PDA

View Full Version : Sin City (merged)

James Boba Fettfield
02-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I thought maybe there would have been a topic discussing this one. Lately it seems that Sin City is everywhere I look. I was inspired last night after seeing the color pics of what NECA is doing for these figures (which are beautiful by the way).

Anyone else excited for this one? I know the Frank Miller and Sin City fans are, but what about those who do not know the books. I would think this impressive cast list and directing talent would excite most movie fans.

I am interested in seeing how Miller and Rodriguez bring That Yellow Bastard to the screen. The other story lines are great, too, but Hartigan's tale is a favorite. Hell, I am more than interested, I am itching to see this one so badly. Possibly more so than any other film this year (yes, even more than Episode 3 and Batman and Land of the Dead) because of the Sin City content. I guess you have to be a fan of the dark, dirty, and gritty world Miller brings out with this work.

Other fans? Curious movie goes? Anyone?

EDIT-Here's the trailer for those who may not know what I am talking about: http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city.html

General_Grievous
02-06-2005, 04:41 PM
I am more and more curious about this movie. I'll more than likely go see it. Comic elements mixed in with violence and nudity? Where can you go wrong? :D

darthvyn
02-06-2005, 09:00 PM
judging by the trailer it looks to be a perfect translation of the comics... i'm eagerly awaiting this one...

Rocketboy
02-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Sin City is something I've always wanted to read, but for one reason or another haven't (yet).

The movie does look really good.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Entertainment Weekly put this movie on their cover with an article inside.

Nick Stahl is awesome in general but from the pic they showed of him as That Yellow Bastard, it looks like they pulled him right out of the comic pages.

Lots of CGI, should be interesting.

2-1B
02-21-2005, 01:34 AM
I saw the trailer this weekend and I was really intrigued by it. Looks to be a definite for me to see. How great is Mickey Rourke gonna be ? :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I am most excited for Bruce Willis, but Clive Owen impresses me in the trailer.

Mickey Rourke should be great. Everywhere I turn it's Marv this and Marv that.

Hellboy
02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm with you Fettfield this movie looks fantastic and other than Episode III this is THE film I'm most looking forward to this year.

I've been a Frank Miller fan ever since reading his Dark Knight Returns series back in 1986, a comic series that not only spawned my initial interest in Batman but got me heavily into collecting comic books in general. Miller's adult style of writing changed the world of comic books and made them accessable to more than just kids and Sin City was no exception. For those who haven't read the books the storyline is pretty hardcore and I love the fact that we seem to be getting more than just one of the 3 comic series incorporated into this movie. I would imagine we'll probably get the remainder if the film does well. The fact that Miller is co-directing lends credibility to Rodriguez's claim that he wants to bring the comics to life and leads me to believe this could end up being the most faithful comic book adaptation to date.

I think the casting is dead on, the shot of Dwight standing in the alleyway with a gun in each hand and the shot of That Yellow Bastard sitting at that booth gave me chills the first time I saw them. Stahl looks amazing and if it wasn't for his name being listed in the film's long list of talent I never would have known that was him as That Yellow Bastard. I can't wait until April.

James Boba Fettfield
04-01-2005, 03:12 PM
That was a good one. Humor, violence, nasty things happening to good people, beautiful!

However, I did not like Michael Madsen's performance. Anyone else feel he was off or was it just me? Love me some Hartigan, but not in a Nancy sort of way. And Elijah Wood as Kevin . . . BRILLIANT!

It was exactly how I expected it to be visually. A comic book (er, graphic novel, sorry) brought to the big screen without losing any of that feel of the original source material. Really loved that aspect of it.

My head is hurting something fierce right now, so I'm going to let this topic cool and see what others think. Damn movie theater always gives me a headache.

JON9000
04-01-2005, 06:39 PM
SPOILER FREE!

Mixed feelings on this one. I know the fanboys are salivating and without having read the comic books I can say that it does look like a comic, and not in the dorky Joel Schumacher sense of the phrase.

The unique feature of a comic is the thought bubble, and we have a lot of narration from inside the minds of the characters. This is all well and good, but it has the ability to slow down the movie in parts where things really need to move along. So pacing was a bit of a problem.

