PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Biggest Market

Jek Porky 2002
01-03-2002, 08:28 AM
I hope I phrased that right!

But who buys the largest percent of Star Wars Figures is it the Kids or the Collectors

OC47150
01-03-2002, 08:55 AM
Hands down, collectors. If kids were interested in it, the toys wouldn't be clogging the shelves. Besides, how many 10 year olds do you know who can afford a $40 B-wing?

JEDIpartner
01-03-2002, 12:08 PM
Absolutely the collectors. My folks were really quite generous when I was a child- picking up the odd STAR WARS figure for me when they went to the store, but the modern line is another completely different collander of noodles!

Between the enormous variety of products and their price points, there is no way that a kid could keep up. It's amazing how I manage to keep up! :rolleyes:

OC47150
01-03-2002, 12:59 PM
Same here, JEDIpartnr.

Jek Porky 2002
01-03-2002, 03:27 PM
And here!

jedi master sal
01-03-2002, 04:01 PM
I heartily agree!

I'm just glad I got my recent promotion so I can afford all the goodies to come.

Bring on the clones ....
well the toys that is.

Darth Evil
01-03-2002, 05:10 PM
Yep, kiddy interest goes down between films, so fewer kids will buy until AOTC figures appear.

Darth Metalmute
01-03-2002, 05:32 PM
Forgot all about the Shimi figure. This is another great figure released this year. Looks just like this woman I work with. Bought a bunch and left them around work so she would find them. Lots of fun with this figure.

OC47150
01-03-2002, 05:35 PM
You're twisted, Darth Metalmute. Did she find out it was you?

master jedi
01-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Does this question really need to be asked? Of course it's the collectors. I'd like to see a kid with shelves(sp?) of Star Wars stuff.

stillakid
01-03-2002, 10:36 PM
If the toys were more reasonably priced, kids would probably be all over this stuff. The trading card companies have priced those products right out of kids hands and Hasbro has never been kid friendly. My parents were my only avenue to getting new toys when I was a kid. Now as a parent, I buy them for myself, but unless my kids express a genuine interest in having something, I'm not about to spend $7 bucks on a figure for them so that it'll sit around in their toybox.

At the moment, Pokemon and Digimon are priced better for kids so that's what they get...even in a movie year.

GNT
01-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
Does this question really need to be asked? Of course it's the collectors. I'd like to see a kid with shelves(sp?) of Star Wars stuff.

I guess you haven't seen Bigreds sons collection?

Jayspawn
01-04-2002, 01:35 AM
It's without a dought the Collectors. It's easier to carry a job and then go wild at Target (like I do).

On the other hand, nothing makes me happier then to see a kid find a new Star Wars toy they have been looking for. Often times, they want it more than Collector's do. The kid can go home and enjoy their toy as a Collector more than likely has to go home to relationships, taxes, and work. Not that those are bad.

Obi-Don
01-04-2002, 01:54 AM
I would say the collectors. My son not long ago gave me all of his stuff because he is now into the 12" GI Joes. I also believe that the kids couldn't afford the prices they charge for the stuff.

Darkross
01-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Definitely the Collector has this market! We are what keeps Hasbro in business, especially during a non-movie year! When you compare the price of what vintage figures were selling for 25 years ago at $2.00 each and the figures released now at $7.00 each...a kid can't keep up with that. Not to mention afford any of the vehicles. I myself have to budget what I'm going to buy, if I had $5,000.00 I could complete my collection. For me...it's the excitement in collecting and the novelty of having a huge SW collection that makes me enjoy this hobby so much! A kid can't appreciate this, since all they want to do is play with their figures and they don't understand the value in keeping someting in prestine order for years to come.

JEDIpartner
01-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Hey there DARKROSS!

I was one of those kids with the keen intuition to keep all of my "artifacts" in good working order. I was known as "selfish" when I was a kid because I wouldn't really let my friends play with my STAR WARS figures. Those same friends are kicking themselves in the arse because they've destroyed all their vintage toys and mine are still pretty much as good as they were out of the box!

Darkross
01-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Hey there DARKROSS!

I was one of those kids with the keen intuition to keep all of my "artifacts" in good working order. I was known as "selfish" when I was a kid because I wouldn't really let my friends play with my STAR WARS figures. Those same friends are kicking themselves in the arse because they've destroyed all their vintage toys and mine are still pretty much as good as they were out of the box!

My mistake...there are those of us who were kids once...(some of us still are - namely myself LOL!) who had the "intuition" to keep their toys in really good condition. Myself - I repainted some of my vintage figures, but all of my vehicles are like new!

Sorry JEDIpartnr...if I offended you or any other collectors out there!

OC47150
01-04-2002, 12:39 PM
Of all my vintage figures, I only painted two: two Death Star commanders were painted white for ESB. I'd tried to get rid of the paint as best as I could but that late 1970s, early 1980s paint is pretty durable. I ended up painting one of them all black. He doesn't look half bad.

All of my vintage items are in good shape, too. My Death Star survived the garage and is now on display in my basement.

Darth Metalmute
01-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Knew it was me from the get-go

JediTricks
01-05-2002, 01:11 AM
According to Hasbro, the markets are even, 50/50. But here's the strange thing, before Ep 1, the SW market was like 80/20 kids/collectors because kids outnumber us probably by 1,000 to 1. I think kids have noticed that the "cool factor" has become zilch in the figures lately and moved on, and while they're still an enormous potential market, they're no longer a very interested current market.

Wolfwood319
01-05-2002, 04:32 PM
That last statement hit it right on the mark. Kids don't think Star Wars is cool right now. Its all about Gundam, Pokemon, Digimon, etc.

I think Hasbro was exaggerating with those numbers though, I think its more like 80/20 now, (collectors/kids).

OC47150
01-06-2002, 02:30 PM
I'd like to know where Hasbro is getting its statistics from. The 80/20 and 50/50 just doesn't ring true to me.