PDA

View Full Version : Getting all the vintage figures!

JON9000
02-04-2005, 11:21 PM
I have recently decided to focus more on collecting vintage figures. Collecting the current figures has gotten kind of boring for me, I only get OT figures anymore and with prices going up, :ermm:. Not to mention there won't be much OT in 05.

And I think collecting vintage will be a lot of fun! :) I have about 30 odd figures from my childhood, but only nine of them have weapons. The complete nine so far:

Dengar
Imperial Officer
Endor Rebel Commando
Sensor Scope R2
Greedo
Hammerhead
Zuckuss
Weequay

1. the first thing I want to do is purchase caches of vintage weapons I come across on ebay and complete the figures I already have. That seems cooler than just buying big lots of complete figures! Even though Bespin Han is looking pretty rough, I'll give him a new gun and take him any day over a C-10 one (whatever that means)! The other good part about getting weapons is that I can hopefully come here to SSG and sell any extras for a buck or two, or trade with people.

2. then I want to get the figures I had when I was a kid, but managed to misplace or destroy.

3. After that, I think I'll just start at the beginning and work from there!

Anyhoo, not that it makes for really interesting reading, but I will make this thread sort of a journal about my immortal quest for all the old figures!

LusiferSam
02-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a good plan of attack. Don't be afraid to buy figures of opportunity. And I tell you it took me longer to find all the my missing accessories than it did to find the rest of the figures (I started with 35 from childhood and had 8 complete). I don't know how you feel about repro accessories (I personally hate them), but if you want real ones you really need to do some hard core research and ask a lot of questions.

JON9000
02-05-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't like repros either. I know it is going to be tough, and I can already tell certain accessories are going to be next to impossible to find separate and original, like capes and lightsabers. I have no capes for any of my figures.

LusiferSam
02-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Capes aren't as hard to find as you might think (I even have a couple extra). Vinyl is normally pretty obvious. My take is most of the time people don't' try to pass off a repro cape as an original, unless we're talking about Jawas. The cloth ones I have no clue on. I'm real sure the stuff I've got is real, but not as sure as I'm about the weapons or vinyl capes.

Telescoping lightsabers were harder to come by, but I saw more of the other kind as repros. The drop test I find doesn't work real well with the sabers. Color and shape are good indicator for the telescopes. And size, color, shape and texture are all important of the regular type.

Real hard stuff to find are the POTF accessories. Lots of repros floating around and very few of the real thing.

JON9000
02-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Capes aren't as hard to find as you might think (I even have a couple extra). Vinyl is normally pretty obvious. My take is most of the time people don't' try to pass off a repro cape as an original, unless we're talking about Jawas. The cloth ones I have no clue on. I'm real sure the stuff I've got is real, but not as sure as I'm about the weapons or vinyl capes.

Telescoping lightsabers were harder to come by, but I saw more of the other kind as repros. The drop test I find doesn't work real well with the sabers. Color and shape are good indicator for the telescopes. And size, color, shape and texture are all important of the regular type.

Real hard stuff to find are the POTF accessories. Lots of repros floating around and very few of the real thing.

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about buying a leia bespin cape. I would guess no one would even bother, since it goes a step further and has actual printing on it!

jjreason
02-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Nice project, Jon. I had 72 complete when I was a kid (inclusive up until the Leia-Endor line of ROTJ where I only had a couple) and sold them the summer before my marriage to raise money. I decided when VOTC came out that I wanted those 12 in nice shape to display with the new versions, so that's where I started. I'm not quite done that yet (still need Luke Tatooine and Stormtrooper), but have managed to grab a few extra figures with accessories along with way. I'm now back up to 20 figures, complete and in very nice shape. They're making me pretty happy, especially my Han Solo as it's the small headed version that my kid brother destroyed on me back in the day! My current goal is to finish off the first 21 figures (need Death Star Droid, R5D4 and Jawa to along with the ones mentioned above) and then decide if I want to get going on the 30 ESB figures or wait until the rush from ROTS is over. I think I'm edging towards waiting.

I've noticed pictures of a VERY nice display module for the first 20 figures floating around, a well-made base with some tatooine area blending into cantina area. I'd like to get one of those to display my babies, but I think it's valued at close to $100 Canadian. I'm wondering if that company is going to try and put something together for the ESB figures, that would be hard for me to pass up.

JON9000
02-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Do you have a link to a picture of it? My quest was sort of inspired by a display I saw on Rebelscum of a lot of vintage figures.

Today a lot of auctions I was in ended. All I can say is that lot auctions of vintage weapons can pull a lot of money. I put in a $45 bid for a 42 weapon lot (which would have complete a lot of my loose figures) and lost. When it ended, the auction was up to $72!

But I did pick up a Cloud Car, complete ugnaught, Boba Fett, Dengar, Imperial Officer, and Bespin Luke with saber for $20 shipping included. I think this is a pretty good haul, considering complete Ugs look like they go for about $8 alone with shipping.

evenflow
02-07-2005, 01:34 PM
It sounds like a good plan, but you may actually spend more money just trying to buy the weapns than buying complete figures. That has just been my experience. Good Luck :)

jjreason
02-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Try this link, if it doesn't work it's likely a mal-formed URL problem. The name of the (UK) company is pridedisplays, so a search for them might dig it up also.

http://pridedisplays.com/indexx.htm

JON9000
02-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Man, thirty quid is a lot of cash, especially when you add in even more for transatlantic shipping. I see alot of old Kenner 12 displays on ebay, but they go for a pretty good amount also. :(

And I am already finding out that white Leia's blaster and Hoth Han/Bespin Luke's blaster is difficult to come by as well. Oh well, that's what makes it fun!

Lazer Brain
02-07-2005, 05:14 PM
i just started collecting the vintage again over a year ago, i have had the most luck for 'accesories' at my local flea market. if you have one near by ,or even a antique mall, you might have some luck. the spring days will have better pickings.
later

jjreason
02-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I wound up getting the bluish blaster with the ANH Leia I bought from a guy not too long ago. I'm not that worried about it, but as far as I know she only came with the black one. Is that what you're referring to?

What's different about Luke Bespin/Han Hoth's blasters? Are they bluish as well or set up differently from the usual ones?

LusiferSam
02-07-2005, 08:35 PM
What's different about Luke Bespin/Han Hoth's blasters? Are they bluish as well or set up differently from the usual ones?
What makes them different is the bluish hue they have. There's no differences in shape or change to the mold, just color. Most ESB accessories were blue.

I wound up getting the bluish blaster with the ANH Leia I bought from a guy not too long ago. I'm not that worried about it, but as far as I know she only came with the black one. Is that what you're referring to?
The original Leia came with a black colored blaster. Both ESB Leias had blue ones. If you have a blue one for you SW Leia, its not wrong per say. Kenner was known to make small mistakes with accessory type or color from time to time. Black would be the "most" correct in this case.

And I am already finding out that white Leia's blaster and Hoth Han/Bespin Luke's blaster is difficult to come by as well.
Really? I had lots of trouble finding black Han guns. Blue ones were easy to come by, but not the black. That's the market for you. :rolleyes:

JON9000
02-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Well, I just got a complete Boba Fett, Imperial Commander, Ugnaught, Dengar, and Bespin Luke missing his gun. I got the 5 of them for $20 including shipping, with a Cloud Car thrown in (didn't have one). A pretty good haul, I think. It is too bad that out of the eight I already had complete, Dengar and The IC were already there, so now I have a couple of duplicates.

I haven't had a vintage Bespin Luke for nearly probably 20 years. Kinda weird!]

About the Han guns- there were 3 colors, Black, Blue/black, and Blue. Blue only came with 2 figures, Black came with one (I think it was endor Han), and Blue/black came with ANH Han, Luke X-wing, Greedo, and I think Snaggletooth.

There is actually a flea market at the fairgrounds in raleigh on the weeekends, I'll have to check it out for weapons.

JON9000
02-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Today I bought a lot of 19 weapons off ebay. I am hoping they turn out to be legit. With these nineteen, I can use immediately use 10 of them on figures I already own, making 7 complete.

Complete:
Bespin Han
Gammorean Guard
Lando Skiff
Dengar
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Nien Nunb

Gets a weapon but still needs help:
ESB Lando
Klaatu (palace)
Lobot

Also, the weapons left over I can use to complete loose, weaponless figures I can pick up on the cheap. I can get an ATAT Driver, Biker Scout, Klaatu Skiff Guard, Chief Chirpa.

I will also have a couple of extra snowtrooper guns and an extra Zuckuss rifle. Oh well.

jjreason
02-16-2005, 01:41 AM
I've got an extra grey Lando cape here, Jon, if that's what you need for your ESB Lando. PM me. My replacement Lando came, and he's beautiful. The first one I got has been handed down to the kids, the accessories got put aside. There is a small tear at the collar and I believe one in one of the arm holes, but at least you'd have it.

JON9000
02-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Man, I hate waiting for the mail. I am really looking forward to my weapons coming, but so far no luck.

Jayspawn
02-23-2005, 10:29 PM
I hate waiting to the mail too. Its too suspenseful!

vader121
02-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Waiting for the mail is torture. However I am like a kid on Xmas morning when I see a box with my name on it at the door. I'm all smiles for a while.

JON9000
02-25-2005, 01:46 PM
ALRIGHT! My weapons came today, and 5 more of my figures are now complete. In addition, I can get about 5 to 8 loose figures and have them complete as well!

I used the SITHNET comparison guide, and they are all original weapons! (WHEW!)

Now I think I am going to go ahead and get the other figures I can now complete:

Chief Chirpa
Skiff Klaatu
AT-AT Driver
Biker Scout
Tie Pilot

I already have Zuckuss, Dengar and the Snowtrooper, so I am not sure what I will do with those extras. This is cool. :cool:

Slicker
02-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Have you considered going carded as well Mr. 9000? Or are you just gonna go for loose? I myself am trying to get a carded collection of the vintage figs going but right now my money is going to other more frivolous adventures.

JON9000
02-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Have you considered going carded as well Mr. 9000? Or are you just gonna go for loose? I myself am trying to get a carded collection of the vintage figs going but right now my money is going to other more frivolous adventures.
Nah, it just costs too much. I like carded figures, but if I am going to spend an extra 10 grand on something, I am going to pimp my ride or buy something else chicks dig. Or go abroad.

JON9000
03-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Slow going lately, but jjreason hooked me up with a Lando cape. Poor old Lando has been without his fashionable cloak for about 23 years. Putting your old figures back together with accessories is a lot of fun. Recommended for everyone!

