PDA

View Full Version : I am experiencing a polarization in the packaging of DVD boxsets.

2-1B
02-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Last week I bought the rather narrow Karate Kid Collection on DVD, a set containing 4 movies in those newer slimpack cases (what's the official term on those, anyway?). It's the same as my recent Seinfeld sets and also the Friday the 13th Paramount collection.

Today I bought Season 1 of HBO's Deadwood and the box it comes in has got to be at least 1 and a half times the width of the newest Star Wars Novel.
Same goes for the recent Carnivale Season 1 that I recently purchased. Not so much with The Wire but that's still a thicker set.

Not long ago, boxsets to be seemed to be (on average) the size of X amount of regular keepcases. Examples from my collection: Alien Saga (first release), Nightmare on Elm Street (despite the use of those horrible snapper cases), Rambo Trilogy, etc. And if they weren't in that format, they were still moderately sized fold out sets like The Simpsons, The Sopranos, etc.

But now I see things going in opposite directions. On one hand I have to deal with these slim packs but on the other hand I have fold out sets larger than books like Deadwood. HBO used to put 3 or 4 episodes on each disc for a 4 disc set, now they are doing 2 (sometimes 3) episodes per disc and making 6 disc sets.

How do I feel about this ? I'm torn. :confused:

On one hand, the slim packs have grown on me because
a) at least they aren't snappers or fold outs, so they are more durable
b) they save space on the shelf

But on the other hand, these newer THICK sets look cool on the shelf, despite their fragile and non-replaceable package design.

I guess that ideally I would just choose 100% uniformity in only Amaray style keepcase packaging but I know that is impossible and frankly, too late. ;)

What do you think ? I know there are others like me, those who are very particular about how their sets look on a shelf as well as how delicate they are.

Rocketboy
02-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I prefer the look of the regular size plastic snapcases, but I like the slimpacks for larger sets, like tv shows, especially when you buy one that has multiple volumes, like The Simpsons, Law and Order, ect..
Even with something relatively small like Family Guy - imagine how much shelf space that would take up if they were standard size cases.

The only case I both love and hate is Band of Brothers. It comes in a great looking metal tin, but that tin is pretty big and barely fits in the shelf with the rest of my DVDs. And there aren't even individual cases for each disc inside - there is a cardboard fold out, which is glued to the bottom of the tin. Right now, I'm working on making individual cases (maybe slimpacks) for them, so they look better on the shelf.

They could have solved all these problems from the beginning if they just used cd jewel cases. :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Nicely designed boxsets are great, even with their flaws of durability. It breaks up the motony.

Digipacks make me angry. The glue likes to never hold the plastic dvd holders. I also hate having to unfold 8 feet of material to get at one disc. Slimpacks make getting the disc easier where I do not need 8 feet of empty floor space.

If I feel it becomes a problem, I usually just remove the disc and have it in a jewel case. I had to do it with my The Evil Dead book of the dead (seriously, who keeps their dvd in that plastic bag thing anyway?) and Evil Dead 2 limited tin.

I am all against this idea of uniform, though.

General_Grievous
02-08-2005, 07:54 PM
You know what makes me angry about DVD packaging now? Warner Bros. and Dreamworks now only manufacture DVDs with a new form of snapcases. They look like ordinary DVD cases, but on the side, there are two little latches that you first must open in order to open the case. For examples of this, just look at the DVDs of "Shrek 2" and "Anchorman". It is extremely annoying! :mad:

Rocketboy
02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Those extra locks really tick me off! Especially when you forget or don't notice them. You almost rip the darn case in half!

2-1B
02-09-2005, 03:18 AM
Those locks don't bother me one bit - I tear them off the moment I unwrap the product.

Jaymz, what about Day of the Dead ? I love that packaging but I don't like the idea of pulling on that velcro all the time. It won't be an issue for too many future buyers because the keepcase editions are now all over the place.

Believe me, when it comes to this goofy and delicate (though admittedly cool) packaging, I USED TO store the contents of the box sets in separate jewel cases but after awhile it got to be so common, so frequent, that I then had to worry about where the hell I was going with all those jewel cases. :rolleyes:

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Day I do not like too much. Especially the fact that the damn book thing just sits in there loose. What is that about?

I never had issue with pulling the velcro Bub head. I do not like the way the cardboard edges on the bottom of the package rub the shelf I keep it on. So now I have a special way I pull Day off the shelf.

Jayspawn
02-09-2005, 10:24 AM
I prefer the standard plastic, snap cases for single or 2-disc sets. But the slim, narrow cases work better for boxed sets (like The Godfather and Matrix Trilogys).

The cardboard slipcovers for plastic DVDs seem to be popular now, they come on all Disney movies as well as like Dodgeball and Ray to name a few. But I think they're fine.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I prefer the standard plastic, snap cases for single or 2-disc sets. But the slim, narrow cases work better for boxed sets (like The Godfather and Matrix Trilogys).

Yeah, that's pretty much how I look at it too. The LOTR EE sets I think are just great looking and do a good job making my collection look classy.

