PDA

View Full Version : American Dad....eh

Mandalorian Candidat
02-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Did anyone else watch this last night after the Super Bowl? It's Seth McFarlane's next cartoon show, but Family Guy it ain't.

I wasn't impressed at all. Where Family Guy has some great dialogue and truly funny characters, this show had neither. The main guy is some kind of super CIA agent and looks like a cross between Quagmire and the wheelchair cop (Puddy) and sounds like Brian the dog. Instead of a talking dog, there's a lame-o Paul Lynde-sounding Area 51 alien. Instead of Stewie, there's a horny goldfish trying to hit on the mom. Yeah.

I've seen that FG has kind of returned to Fox, yet I don't know if they're making new episodes. Why start a new show when the old one kicked-A and was still funny and relatively fresh? At least Futurama had legs, this one seems to be a pile of crap.

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2005, 06:27 PM
It was a strange night, indeed. The Simpsons was not on the low level of suckiness that it has been this season and American Dad fell flat, for me, with its premiere.

It's a Family Guy clone. Take a clue from Matt G. and create something different. I hope American Dad improves, but I do not expect it will.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I thought this show was mildly funny, but not enough. The main character was dumb and so were most of the other ones. The only one I laughed at was the alien. The old dog was pretty good, but that's already over, I guess (I stopped watching halfway through). I won't watch this again.

The Simpsons was quite possibly the (as "Jeff Albertson" would say) worst. Episode. Ever. It wasn't funny at all, except for a few small chuckles about the religious movies. The only really good thing was learning CBG's name (though I probably got the wrong one).

El Chuxter
02-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I thought Simpsons started off strong, but shot straight downward after the first few minutes. :(

New Family Guy starts May 1, which just happens to be the same night as new American Dad. Hopefully some more work will go into American Dad, or it's doomed. It looked very unfinished, and was overall just meh. I laughed a few times, and quite loudly, but not as many times as during even the worst Family Guy episode. (At least it beats the tar out of that horrible King of the Pride.)

Two things I have to wonder:

1) With Family Guy and American Dad both coming to Sunday nights, what's moving and what's being cancelled? Hopefully King of the Hill doesn't get the axe; it's not always in top form, but is a great show when it is. And Arrested Development must stay on. As long as that criminally unfunny Malcolm in the Middle goes and the other stalwarts stay (even if on different nights), I'll be happy.

2) Was this supposed to be a replacement for Family Guy that is pretty much obsolete now that Fox brought back Family Guy? Seriously. It was supposed to premiere quite some time ago, but still looks and sounds really, really unfinished. Methinks Fox resurrected Family Guy, but McFarlane had already been contracted to do American Dad. Of course, if you have enough in you to do only one great series, are you going to stick with the tried-and-true Family Guy or the untested American Dad (which, as someone pointed out, is a complete Family Guy clone anyway)?

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2005, 08:10 PM
1) With Family Guy and American Dad both coming to Sunday nights, what's moving and what's being cancelled? Hopefully King of the Hill doesn't get the axe; it's not always in top form, but is a great show when it is. And Arrested Development must stay on. As long as that criminally unfunny Malcolm in the Middle goes and the other stalwarts stay (even if on different nights), I'll be happy.

7-King of the Hill
7:30-Malcolm
8-The Simpsons
8:30-Arrested Development
9-Family Guy
9:30-American Dad

That's just my guess on what the schedule will be, but as it stands right now, they have the 9-10pm slot ready to be filled with some new programming ever since giving the axe to that Obnoxious Boss show. Right now they show Simpsons and Family Guy repeats in that slot, so I suppose those reruns will be replaced with Family Guy and American Dad come May 1.

Kidhuman
02-07-2005, 09:21 PM
It was okay. I thought it could have been funnier. Hopefully it willget funnier.

Rocketboy
02-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm still wondering why the show wasn't cancelled during the broadcast.
Horrible.
It was Family Guy with altered characters and zero comedy.

Unless some MAJOR reworking goes into it, it won't last more than 8 episodes.

JediTricks
02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Darnit ManCan, I was going to start a thread on this with the title "American Dad? American DUD" ;) Yeah, this show suuuucked, such a painful ripoff of Family Guy but missing so many of the key components. There wasn't one funny line or postive aspect of the show that stuck with me, a real bad sign. I think the problem is that Seth McFarlane wasn't the only core writer on FG and it kept some balance, but now he's a "star" he can do whatever crazy garbage he wants, and AD is it.

I'm also with the group here that felt that The Simpsons last night was pretty awful, though I will agree with Chux that it started less than awful.

Chux, Fox's Sunday has this big empty hour at 9pm where they've been cycling reruns in and out for months. I'm sure none of the shows will get the axe - though if they move Arrested Development, they better actually stand behind it, it's their best show on the network right now and they have no idea what to do with it, if they shuffle it around to Tuesday or something it's toast (and would probably get preempted for American Idol anyway the way That 70s Show has been).

Was this supposed to be a replacement for Family Guy that is pretty much obsolete now that Fox brought back Family Guy? Seriously. Yup. Good thing FG is back because AD sucked.

InsaneJediGirl
02-08-2005, 10:14 AM
It was okay.If a choice came between FG and American Dad,of course Family Guy would win out.Much more funny :D As JBF pointed out,it does build on the base of FG,but its more of a bad mutated clone ;)

General_Grievous
02-13-2005, 02:57 PM
For those of you who missed the painful half hour that is "American Dad", Cartoon Network is showing it tonight on its Adult Swim block at 11:30.

Overall, I only laughed at about two jokes in the show. The one with the Afghani Terrorist and his wife and God's conversation with George W. Bush.

The alien was a little bit funny, but he got kind of annoying.

