it kicks the door open on you lego habit.

2-1B
02-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Sorry Satan Sam, sorry for the misnomer. :rolleyes:

:D

Yeah, it was definitely a big castle I had, truly awesome !

What do you mean by "Incorrectable" Spiey Legos ? Do you mean skin tone ? This is my first set with non-yellows (well, except for that Cloud City I have coming in the mail ;) ) so I'm not sure what you mean. :)

Kidhuman
02-06-2005, 12:56 AM
LS, are they really that bad. I never had many Lego's as a kid so I wouldnt know how the old ones are. I just know I see them in stores and in the catalogs from the Lego Fan Club.

Caesar, I believe Cloud City still has the yellow figs as it was released over a year ago.

2-1B
02-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Caesar, I believe Cloud City still has the yellow figs as it was released over a year ago.

I was referring to Lando. ;)

LusiferSam
02-06-2005, 01:57 PM
What do you mean by "Incorrectable" Spiey Legos ? Do you mean skin tone ?
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. As a long time lego collector those skin toned mini figure brother me to no end. MJ, Harry, and Peter all have yellow versions, so they're "correctable." Doc Ock, Aunt May and JJJ don't, so they're "incorrectable."

LS, are they really that bad. I never had many Lego's as a kid so I wouldnt know how the old ones are. I just know I see them in stores and in the catalogs from the Lego Fan Club.
Myself and many others seem to think so. This forum for Lego Castle (http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/) might be enlightening. Look for stuff titled KK2 (Knight's Kingdom 2). But if you like the set don't let my opinion of them stop you from buying them for yourself or your kids. Seems like about '93 or '94 Lego lost its sense of direction just has never really found its way again.

Kidhuman
02-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I have no opinion either way. I am not a collector of Lego's,justthe SW versions. I might be when SW comes ot an end,m but as of now, its too much ot take on.

DarthQuack
02-06-2005, 10:27 PM
As much as I would like to get into SW Lego's it's way too much money for me right now to spend more on those.

Slicker
02-06-2005, 11:29 PM
You should really try to get into the Lego's DQ. You can find most of the new ones for a steeply discounted price at stores and they're just so damned fun to build. If anything just buy the little ones to see if you like 'em.:)

Kidhuman
02-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah DQ, I never paid full price for any Lego except a few minis and MEC. ALl the rest I bought at huge discounts of 50-75% off regular price.Scour the clearance aisles.

DarthQuack
02-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Damn you kid and slicker....while I'm waiting for the Post Office counter to re-open at 12 I decide to check out Tarjay and Wally World, and saw ROTS Lego's at both stores, the Anakin Starfighter to be exact for 20 beans, which I didn't buy, but I DID happen to stumble on a Lego Snowspeeder marked at 6 dollars down from 20.....now what would I normally do? Just look at it and put it back on the shelf....but NOOOOOO since you two brains gave me a little push towards them I picked it up......real nice guys.....:p

Slicker
02-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Congrats DQ. You've just taken your first step into a larger world.:D
Have fun putting it together.

Kidhuman
02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
YAY!!! He drank the Kool-Aid. You'll enjoy it DQ.

DarthQuack
02-07-2005, 09:34 PM
So I've been reading these boards closely today, so if I happen to find the Dagobah X-Wing at a cheap price it's worth the pick up?

Kidhuman
02-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Yes...........................

JediTricks
02-07-2005, 11:24 PM
The X-wing is definitely worth it at even $30.

2-1B
02-08-2005, 01:22 AM
I built this set tonight and for $11 it is pretty cool !

The newer skin tones started giving me delusions of swapping them in with my Star Wars sets but I just can't do it because I'd never have enough to replace ALL of the yellow ones.

I didn't put the stickers on the windows because I may want to use this one for other parts down the road but for now it's a pretty neat set. I wouldn't have paid full price for it but considering it was originally $50, I certainly got some value from my purchase.

I think I'll go ahead and pick up the other Spidey 2 sets on clearance. :)