I totally hate the newer 2-snap cases. What are they trying to do, childprood them? Plus, every movie I've bought with that type of case does not come with the little booklet. What's up with that? I love those little booklets. How am I to know what the chapter names are without putting the disc in the drive? :confused: :) Hell, I might as well save some shelf space, throw away the whole case and keep the disc in a wallet.

mrmiller
02-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes, they are childproofing them. If you had a 2 year old that brings you the DVD out of it's case and covered with fingerprints you'd appreciate it. I mean, how difficult is it to open the 2 tabs? I wish all the Disney movies would be like that, because I know my kid is going to ruin them and then the movie will be in the "vault" for 10 years so I'll have to resort to a $50 eBay copy. I'd just put them on a high shelf, but then my 5 year old (who can handle them correctly) would not be able to get them. Plus the tabs can be torn off if you want, and it's like a regular DVD case.

But I do like many of the box sets and the different layouts. As long as the heep the height the same to fit on my bookself, I'm cool with the rest of it.

=MATT=

2-1B
02-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I never had issue with pulling the velcro Bub head.

Visually, I think it's a great case. I just the fear the day that the thing tears off wherever the velcro is glued. :D

General_Grievous
02-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Yes, they are childproofing them. If you had a 2 year old that brings you the DVD out of it's case and covered with fingerprints you'd appreciate it. I mean, how difficult is it to open the 2 tabs?

It's pointless. 2-year olds can get into those cases, too. Plus, with those, there are no inserts that list the chapters, like Mandalorian Candidat said. And to add more, my Animal House DVD came with those stupid tabs. Why would they child-proof a DVD of an R-rated movie?:confused: I just hope that only Warner and Dreamworks are doing this, and it doesn't expand to the other companies.

Ric Olie
02-09-2005, 04:55 PM
The Sky Captain dvd from Paramont has those stupid tabs on the side of the case.

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
From what I have read, those two tabs are to prevent people from sliding the dvd disc out of the bottom of the case in an attempt to steal the disc. Now the thief has more work to do than just slicing open the plastic wrap and sliding out the disc.

Just another theft prevention method we are left to deal with because some people are too lazy or stupid to get an honest job.

2-1B
02-09-2005, 06:51 PM
I assumed the tabs were an anti-theft device, as well.

I wouldn't even want a stolen disc like that, I would need the complete packaging to go with it. :D

JediTricks
02-09-2005, 07:53 PM
You know what makes me angry about DVD packaging now? Warner Bros. and Dreamworks now only manufacture DVDs with a new form of snapcases. They look like ordinary DVD cases, but on the side, there are two little latches that you first must open in order to open the case. For examples of this, just look at the DVDs of "Shrek 2" and "Anchorman". It is extremely annoying! :mad:
Aren't you supposed to twist those off? The only time I ever encountered them, I noticed they had text that said to remove 'em.

As for boxsets, I like the smaller packaging, but it does depend on the specific contents as some movies work better with bigger boxes than others. I kinda hate the LOTR:EE packaging though where you unroll it to get at all the discs, I bought the EEs of FOTR and TTT at the same time and BOTH had defective discs inside due to the oddball nature of the packaging.

General_Grievous
02-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks, JT. I thought that if I snapped those off, it would damage the case, but it didn't. :)

JediTricks
02-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Glad it worked out. Did they have the text 'em or a little graphic?

El Chuxter
02-10-2005, 12:01 PM
I've seen those tabs on several DVDs, and both Sky Captain and The Village had big red stickers instructing me to twist them off. I'd rather have the 0.005 seconds of inconvienence than two jagged plastic edges to deal with, thankyaverymuch.

General_Grievous
02-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Mine had no stickers on it.

2-1B
02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
I've seen those tabs on several DVDs, and both Sky Captain and The Village had big red stickers instructing me to twist them off. I'd rather have the 0.005 seconds of inconvienence than two jagged plastic edges to deal with, thankyaverymuch.

It's only jagged plastic if you pop them off wrong. :D

And 0.005 seconds isn't long but after you watch a DVD a few million times, it sure adds up to wasted time ! :crazed:

Rocketboy
02-10-2005, 10:32 PM
I've never seen any sticker or text indicating that they could be easily torn off.
But I'm glad they can!

UKWildcat
07-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I actually leave the little plastic tabs/locks on my dvd cases. Not quite sure why. I think it's because the case will look more complete with them on there than having two pieces missing.

darthvyn
07-20-2006, 11:07 AM
i'm torn because i spent a lot of time and money picking up the x-files boxsets (the old huge foldouts) for at least $110 each, and now they're out in the slimcase boxsets (about half as wide) for $60 or $50 each...

okay, so maybe i'm not torn... more ****ed than anything else...

UKWildcat
07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
I was actually fortunate enough to pick up the older style larger X-Files sets at Costco for around $43 each. I can't say that I feel your pain Darthvyn, but I completely understand it. A lot of people were upset and ticked off who paid the original costs of over $100 each. I do much prefer the older style set than the new skinny carp that is out now though.

2-1B
07-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Deadwood season 2 came out awhile back and yeah, it's a cool package but sure enough I opened it up and there was a tear in the cardboard inside. :rolleyes:

I just prefer plastic keepcases because they are more durable. What's with all this foldout ****? Just give me something I don't have to be so ginger with and obsessive when it comes to other people wanting to open them. :)

UKWildcat
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't mind the foldout stuff although I think the one for the Alien Quadrilogy is a little much. It is pretty durable as long as you are careful with it; I've never had a problem...yet. I don't mind the slimcases as they are nice because of the room that they save.

I don't let people open and touch my dvds. I have little signs and stickers everywhere that say "DO NOT TOUCH". ;) lol