Thanks jj, you own.

LusiferSam
03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I already have Zuckuss, Dengar and the Snowtrooper, so I am not sure what I will do with those extras. This is cool. :cool:
I hear you. Extras seem to come with the territory. I always figured I'd sell my extras once I completed my collection. Well its been close to a year now and I still haven't sold any of them. :rolleyes: I guess an army builder like the Snowtrooper might be worth keeping if you wanted to set a display with a Hoth playset. I said I was going to do that too and haven't. :rolleyes:

JON9000
04-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Today I got one of the more expensive members of my quest, a Blue Saber / Snap Cape Luke Jedi figure in really nice shape. The seller had a really good feedback rating and I feel pretty safe about the cape. If the gun or saber are Repro, I should be able to tell pretty quickly, since they are relatively easy to spot. I am pretty optimistic about this one though! :)

I wanted this version of Luke b/c thats the one I had as a kid (and beat to hell and lost all the accessories for). :(

I think this makes 21.

evenflow
04-22-2005, 04:04 PM
I picke dup a snap cape recently as well. I also picked up a max rebo band set with black microphones and a silver flute and a Lili Ledy Red Cape Squid Head. I need a few more variants and then I will be completely done. :)

JON9000
04-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Today I went to the local flea market for the first time. There was one booth dedicated to toys and SW was well represented, as was the Transformers. The place was pretty crowded, but he had some nice items. He saw me looking at the loose figures and pulled out a star case (the knock off figure case) full of really nice vintage figures from ANH and ESB. Man, the capes on Leia, Obi-Wan and the Snowtrooper were just great. He told me a woman came in and sold him the case (about 25 figures) that day. I was very tempted, but the prices were pretty ridiculous. I know a near mint Snowtrooper can be had for less than $20.

Anyhoo, I did come across some nice ebay figures- I picked up Bespin Leia, 2-1b, and FX-7 for about $12 plus $2.50 shipping. I have to get the figures in to be sure about the status of the weapons, but it looks like Leia is included with an ANH black blaster instead of the blue one, which is fine by me, b/c the black one is next to impossible to find.

Later this week I'll fill everyone in on my Blue saber Luke, when he gets here! If these new figures work out it will push my total to around 23.

jjreason
04-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Slow going lately, but jjreason hooked me up with a Lando cape. Poor old Lando has been without his fashionable cloak for about 23 years. Putting your old figures back together with accessories is a lot of fun. Recommended for everyone!

Thanks jj, you own.

LOL, Thanks Jon! :D Glad to see you're still picking away, I'm on a long-term vintage hiatus due to the glut of new toys coming out.

I have recently thrown up a thread at a Canadian forum though letting local folks know I still need a few from the first 20 (which was what my goal turned into once I was close to getting the 12 figures that were recreated for VOTC).

I'm still thinking about dropping the bucks for that display set - but I haven't seriously looked into what it would cost me.

I still do have the bespin blaster from that extra Lando, that should help me down the road in case I come across a nice black Bespin guard that's missing his.

JON9000
04-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm still thinking about dropping the bucks for that display set - but I haven't seriously looked into what it would cost me.
I would love to have a display case like this one...

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/collections/maibauer/Sammlung06.jpg&text=Roman%20Maibauer's%20Collection

Ahh, I also got my super-sweet Luke Jedi with snap cape and blue saber today! I have used the armory of the Jawas to vet my new weapons, and I am convinced they are legit. And the figure is absolutely sterling.

I know I was trying to pick up weapons to complete the figures I already have first, but man, this looked too good to pass up!!! :D

Slicker
04-25-2005, 07:32 PM
I had bids in for 5 vintage figs over the weekend and got sniped on 3 of them with literally less than 10 seconds on each. The other 2 I got outbid by hundreds of dollars. Whoda thunk you couldn't win an unpunched SW Power Droid for $30.;)

JON9000
05-12-2005, 07:25 PM
I just got a take apart c-3po off of ebay for $6 incl. shipping. This dealer had 80-odd baggied figures and I snagged one. I figured for a baggied figure it wasn't a bad deal, especially since 3po tends to loosen in the joints quickly and lose his gold coat.

I have coming in the mail also a bespin Leia. I cannot be sure, but I think she comes with the black blaster, which is fine, because that particular weapon seems to be about impossible to find!

I'm also keeping an eye on a couple of other nice auctions that will help me complete my quest! Updates soon!

BTW- if anybody needs a weapon for:
Zuckuss
Dengar

Let me know what you have extras of and maybe we can swap!!

LusiferSam
05-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I have coming in the mail also a bespin Leia. I cannot be sure, but I think she comes with the black blaster, which is fine, because that particular weapon seems to be about impossible to find!
No, Bespin and Hoth Leia came with blue blaster. Only the original Princess Leia came with a black blaster. But, this is a big but, Kenner was known to make mistakes and substitutions. So your Bespin Leia with black blaster isn't totally wrong.

JON9000
05-13-2005, 07:52 AM
No, Bespin and Hoth Leia came with blue blaster. Only the original Princess Leia came with a black blaster. But, this is a big but, Kenner was known to make mistakes and substitutions. So your Bespin Leia with black blaster isn't totally wrong.
Yeah, I know, but the one in the picture of the item up for bids was black (I think). Coulda been a mistake on his part or (shudder) I'm getting a repro.

JON9000
05-14-2005, 08:31 PM
ugh. I got two more figures today, a FX-7 and a Bespin Leia. Leia came with a black blaster, and it was a repro. It was missing the circle and it failed the drop test. The good news is that I am now sure every other weapon I have is legit. the drop test really works- it sounds very different with the harder plastic. Still- I wish the figure was completely legit. I sent a note to the seller directing him to the sithnet site so (hopefully) he will be more careful form now on. I assume the cape is legit- it is pretty hard to fake a bespin leia cape!

JON9000
05-17-2005, 12:36 PM
I got a naked Chief Chirpa and a couple of loose Snowtrooper capes the other day. I already had CC's accessories and I already have a loose trooper, so this will give me two complete figures. I can pick up another trooper to go with the cape and have two of them.

I feel pretty good about the capes, they were somewhat dirty and didn't lay flat, so I am pretty sure they are legit!!

Slowly but surely I am getting there. I have 23 complete, unique figures,

8 were complete going into this
3 were purchased complete off ebay
11 have been completed by purchasing accessories
1 was purchased to match accessories I had

It's sort of like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

3 ANH
14 ESB
6 ROTJ

sjd9299
05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
You are on an awesome quest. I started in 1994 and am only missing the real rare stuff like Yak Face and Vinyl Jawa. I found the best way to to it was to buy huge lots on Ebay. It is a lot of money at once but the price per item is usually pretty good. For example I bought an entire collection. It had one of every figure through Jedi, all complete and 25 ships. Plus a few other misc. extras. I only paid $450 and this included shipping. Thats less than four dollars per item. Imagine getting a Darth Vader TIE for $4. On the other hand have much more fun searching for the figures. I hunt everywhere trying to find that "deal of a life time." You know, a Yak Face at a flea market for $.50.
It did happen to me once. I set up at a toy show, this is a must if you buy entire collections you get lots of extras you don't need, and someone saw my vintage Star Wars and asked if I was willing to buy some. So I go out to his car and he has with him, 12" Boba Fett complete with an ESB box, 12" Luke complete with box, 12" 3PO w/ box, and 12" Chewie complete w/ box. Plus a blue snaggletooth and a double telescoping saber Luke. Also a Jawa that had lost his little plastic cape to the guys dog. Too bad, huh? So he asked how much his stuff was worth and I showed him a price guide. I was completely honest with him. I aslo said that those prices were for perfect examples and that they were just a guide. I am not a rich man and all I had was $300 on me. So I made the offer, not expecting to get anything. He said he would take $350. I said $325, he said deal and I went off to find $25 more. That was my best day ever.

JON9000
05-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Pretty sweet deal-

My primary goal is to restore my own childhood figures to some semblance of their former glory... I am not going to put any paint on them, but I am trying to find all of the accessories needed to at least complete them. This method is actually pretty stupid, money-wise. Accessory lots tend to run about $4 per piece, and you always have mixed in a good number of really common ones- those that came in the weapons pack put out by Kenner. The problem of repros rears its ugly head, too.

Getting a nice set of Han, Leia, and black Stormtrooper blasters & lightsabers is proving to be difficult.

Jayspawn
05-26-2005, 09:23 AM
My goal is to have a complete loose and mint set. I've been getting snap-shell cases for each individual figure. Including Blue Snaggletooth and Yak Face of course.

bigbarada
05-29-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm also focusing more on vintage figures, but I don't think I really want to collect all 96 figures. Right now I'm focusing primarily on the "last-17" figures and the ROTJ line. Of course, once I have all 17 of the "last-17" the rest is all downhill.

typecast84
05-31-2005, 02:00 PM
I am looking to sell my entire Star Wars collection. I have both vintage and newer items. 99% of all items are complete and in excellent condition. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a 22 page list. I also have photos of every item available upon request.

JON9000
06-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Well, I got my snowtrooper capes and I hooked my old ST up with one of them. I am convinced they are legit b/c one of them was dirty and the other worn a bit. I also got a Squid Head. I wanted to take all the soft goods off and put them on my OG squiddy, but it looks like you cannot get the cloak off without destroying it!

LusiferSam
06-09-2005, 08:57 PM
For a long time I thought the same thing myself. The head is removable and that's how you get the cape off. Or that is what the folks over at scum say in the Squid Head (http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtSquidhead.asp) write up. See the photos and read the description at the bottom of the page. I will say I've never been brave enough to try this one my Squid Head as I really don't want to mess up a good figure for no reason.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2005, 09:52 AM
I will say I've never been brave enough to try this one my Squid Head as I really don't want to mess up a good figure for no reason.I guess I am a "scalper," as I am the proud (??) owner of a head of a Squid Head. I used to remove it all the time, until the head peg decided this was not a good idea anymore. Had to get another one. :(
I also have Hoth Han, first Bespin guard, and Luke Bespin heads somewhere.

