PDA

View Full Version : Review of cloaked ROTS Anakin figure

ethansports
02-10-2005, 05:44 PM
I just received this figure off of ebay, the cloaked ROTS Anakin with the disturbed-looking eyes. Let me just say, I truly hope the Coll. 1 Asst. 1 Figure is better than this one.

If you like to keep your figures inside the card, I highly suggest you do so with this figure. He is total and utter crap outside of the card. Let me explain why.

Articulation: 2 out of 5
This figure sucks articulation-wise. His legs are so stiff he cannot stand up on his own, with or without the cloak. His legs are also too short and his chest is too big, reminding me of one of the first POTF Luke Skywalker figures. The only reason I'm not giving this figure a 1 out of 5 for articulation is because he has ball-jointed shoulders, which I guess are all right.

Likeness: 1 out of 5
I compared the Secret Ceremony Anakin to this one, and was surprised by how much better likeness Secret Ceremony Anakin has. The dark "disturbing" circles around his eyes look kind of dumb, as if he got 2 black eyes.

Accessories: 4 out of 5
This is one of the few good things about the figure. The cloak is removable, and quite durable, so I put it on SC Anakin. The lightsaber is pretty sturdy too.

Paint: 5 out of 5
Good paint job, besides the eyes. I like the look of the clothing.

Packaging: 5 out of 5
I love the packaging. Once again, I insist, if you're going to buy this figure, keep it in the packaging because it looks a lot cooler. I am usually one to take the figures out and play with them/display them, and this is one of the few that I regret opening.

Overall: 2 out of 5
I seriously hope that the Coll. 1 Asst. 1 Anakin is a lot better than this one.

Thoughts?

Fluke Skywalker
02-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Wow, that's disappointing news ES. I thought that the second Anakin would have been more articulated than that. At first blush he looked better than the Action feature Anakin being released this April. I am a Keep on carder, but I do buy some doubles for dioramas. This was going to be that Anakin :(

AmanaMatt
02-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Why do all initial Coll I & II lines from Hasbro suck most of the time?

Most of the line looks 'eh' to me...so far, I will be picking up around 5 - 8 figs from the look of most.

ethansports
02-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, don't be fooled by the appearance of this figure. I, however, am especially looking forward to Coll. 1 Asst. 1 Anakin. He looks better than this one is. I'm also looking forward to Coll. and Asst 1 Obi-Wan, Grievous, Yoda, Vader, Clone Trooper, and Grievous's Bodyguard. Coll. 1 Asst. 1 Palpatine looks kinda iffy...I'll have to wait and see.

Devo
02-11-2005, 07:32 AM
The figures looked great on the cardbacks but I bet a lot of them are going to be crap in person. Just like prequel collectors are still waiting for a decent EpII Obi wan over 3 years later you might be left waiting for good all-round Ep III core character sculpts.

Secret ceremony Anakin seems to be liked on this site and I can't fathom why. Maybe its just the particular one I got back when I was still collecting PT stuff but its horrible. The legs look awkward with those silly ankle joints, no realistic pose is achievabe because the way the knees are bent look at odds with any of the positions you put his feet in. His head looks ridiculous, his hair is an afro, the likeness is quite underwhelming and the cloak is inappropriately billowing. Why make this the 'wedding' figure, the pose, cloak and facial expression should have been completely neutral. And the paintjob on mine is the sloppiest I've ever encountered in a star wars figure.

JEDIpartner
02-11-2005, 07:37 AM
I think Anakin actually has those "black eyes" in the film...

Droid
02-11-2005, 08:50 AM
I think Anakin actually has those "black eyes" in the film...

Well THAT's something to look forward to. "He's turning evil. Better make sure he looks silly!" :frus:

Kidhuman
02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Makes me glad I am a carded collector.

StarmanSkywalker
02-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Can the one who obtained the figure please post detailed pictures? That would be very kind.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Makes me glad I am a carded collector.

I was messing around with one of my preview figures last night trying to see if I could get it off the card without jacking up the bubble or the card. If you just slice the tape holding the wrap-around tabs onto the card with a razor blade then cut between the bubble and card along the bottom, you can get the bubble off the card enough to slide out the insert with the figure. If it sucks to pose, yet is cool to have, you can just stick it back in and tape it up and it's pretty much the same as new.

Assuming of course that the actual EP3 packaging is the same as the preview figures.

Tycho
02-11-2005, 02:05 PM
His legs are also too short and his chest is too big,

Maybe so he'll fit in the Jedi Starfighter?

I just got mine and took a comparison shot of my new Starfighter next to Obi-Wan's from AOTC. It's posted in the Jedi Starfighter thread.

And you'll not from my picture that I could NOT fit the '02 Hanger Duel Anakin in the cockpit. He's too tall. Another one of Hasbro's figure and vehicle makers' size difficulties. If they worked it out this time, they did so by making Anakin shorter on that figure.