PDA

View Full Version : CNN article of Hasbro and ROTS

Kidhuman
02-08-2005, 09:58 AM
CNN posted an article on Hasbro about its decline. The one thing they have going for them is ROTS, which they will show the rest of the line at Toy Fair, according ot the article. Hasbro is relying o nROTS ot boost their sales back up.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/07/news/midcaps/hasbro_results/index.htm

JEDIpartner
02-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Well... they certainly are putting all their eggs in one basket, aren't they? While I DO believe that the line will help in some regards, the fact that they have over-diversified the line will ultimately hurt them. There will be tons of toys that had gone through development and manufacturing that are pretty much doomed to fail. I think most of us have deemed the Force Battlers and Attacktix lines to be of little or no interest to us. And, hey, if they can't sell us on that stuff... who IS going to buy it?

I wish them the best, but I think they overdeveloped and over lisenced this line.

Kidhuman
02-08-2005, 10:09 AM
I agree 100% JP. They are placing all in one. The line will help, but they need to foucs and stop going into different directions withthe stuff. The license is way to long ot have, unless they know something we dont about a possible 7, 8, and 9. Maybe it is a gag order contract, but if it isnt, the line will certainly die out after 2007, when they 30th anniversary come around.

Droid
02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Yes, I think the problem over at Hasbro is groupthink. They decide what is best and no one is going to change their minds. For instance, why don't they get some collectors (NOT KIDS) and say, "Do you want these Force Battlers?"

They didn't learn from Episode I or II. They flood the market with too much product. Eventually retailers clearance the stuff and then Hasbro claims they overestimated interest. Ya, you overestimated interest, but that interest is still quite a bit higher than in most toy lines!

The article said:

"Hasbro negotiated the 10-year license extension in 2003. "We have an extra ten years to exploit this property," said Hargreaves."

I think that is the whole problem. They want to EXPLOIT the property. They want to keep rereleasing Tatooine Lukes and doing stuff like with the Jedi Council scenes where the last sets were kit bashed and collectors paid through the nose just to get the floor.

They exploit the COLLECTORS, but refuse to admit that we are driving the line. I know some at this site disagree with me, but IT AIN'T KIDS.

So help me I better get Yarna Gargan and Hem Dazon before they kill this thing or I'll just go nuts.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
ROTS better be a big payoff for them. It seems like they are releasing every possible character this year with few left for 2006 and beyond, which may or may not be a good idea. There's still the background characters and other costumes, but maybe they're thinking that when people leave the theater they'll have an urge to go and buy the specific kind of clone trooper that was in this one scene. What?

I agree with JP. Those new lines are crap, haven't they tried new lines before and failed (Epic Force, etc.). Maybe the Unleashed line gave them too much confidence . . .

Slicker
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
It's unfortunate that they have to pretty bet the future of the company on one particular line. That should maybe tell them that the other lines they produce are sub-standard. Here's hoping the best that they are able to stay around because if they go under I don't want McFarlane making SW statues.

BTW, I'm glad that the Darth Tater comes in a window box.

Fluke Skywalker
02-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Man I thought that Hasbro made a killing on the OTC line and sort of righted their ship so to speak. For their sake (And ours) I hope RotS is a classic that has kids begging their parents to buy them SW stuff all Summer long.

kool-aid killer
02-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Well, i think its rather foolish of Hasbro to think that Beyblades (who in their right mind would collect spinning tops?) would sustain the burst of interest it initially had. You can only spin the tops around for so long until it gets boring. I dont know how well their other lines (such as Transformers) did last year, but it comes as no suprise to me that Star Wars was a bright light for them. I think this year will be the same too, im just hoping that they dont rely too much on it to the point where bad decisions (though some could argue that bad moves are already happening with the line) end up biting Star Wars in the tail. Hoping for the best...

El Chuxter
02-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Hasbro, if you're reading this:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY PUT YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET? LOOK AT THE TRANSFORMERS ALTERNATORS! OR THE STAR WARS UNLEASHED! WE LOVE 'EM! IF YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH GIJOE INSTEAD OF RELEASING 4,896 SNAKE EYES REPAINTS, MAYBE YOU'LL GET ADULT COLLECTORS EXCITED ABOUT THAT. AND WE HAVE MORE MONEY THAN KIDS. SERIOUSLY.

Flooding the market with just SW won't help you. It will p**s us all off, kids and adults.

LTBasker
02-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Flooding the market and raising the price....sounds like it'll be a definite repeat of E1, except y'know E1 had sturdier packages. ;)

I smell doom in the air sadly.

ronhudy
02-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I also agree with the last several posts...gotta ask one thing though:
WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING BRINGING BACK FURBY?!?!

Lazer Brain
02-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Don't ya know ...it will be "DARTH" furrbee1 Ken O bee.
later

General_Grievous
02-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Y'know, I'm not crazy about the line running till 2018, either. I would rather see it run till 2010. Five more years for Hasbro to crank out everything that we still need with NO repacks whatsoever. If it runs till 2018, it just gives them an excuse to repack every figure they've made so far.