BTW, the best vintage figures to remove heads were:
- Biker Scout (closest one could get to Han/Luke in Stormtrooper outfits at the time)
- General Madine (could make anyone a ROJ general outfit figure)
- Star Destroyer Cmndr (cool imperial outfits)

sjd9299
06-11-2005, 11:04 AM
I've got an interesting story about vintage SW heads. When my interest in Star Wars was re-sparked in '97 I crawled up into the attic to retrive my childhood figures. I found almost everything I remembered playing with, except one thing. My Princess Leia Organa was missing her head. WHAT? Where could it have gone? Not in the box, not anywhere. A few years later we where having a family kickball game in the back yard. I kicked the ball high and hard. It hit the rain gutter on the house. This caused some crap to jump out of the gutter. Mixed in with the leaves and junk was a Princess Leia head. How it got in the gutter on the back of the house I will never know. I rarely played with my toys outside and never abused them by throwing them on the roof. Maybe it was one of my brothers. Cool that I found it and that it had spent like 15 years up there.

JON9000
06-11-2005, 07:04 PM
you guys havent cleaned your gutters in 15 years??!

How was the condition of the head?

I tried the decapitation technique last night and destroyed the new squiddy, but I got the cloak on over the head of my old one so I actually achieved my goal!

tjzzz72
06-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Do you have a link to a picture of it? My quest was sort of inspired by a display I saw on Rebelscum of a lot of vintage figures.

Today a lot of auctions I was in ended. All I can say is that lot auctions of vintage weapons can pull a lot of money. I put in a $45 bid for a 42 weapon lot (which would have complete a lot of my loose figures) and lost. When it ended, the auction was up to $72!

But I did pick up a Cloud Car, complete ugnaught, Boba Fett, Dengar, Imperial Officer, and Bespin Luke with saber for $20 shipping included. I think this is a pretty good haul, considering complete Ugs look like they go for about $8 alone with shipping.

I have a vintage question too, an auction on Ebay I just found today, loose whole group no reserve,the seller has a 143 of them total. The starting bid is $1 with no reserve so you know it's going to sell no matter what happens. I also see the auctions time is late so snipping would be out. However what would be a good price for the figures like this anyway? Anyone have any ideaís? These are non-played with figures too, and 92 or 93 of them are said to be taken right from the card. So Iím very interested in it, but what would a set like this cost, what would a fair price be? Anyone have any idea?

They say at $10 a figure that it would be $1,430 and at $20 each it would be $2860. Now I would like to try for these but what would be a price to aim for? Even $2,860 you might miss them. Any idea, yes Iím new. However I canít find any price guides around on such things, and I donít have all the time in the world if I were to bid on them.

Tony

JON9000
06-20-2005, 09:56 PM
The item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I can tell you that prices right now are about half what they were in the week or so leading up to the relelase of ROTS. If you buy a "lot" of figures I would expect them to be deeply discounted because a lot of buyers are simply priced out. I would say for a 143 piece set that I would look to pay about $6 per item.

BTW- I got a new vintage Obi-wan today, and I have bids in on Vader and an ATAT driver. I also have a Gonk, DS Droid, Bespin Guard, and Ackbar on the way!!!

Obi-wan looks really great. Is it me, or do the capes soften up with age? I seem to remember the vinyl being a lot less forgiving when I was a kid, but these days it seems a lot softer...

Slicker
06-21-2005, 01:51 AM
I have a vintage question too, an auction on Ebay I just found today, loose whole group no reserve,the seller has a 143 of them total. The starting bid is $1 with no reserve so you know it's going to sell no matter what happens. I also see the auctions time is late so snipping would be out. However what would be a good price for the figures like this anyway? Anyone have any ideaís? These are non-played with figures too, and 92 or 93 of them are said to be taken right from the card. So Iím very interested in it, but what would a set like this cost, what would a fair price be? Anyone have any idea?

They say at $10 a figure that it would be $1,430 and at $20 each it would be $2860. Now I would like to try for these but what would be a price to aim for? Even $2,860 you might miss them. Any idea, yes Iím new. However I canít find any price guides around on such things, and I donít have all the time in the world if I were to bid on them.

TonyI wouldn't no more than $5 or the $6 that JON9K said. You can find individual figures for about that price so don't pay more just because it's a lot. Although the shipping may be a big saver in the long run.

jjreason
06-21-2005, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't no more than $5 or the $6 that JON9K said. You can find individual figures for about that price so don't pay more just because it's a lot. Although the shipping may be a big saver in the long run.

I'd agree - but with so little information it's really hard to offer up any advice. If the lot includes any of the POTF2 figures (especially any of the really pricey ones - Yak Face for example) can really generate a lot of interest in an auction like this, as can condition and completeness of the lot.

Common sense to us, but not necessarily to someone new. Don't hesitate to ask questions of the seller, Tony, especially if you're really interested in just a few pieces in the collection.

tjzzz72
06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey thanks for all the replies, but what I am talking about is stated as a complete set with many variations. Star Wars Loose Vintage Figures whole group No reserve (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5982984710&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

This has the POTF figures in it, and Iíve seen most of them go for alot on EBay in the past when POTF were in the group or sold just as one figure, like for around $40 to $60 or some thing like that, and that is depending on the condition of the figure sure. What I was trying to figure out was the value of a set of 93 figures, as a group, and what, or how the condition would change the price if any, and what would be a fair price to bid on them.

As there is no reserve on the auction, so like I said itís going to sell no matter what is bid, but if I were to buy them and sell off the ones I didnít want or need I sure wouldnít want to lose money, and get back what I paid for them for, but I guess that would just be a gamble to take maybe.

Problem is, Iíve looked around and havenít been able to find any kind of price guide or a set range in value for such items. :mad:

Anyone know of a web based site that can help in this matter?lol

Thanks again,

Tony

evenflow
06-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Well I see a blue Snag in there as well as a bunch of POTF figures and it looks like a Blue saber Jedi Luke, right now its at an awesome price. Dont be afraid to bid if you have the money.

LusiferSam
06-21-2005, 09:05 PM
If the lot includes any of the POTF2 figures (especially any of the really pricey ones - Yak Face for example) can really generate a lot of interest in an auction like this, as can condition and completeness of the lot.
I assume that you really meant POTF and not POTF2, right? After all a POTF2 Yak Face (or what ever stupid name they called him) is down right worthless next to a POTF Yak Face. ;)

tjzzz72, I don't really have any recommendations on price guides, just advice. The true price of any item is what you're willing to pay for it. So in that light I think price guides are worthless. Watching eBay (or other auction sites) and seeing what similar items are going I think is the best way to gage the price. But again it all comes down to what your willing to pay.

As for the auction you've highlighted, I'd say that I wouldn't buy a big lot like that. One, it's more money than I want to spend on SW figures at one time. And two it takes some the fun out of the hunt. But it looks like the seller is a good one and he knows what he is talking about (very important). What few figures I can see look good. I'd want more photos, one of every figure and of better quality. A picture is worth a thousand words. And one final thought is: if you win this, your going to have to spend a lot of time checking the accessories to see if they are real, repros or a mix of both.

JON9000
06-21-2005, 09:15 PM
That auction will go high. It has practically just started. I'd be willing to bet it goes to $700.

In other news, I won a Darth Vader and the AT-At driver- this has been a busy week. I am starting to have to consider what I would like to display them in!

Slicker
06-22-2005, 01:50 AM
There are some toughies in there (i.e. Amanaman and Luke Stormie) I'd bid right now but if it gets much higher I'd let it go. You'll always be able to find these at a cheaper price.

JON9000
06-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Just got Ackbar in the mail today. I actually never had an Ackbar, so this one was a little bit outside of my original plan... but he is in great condition with a weapon that actually bends so I am sure it is legit. :D

JON9000
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Got Vader in the mail the other day! I really lucked out on this one... I got him for $16 and he really is in super condition. I am starting to run out of room on the little shelf I use to display my figures!!!

JON9000
07-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I've been busy lately getting more weapons to complete my figures- I got a cane for the Emperor, a bowcaster for Chewie, a staff for Bib, and a blaster for Stormie. These four guys are now sitting on a shelf with my other completed figures. The total now stands at 35. :D

Interesting note, I have a three extra Dengar/Snowtrooper rifles now, so if anybody wants one for free, just pm me. :)

JON9000
08-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Coming in the mail this week is:

Yoda
Han Solo
Bossk
ANH Threepio

I don't have any of these yet, although I had them as a kid. All are complete and look to be in good condition. The little shelf I have my guys on is starting to get too small! I am keeping my eyes open for something better to display them on!

Once these guys get here, I will have 39 unique, complete figures!!

Slicker
08-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Nice pick ups JON9K. I'm sure you've said earlier in the thread but how do you go about getting most of your vintage figs? And how much did you pay for your latest finds?

sjd9299
08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Jon9000, I have over 300 vintage figures on display. I best way I have found is by putting up those metal brackets the hold the coners of drywall together. They were 8 feet long each and relatively cheap. I just screwed them to the wall and set the figures up there. I use the sticky poster stuff on their feet so that they do not fall off. This way also alows you to see each figure individually instead of all bunched together on a shelf. Although I do have some displayed that way aswell.

JON9000
08-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm trying to visualize that one, sjd.

Slick, all my purchases have been through ebay, and jjreason hooked me up with a Lando cape.

I started with 8 complete figures, and about 45 figures with missing accessories. My goal was to get accessories to complete all of my old figures, and get the figures I had when I was a kid but lost at some point.

As it stands, I now have 35 complete figures, 39 when these next ones come in the mail. I have 12 figures that still need accessories. I need 2 blue Han blasters, 1 black Han blaster, the weapons for 2-1B, Madine, Nikto, Nien Nunb, a yellow lightsaber, a black and a blue leia Blaster, a white Leia cape, and Logray's head dress. And Klaatu's fuzzy skirt!

So I still have plenty to do.

This last batch cost around $35, but I knew a complete Yoda would set me back a few bucks.

jjreason
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, the stoppage of new ROTS figures coming to my area has rekindled my interest in plumping up my vintage collection. I'm in negotiations right now to buy 18 vintage figures (all apparently c9 or better, and the pics would bear that out) for $130US. The seller is also going to include a complete vintage Jabba set! I'm going to try and edit in an attachment to a pic of the figures..... there will be a few extras that I don't need. I'm thinking of using the new SSG Auctions system to get rid of them.

Slicker
08-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Just picked up another carded vintage figure and like the rest of mine it's from ROTJ. It's a 65 back Squidhead that's in fairly decent shape. Here's pics and a description from Ebay. Link. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=5992939877)

JON9000
08-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Nice clear bubble there. I got my Han, Yoda and Bossk. All three are really nice looking. I also bought a couple of blue Han blasters to complete hoth han and bespin Luke. they should arrive next week!

