PDA

View Full Version : Best EU books, part deux

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2001, 12:04 PM
Here's another Old Forums thread that should continue here:

http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=6&PID=4979

EU = Expanded Universe, i.e. the novels/comics/etc. after/before the films.

Lobito
08-23-2001, 11:19 AM
Shadows of the empire and Tales of the Jedi are my winners, i also liked the Enemy of the empire series.

QLD
08-24-2001, 08:37 AM
Gotta stick with the Original Thrawn trilogy.

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 11:18 AM
I was moving my SW reference books, and spent 30 minutes reading The Illustrated Star Wars Universe. That book is so awesome, and lays a lot of groundwork for the planets in the EU (and sorta the films, since some of it the written parts are based on Ralph McQuarrie's designs and ideas which were before the films, Joe Johnston's too).

JimJamBonds
02-20-2007, 09:56 AM
IMHO there is no such thing as "best EU" its all carp.

Slicker
02-20-2007, 12:35 PM
...except for SOTE...and some of the Tales from books.

2-1B
02-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Here's another Old Forums thread that should continue here:

http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=6&PID=4979

I can't get the link to work. :(

I liked the Han Solo Trilogy of books when I was a kid...those were cool.

I read the Thrawn Trilogy when it came out but I really fizzled out on that set by the third book. Overall, I have to say the Zahn Trilogy is overrated.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2007, 07:13 PM
I can't get the link to work. :(
Sadly, none of the links to the Old Forums live. It's like that old, weird Christopher Reeve movie where he gets stuck behind a heavy door in a sewer or something and pounds on it, with no luck.

I can't believe that I actually included a footnote so people would know what EU means... :rolleyes:

2-1B
02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Sadly, none of the links to the Old Forums live.

I remember during the changeover that there was talk of archiving some of the old forums...I don't know of anyone who has such an archive to share ? :(

Phantom-like Menace
02-21-2007, 12:43 AM
At the top of my list is the Thrawn Trilogy. I don't see how anyone can describe it as overrated. As much praise as I heap on those books I still don't feel I'm properly explaining how great they are.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the X-wing novels by Stackpole. Second to Zahn, he's the man.

Nothing else has been able to rise to the level of the above works.

I'm consistently surprised that SotE is so highly favored. I cite it as the least Star Wars of any of the EU novels I've ever read. While it had cool things like the Outrider and Guri, it also had less than cool things like that poor-man's Han Solo come red headed stepchild Dash Rendar. I like it for the video game and for the idea of Black Sun, but otherwise, some green dude wasn't bringing apples to Palpatine in an attempt to be the teacher's pet in my view of Star Wars. Plus, the line "many Bothans died" makes me think of more than--what was it--five or six? There were more than five or six Rebel troops dropped on Tantive IV in just the first hallway in Episode IV.

El Chuxter
02-21-2007, 09:28 AM
A giant green scaly alien with the ability to seduce any female lifeform was pretty stupid and un-SW, too.

Not to mention he was too one-sidedly evil, and not good enough at that to be interesting. I know of fewer moments in SW EU history more satisfying than Dash and Xizor both going out like punk b****es at the same time.

Rogue II
02-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the X-wing novels by Stackpole. Second to Zahn, he's the man.

Those X-Wing novels are what made me quit reading EU. I got to the 4th or 5th book and had enough.

***Lame Spoiler alert:***

Seriously, an upside down Super Star Destroyer on Coursaunt?

El Chuxter
02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
It was under Coruscant, foo.

Rogue II
02-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I will accept being called a fool, only because I finished reading that book.

Rocketboy
02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
At the top of my list is the Thrawn Trilogy. I don't see how anyone can describe it as overrated. As much praise as I heap on those books I still don't feel I'm properly explaining how great they are.

I'm consistently surprised that SotE is so highly favored. I cite it as the least Star Wars of any of the EU novels I've ever read. While it had cool things like the Outrider and Guri, it also had less than cool things like that poor-man's Han Solo come red headed stepchild Dash Rendar. I like it for the video game and for the idea of Black Sun, but otherwise, some green dude wasn't bringing apples to Palpatine in an attempt to be the teacher's pet in my view of Star Wars. Plus, the line "many Bothans died" makes me think of more than--what was it--five or six? There were more than five or six Rebel troops dropped on Tantive IV in just the first hallway in Episode IV.Wow, you're like bIZZARO rOCKETBOY (or I'm bIZZARO pHANTOM-lIKE mENACE). I have the exact opposite view.

DarkArtist
02-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd place my vote for the Thrawn Series as well as the Current Legacy of the Force Series.
Loved the X-Wing Novels and Shadows of the Empire was a great book as well.

Some of the Worst:

DarkSaber = Hutts make a Death Star Gun
Planet of Twlight

I have read every Star Wars Novel including the Kids novels like the infamous Glove of Darth Vader, Mission to Mount Yoda and others.

Phantom-like Menace
02-22-2007, 05:42 AM
Wow, you're like bIZZARO rOCKETBOY (or I'm bIZZARO pHANTOM-lIKE mENACE). I have the exact opposite view.

I'm certainly bizarre, so I'd assume I'm the bizarro version.

Mission to Mount Yoda

I always used to comment that he's a pretty small guy, so it shouldn't take a whole mission, but then I saw him fight in the prequels. I do love the English language.

Kidhuman
02-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Thrawn Trilogy
ShadowHunter
Darth Bane

pbarnard
02-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Cloak of Deceptoin
Agents of Chaos I and II
Rebel Stand and Rebel Dream
X-Wing Series
Thrawn Trilogy and Duology

IF SotE was so good, how come Steve Perry has not been asked to do another novel? Kevin J Anderson was the darling of the Bantam/Spectra novels, but that made them lose the series to Del Ray. The Fett Trilogy, Anderson edited books which include Planet of Twighlight, Children of the Jedi and his Dark Saber. Any book that used kidnap the Solo children after Crystal Star...

Rocketboy
02-24-2007, 08:36 PM
IF SotE was so good, how come Steve Perry has not been asked to do another novel?He co-wrote the Medstar novels.

As for any other major novels, I have no idea. He should though, IMO.

El Chuxter
02-24-2007, 09:38 PM
The Medstar novels were far better than SOTE.

He also wrote the Darth Maul e-book, IIRC. And the SOTE: Evolutions graphic novel.

pbarnard
02-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Ok, co-authoring. Seems to say they don't trust him well enough to be left to his own devices. Of course, I have my suspicons that KJA ghost wrote a lot of SotE too, which is why Dash Rendar is Han Lite akin to Kyp Duron is Luke Lite etc.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Okay, it's been a while (since I could, hold my head up high :Staind: ) since this topic's been discussed. There've been some new novels out, so I'll list (LISTS... :drool: ) my faves, divided by time period (OG novels = 1977-1983ish, New Revival = 1984ish-1996ish, and Since Then = 1997ish-present) and not considering the film novelizations/radio dramas/guides in the mix...

OG:
Splinter of the Mind's Eye
Entire Lando series
Entire Han series (Daley)

NR:
first Thrawn Trilogy
Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina
Tales From Jabba's Palace
Illustrated SW Universe
Courtship of PL
Shadows of the Empire
I, Jedi

ST:
other Han trilogy (Crispin)
Yoda: Rendevous
Aaron Alston's X-Wing books
Dark Lord: Rise of DV
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
first 6 Jedi Apprentices or so
Last of the Jedi #1
Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
Labyrinth of Evil
Death Star

Read these and you'll never say EU is bad again! :yes: Read some of the others not on the list, and I cannot guarantee such a claim. :eek: