PDA

View Full Version : More ROTS card info

OC47150
02-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Here's a detailed article from starwarscards.net about what we can expect on the ROTS cards.

RETAIL TINS

There will be 6 different retail tins. All will feature images of Vader/Anakin. These tins are all smaller in size than the tins from Episode Two. (Think in terms of the sizes of those YuGiOh tins you sometimes see at the retail stores). Each tin will contain 3 packs of retail cards and 2 exclusive cards. There are a total of 12 cards exclusive to the tins. 6 cards that show the same image as the lid of the tin (the printers have been instructed to put the same card image in with the same tin) and a second set of 6 exclusive cards that are essentially 6 additional story cards, expanding upon the regular story cards from the set. The 6th card from this subset is essentially a summary card for the full film. The exclusive cards for the tins are all regular sized cards (no oversized cards for this set) and Topps has worked hard to ensure collation will work out for those who want to buy only the 6 tins. Better still, tins are priced at only $9.99. Essentially the same price you would pay for 3 packs of cards, but you are getting the 3 packs plus 2 exclusive cards, and the tin.

If you are looking to collect the retail cards, buying them in the tins might be a more cost effective method than buying by the pack. I'm personally considering buying the tins, and then one box of retail cards, just because the retail have such cool chase cards in them this time around.

BLISTER PACKS

In the past year, a lot of stores have been carrying YuGiOh and other CCG style cards on blister packs. Wizards of the Coast card packs are often sold in this way. Topps is joining the list of companies making their cards available to retailers on a blister pack, but adding some fun for collectors as well. Each Topps ROTS blister pack will contain 2 retail packs of cards and one exlusive card. There are 3 blister pack exclusive cards, each showing a montage for a different character (Grievous, Yoda, Clone Trooper). Blister packs are priced at only $3.99, so you are getting the bonus card at no extra cost. With only 3 blister pack exclusive cards to collect, these should be easy for most collectors to find, even if their local area stores don't choose to carry the ROTS cards.

All ROTS products are scheduled to reach store shelves on April 2, 2005. You can ensure your store will carry the products by asking about them in advance. Companies like Walmart, Target, and TRU all purchase quantities of the retail cards, tins, and blister packs, but individual stores determine whether they will stock the product on their shelves. I know several stores in my area who have blister packs of other cards, and I intend to ask about whether they will have the Star Wars, since I'm eager to get the 3 exclusive cards.

WRAPPERS

Okay wrapper fanatics, don't be disappointed, but there is a single 'style' of wrapper. A Vader image. This doesn't mean there won't be the usual retail, hobby, blister pack, tin, UK, etc. variations in terms of exact wording, pricing, etc. listed on the wrappers. But there will not be multiple characters or styles of wrappers for ROTS.

SKETCH CARDS

There will be a total of 41 sketch card artists. Once again, Topps has worked hard to ensure there will be one sketch per Hobby box. Topps has 41 artists, each making a different number of cards based on their ability and time available to work on the card set. The 41 artists were selected in part to provide as wide a range of artistic styles as possible, so fans will again see a variety of styles in sketch cards. Artists were limited in the list of characters they could draw for the ROTS cards, focusing on the characters from this film (rather than all of the films as you had with the Heritage sets), which will make the ROTS cards highly focused on Episode III.

SPOILER WARNING

If you've read the checklist on the page created for this card set on the site, you've probably already found that the set has quite a few spoilers in it. Unlike other preview card sets, this set has perhaps more spoilers than you would expect. Almost every card will reveal information about the film that some fans may not want to know yet. If you are truly interested in avoiding spoilers, don't open your card packs or boxes until after you have seen the film. If you do open them, definitely avoid reading the card backs. This card set will provide much more information about the film than previous preview card sets have done, and while the film will still have some secrets if you read all the cards, you have been warned that the number of secrets exposed in the card sets is huge.

ETCHED FOIL

There will again be 6 etched foil cards for the ROTS set. These 6 cards will be the same in both the retail and hobby boxes. With so many unique chase cards in the retail vs. the hobby, you might wonder why these 6 particular cards were duplicated. The answer is simple, it is to ensure that every collector, whether they collect both hobby and retail, or just one type of card, has a chance to add these 6 cards to their collection. What is so special about these 6 cards. These cards continue the etched foil montage from the Heritage card set, which in turn continued the etched foil montage from the Star Wars Galaxy card sets. This continuation gives collectors a wonderful opportunity to tie their card collections together.

BINDERS

No, there are no binders planned for this card set by the US division of Topps. As always, it is possible the UK division will choose to produce binders, but there is no information on that at this time.

Maybe the tins will be cheaper this time.

Kidhuman
02-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Those sound pretty cool. I like the blister pack idea.