Slicker
08-22-2005, 05:31 AM
It's not too bad looking but after I won it I actually read the description and it's got a major crease on the right side of it. Maybe I should start reading about what I'm paying for instead of just running on automatic.:yes:

inkedforlife
09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I just wanted to give you guys all a little (almost unbelievable) news about vintage figures. I met this old guy a few weeks ago that is big into collecting almost everything. He has been at it for over 40 years and invites collectors out to his house all the time. Well I took him up on an invitation the other day and since then my heart has been aching. This guy had 30 full cases of vintage figures from 1977 thru 1983. Every figure he has had only been even touched a couple times then stored away. He pulled out a few for me to see and since then I have been hoping for the lottery every day.
Just thought I would let you all know so your wallets can scream like mine has been now. He said he is willing to sell some if the price is right. $$$$$$

JON9000
09-19-2005, 05:50 PM
I hope he has insurance. Today I picked up some really sweet looking figures that had been in storage for twenty years. Three of them I already have:

White Bespin Guard
Bespin Luke
Hoth Rebel Soldier

I got these because my Bespin guard and Bespin luke had obviously had paint reapplied to them, and I hate that. The Hoth rebel soldier is cool because mine is really beat up, and this particualr soldier came with a blue han blaster which i can use to complete my bespin luke. I already have a few extra bespin blasters i can use to hook up the hoth soldier! See how it all works out?

I also got a:

Black Bespin Guard
IG-88
Hoth Rebel Commander

I have to say I am really pleased with the Bespin Guards, they are pretty tough to find with all of the gold still on their uniforms and their hat fronts unworn. Another thing- all six only set me back $20 including shipping!

jjreason
10-12-2005, 03:16 AM
Well I finally got that big box that I had posted about a few weeks ago, and man was it worth the wait! Because of the delay, the fella I dealt with threw in 3 extra figures - all of whom I needed (Gammorean, ATAT Commander and Wicket, minus his spear - if you've got a spare please PM me)! I also got the Jabba set, but the pipe is gone, and Salacious Crumb's nose is quite worn looking. I must say though, 21 figs and a Jabba set for $180 CDN is very worth it.

I do have a dilemma though, what to do with my extra Walrus Man, Hammerhead, Greedo and Yoda (orange snake) figs. Any trade offers would be appreciated!

Lazer Brain
10-20-2005, 02:48 PM
hey, i am autioning off a pipe on ebay right now for .99 with a liea boussh rifle, 6006525832 is the no , please look at the other stuff i am getting rid of all cheap.
later

jjreason
10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
So how are you guys doing? Heres my current status, fig by fig. Please note the list encompasses only what I'm looking to get.

JJ's List of Wants

ANH

Luke Skywalker
Stormtrooper
Death Star Droid
Black Leia Blaster

ESB

Han Hoth
Luke Hoth
Han Bespin
Luke Bespin
Leia Bespin
Bespin Guard
Bespin Guard 2
TIE Pilot
Snowtrooper
Bossk
Zuckuss
4LOM
IG88
C3PO Removable
R2D2 Sensor Scope

ROJ

Bib Fortuna
Ree Yees
Lando Skiff
Weequay
Emp. Royal Guard
Chief Chirpa
Luke Jedi
Leia Boushh
Squid Head
Klaatu
Gen. Madine
Nien Nunb
Endor Rebel Trooper
Biker Scout
Adm. Ackbar
Nikto
Klaatu Skiff
Han Endor
Teebo
ATST Driver
Prune Face
Endor Leia
Wicket's Spear

Max Rebo Band

I still also need the last 17, but wasn't collecting as a kid when they came out. I'll pursue them, but only on a "too good to pass up deal" basis.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-24-2005, 10:36 PM
So how are you guys doing? Heres my current status, fig by fig. Please note the list encompasses only what I'm looking to get.

JJ's List of Wants

ANH

Luke Skywalker
Stormtrooper
etc.
etc.

I still also need the last 17, but wasn't collecting as a kid when they came out. I'll pursue them, but only on a "too good to pass up deal" basis.
Wow, that's a lot of the original 100 or so figs, jjr. Best of luck to you. Just out of curosity, what do you qualify as a "too good to pass up deal" basis?

jjreason
10-26-2005, 12:26 AM
It's kind of hard to pin down, BCJ. I guess if I was offered a final 17 figure for less than $20 with shipping, I'd have a hard time refusing. I DO still need a lot, but I haven't been collecting them (again) for a year yet, and I've paid WELL under $10 a figure to this point. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM
It's kind of hard to pin down, BCJ. I guess if I was offered a final 17 figure for less than $20 with shipping, I'd have a hard time refusing. I DO still need a lot, but I haven't been collecting them (again) for a year yet, and I've paid WELL under $10 a figure to this point. :thumbsup:That's great! Don't shell out money if it's outside your desires. When I finished my set, at the end I paid about $20-30 per fig, with the highest as $69 for Yak Face and $95 for Carbonite Han. Prior to that, it was around $10-20 each. I've heard the under-$20 figure is hard to locate, but it's worth it if you're patient enough to wait.

Lazer Brain
11-07-2005, 09:32 AM
well, i scored some much needed weapons this weekend. still need some leia blasters and cloud car pilot gear/blasters but for the most part all my figures are complete. so still looking for a yak face ,imperial dignatary,and awing pilot. Isaw a YAK this weekend for $180 he was nice and clean/tight and with weapon, the dealer said he might part with it for 120, but i am still scared... the only thing about ebay is you don't know the actual condition to you see it yourself, this one was nice. i might have to get it.
later

trandoshan666
11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
well, i scored some much needed weapons this weekend. still need some leia blasters and cloud car pilot gear/blasters but for the most part all my figures are complete. so still looking for a yak face ,imperial dignatary,and awing pilot. Isaw a YAK this weekend for $180 he was nice and clean/tight and with weapon, the dealer said he might part with it for 120, but i am still scared... the only thing about ebay is you don't know the actual condition to you see it yourself, this one was nice. i might have to get it.
later

I was going to ask you if you ended up getting that ó you're right, it was an excellent specimen. Actually, it was the best one I've ever seen, but was still too rich for my blood.

Ramy
11-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Where is Jon9000? He hasn't posted anything in this thread in almost 2 months. If anyone needs any accessories/weapons or pieces to playsets PM me and I will send you a list of what I have and what I need.

I have all but 9 of the original figures and most of them are complete.

JON9000
11-10-2005, 02:42 PM
It's been awhile since I bought anything. I purchased an ANH Leia yesterday and I plan on getting Boussch from the same seller to cut down on shipping. I promised I would post what I still need as well as any extras I have...

extra weapons:
Snowtrooper / Dengar Rifle
Snowtrooper Skirt (has a worn patch)
Tie Pilot / CC Pilot gun
Nien Numb Blaster
Stormtrooper blaster
Chirpa headdress
biker scout pistol
Hoth Luke Rifle
Klaatu Skiff staff
Weequay staff

Extra complete Figures:
Hammerhead
Imperial Officer
Dengar

Extra Naked:
Bespin Luke
Bespin Leia
Yoda
Gammorrean Guard
Old Ben
Vader

Needs:
ANH Luke Saber with tip
Leia blaster blue
Leia blaster black
Han Blaster Blue
Klaatu Palace Skirt
Nikto staff
Madine Staff
21-b staff
Logray Headdress

Need Figures:
DS Commander
Jawa
Sandpeople
Snagglestooth
Walrus Man
r5-d4
ATAT commander
hoth Luke
CloudCar Pilot
4-Lom
Tie Pilot
Royal Guard
and every post 1984 figure other than the Emperor.

jjreason
11-11-2005, 03:51 AM
JON, I have an extra blue Han blaster.... but could use that to complete your extra Bespin Luke figure that you have the saber for. The extra stuff I have right now is as follows:

1 grey Squid Head blaster
1 blue Han Solo type blaster
1 complete Yoda figure (orange snake, whole figure is very nice)
1 complete Hammerhead figure (quite nice)
1 complete Greedo figure (quite nice)
1 complete Walrusman figure (quite nice)

If anyone can use this stuff (or better yet, could help me out by making a trade for stuff I need), please PM me.

JON9000
11-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks to a trade with Ramy (a royal guard staff and a Nikto staff) and the largess of jjreason hooking me up with a blue blaster (that's how he rolls) and couple of auctions in which I aquired an ANH Leia, a Boussh, a royal guard, a Madine staff, a 2-1b staff, and a Gammorrean guard axe, I have completed eight figures, 7 of which are unique in my collection (I have 2 complete Gammorean guards now!)

This brings my total number of unique figures to well over 50 figures. not too bad, considering I started with 8 complete figures 9 months ago!

Lazer Brain
11-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Well trando... i went all out and got that Yak Face loose complete this weekend! he is in excellent shape, i paid $160,,,ouch. but the way i figure it, they sell on ebay between 90 and 130 all day long, but you do not get to see it and really check its quality, then you have to pay shipping and wait. so i its realy a clean figure and it looks great with all his buddies!now all i need is A wing pilot and Imerperial Digintary.
jon9000 what is "unique" about your figures???
later

JON9000
11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I have a total number of figures that includes duplicates. I say "unique" simply to indicate that I do not own that particular figure already. It's getting harder and harder to buy figures sold in groups, so these days I usually just buy several from the same seller to cut down on the shipping

Ramy
11-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks to a trade with Ramy (a royal guard staff and a Nikto staff) and the largess of jjreason hooking me up with a blue blaster (that's how he rolls) and couple of auctions in which I aquired an ANH Leia, a Boussh, a royal guard, a Madine staff, a 2-1b staff, and a Gammorrean guard axe, I have completed eight figures, 7 of which are unique in my collection (I have 2 complete Gammorean guards now!)

This brings my total number of unique figures to well over 50 figures. not too bad, considering I started with 8 complete figures 9 months ago!

Thanks Jon9000 for the Luke Bespin saber and the Zuckuss gun. I now only need 8 accessories or so to complete the rest of my figures and that will leave me missing only 5 figures total to get all the originals.

Lazer Brain
11-24-2005, 10:33 AM
ok, so i am trying to complete my collection of vintage figures loose, which i almost have all of the last potf. But, should i include the droids and ewok figures too? or just worry about the main line?i do have 3 droids figures loose including c3po.
later

Slicker
11-24-2005, 11:01 AM
But, should i include the droids and ewok figures too? I'm tryin' to collect the vintage figs carded and I'm not even worryin' about the Droids and Ewoks ones. If I happen to see one of them on the cheap I'll throw a bid that way but I don't even search for them. To me they don't really count as vintage figs. Only the original 92 do.:thumbsup:

Jayspawn
11-24-2005, 11:30 AM
I dont count Droids and Ewoks figures as part of the Vintage line. They are vintage but are seperate. I'd concentrate on the primary Vintage line 1st.

