PDA

View Full Version : ROTS: Anakin's Starfighter

JEDIpartner
02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
First of all, let's talk box here. It is VERY impressive looking. It is almost understated and classy. It really looks handsome and collectible on the shelves next to packages of all colours. I really like this one the best out of all the varietys that have been issued in the modern line (retro OTC stuff notwithstanding).

Okay... here's the poop on the toy. It's a nice little fighter. You've seen the pictures for the last couple of months, so you know what it it looks like. No surprises in the mould.

There is some fair paint deco on the piece itself. It looks a little drab but we are getting into the more utilitarian construction of the Galactic Wartime ships of the OT. There is no paint deco or sculpting on the torso of Artoo. The body details come courtesy of a couple of decals that must be applied by the buyer. It's a little reminiscent of the vintage days, but this time they bothered to use something that looks like an actual photo of Artoo's body than just a simple drawing. I'm not sure how I feel about it as it looks like a decal.

The other insignias and markins are also decals. We're pretty much used to that. There is the standard black smear deco of carbon scoring and such on the body, however, the underside of the ship is virtually spotless. That's a problem. The folks at Hasbro give you a whole slew of decals (blaster hits and such) that you can pretty much apply as you see fit. Still... they are decals and not paint. BIG minus.

The tips of the leading edge of the ship are rubbery and tend to sag a little bit. Connected to those pieces are the main guns, which are also rubbery and carry absolutely no sculpting on the underside. Another minus.

The landing great folds out in a standard fashion. There are no surprises or new innovations there. They don't retract as fully as they did on the original Jedi Starfighter, but it's sufficient.

Between the two engines is a button that, when depressed, deploys the solar panels. The panels lock firmly back into place with no issues of popping back up. I was happy with that.

The cockpit is large and nicely detailed. Again, you need to flesh out the inside with decals. Standard fare but I think that there will be no problem getting the figures inside this one.

In summary: Packaging A+ The actual Toy B

JEDIpartner
02-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Anyone else get this and want to throw in their two cents?

jedi master sal
02-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Much of my review will parallel JEDIpartnr's but here goes.

First let me say that the box design is awesome. I don't think we'll get too bored of the fiery colors to soon. I thought it strange that a "Sneak Preview" sticker was slapped on the bo. Yeah it is a sneak preview item, I just don't recall seeing any pictures of the box before this point having the sticker on it.

Anyway, the toy is pretty cool. It does seem a little strange to me I can see where they were trying to incorporate elements of both the AOTC Jedi Starfighter and the TIE fighter, but it still seems to be a further advanced ship than the TIE. Ah, well, it still looks cool. One odd thing is that when turn over to examine the underbody, you'll notice that for whatever reason the guns have no detail. To boot these parts are rubbery as well as the front 1/4 inch or so of the ship. I'm sure safety was in mind for the front of the ship, but why the guns?

There's a button between the two engines that activate the wings and a button to either rear of the wings that launches a missle that you insert near the middle portion of the wings.

Faux R2

The Faux R2 unit can be taken out and you can insert a different R2 if you so desire, or so it says. I tried fitting the preview fig and it was no dice. It fit part of the way but was sticking out way to far to look correct. it may have been the "wire" near the feet of the fig that got in the way, but it seems that no R2 will fit in there well enough. One problem is that there is a small tab that juts out from the back of the Droid well that inhibits the legs. I suppose it you wanted to sand those off you could and might be able to fit a droid in better. Another problem with this droid well is that it is on an angle so that the left side as you look at it is lower than the right. Bah, I think most people will just keep the part that's in ther and be done with it. Which brings me to my next part of the review.

Stickers.

There's a large amount of stickers for such a small ship. two of whic are for the faux R2 droid. They look good but are stickers nonetheless. Many of the other stickers are battle damage stickers. So you have a choice in how damaged you want yours to look. Persoanlly I think there's enough paint applied battle damage that the additional stickers are not needed. besides if Anakin is supposed to be as hot a pilot as he's touted to be, his ship should be relatively spotless anyway, right?
There's several stickers for control panels to be placed in the cockpit.

Cockpit

Here's one part of the ship that seems to have been done well. One word-Roomy! This is one cockpit that you can fit just about any normal sized fig into.