The good news is that while it is derivative, it is somehow also really unique and you won't leave the theater feeling like you have seen it all before, a quality I prize most highly.

It is about as violent as anything I've ever seen, and while the dimwits might love it simply for that quality (such as those I sat next to), the over-the-top mayhem got old after the Rourke story. You just sort of become numb to it after awhile.

overall, it seems sort of like a pimply 14-year-old loser's wet dream- all of the women are hookers, all of them are dressed in hyper-fetish outfits, and all of them have great figures. The men are all indestructible misfit killing machines who are all really interchangable. I have a feeling Frank Miller didn't get much action from the girls as a kid, and was probably the victim of many wedgies. This movie will probably find its greatest admirers in similarly situated individuals.

Me, I only sorta liked it. ;)

stillakid
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
SPOILER FREE!

Mixed feelings on this one. I know the fanboys are salivating and without having read the comic books I can say that it does look like a comic, and not in the dorky Joel Schumacher sense of the phrase.

The unique feature of a comic is the thought bubble, and we have a lot of narration from inside the minds of the characters. This is all well and good, but it has the ability to slow down the movie in parts where things really need to move along. So pacing was a bit of a problem.

The good news is that while it is derivative, it is somehow also really unique and you won't leave the theater feeling like you have seen it all before, a quality I prize most highly.

It is about as violent as anything I've ever seen, and while the dimwits might love it simply for that quality (such as those I sat next to), the over-the-top mayhem got old after the Rourke story. You just sort of become numb to it after awhile.

overall, it seems sort of like a pimply 14-year-old loser's wet dream- all of the women are hookers, all of them are dressed in hyper-fetish outfits, and all of them have great figures. The men are all indestructible misfit killing machines who are all really interchangable. I have a feeling Frank Miller didn't get much action from the girls as a kid, and was probably the victim of many wedgies. This movie will probably find its greatest admirers in similarly situated individuals.

Me, I only sorta liked it. ;)

Geez, now I'm afraid to like it. :(

Hellboy
04-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Just got back from seeing this myself and thought it was great. I was probably most impressed with Mickey Rourke's portrayal of Marv. I don't think anyone else could've done a better job, he really brought the character to life.

I do consider myself a Michael Madsen fan but I agree with your criticism of him here Fettfield. His subdued mannerisms just didn't work in his favor with this role.
Another performance I wasn't to thrilled with was Brittany Murphy's. She just seemed to be over doing it a bit.

Overall I think Rodriguez and Miller captured the feel of the books well, especially from a visual standpoint. My only complaint was not seeing Nancy in her b-day suit just like the graphic novel, but I figured it would be a stretch for Jessica Alba to go that far so I didn't expect it. :D

stillakid
04-06-2005, 06:33 PM
The CAP Movie Ministry says, "Every other "shalt not" in the Bible was likely violated in this film."

It MUST be good if the zealots hate it. :D

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/sincity.htm

Wanton Violence/Crime (W)

multiple bullet impacts with blood, splatter and body part loss
multiple instances of slicings, lacerations, incisions, impalements, avulsions and amputations
cartoon images of firearm and blade assaults
child abduction by a pedophile
fist fighting
assault with metal pipe
gunfire cutting off forearm and to the male privates
scene of multiple gunfire injuries, graphic
scene of multiple gunfire killings, graphic
threat to kill, repeatedly
action violence, repeatedly
planning murder, repeatedly
assault on police, multiple, graphic
assault to eyes
firearm threat, repeatedly
pistol whipping, repeatedly, graphic
gunfire to privates
dragging man by car with face against the pavement
attempted murder by car, numerous times with sight of victim being thrown and bouncing each time
attempted gunfire murder, repeatedly
surviving impossible gunfire injuries that would result in death, repeatedly
assault with sledge hammer, graphic
heads of five disembodied women mounted as trophies, victims of cannibalism, repeatedly
woman speaking of man who had eaten her hand while she watched
assault with a rock
assault with axe to the private parts
many gunfire injuries of varying severity, repeatedly
gore, repeatedly
beating assault
man hitting a woman, repeatedly
double amputation
dog eating stubs of amputations
severed head, repeatedly, sometimes talking/moving
man kissing severed head
beating with baseball bats
talk of eating women
arm breaking assault
electrocution execution
many threats of many kinds
illegal flight to avoid lawful capture
firearms for offense, many
killing/injuring with slicing weapons, repeatedly, some graphic
beheading
more amputation
gushing/splattering of blood, repeatedly
impalement injuries, repeatedly, some graphic
bodies strewn about
slicing up five bodies to be able to fit them into a car trunk
semiautomatic pistol slide rack impaled into forehead
dead bodies talking
assault by strangulation of woman
another severed head, repeatedly, sometimes talking
knife impalements, repeatedly
gunfire to kill, repeatedly
biting gore
brutality, repeatedly
victim joking with spear and arrows protruding through him
blood lust
extortion with wife's life
beating gore, repeatedly
severed finger
admission of contemplating suicide
threat to kill with broken window pane glass
manually ripping male private parts off a man