LusiferSam
11-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm tryin' to collect the vintage figs carded and I'm not even worryin' about the Droids and Ewoks ones. If I happen to see one of them on the cheap I'll throw a bid that way but I don't even search for them. To me they don't really count as vintage figs. Only the original 92 do.:thumbsup:
Slicker, your count is off! For shame. There's 96 carded figures (not counting Droids or Ewoks) plus Sy and the gang (and plus Blue if he's not variation in your book).

I personally wouldn't bother with the Droids or Ewoks lines. Like Jayspawn said they're vintage, but not really part of the main line. I think it comes down to weather you like them or not. I don't like them, so I don't collect them.

Lazer Brain
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
cool , thanks. i scored the loose droids figures at the flea market for $1 apiece , so i could not pass that up. I scored the imperial dignatary this weekend,carded so i all i need is a a wing pilot and i should have all of the vintage figures loose/ one carded... he is my first true carded vintage.i hope i do not get the carded vintage bug,loose was tough enough.
later

trandoshan666
11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
OMG Lazer Brain, was that the flea market you told me about? I still haven't been there. Man, that's an awesome find.

Lazer Brain
11-29-2005, 04:54 PM
yes, at the time i did not realize that the droids figures were that hard to find.
ok , so now that i almost have all the vintage figures loose, maybe i should start a vintage carded collection??? anyone ave any they do not want?or where is the best price guide?
later

Slicker
11-30-2005, 09:25 AM
anyone ave any they do not want?I've got an extra ROTJ Klaatu Skiff Guard that has seen much better days but it would be a start.

JON9000
12-03-2005, 04:57 PM
My latest addition is the Biker Scout. More than halfway home!

In other news, man, there was a really nice auction going on for a couple of vintage ESB carry cases, never opened with the sticker still on the back. I put in a bid before I went out, but somebody wanted it $.50 more than I did. Ah well....

Lazer Brain
12-03-2005, 10:05 PM
the circle is now complete... i think? except for some accesseries i have all the vintage figures loose/carded, the condition of some may be questionable, but hey its never really over.lol. With some help (thanks slicker) i will gander at starting a vintage carded collection, maybe lowball some filler figures and see what i catch.
thanks

JON9000
05-19-2006, 12:13 PM
As noted during the interregnum, Logray has now been fitted with a headdress and is now yet another complete figure!

Here is a cabinet my dad built with some of my figures:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/swcabinet.jpg

jjreason
05-19-2006, 11:33 PM
I did a count yesterday and am now up to 56, my favorites being the few I have now that I didn't have as a kid.

JON9000
05-21-2006, 07:34 PM
We are almost dead even!

Jayspawn
05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Yesterday I recieved X-Wing Luke and Wicket! And...

the rifle to Pruneface, and that completes him! Woohoo! He was one of those bare figures where I had to track down the accesories.

Lazer Brain
05-31-2006, 10:41 AM
jon9000 the case looks great. i got i liea blater during 'down' time.
later

JON9000
12-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Well, it's been awhile, but I was up late last night so I did a little trolling and got a complete Klaatu palace and complete 4-LOM for about $11 including shipping. Not too bad. I have a palace Klaatu already, but I got sick of searching for a skirt for him.

sjd9299
12-06-2006, 09:14 PM
As noted during the interregnum, Logray has now been fitted with a headdress and is now yet another complete figure!

Here is a cabinet my dad built with some of my figures:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/swcabinet.jpg

It says page not found.

I am working on my toy room right now, I will post pictures when is done. I know, its like waiting for Christmas.

Jayspawn
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Woohoo! I was finally able to score an Endor Luke, complete for $35 shipped. I also bid on several Ewoks from the same seller but they ended for WAY more than I bid. And I didnt bid low either.

Those last Ewoks are gonna be a pain to track down.

JON9000
12-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Eventually I'm going to get to figures I'm not all that interested in relative to their expense. Those are going to be tough to pull down!

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Dang, just did a count and I only have 10 to go, and what do you know, 9 of the 10 are POFT. Not too bad, the only really spendy one left is Yak Face, then its down to Amanaman and the likes. Just picked up Pop up R2, Barada, Luke Stormie, and Lando General. Soooooo close.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Picked up another Luke Stormie, and also got Han Carbonite and A-Wing Pilot.

Heres what I need

EV-9D9
Dignitary
Amanaman
Yak Face
Warok
Paploo
Romba

Also, check out this Boushh thats on its way. Possibly an unpainted helmet variation. Well see when it gets here though....

Slicker
12-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Dang, RG. It must be nice to have an extra Luke Stormie. Those things go for a pretty penny from what I've seen.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Eh, Ill probably just sell it so I can finish off my set. It came out to only cost $50......who would pass that up?:lipsrsealed:

Dark Marble
12-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I am really excited because I have decided to start a collection of vintage figures. I never thought I would do it but the lure has been really strong for the last few years. Starting in January I will try to collect at least one figure a month until I have them all. It should be an interesting ride!

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-16-2006, 08:54 PM
What luck! I was just adding a few new figures to my vintage display case and I just noticed that my Biker Scout has the short mouth peice. Now I guess I have a Lili Ledy figure.:)

sjd9299
12-16-2006, 10:32 PM
I have been slowly setting up my toy room. I just finished setting up my Vinatge figures. Pictures of the rest of the room to come soon, I hope.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/Toyhunter80s/100_1310.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/Toyhunter80s/100_1311.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/Toyhunter80s/100_1247.jpg

Slicker
12-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Holy, geez!!

Definitely a damn fine looking vintage collection!!!

In the 3rd picture are those MISB 12" vintage our just the boxes?

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Man thats awesome. Judging by the rest of the collectiom Im sure they are MISB.......What kind of shelving is that that you used for your loos figures?

Old Fossil
12-17-2006, 11:09 AM
That's definitely one of the nicest, most organized Vintage collections I've ever seen.

sjd9299
12-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Holy, geez!!

Definitely a damn fine looking vintage collection!!!

In the 3rd picture are those MISB 12" vintage our just the boxes?

Just the boxes. I do not like MISB stuff. I want to see and sometimes play with the toy. I also do not like mint stuff that much. I prefer that my toys looked played with as that means that someone loved it as much I loved mine.

sjd9299
12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Man thats awesome. Judging by the rest of the collectiom Im sure they are MISB.......What kind of shelving is that that you used for your loos figures?

Sorry, just empty boxes. The shelving is one of the cheapest and best ideas I have ever had. It is the metal corner stuff for dry wall. I get it in 8 foot sections at the hardware store for only a few dollars. Perfect for standing figures on. The best part is you can cut them to fit any space. Much eaiser than tring to find a shelf that will fit. You could do them like mine or all the way around the top of a room.

sjd9299
12-17-2006, 08:17 PM
That's definitely one of the nicest, most organized Vintage collections I've ever seen.

Wait until you see the rest of it. Those pictures are only of one wall of my toy room. 3 more to go. More picture as I finish. Should be done over Christmas break.

Dark Marble
12-18-2006, 10:36 AM
I can't wait to see more! I am really looking forward to starting my collection. I am starting to remember the figures I had when I was young and the stuff my friends and I would play with and trade. This is really going to be cool. Great collection!!

JON9000
01-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks to General Grievous hooking me up with a blue Leia blaster, I'm now up to 55 figures! This is especially awesome as my dad and I built a 10x10 space rack to hold 100 figures. Individual spaces are 5x3.5 inches. The overall rack measures about 55 inches tall by 40 inches wide. I just need to sand it and apply stain, and she'll be ready to go. I'll definitely put up a picture when she's done!

JON9000
01-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Ahh, a nice round number...

Today I got a

R5-D4,
Endor Leia,
AT-ST Driver, and
8D8.

R5 is a little less than perfect, but the 3 from Jedi are dead mint figures. It really doesn't feel as though I still have 30-odd figures to go, but I continue to whittle away...

Rebo's_Guitarist
01-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks to Bill (vader121) I got Paploo and Romba today, lookin mighty fine. I need to complete 26 figures (some only weapons) to have my full set.

JON9000
01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Today, the TIE PILOT and WALRUSMAN came. Both are in really great shape, but Wally is dead perfect.

:D

JON9000
01-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Yesterday I received

HOTH LEIA
DEATH SQUAD TROOPER

both in excellent condition!

sjd9299
02-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Its finally done! The Toy Room is finally presentable. Here is the link to my web site. Click on the Toy Room link to see the toys. Be sure to explore the rest of my site.

http://www.jamestownpublicschools.org/washington/faculty/sdinapoli/about%20me%20toy%20collecting.htm

JON9000
02-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Holy smokes that's a bunch of toys! I can only guess what all that stuff is worth!

In the meantime, I recieved my latest purchase over the weekend. Contained within were the materials needed to complete 4-5 figures:

Blue Snaggletooth
Sandpeople
Jawa
ANH Luke

I also got an original R2, but he's in rough shape so I'm not sure I wanna count him... although I would be finished with the first 22 if I did...

I also have a Small Head Han now. I cannot decide whether I like him with the small head or the big head more...

I also now have a rope for my Death Star.

The rest of the case included about ten more figures which are now duplicates in my collection.

Unless I come across a deal too good to be true, I'm going to make my next figures the Cloud Car Pilot and Hoth Luke to close out what I need from ESB.

I've made a lot of progress, and I am rapidly now closing in on needing only the last 17 (which will cost me at least $500 more bucks)!

JON9000
02-10-2007, 07:47 AM
I got Endor Han yesterday, complete in a sealed baggie ($15), which I immediately unsealed and put on the shelf. I got him sealed to make sure he came with the proper blaster, which is unique to this figure.

LusiferSam
02-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I have a really odd favor to ask JON. Would you mind shining a bright light through your Endor Han blaster and tell me what color comes through. I'm very curious about this and because you now have a true black blaster could ask this question for me. A brightly lit window won't shine through the blue-black blaster, so that won't work. I find a bright flash light will shine through most of the gun accessories.