OC47150
02-08-2005, 08:28 AM
I'll be buying them.

Looks like all the stops are being pulled for ROTS.

Kidhuman
02-08-2005, 08:35 AM
I hitnk everyt line of merchandising is going all out right now. The preview figs are done nicely, hopefully a sign of the regular line to come. TOPPS sounds like they stepped it up. Lego throwing Light up sabers into the mix. I guess they want to capitalize on the last chance of anything being made that is new.

2-1B
02-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Wow, looks like all of this is going to cost me a few bucks. :D

I better just order one box and then spend the money from a second box on the tins intead. Odds are that I would get a poor sketch anyway, so why not go for the tins and exclusive cards instead ? ;)

OC47150
02-09-2005, 07:19 AM
I have my box already ordered. Placed it last week.

You can find some half-decent sketch cards on ebay.

I'm surprised so much info is being released on the first set of ROTS cards. The first set of AOTC cards didn't contain the Geonosis battle.

Ric Olie
03-22-2005, 12:14 PM
What's the retail price for a basic pack of cards? If they've gone up from 1.99 to 2.99 I won't be buying any of them.

plasticfetish
04-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Scored a "Bonus Box" with 6 packs of cards for $10 (each pack would be $1.99 alone) at Wal*Mart today. You get 7 cards per pack, 42 in all. They're great... and they're full of spoilers. :)

2-1B
04-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Nice find PF ! :)

I pre-ordered my factory sealed set of 6 different Tins each with an exclusive bonus card.

I paid $45 for all 6 and while I don't know what they will retail for (each tin has the bonus card and 3 retail packs) I figure it's a good deal because that comes to $7.50 per tin and I was planning on paying around 10 bucks anyway.

I'm so excited to get this card set ! ! !

plasticfetish
04-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm so excited to get this card set ! ! !Yeah, me too. I was gonna just wait and buy a whole box, but I had to grab this one now. Nice thing, no doubles and I ended up with 7 different insert cards.

I'm dying to scan pics and put them up, but...

Those tins sound cool. I can't remember, what's the bonus card? Is it something special to just the tins?

2-1B
04-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Yep, each tin has an exclusive card to it for that specific tin.

Well I found one of those Bonus Boxes today so I bought it and was DELIGHTED to pull 8 chase cards from the 6 packs (including the Jake/Vader 1 of 2 Lenticulars :) ) and I bought what was nearly a full retail box from a different store so I'll have my base set already (once I organize them).

So yeah, I'm basically 100% spoiled on this movie now. :D

2-1B
04-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Bought some more Bonus Pack boxes today and as of right now I've got all 3 Holograms, all 6 Foils, 1 of 2 Lenticulars, short 1 tattoo, short 2 stickers, and short 3 Embossed.

Damn I forgot about those alleged Blister Pack exclusives so I'll need to hunt them down as well.

I'm hoping to get a few of what I need out of the 18 packs I have coming via the tins and after that I'll just try to buy the ones I still need.

OC47150
04-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Where are you finding the cards? Toy sections or with the trading cards?

A buddy found them, but in all the excitement and chaos of Saturday, I couldn't. Now that it's slowed down, I'm planning on looking for them.

2-1B
04-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Card sections, sir. :)

I found them at 3 different Wal-Marts and yesterday Target had about 15 of those bonus pack boxes. :)

OC47150
04-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Target is a must-stop tonight!

mintoncard
04-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Picked up a Hobby box today at the INSANE price of $75.00. I was shocked to find NO sketch card in the box!!! This was the very first sealed box of cards I have ever bought, and suffice to say, I am seriously dissapointed.

Found a few bonus-boxes at Walmart today, and I pulled over 8 bonus cards from those two boxes alone!!!

The bottom line: stay away from the hobby boxes (only chase cards are the foil puzzle cards, the lenticular, and the SUPPOSED sketch cards).

Seems the retail packs have WAY more chase cards in them, and are more reasonably priced.

OC47150
04-07-2005, 06:57 AM
If you bought your box from a vendor, contact him. I had a similar problem with my Heritage set. The vendor contacted Topps, and Topps gave instructions on what to do to get a sketch card. I got my card within two weeks of mailing the info.

No bonus card sets sighted at my Target.

OC47150
04-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I found and bought one of the bonus packs at WM last night. The bonus card was Yoda.

Got one of the foil cards, Vader, and a tattoo!

2-1B
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
So who's going to try for the Case Topper ? Right now on eBay I see them going for 20-30 bucks which is steep but considering I'd have to buy a full case of 6 boxes just to get one, I might have to shell out $20 or so to get one. ;)

OC47150
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Wait till the dog days of summer and see what the prices are. That's what I'm going to do on the Heritage stickers.