Overall, it's a little tiny flea compared to the gargantuan megahit that is "Family Guy". Plus, most of the characters are the exact same as on FG, except 100 times less funnier.

And it's different from FG in that it makes fun of political issues instead of movies and TV shows from the 70s and 80s.

I just hope it can get better, but since Family Guy's coming back, who needs American Dad?

Rocketboy
02-13-2005, 11:03 PM
since Family Guy's coming back, who needs American Dad?My thoughts exactly.

Lord Malakite
02-14-2005, 01:10 AM
I have an odd feeling that sooner or later the two families will cross paths on at least one of the shows.

Rocketboy
05-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, the show still sucks.

2-1B
05-02-2005, 01:14 AM
I didn't watch it on TV but I did see an extended promo in a theater a few weeks back and I thought it was very poor.

Kidhuman
05-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Slightly funnier than the pilot, but still cant touch Family Guy

Sentinel18725
05-02-2005, 10:06 AM
No, it was not very good. Where, I laughed my arse off with Family Guy last night. Come on, who can't laugh at GI Joe references? Nice job. Keep it up! Glad to have it back. lol

El Chuxter
05-02-2005, 01:11 PM
It was weak. I give it a few more weeks.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-02-2005, 08:07 PM
I watched a few minutes of it and was disappointed. I thought McFarlane would have fixed it up. He should just stick with Family Guy and doing voice overs for Robot Chicken (he did a great Lion-O voice last night).

JediTricks
05-02-2005, 08:39 PM
American DUD! I can't think of a single funny thing in that ep, I don't think I'll bother watching this crap again. It actually made me madder that they didn't get the writing better than the pilot ep, so in some ways it was WORSE!

InsaneJediGirl
05-02-2005, 11:30 PM
I thought it might have gotten better as the show went on,but sadly it got worse!I wont be watching American Dad again,it tries too much to be like Family Guy,but cant cut it because the humor really lacks.

El Chuxter
05-03-2005, 01:04 PM
It doesn't seem to know whether it's mock serious or totally silly, so when a ridiculous gag like "Pillowhands" pops up, it seems horribly out of place.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I was reading the SW edition of the TV guide and saw a blurb on AD. They totally bag on the show and the crappy characters. Not that they have the most valid opinions at TV Guide, but it was nice to see them telling it like it is.

Ji'dai
05-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, I finally finished watching Sunday night's episode. Bleah. FOX should've went crawling back to Matt Groening and begged for more episodes of Futurama. Then their adverts of 'Animation Domination' would be more appropriate.

General_Grievous
05-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I couldn't even sit through the whole episode, I was so bored. Man, Seth McF should just quit this show so he can work double time on Family Guy.

JediTricks
05-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Yet almost every review on IMDB gives it praise and claims it's funny. Proving that there are far too many stupid people on IMDB.

James Boba Fettfield
05-15-2005, 10:05 PM
I thought tonight's episode was watchable. Some bad bits, but the show felt much improved from the previous offerings.

And correct me if I am wrong for those who watched it, but was that not Queens of the Stone Age at the Burning Man festival? I believe I caught Josh Homme's name in the credits, but my eyes were a bit blurry because I didn't have my glasses on. I am 85% sure that was QOTSA, though.

JediTricks
05-16-2005, 04:54 AM
It wasn't quite as bad as the previous eps, but that was made possible by a crummy lead-in Family Guy too. I can't believe I watched it really, but I had already taped the first half of Law & Order:CI so there was nothing else for me.

El Chuxter
12-19-2005, 01:15 AM
This thread needs resuscitation.

A year ago, I wouldn't believe I'd be saying this, but American Dad is finally finding its place. The goofy slapstick is mostly gone, with the show leaning toward political humor and more intellectual gross-out jokes than Family Guy. I've actually found most of the recent episodes to be funnier than Simpsons on a given night.

I couldn't help but laugh at Fussy's appearance with Greg and Terry on TV tonight. If you don't know what the funny line was, well, I can't repeat it here.

And a hilarious reference to The Boondocks (the funny strip, not the questionable cartoon), too!

JediTricks
12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
The show isn't quite as bad as when it started, but I still find that the writing is too broad and loose, and the little quality it's gained has been siphoned off of Family Guy which is starting to sag (as I feared it would when Seth McFarlane said he'd be doing both). Last night's ep of American Dad had some funny stuff but the main storyline was WAY too over the top (very much in the same vein as the past few seasons of The Simpsons I'd say, although bawdier).

Rocketboy
12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I still don't understand why it's still on. It's just as bad as when it started.

UKWildcat
12-19-2005, 11:01 PM
I stopped watching this show last season because it was soo bad. If it is even a little better than it was last year, thats a huge improvement. I figured I could easily scratch this one off my list of stuff to watch each week. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision.

El Chuxter
12-20-2005, 01:56 AM
It's a million times better than it was, and this is coming from the most adamant hater of the early episodes. I'm as surprised as anyone to find myself saying it's consistently funnier than The Simpsons.

Rocketboy
12-20-2005, 11:18 PM
It's a million times better than it was, and this is coming from the most adamant hater of the early episodes. I'm as surprised as anyone to find myself saying it's consistently funnier than The Simpsons.That's exactly what I would say...in bIZZARO wORLD.

It's no better than it was initially and The Simpsons is 100% Gold compared to American Dud.

Bosskman
12-21-2005, 06:32 AM
I've tried to give it a shot a few times, but I can't bare to watch a whole episode. A truly terrible show it is. The only thingI laughed at on sunday was when that chinese lady farted the chinese music. But it would have been way funnier on family guy if Trisha Takanowa had done it (yeah, I know she's japanese.