JON9000
02-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a really odd favor to ask JON. Would you mind shining a bright light through your Endor Han blaster and tell me what color comes through. I'm very curious about this and because you now have a true black blaster could ask this question for me. A brightly lit window won't shine through the blue-black blaster, so that won't work. I find a bright flash light will shine through most of the gun accessories.

Sam, the blaster appears to be completely opaque. I cannot be sure because the intensity of the light makes it difficult to look directly into. Beyond that, it is flat black and is pretty easily distinguishable next to all other blasters of this type when compared side-by-side, if you are trying to determine whether you have a legit Endor Han blaster. Of course, I 'd be willing to bet that 90% of loose Endor Hans for sale come with a more standard blaster, if for no other reason than only real collectors even know the difference.

That's why I bit the bullet and jumped on a buyitnow of $19 incl. shipping for a baggied Han I could open. It sounds like a lot, but considering people buy 2 VOTC figs, one to open and one to keep on card, I didn't feel badly at all.

Here's a weird tidbit: I had to spit shine Han's boots. Being sealed for so long, some of the plastic migrated from the baggie to the boots, but it was nothing to restore their shine!

LusiferSam
02-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey JON, thanks for checking that for me. I've got two black Han blasters, but have never been 100% sure on them. Both are the same color as Jedi Luke's gun or Nien Numb's gun. And easily distinguishable from those that are the same color as the Jawa's gun or Princess Leia original blaster. But I've made the observation that all the Han blasters I have are transparent when I shine I bright light through them, but the accessories that are truly black are all opaque. This gives me some food for thought. :sur:

sjd9299
02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey JON, thanks for checking that for me. I've got two black Han blasters, but have never been 100% sure on them. Both are the same color as Jedi Luke's gun or Nien Numb's gun.

Jedi Luke has a grey gun.

LusiferSam
02-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Jedi Luke has a grey gun.

I just remembered that. I was thinking of Endor Luke's gun (or General Lando's).

jjreason
02-17-2007, 08:38 AM
I won 4 ebay auctions for vintage figures (from the same seller) including Skiff Lando. Sadly, I already had Skiff Lando (obviously not observant, he's up on display in my room right now).

If anyone needs Skiff Lando, I'll have another complete near-mint one soon. :)

Oh, the other figures I won were Anakin, Klaatu and Bossk which will bring my collection up to 74 (after a quick count, I could be wrong) - two higher than my original childhood collection! A few things are different now, though.

Figures I didn't have then, but have (or will have) now:

Klaatu Skiff
B-Wing Pilot
Endor Leia
8D8
Anakin Skywalker
Prunce Face
Nikto
Rancor Keeper

Figures I don't have now, but had back then:

Bespin Luke
Bespin Han
Bespin Leia

Weequay
ATST Driver
Endor Han

mabudonicus
02-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Why'd ya go and win Bossk JJ?? Mine not good enough for ya ;) ???

(TOLD ya you should have taken him when ya were here, but Skiff Lando didn't do you any favours either...)
:beard: Isobaws&

jjreason
02-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Dammit, I KNEW you'd see that post and take me to task on this!!!!! :upset:

I got him as a toss-in to save on shipping, he's supposed to be "mint", but we'll see. Your Bossk is plenty good enough Mabs - he's just not at my house!!!! lol

Rebo's_Guitarist
02-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Warok is in the bag, and at far less than I was expecting to pay for him. All thats left is the Dignitary and ol' Yak Face. If anyone can help me out lmk.

jjreason
02-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Got half my new figures today: Klaatu, Bespin Guard and Snowtrooper. 3 more en route.

Anyone else remember having trouble finding a nice Caucasian Bespin Guard? This one is fine with the gold, but it has a minor fleck off the skin of one hand, and oddly - a tiny fleck of dark blue off the very front of his cap bill. I'm not sure why, but this second flaw really draws my attention.

JON9000
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
a tiny fleck of dark blue off the very front of his cap bill. I'm not sure why, but this second flaw really draws my attention.

Man, I HATE that sort of flaw- front of a hat or helmet. I suspect it is because it is on the front of the head which we instinctually look at and is often a very bright spot on an otherwise dark background. The Death Squad Commander also has this problem.

for the BG- that gold stuff is like the gold on bespin Leia or the silver on Snaggs boots- look at it wrong and it comes off! Must be the nature of metallic paint... the good news is that a carded BG can be had cheaply if you really want a minty fig to open up (blasphemy).

jjreason
02-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Jon. I've just posted him slightly behind his dark skinned counterpart, and I don't even see the flaw due to the shadow. :smoker:

Dark Marble
03-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Hey everyone, I have finally started a vintage collection and can anyone tell me where there favorite places to go for figures are. I am collecting loose and have been skimming ebay mostly. But I am looking for other places to buy.

sjd9299
03-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey everyone, I have finally started a vintage collection and can anyone tell me where there favorite places to go for figures are. I am collecting loose and have been skimming ebay mostly. But I am looking for other places to buy.

I have bought off Ebay. But I like to buy form an actual store where I can see and touch the figure before I buy. There is an old toy shop here that I go to about once a week.

Dark Marble
03-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I completely agree. I would like to have the ability to look at things before I buy. But shops of that nature seem to be scarce around here in Colorado, for old toys anyway...

JON9000
03-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Try your local Flea Market or better yet, use craigslist.com if you are in one of the listed cities. the one here had an ad for 50 or so Vintage complete well kept figures at $5 each. Amannaman was one of them!

jjreason
04-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Slowly getting there. Today I added Han - Endor, Weequay and ATST Driver to my collection, as well as a near-complete Jabba's Band set (missing only Droopy's flute). I also managed to snag a black Leia pistol (with a battered old Leia figure, total $10) and a new ANH Luke lightsaber for my existing figures.

Wicket's spear eludes me still. :upset:

I have Bossk, Anakin and Klaatu (Skiff guard) waiting for me at my brother's place in the US, meaning I only need Bespin Luke, Leia and Han (weird eh?) and I'll be down to just needing 16 figures (all, of course, from the POTF era).

JON9000
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Wicket's spear eludes me still.

That will be a difficult item to track down alone. It doesn't help that
ewok spears look a lot alike.

jjreason
04-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I hear you - Warok's is essentially exactly the same - but you'd think his would be slightly more expensive (if someone could actually tell them apart).

I saw one on ebay for $3, but I'm guessing what I'll likely do is wind up buying another complete figure down the road, and passing my current one on to my kids' collection.

JON9000
04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
With an assist from Dark Marble, I now have a complete Cloud Car Pilot. I only need Hoth Luke now to have a complete set of ESB figures!

:thumbsup:

Dark Marble
04-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Awesome, glad it made it to you!! I have a question for everyone here. I have an R2-D2 and an R5-D4 that are in great condition. They are pretty clean and white and the paint looks good. However, both of their body decals are kind of yellow. Now that I am getting a collection started should I be picky about this? Should I hunt for something with clearer decals or is this pretty standard? So far I am being very picky, but age does take its toll...

LusiferSam
04-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Awesome, glad it made it to you!! I have a question for everyone here. I have an R2-D2 and an R5-D4 that are in great condition. They are pretty clean and white and the paint looks good. However, both of their body decals are kind of yellow. Now that I am getting a collection started should I be picky about this? Should I hunt for something with clearer decals or is this pretty standard? So far I am being very picky, but age does take its toll...

Unless you want to take these figures off a card yellowed and/or dirty stickers on the R2 units are pretty standard. That's not to said you wouldn't able to find a clear sticker if you look long enough. But you need to remember that every time somebody handles one of these toys their are likely touching the sticker. And every time that paper sticker is touched a little more dirt and oil deposited on it.

Dark Marble
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
And the trade is complete!! Just got my Han today from JON9000 and it looks great. I never had this one as a kid so I am kind of in awe!! :love: Thanks for the insight Sam, I am not going to try to hard to replace my two droids. I was thinking the same thing about the yellowing.

JON9000
04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Unless you want to take these figures off a card yellowed and/or dirty stickers on the R2 units are pretty standard.

Yeah, yellowed stickers are sadly standard fare. If you want a pretty one to display, you could put a repro sticker on a R2 missing its original sticker.

Glad the trade worked out!

JON9000
04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
and I'll be down to just needing 16 figures (all, of course, from the POTF era).

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be in almost the exact same situation! I am in the works or have only to receive:

Hoth Luke
Hoth Han
At-At Commander
Klaatu Skiff
B-wing Pilot
Pruneface
Rancor Keeper
Teebo
Wicket

and

Lumat
Paploo
Stormtrooper Luke

vader121
04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey everyone,
I can help you out on figures you need as I have many dups. All except most of the POTF figures. Email me and we can probably deal. I have dealt with a few others before and it went very well so let me know your want lists and I can probably help you out.

jjreason
04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks! Maybe fire up a thread in the trading section so we can see what you've got.....

sjd9299
04-21-2007, 07:38 PM
I found a lot on a popular auction site, #320104131633, that has some vintage stuff in it. It looks like a parts lot but it seems cheap. Its got an EV-9D9 that only has a left leg, perfect if thats all your missing. An At-St only missing the gun on top and a few POTF coins. Plus other stuff. I didn't bid because I have all of it. Thought maybe it would help someone here.

JON9000
04-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Today my loose Klaatu Skiff Guard arrived. The next couple of weeks should take me over 80!

JON9000
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm continuing to fill some of the less notable figures missing from my collection... yesterday I received the AT-AT COMMANDER in the mail. He came complete with weapon (he was listed as loose with no weapon in the photo, so I got him for about $7 with shipping).

DarthQuack
04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Man Jon.....you're just cleaning up!

JON9000
04-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Today I received my B-wing Pilot and Rancor Keeper figures. The Rancor Keeper was MOC for $12 inc. shipping. Well, at least he was MOC!

Before:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/RancorKeeper.jpg

After:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/RancorKeeper2.jpg

Opening Mint on card figures makes me a little amped.

JON9000
04-27-2007, 05:16 PM
I received 4 more figures in the mail today... :love:

LUKE SKYWALKER STORMTROOPER

LUKE SKYWALKER HOTH

PAPLOO

TEEBO

Here is a picture of my new pretties:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/starwars.jpg

Only 19 figures to go, and two of them should arrive early next week, if not tomorrow!!

jjreason
04-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice Luketrooper Jon. My old one had much more distinct yellowing on the arms and legs than yours.... I remember being told "they're ALL like that" when I got mine - luckily that's not the case. I've recently gotten skunked on a couple of auctions for the Ewoks I'm missing - not sure why I'm focusing on them, but Warok, Romba and Paploo seem to have my attention these days.