Impudence/Hate (I)

76 uses of the three/four letter word vocabulary
lusting for murder
wish to kill
lies, repeatedly
stuffing head in toilet with feces to intimidate, twice
calling murder an art
"Power comes by lying"
sadism
torture with whip as "foreplay"

Sexual Immorality (S)

graphically descriptive talk of rape and murder of an 11 year old girl
making out
intercourse with nudity
nudity, upper female, repeatedly
nudity, female rear, repeatedly, some close-up
sex talk
thong nudity, repeatedly
homosexual reference
ghosting of female anatomy through thin clothing, repeatedly
translucent nudity
woman as toys
sensuous dance, repeatedly
dressing to maximize the female form and/or skin exposure, repeatedly
nude woman with appendages hiding gender-specifics
anatomical references, repeatedly
man and woman in bed together
cohabitation
sexual threats
camera angle to force viewer on private parts, repeatedly
prostitutes, many and prostitute dress, repeatedly
soliciting prostitution, repeatedly
talk of showing privates to each other
offer of sex, repeatedly
inappropriate touch
pedophile
threat of sexual torture
full male nudity with privates hidden by shadows, repeatedly, many angles
sexual innuendo

Drugs/Alcohol (D):

smoking, repeatedly
drinking, repeatedly
drunkenness, repeatedly
bar, repeatedly
booze, repeatedly
abuse of prescription medication

Offense to God (O)

"Goldy [a prostitute] worked the clergy"
speaking of eating not only flesh but souls as well
name calling with "fool" [Matt. 5:22]
eight uses of God's name in vain with the four letter expletive and six without

Murder/Suicide (M)

gunfire murder, at least 13 individual plus a multiple, graphic
axe to forehead murder, graphic
neck twist murder
beating murder, at least two, graphic
squeezing head murder
blade murders, at least six, graphic
arrow murder, at least three, graphic
murder by slicing off top of head, graphic
gunfire suicide, graphic

My personal favorite was "thong nudity." :rolleyes: But most importantly, it got a PERFECT SCORE of zero! :cool:

James Boba Fettfield
04-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I can't wait for the dvd so I can show Sin City to my 10 year old brother.

lol that list certainly sums up the goings on of Sin City nicely, but leaves out the GOOD actions done by the "seedy" characters to the actual evils of the city.

JON9000
04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
If you want real violence and depravity, I suggest foregoing this film and watching "The Passion". That was violent. Maybe Mel can follow up with the Passion of King Herrod- wherein we can watch Herrod get it on with about 80 virgins in a harem.

That reviewer had sentence structure that would make VT proud.

Rocketboy
04-06-2005, 10:45 PM
The CAP Movie Ministry says, "Every other "shalt not" in the Bible was likely violated in this film."

It MUST be good if the zealots hate it. :D

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/sincity.htmThat rocks!
I think I need to start using that site to decide if I want to see a movie!

2-1B
04-07-2005, 12:16 AM
My favorite part is "ghosting of female anatomy" :D

This movie was great, I loved it. Elijah Wood was goofy but other than that it was a real treat to take in all that depravity. :crazed:

mabudonicus
04-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I think my personal fave off of that list is "cohabitation".....

WTF?!?!?