Mechanics.

This IMO is a decently designed ship. The hinges for the wings and cockpit have been well integrated and do not intrude upon or take away from the design. The landing gear nestles in it's well fine and is a simple design.

Final thoughts.
Aside from the fact that this doesn't yet feel like a Star Wars ship to me, it's a good design, solidly built and has a high playability factor.

I'd rate this 4.5 out of 5 Holocrons.

-Sal

General_Grievous
02-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Is the droid that comes with the starfighter R2-D2 or just some random R2 unit?

Joshkj
02-13-2005, 06:52 PM
I haventt taken mine out of the box... it looks so cool with all my other MOC priview figs

Fluke Skywalker
02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
I echo the sentiments on the box. I searched the whole shelf looking for the best condition I could find. (I carefully remove the ship from the box and keep it for display).

The design of the ship itself is great. It looks like the natural evolution from the Jedi Starfighter in AotC. It also bridges the gap between Ep III and IV. The thing I noticed is that it looks better with the 'Wings' deployed. It gives it a greater distinction from the AotC version.

The R2 unit is pretty lame. It does detract from the look a bit, but not too much. The paint deco is OK, nothing to complain about. I haven't applied the stickers yet, but they look at least as good as the AotC ones did.

I was also happy that the price point didn't jump up. I actually got mine for $16.99, but the regular retail was $19.99.

Overall a nice ship. I would reccomend it. The big question is, since it appears that the Obi-Wan version is basically the same but a different color... will I be getting that one too? (Or, which looks better. Yellow or Rust red? I'd say Yellow, as it is less like the AotC version)

Over all score - 8.5/10

Darth Alex
02-14-2005, 03:40 PM
First off,it's nice to see us finally getting this ship. I ordered mine off of Amazon on Friday, about 2:00PM and I got mine today about the same time. I usually debate if I should pay the extra for shipping, but I'm tired of waiting for something that should have been out on 2/1....and it's doubtful that NE PA will get it this week from the store clerks' info...
Anyway, great packaging. No film "shots" on it and the SNEAK PREVIEW type looks a little strange, but it's very solid looking, a little bit of spoiler info about the beginning of ROTS on the back for you spoiler virgins, and a really well packed box inside. The inner packing holds the ship tight, one has to look around a bit for the missles, and the obligatory instruction-catalog-stickers are also packed in.
The overall design of the ship is very cool...not too huge, not too small. I'm not going to type dozens of lines here, everyone else that's posted has very accuarte reviews. Here's just a couple of things I noticed:
The R2 slot is an inch to almost an inch and a half deep...VOTC R2 and the new R4 Sneak Peek don't fit great. Older R2s fit well, especially if the 3rd leg isn't sticking out. I do like the R2 plug in, I think the stickers for the front and back of R2 really jazz him up! I also like that you can pull out the piece for play value or a diorama where Ani and R2 are roaming around.The cockpit, while nicely detailed, is a real pain to sticker(get out the tweezers!) and I can fit not a single Anakin inside. Tatooine ambush, Hanger Duel, Secret Ceremony(no cloak), not one. Sal is right though, most other figures(Biggs- Xwing Luke- even TIE pilot) fit. This is one time I would've liked to have gotten a VOTC style Anakin pilot.
The landing gear pass inspection, they even open at an angle simialr to the ship's sides....the missles are cool, they look like part of the ship and fire well(it would have been nice to see the missle's concealed part in the ship have a flame burst look to them, but I'm not gonna get too pciky and retentive here.
Again the stickers are a pain..the smaller ones, but I do like that there are enough stickers to do some real customizing.
Overall I'd give it a 5 outta 5. Perfect for my "needs". The design is really cool, the way the wings pop out. The cockpit is really well done, although if I was the size of a figure I'd have a hard time seeing out of the design of the "front" window with so many Republic spokes.

The last thing I'll point out is how badly the ball was dropped on the release of this ship. With every single SW collecting site pimpin this ride since late last year, as well as the SW Insider mag, one EXPECTS to see it come out on time. Hasbro, when I called em and gave them the UPC today, said it's out in March and were a little confused as to how it's out. Cute, huh. When I found out this wasn't out on 2/1, I was a little jazzed up over it.
I can only hope that things come out timely this year and that whatever we're getting in the 4th quarter actually shows UP in 2005.