OC47150
04-10-2005, 01:28 PM
My box of hobby cards arrived on Friday, so I went through 'em Friday night. I got two complete sets, about a third to one-half of a third set (I haven't put them in order yet) all six foil cards and one lenticular card. My sketch card was of a clone trooper.

From the bonus pack, I got one tatoo and the bonus card (Yoda).

I saw and bought one of the tin sets today for the first time at TRU. Very cool. I got a sticker, one Vader foil and the tin bonus card. I will get the other tins in the coming weeks.

plasticfetish
04-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Picked up a tin at Wal*Mart today... man, these things are hard to find near me. (Haven't seen any more of those bonus boxes either.) Pulled a few good things from the tin -- a sticker, a tattoo and an etched foil card.

OC47150
04-12-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm stopping at TRU tonight to get another tin or two. It's the only place I've seen them, but a friend has found them at either WM or Target.

OC47150
04-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I picked up the last tin at TRU. It was hidden behind some boxes and I almost didn't see it.

I'm going to have to hit a couple of other TRUs, WMs and Targets looking for the tins. It might have to wait until after C3.

PloKoon2385
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I bought a hobby box ($72) and I got 1+ complete set, all six foil cards, the Sith Anakin/Vader lenticular, and 2 sketch cards (Obi-Wan and a Wookie, both by Randy Martinez). I am pleased with these cards, but I might buy a retail box as well to get the inserts found in those. We'll see...

2-1B
04-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Congrats on the two sketch cards ! Many people are dissatisfied with Martinez's work but hey you got TWO so that's cool, huh ? :D

Oh man I forgot there are 2 more Lenticulars, the two exclusive to Hobby ! :(
I need to get after those . . .

plasticfetish
04-14-2005, 02:44 AM
I picked up two more tins at TRU -- they had them stashed back in the video game section. I also grabbed a copy of "Wizard" to get my Chewy promo card. (Thing had a dent in it though... grrrrrr.) Also grabbed a copy of "Non-Sport Update" and now I've got two P1 cards. If anyone going to CIII wants to... you know... grab me a P4 to trade, I'd be mighty happy. :)

OH! Hey... holy c**p! Card #66... WHAT a frigging spoiler yeah? (Just scored that one today.) Wow!

2-1B
04-14-2005, 11:51 AM
yeah, 66 is a good one. :D

hey PF I've been trying to spread the word amongst SSG about the C3 promo card so hopefully there will be some people who bring back a few stacks for us. :)

OC47150
04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
I haven't read how the C3 card will be distributed but I'll say this: at C2, the cards were placed in goody bags. A couple of bags I grabbed had the card -- and only the card!! -- missing.

So just remember to check.

mastermatt24
04-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Are the sketch cards only in the hobby boxes again?

2-1B
04-16-2005, 10:11 PM
yes sir, Hobby only.

OC47150
04-17-2005, 02:02 PM
It the immortal words of Ed McMahon, that is correct, sir!

I traded for the #2 morphing card this weekend. Have both now.

Also picked up a third tin this weekend.

2-1B
04-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Get this, I pulled 4 of the Jake morph cards before I pulled even one of the Hayden. :rolleyes:

OC47150
04-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Was that the retail set, Caesar?

2-1B
04-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes, retail. I got the Hobby morphs rather cheap on eBay, only 12.99 for the pair . . . much better than buying a bunch of packs trying to get them. lol

mastermatt24
04-18-2005, 10:56 PM
I went to WM and found three of the 2pac plus exclusive card and got three clones.. I would be willing to trade for the other two if anyone wants too.
(pun intended :D )

plasticfetish
04-19-2005, 01:25 AM
The clone must be the one they've crammed in most of those 2-packs, because I got two of them (out of three) the other day. :ermm:

2-1B
04-19-2005, 01:52 AM
I think they are spread fairly even, I don't recall how many I got but I bought around 20 of those blister packs and got one or two more of Grievous than Yoda and one or two more of Yoda than the Clone.

Today I got my Hobby morphs and case topper morph in the mail. Fantastic ! I'm glad I bought them outright, now I just need the C3 promo 4 . . . hopefully I can score it for ten bucks or less like last time with the AOTC C2 promo. :)

plasticfetish
04-19-2005, 11:48 PM
I think they are spread fairly evenYeah... I bought two more and got Yoda + another Grievous, so it's just a matter of luck... or is it? If you scoot the cards around, you can see the edge of the bonus card. A blue saber = Grievous, a green saber = Yoda, and elbows = a Clone Trooper. :)

Caesar... what do those morphs look like? Are there pics of them anywhere? (Wait... aren't you the Topps mod for the DB? get those things in there! ;) )

2-1B
04-20-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm trying to get them in there, PF !