2-1B
04-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Ahhhhhhh yes, the old "living in sin" euphemism . . . well they ARE in Sin City, no ? :crazed:

General_Grievous
04-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Just saw this movie today, and I can NOT judge it as just one movie. What I saw playing on the screen were three short films just as the comics (which I have never read, BTW) are supposed to be. I'll start my review in the order of my least favorite short to favorite.

SPOILERS (but I guess by now, anyone who's reading this thread has probably seen the movie)

The Hartigan/Nancy/Yellow B@$t@rd storyline
To me, this had a great start with Hartigan saving Nancy from Rourke Jr., but you guys were right. Michael Madsen SUCKED in this. His performance was awful. And I'm a huge fan of his work in Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill Vol. 2. Anyway, when it picked up again about 2/3 of the movie in, I thought it was way too silly, especially that Michael Madsen's character picks up Hartigan from jail, and Hartigan doesn't do crap even though he's sitting right behind the guy who betrayed him and shot him 10 times. Then he just shows up at the strip bar and Nancy just makes out with him even though the last time they saw each other, she was 11 years old. Then, the YB shows up and kidnaps Nancy again while Hartigan has to save her again. This was just really stupid to me, everything happened too quickly. Then he goes and beats the flesh (literally) out of the YB. Then Hartigan kills himself to save Nancy. I just didn't connect with any of the characters. At all. This was the weakest part, IMO.

The Marv storyline
This had its perks. Mickey Rourke was great as Marv. His story reminded me a lot of Kill Bill though. Just going on a bloody rampage for revenge sounded awfully familiar to me. Anyway, I was just sitting there with my mouth wide open at all the gratuitous violence. It was like something out of a videogame loving 12 year old boy's wildest dreams. Elijah Wood was also doing a great job of playing a maniac. It was pretty sick when the dog was eating him, though. Ick. I also found it funny that Lucille was the mom from Spy Kids. whew!

The Dwight/Jackie Boy/Old Town Girls storyline
This was my favorite chapter of the whole movie. Clive Owen and Benicio del Toro both were great as Dwight and Jackie Boy, which really shone in the part where Dwight was imagining that Jack's dead body was talking to him. The Old Town hookers kicked major tail! Especially Miho. Brittany Murphy did an okay job, same goes for the actress who played Gail (forgot her name). The only thing I was not impressed by was Michael Clark Duncan. I thought he sucked in the movie (but then again, this was a guy who was in both Daredevil and See Spot Run). But I was amused at the stuff that Jackie Boy went through. Okay, he had his head stuffed in a toilet, he had his hand chopped off, his gun barrel fired into his forehead, he had his head "turned into a Pez dispenser", then got it chopped off, then a bomb exploded inside his severed head. Wow. A hard day calls for a hard lemonade.

Overall, I liked the movie, but can anyone explain this to me? What was the significance of the bookend chapters with Josh Hartnett? What did they both mean? I didn't get it.

RooJay
04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm thinking of starting a Carla Gugino fanclub now - anyone want to join? :D

Honestly...I'd been waiting for that particular scene for a very, very long time. One of my life's goals is now complete! :cheeky:

evenflow
06-03-2005, 10:59 AM
I was wonderingfi there has been any confirmation that there will be a special edition following this bare release. I knwo it makes sense that they will, but has it been confirmed liek the Hellboy Special Edition was?

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Lots of rumors saying there will be a special edition following late this year, but nothing official said about it.

Captain Spoon
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I would guesse that since Sin City 2 & 3 have already been green lit and they will start working on part 2 very soon, that the SE would comeout sometime before #2 that way it could include some special making of footage for part 2 and most likely movie cash as well. It will come sooner or later that movie was entirely too bad a** not to get a 2 or 3 disc DVD.

Rocketboy
03-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Such a short thread for such a great movie...

With Sin City 2 getting close to filming, probably time to dig this baby up.

Johnny Depp and Antonio Banderas in Sin City 2?
Maybe... (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19569)

Kidhuman
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I thoght this thread would be longer myself.

Anyways, I had no idea they were making a part 2. Depp could be a sweet for it, not too keen on Banderas though.

RooJay
03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
What more could be said of a wholly, perfectly satisfying movie? Can't wait for the sequel!