My wife actually put up a new shelf for me, so that my vintys could be up off the ground (I never got around to bracketing up my old shelf). I have them all broken up into movies, with Jabba and his band sitting on top of the whole thing. It's right above my monitor, so I can always glance up and see them. They make me so much happier than the new stuff lately, I've given them the "place of honour". :)

JON9000
04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
We need a picture, man. My Luke is slightly yellow, but not too bad.

I also got Wicket mint on a cut POTF card to free for what a loose figure usually costs. I also got another blue Han blaster to complete Hoth Han.

Here is Wicket:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/starwars001.jpg

All I need to complete ANH is a run of the mill R2. I actually have one, but his sticker is so lousy I won't display him. He's riding shotgun in my vintage Y-wing. Other than that, I'm down to needing 15 of the last 17

JON9000
05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I got Han Solo in Carbonite today... beautiful figure! I always wanted this guy. I remember seeing him on the pegs back in the day, but by then, I had totally migrated to GI Joe.

jjreason
05-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Nice, Jon. That's a big-time figure! I imagine I'll slow down once they get that expensive (I'm assuming of course that you paid quite a bit for Han). I've only got a few more affordable ones left.

JON9000
05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Nice, Jon. That's a big-time figure! I imagine I'll slow down once they get that expensive (I'm assuming of course that you paid quite a bit for Han). I've only got a few more affordable ones left.

He's basically mint. He only cost me about $48 including shipping, which I thought was an excellent price. The seller had 0 feedback, so I took a chance. I wouldn't pay much more than $50 for a figure. I am trying to avoid ever paying more than that. Here, have a look: (!)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/hancarbonite.jpg

jjreason
05-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Dang, he's perfect! The head sculpt looks similar to (my favorite) Endor Han's, and the Carbo block is a bit see-through (which I didn't know)! Awesome!

sjd9299
05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
He's basically mint. He only cost me about $48 including shipping, which I thought was an excellent price. The seller had 0 feedback, so I took a chance. I wouldn't pay much more than $50 for a figure. I am trying to avoid ever paying more than that. Here, have a look: (!)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/JON9000/hancarbonite.jpg
Is the bubble on the cardback? Even if it is not, WOW that is a great score.

JON9000
05-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes, the bubble is (of course) opened, but still attached to the card. It is fairly easy to open POTF cards and remove the figure without completely removing the bubble. I removed a Wicket myself and was able to keep the coin sealed on the card!

JON9000
05-31-2007, 07:30 PM
I got Warok today MOC (on a beater card, so I could free him, of course)!

Only 14 to go and I will have the illustrious 97 (I count Blusnaggs)!

DarthQuack
05-31-2007, 08:27 PM
You better treat us to a nice picture of it all!

JON9000
06-06-2007, 03:23 PM
When I have it all together, I will certainly want to show the collection off!

Anyhow, my 84th loose figure is LUKE SKYWALKER in COMBAT PONCHO complete with POTF coin.

Rebo's_Guitarist
06-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Awaiting my Dignitary, finally. One more to go. I have it lined up I just need it to be Friday...:thumbsup:

JON9000
06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
trying to nab down those last few POTF figures is a pretty expensive proposition, isn't it?

DarthQuack
06-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Might have been a little much, but the card and bubble look great, and it was left over money from other auctions I sold, so not real money :)

My first purchase in the long walk towards getting a Vintage collection!

EDIT: Saw this auction as well...any thoughts to thinking it's worth since it's mostly MOC?

JON9000
06-13-2007, 05:06 PM

Might have been a little much, but the card and bubble look great, and it was left over money from other auctions I sold, so not real money :)

My first purchase in the long walk towards getting a Vintage collection!

EDIT: Saw this auction as well...any thoughts to thinking it's worth since it's mostly MOC?

Figures on cards that damaged are not worth a whole lot more than their loose counterparts. The Dignitary typically goes for around $40 loose, and folks usually pay a premium of about $10-$20 for the privilege of having a figure MOC on a non collector-grade card. Of course, the only reason I do it is to be sure I have the right weapon when I free them!

Man, collecting figures MOC is a very expensive proposition. I marvel at people able to put those collections together. I would rather have the BMW you could buy for that kind of money!

I think that figure is overpriced with the BIN, but only about $5 too much including shipping right at the opening bid.

DarthQuack
06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Oh I hear you with buying MOC, it's not something I'm looking to do either, I just had never bought one and it will probably be the only carded one I buy unless I see something really good that no one else has grabbed. I also want to have a loose collection of the vintage line just like you, so I am accepting all advice out there.

Rebo's_Guitarist
06-14-2007, 03:41 PM
My Dignitary arrived today, "nose-spot" free. Im so excited, I only have one left. Old Yaky is making his way over from Germany, I hope he gets here soon....:D

DarthQuack
06-20-2007, 03:01 PM
My tally is up to 5 so far...really good looking Squidhead on card, very mint.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/Quack34/first5vintage.jpg

DarthQuack
06-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Biker Scout ROTJ and B-Wing Pilot ROTJ both carded came in the mail yesterday and today....slowly approaching double digits!

JON9000
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Number 85 is Barada! He is in beautiful shape. I would have no problem listing him as "mint". He included his cardback and coin, all for $34.50, shipping included. I would have expected to pay $15 more than I did, so I am happy. Thank heavens for the seller with dodgy feedback!

Item number: 120129045504

DarthQuack
06-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Got my Han in trenchcoat today....decent card, card looks great under plastic.....he will be released when the rest of his buddies are with him.... :)

JON9000
06-26-2007, 08:13 PM
86 is Lumat, and I am expecting 87 this week also!

Rebo's_Guitarist
06-26-2007, 09:31 PM
JON your rounding 3rd, whats left?

DarthQuack
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
MOC Teebo ROTJ
MOC Logray ROTJ

Great cards, bubbles a little yellow, but the figures look great!

JON9000
06-27-2007, 08:36 PM
JON your rounding 3rd, whats left?

The Final Eleven figures I need are:

Imperial Gunner
Lando General
A-wing Pilot
Amanaman
Romba
EV-9D9
Yak Face
Anakin Skywalker
Imperial Dignitary
R2-D2 (pop up lightsaber)
R2-D2 (original ANH version) nice versions of this guy aren't growing on trees!

Ten figures, but easily $600 for the lot of them loose. :cry:

LusiferSam
06-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Just thinking about buying those POTF figures again makes my wallet hurt.

If I can make a quick recommendation, if you're going to brag about you're new figure purchases let's not be posting here and here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=26237). Reading the same post two different threads is pointless. Otherwise let's merge the threads.

DarthQuack
06-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Nikto arrived today on a beat up card, but will remain housed with his buddies. Taking a couple weeks off from buying unless I see a deal I would NEED to make. Vacation next week so need some dinero for that.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2007, 02:05 PM
If I can make a quick recommendation, if you're going to brag about you're new figure purchases let's not be posting here and here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=26237). Reading the same post two different threads is pointless. Otherwise let's merge the threads.As long as longer discussions of figures stay just here in this thread, I'd keep the two separate and un-merged. Let the "Vintage Purchases" thread focus on playsets, vehicles, etc.

jjreason
06-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I finally added 2 more figures to my shelf today - Bossk and Klaatu (Skiff).

My needs now look like this:

ANH - 21/21

ESB - 26/29 (Bespin Han, Bespin Luke and Bespin Leia needed)

ROJ - 32/32 (including the Rebo Band members)

POTF - 0/17 (though I'm supposed to have Anakin - it's still at my brother's place)

I have a very, very nice Lando Skiff guard, loose mint and complete, that I'd really like to trade for a similarly conditioned Bespin Han - any takers? :nerv:

JON9000
06-30-2007, 06:33 PM
A perfect Imperial Gunner!!! :thumbsup:

evenflow
07-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I have been thinking about starting a carded collection.

jjreason
07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
A perfect Imperial Gunner!!! :thumbsup:

Oooooh, aaaaaahhhhh! :)

Oooooooooh. Expensive. Good luck. :thumbsup:

JON9000
07-04-2007, 09:56 AM

How would you go about this? All figures on every card? All figures on debut cards? All figures on "offerless" cards (the way I would)? What would you start with?

bigbarada
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Good luck with that!:thumbsup: It'll take lots of patience, love and dedication... but most of all, money..... lots and lots of money.

jjreason
07-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I've considered trying to start a small carded collection a few times, but have held off so far. My initial wants would be one of each cardback (to see the progression of the collection), then I'd slowly pick away at the photos I really like (Snowtrooper, for example). I don't imagine I'd want a whole collection, but I'm scared to get started all the same.

sjd9299
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Just remember it is all about what makes you happy. I love Vintage carded figures. I have 52 right now. But none of them are mint and some are not even mint figures. I like how they display and do not care as much about condition. I have even recarded some my self. I bought a small collection of original cardbacks and bubbles and just put a figure in and glued it back together. So it is all about what is important to you. Mine all look great to me.

evenflow
07-08-2007, 09:03 AM
How would you go about this? All figures on every card? All figures on debut cards? All figures on "offerless" cards (the way I would)? What would you start with?

My guess is that I would just go for first releases on the cards. Not that it eliminates a huge amount but enough. Thanks for all the luck.

bigbarada
07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
My carded collection focuses mainly on ROTJ and POTF cards, since those are the ones that I remember seeing in stores the most (I was 4 when the Star Wars cards were out and I don't remember ever seeing an ESB card). So for me it's all about recreating childhood memories.

So 1984-1988 are the primary years that I am focusing on (I was seeing clearanced POTF figures at KB Toys stores all the way into 1988 - mostly just B-Wing Pilots though).

Even then, I have no aspirations to own every figure on those cards. For the most part, just the ones that I owned as a kid.

I also want a Droids carded A-Wing Pilot, just cuz I love the card artwork.

jjreason
07-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Just remember it is all about what makes you happy..... it is all about what is important to you. Mine all look great to me.

This is a GREAT point and I agree 100%.

JON9000
07-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks to Vader121 I now have:

Lando General
Imperial Dignitary
Anakin Skywalker

jjreason
07-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Congrats, Jon. What's going to happen to this thread when you reach maximum density? With any luck it will continue on..... :D

vader121
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM
In relation to Carded and cardbacks I have a good amount of carded figures (mostly ROTJ but have some ESB, 1 ANH, and several POTF). I don't envision myself ever getting a complete collection of each carded figure (one of each regardless if it's ROTJ, ESB, or whatever). Will get ones here and there when I can for fair prices.