For whatever reason, when Steve handed over controls of the Topps section it failed to allow me the ability to add subcats so that is on hold for now, at least the uploading since each card gets its own category.

I can't get decent scans of the morph side but I can share the back sides, just imagine the back images morphing into the Vader from the Retails and it's the same thing.

And then for the Case Topper, it's a tri-panel so TPM Ani turns into AOTC Ani turns into ROTS Ani turns into ROTS Sith Ani turns into Darth Vader. eBay has some better scans, I don't know why I can't get the morph side to scan without the color getting goofed up from the lenticular ? :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
04-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Ahh, cool stuff. I've only got one retail (Jake) morphing card so far... wouldn't mind having some more of those...
For whatever reason, when Steve handed over controls of the Topps section it failed to allow me the ability to add subcats so that is on hold for now, at least the uploading since each card gets its own category.I've no control over the categories/subcategories either (don't think so anyway.) I'm the "Collector's Database Editor" and honestly... I'm not exactly sure what that means yet. :)

No rush, we'll figure it all out someday.

2-1B
04-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Well, I began popping in Heritage card pics under that heading but then Steve clarified that each card gets its own literal category so I'll need to add a subcat for each card and list the front and back.

In the meantime I'll just keep scanning away until I hear back from him. :)

steeltormentor69
04-22-2005, 02:32 AM
On those blister packs its not necessary to get duplicates... just jiggle it around till you can see the edges of the card underneath. Yoda has some green on it, the clone trooper has blue on it and I think Grevious has orange or red, I can't really remember but still just try to see what card is in there and all you'll need to do is buy 3... one for each.

plasticfetish
04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah, that's what I just said. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=390704&postcount=39) ;)

-----

So... I didn't know that if you buy the tins, that you're not going to get all 6 of the "exclusive story cards." I've got 'em all now, but I still need 2 of those cards (2 and 3 I think.) WTF?

steeltormentor69
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
heh, sorry about that

2-1B
04-22-2005, 11:57 PM
PF, I bought all 6 tins and got the appropriate cards to go along with them . . . I would be irate in your situation. Can you call Topps and chew on their ear to get you the right cards ?

plasticfetish
04-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Ah, well, that sucks. They each had the right tin cover art card, which made me wonder... hmm. I suppose I'll have to send them an e-mail or something. I really don't want to buy any more tins.

Kidhuman
04-23-2005, 10:22 AM
How much are the tins?

plasticfetish
04-23-2005, 12:21 PM
They're $10 ($9.99) which means you're pretty much just buying them for the tins and the two bonus cards each.

2-1B
04-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Well, I still liked to get those 18 extra packs because I pulled some more stickers and tattoos for my nephew.

And when he was over last weekend, I even slapped a Vader tat on myself, it looked pretty cool . . . until it started rubbing off a bit the next day. :D

plasticfetish
04-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying it wasn't worth buying them at all, it's just that now I'd be buying them--3 packs for $10--just to gamble on getting those other two cards.

I've had lots of luck with those bonus boxes. Almost always something good in those. I'll probably hold out for a bit and grab a hobby box now though.

2-1B
04-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I hear ya. Myself, I really did buy the tins JUST for those cards as you mentioned, since I already had all the base cards and all but 1 chase card (which I didn't get from the tins). I need another reason to excuse paying the money for just a tin and 2 cards. :D That's why I took extra pleasure in getting the extra tattoos. :crazed:

OC47150
04-25-2005, 07:14 AM
On those blister packs its not necessary to get duplicates... just jiggle it around till you can see the edges of the card underneath. Yoda has some green on it, the clone trooper has blue on it and I think Grevious has orange or red, I can't really remember but still just try to see what card is in there and all you'll need to do is buy 3... one for each.

Blue for the clone. I will remember that. I went through a rack of the cards last week using the method as you suggested and unfortunately got another Yoda card.

2-1B
04-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Dude, I have a Blue Clone for you. PM me your address and I will send it, I hate for you to get burned on extra packs. :D

OC47150
04-25-2005, 01:35 PM
A vendor had the case morphing card for sale at C3. He wanted $40 on it. I passed.

It was sharp looking: TPM, AOTC and ROTS Anakins morphing into Vader.

2-1B
04-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Well, 40 is high for that card IMO . . . I dropped 20 on it via eBay, I don't regret it. IF I'm going to collect every other chase card, why skip this ? ;)

OC47150
04-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Someone paid $40 for it because it was gone. I saw it Thursday or Friday (can't remember which; the days kinda blur together after a while).

OC47150
09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Finally got around to buying the last ROTS card tin I needed. Figured I better do it before they disappeared.