'Nuff said.
Good luck on finding it, and congrats to those that did:p

jedi master sal
02-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, I can tell you and everyone else, get ready for the flood...

When I was at one of my local TRUs (before I got the ship), I asked for it's whereabouts. I was told that the warehouse had just gotten in 456 of them (IIRC). I was further told these would hit stores within the week. Their SKU number for the item is 061066. (Ask for it by number and you'll get a quicker and more accurate response). Now that was for the Soutwestern Pennsylvania area alone, but you can bet everywhere else will get them soon too.

-Sal

JEDIpartner
02-15-2005, 09:26 AM
These are showing up everywhere now. Not to worry, kids.

seanmcfripp
02-15-2005, 04:27 PM
...and I can fit not a single Anakin inside. Tatooine ambush, Hanger Duel, Secret Ceremony(no cloak), not one.

There is technically one Anakin that fits great...VOTC Vader! Pop him in and you'll see what I mean. He looks pretty darned spiffy behind the controls if you ask me.

It's obvious that none of the Collection 1 Obi-wans or Anakins are going to fit in the cockpit, as none of them have soft goods tunics below the belt. Let's just hope that the pilot Obi-wan later in the line is up to snuff.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-18-2005, 07:01 PM
I got this today, it's pretty cool. I got Secret Ceremony Anakin to fit in there just fine, but I can't get any R2-D2s to fit in there! Oh well, the one included is okay. Not great, but okay. The use of stickers was odd, but kind of cool-looking.

Joshkj
02-18-2005, 08:28 PM
I opennd mine, going away from my striickt MOC collection, i am very happy. Im surre the ROTS R2 wiill fit in it,,, hopefullly.

JEDIpartner
03-17-2005, 12:12 PM
I picked up the Obi-Wan starfighter today. It's the same sculpt as the Anakin one but I do have to say that the colouring on this one is superior to the other. The dark maroon and grey just makes it look really tough. The gold trim on the seat realy stands out when you look at the dark ship. VERY nice!!!

Obi-wedge
04-10-2005, 04:18 PM
I got Obi-wans today. I had been debating it for a week or so. I took it out of the box and only used the droid stickers...saved the rest in case they were needed for another project. I created my own battle damage with some crushed up match head tips. The sulfer burns quite nice and fast with little mess This seemed to work well in creating blast marks. I wanted to see the effect before I invested in a gunship to do this too. I was quite happy with the results.

happy burning to you all

Old Fossil
05-07-2005, 11:26 PM
I picked up the Obi-Wan starfighter today. It's the same sculpt as the Anakin one but I do have to say that the colouring on this one is superior to the other. The dark maroon and grey just makes it look really tough. The gold trim on the seat realy stands out when you look at the dark ship. VERY nice!!!

This is one of the coolest ships to come down the pike in a long time! I can't stop fiddling with this thing... popping the wings open, zooming around the room like I was 10 again. :crazed: I put the Clone Wars Saesee Tiin Pilot in mine. Outstanding!!! Love the do-it-yourself battle damage stickers. I only wish you could put any old R2 unit into the socket, like the instructions say you can. :dis:

JEDIpartner
05-10-2005, 05:23 PM
I only wish you could put any old R2 unit into the socket, like the instructions say you can. :dis:

Yeah... they pretty much lied about that, didn't they.

Jayspawn
10-22-2005, 11:26 PM
I finally picked up an Anakin Starfighter tonight at Target. It was on sale and I've been wanting one anyways. I'm puttin on the stickers now (which I love doing!), but I think the ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan Starfighters are one of the best toys Hasbro has ever put out. They look awesome and are fun to play with.

The opening of Revenge of the Sith was great. Anakin and Obi-Wan's planes are some of my favorite ships in Star Wars
I have not tried any of the Anakins yet. I tried a few astromechs with no luck. But I have a whole bunch I can try.

JediTricks
10-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Don't bother, none of the astromech figures fit right, even when you get their feet and bodies in all the way (very difficult) the fig sticks way out because the legs are too long.

Jayspawn
10-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Haha, I gave up last night. The R2 & R4 they both come with will suffice.