I do have some cardbacks and would love to have all of them in decent condition. Do have a Boba Fett (ESB) one that i think is my coolest. These are harder to find than carded in some cases.

I also have Death Star Commander, R2, 8D8, and Rancor Keeper still in the bubble but removed from the card. Now getting a complete collection of these without removing them first from the card has got to be the hardest endeavor out there. On a related note, I saw one time on ebay a Vader case full of nothing but figures still in the bubbles. :thumbsup: It was awesome and had many great figures included. I don't remember what it went for but I'm sure it was a pretty penny.

evenflow
01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I need to pick up new Carded versions of Jord Dusat and Thall Joben.

DarthQuack
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I've fallen off this....but I plan to get back on the horse soon.

jjreason
01-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Man, seems like there hasn't been an entry in here for a LONG time. I'm still stuck after having gotten a vintage boxed Speeder Bike, nothing else vintage here for months. :upset:

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
I just got a vintage Endor Leia in the mail today and won a bid on a Romba last week, so I'm waiting for that. I've decided that I'm just going to focus on ROTJ and POTF for now, then work my way backwards.

I also bid on a Jabba the Hutt playset but it was missing the pipe, so I decided to bid on one of those Kenner bagged Salacious Crumb w/ Pipe & Bowl packs. Wouldn't you know it? I lose the bid on the Jabba, but win the Salacious Crumb pack.:upset: Oh well, at least now I can try to find a good deal on an incomplete Jabba playset.

jjreason
02-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Does it include the string/handcuff that attaches to the front of the playset? I'd like to upgrade my Crumb and get that piece that I'm missing.

EDITED: looks like it's in there - and I also need that little arm that attaches to the pipe bowl.

bigbarada
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Does it include the string/handcuff that attaches to the front of the playset? I'd like to upgrade my Crumb and get that piece that I'm missing.

EDITED: looks like it's in there - and I also need that little arm that attaches to the pipe bowl.

Yes it does actually. I don't need that part, so if you want I could just throw that in an envelope and mail it to you. But you'd still need a Salacious Crumb. Anyways, let me know by PM if you're interested and I can stick it in the mail tomorrow.

jjreason
02-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks Big B, I guess I was more looking at the item to see if I should get myself one of those baggies - I think that's what I'll do. Much obliged though. :thumbsup:

JON9000
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
just sealed a deal for 4 of the final six, in outstanding condition:

Romba
A-wing Pilot
Amanaman
EV-9D9 (straight legs!)

now all I need is Yak and R2 pop-up saber, which is likely to take awhile at $200 for the pair!

jjreason
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Congrats, I hope you're pleased with the price and the figures!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2008, 07:15 PM
just sealed a deal for 4 of the final six, in outstanding condition:

EV-9D9 (straight legs!)No such item exists; can't be true. Straight-legged EV is like a non-faked loose vinyl caped Jawa. :pleased:

jjreason
06-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Well Bespin Han FINALLY came to me after winning him on ebay months ago (had to wait for my brother to visit as the vendor wouldn't ship to Canada :frus: ).

Anyhoo, for a $20 figure (yep, you heard me correctly) he's not perfect (of course, it was an ebay deal, right?) but he'll occupy the spot until I can find a nicer one.

JON9000
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
No such item exists; can't be true. Straight-legged EV is like a non-faked loose vinyl caped Jawa. :pleased:

Actually, her legs do curl, but I have them separated with a piece of folded cardbord, and they stay that way for a few days if I take the cardboard out. I also fashioned a stand for her out of wire that slips around her waist, so her weight is not supported by the legs. :p

Necessity and her progeny!!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Bought another better condition loose Ackbar yesterday for $2, to complete the loose Ackbar staff I've had for the last 10+ years or so... :rolleyes:

JON9000
01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Ackbar seems to be one of those figures that keeps really well. I don't know if it is because the paint is minimal or because he doesn't have play value for kids.

Slicker
01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I've pretty much quit getting vintage...I've quit getting a lot of modern too. It's tough over here to stay up on it all.:cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I would have to say that AA was my first vintage figure in at least 5+ years. I have 'em all, except for some of the uber-expensive variants and a few that coul duse better condition (like AA was).

I actually was looking for a TOD Indy figure at that show, saw none, but got the SW stuff there.

DarthQuack
01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Jon, how's your completion coming? I haven't been around much, but remember you needing 2 more to complete it.

JON9000
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Jon, how's your completion coming? I haven't been around much, but remember you needing 2 more to complete it.

I'm still stuck on R2 with pop-up saber and Yak. I'm looking to get a cherry R2, which is pretty difficult unless you go MOC (and I would only tear open a real beater) or get something that has been graded. These only come around so often, and it would take a C-note to get the deal done, so I've been holding off.

I'm a bit more flexible with Yak.

I've also been working on a rack to hold all of my figures (100 slots), and that won't be finished until spring. But when that is Done, I know I'll want to knock the last two figures out!

vader121
01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I have many figures available for sale. All except some of the POTF.
Please email me if with your want lists and I will hook you up. I would like to thin out my collection a bit and also would like to help out some fellow collectors if I can.

needmore_niko
01-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I am interested in your vintage figures for sale. I am looking to buy some figures from ANH and ESB.

R2-D2
Stormtrooper
Chewbacca
Luke Skywalker
Boba Fett

Please email me at npergakes@hotmail.com if you have any of these for sale.

Thanks - Niko

JON9000
03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Picked up a R2 with pop-up saber. Yak is all that is left!

I may get the R2 from the Droid Factory...

DarthQuack
03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Congrats Jon! Quite accomplishment for you so far....looking forward to seeing all them together when you're finished.

Droid
03-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Picked up a R2 with pop-up saber. Yak is all that is left!

I may get the R2 from the Droid Factory...

I just got a really good R2 Droid Factory from ebay. I still need:

Blue Snaggletooth
EV-9D9
Imperial Gunner
R2 Pop Up Saber
Yak Face

JON9000
03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I just got a really good R2 Droid Factory from ebay. I still need:

Blue Snaggletooth
EV-9D9
Imperial Gunner
R2 Pop Up Saber
Yak Face

The old school droid factory was a truly cool toy, although I was too dumb at 5 years old to build anything decent. Another try would be pretty cool!

DarkArtist
04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
i still need a few from the POTF wave and a couple of the core characters like a decent "large head" Han, Lando Bespin and a couple of the Skiff Guards as well as a new R2-D2 (mine has the leg glued onto it).

sebillba
04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been getting a few variants lately... at the mo I'm on the look-out for a nice small head Han!

DarkArtist
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I've been getting a few variants lately... at the mo I'm on the look-out for a nice small head Han!

I have a couple of variants already (not really a huge fan but some are really different), I have 2 versions of Obi Wan (grey and white beards), small head Han (need Large Head), Luke Bespin (both brown and yellow hair), Luke Jedi (both blue and green lightsabers), Bespin Leia (turtle neck and crew neck), Yoda (both with brown and orange snake), early bird Chewie with green crossbow.

i would just be happy to have a complete set of the figures.

sebillba
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I've just won a very nice (hopefully!) small head Han... it was buy it now for £30, but I emailed the seller with an offer of £25, which he accepted, and also threw in free postage! So not cheap, but doesn't seem a bad price compared to others on ebay.

I'm not bothered about every minor variant (that could go on forever once you start!) but it's fun collecting some of the more major variants. Here's what I have so far:

Snaggletooth - blue and red (though I class these as completely different figures)
Greedo - light green / dark green
Han Solo - small / large head
Jawa - soft goods / vinyl cape (just a repro on this I'm afraid!)
Klaatu - thin / thick fur skirt
Luke Bespin - blond / brown hair
Luke Jedi - painted face / molded face (also with green / blue lightsabers)
Endor Rebel - painted / molded face
Hoth Rebel - painted / molded legs
Ugnaught - blue / purple / lilac aprons
Yoda - light green, orange snake, light brown cane / dark green, brown snake, dark brown cane

Now I've got Han coming, not sure what I'll go for next, maybe grey hair Ben, or brown hair farmboy Luke.... but whatever, it'll have to wait till I've had another pay day!

Dark Marble
04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I have just started looking at collecting vintage figures again. It is kind of a slow process and sometimes the rewards are few and far between, but it is somthing I try to come back to and stick with.

I was able to get a graded original farm boy Luke about a month ago for $45 shipped. It was awesome to finally get this iconic figure in my collection and I ran around like a 6 year old for about 2 days with it in hand.

My wife and kids really didn't understand this one, but as a kid when these figures were first out...well I know some of the old timers here will appreciate what it feels like to get this figure in your hands again.

I have a long way to go before I complete the collection, but I am hoping to stay motivated with it!!

bossk36
04-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Hi all
Looking through my stuff today and found these star wars figures from when i was a young lad.
All up 54 different characters ,unreal my mother bought theses for me after i had seen star wars at the picture threatre all those years ago.

sebillba
04-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Nice find! Wish I had all my childhood oiginals - the only one I managed to hang onto was Yoda. Are you going to finish off the set now?

Welcome to the forum btw. :)

bossk36
04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice find! Wish I had all my childhood oiginals - the only one I managed to hang onto was Yoda. Are you going to finish off the set now?

Welcome to the forum btw. :)

Yeah u r right it was a nice find to be honest i am not sure if i will finish the set off, sort of in to minds knowing that these r now 30 years old which if i am not mistaken they r now classed as a collectors item?and would be interesting to see how much they r worth?
Not to sure!
Thanks sebillba nice to be apart of this forum.

JON9000
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Look at the sweet bag of accessories!

TheDarthVader
05-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Look at that sweet flowery mouse pad! Oh...the figures are cool too.

DarthQuack
02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Any updates JON?

JON9000
02-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Nope... I've lost out on the last figure, Yak, in several auctions. The price must be right, Bob!

DarthQuack
02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Hooray Jon is still around!!!

Although sorry to hear that you didn't get that last figure yet :(

My count is at 11 right now. Just got all my figs from my Pop's house.....it'll be a nice slow process!

indyjones1981
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Any one need a carded POTF Anakin Skywalker to help complete there Kenner collection? If so and you want to drop some big cash and have deep pockets check this auction out on Ebay. Runs until Feb. 19. Here is the link hope it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-POWER-OF-THE-FORCE-Anakin-Skywalker_W0QQitemZ370333064276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5639921c54