PDA

View Full Version : Articulation

crossfire
01-03-2002, 12:55 PM
Dear Hasbro,

The articulation on your Star Wars: Power of the Jedi (3 3/4) line needs improvement. I am sure you have heard this before, and you have been getting better, but you seem to be going backwards again. The legs on your newest figured allow for one pose. Collectors and Kids both enjoy being able to pose the figures in various ways. My suggestion is to use your new GI Joe (3 3/4) bodies on future figures. I just bought the Snake-Eyes Vs. Stormshadow set and it was $7.76. At the same time I bought Eeth Koth he was $6.44. So cost should not be an issue.
The new Joes are very nicely detailed while at the same time being poseable (although Snake-Eyes's legs need work). If you were to incorporate this body into the SW:POTJ line, both kids and collectors would be happy. Thank you for your time.

Rollo Tomassi
01-03-2002, 02:55 PM
has everyone been noticing smaller and smaller Star Wars sections at their local retailers? Some places, like some Wal-Marts have done away with their SW sections altogether. Are the retailers trying to collectively tell Hasbro and SW that $7 and $8 dollar figures are unnaceptable and that other toy companies are offering better merchandise for lower cost and if they want to get back in the toy game they can improve their merchandise to a standard that reflects paying $7 for a tiny 4" figure or they can lower their prices down to a more reasonable amount, because merely counting on the brand name of Star Wars to justify astronomical prices is unnacceptable.

If this is the case, do you applaud the retailers for taking a stand even if it means it's harder for you to find the figures, or would you rather they just cave and order tons of SW merchandise, so you can get your figures at exorbitant prices and the retailer has to eat the leftovers?

crossfire
01-03-2002, 03:53 PM
I agree with you, for only $1.32 more I got 2 action figures when a lot of the time I pay an extreme price for a hunk of plastic, that looks okay in one position. Yeah the Star Wars name sells but with the amount of product that will accompany Episode 2, At current prices I will not be able to buy a lot of it. If they were actually Articulated so that they were indeed action figures I might not be so unhappy about higher prices. GI Joe and Star Wars are both made by the same company it sucks that one is so much more expensive. When I bought the Joes they also had the Silver anniversary sets they were $14.99, in my opinion they should be closer to $10. I am real close to swearing off Star Wars as to costly for what I get.

Darth Evil
01-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Only one shop near me has any SW section.

Obi-Don
01-04-2002, 01:44 AM
Stores like us are are the buyers and the only way to let the co. know what we want is to tell[if they will listen].Yes to wanting the store to have a big stock of sw stuff.No to the store haveing to eat what doesn't sell because they will stop selling the product if they have a lot of stock left over.I don't have a problem with the sw line as it was. Didn't even mind the price of the figure around 7 to 8 dollars. I do mind paying that much for a figure that has only one pose. If they can make figures like the Joes thay can make the SW figures the same way and may find that thier sales just might go up. The hard part in all of this is getting Hasbro to listen.

Jayspawn
01-04-2002, 02:10 AM
The stores need bigger Star Wars sections and MORE Star Wars!

Jayspawn
01-04-2002, 02:12 AM
Oh yes, and articulation does need improving.

JediTricks
01-04-2002, 05:02 AM
The articulation situation is becoming unacceptable IMO, I hate these overposed, underarticulated figures coming out. Make a neutral pose, add quality articulation, and let us decide what poses work best!

JediKnightBai
01-05-2002, 10:04 PM
Basically,I think we need a neutral pose of the POTF line,but with
good enough articulation to pose them in ways that we want them.

Yes?No?To this.Its basically an idea of what I would like to see.

GNT
01-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by crossfire
GI Joe and Star Wars are both made by the same company it sucks that one is so much more expensive. When I bought the Joes they also had the Silver anniversary sets they were $14.99, in my opinion they should be closer to $10

As someone said(?) Hasbro doesnt have to pay anyone for the rights to produce GIJOES figures(cause they own it),unlike Star Wars Hasbro has to pay Lucasfilm the rights to produce Star Wars figures so Hasbo is trying to get some of its money back :)

darth chuck
01-05-2002, 11:19 PM
Retailers don't care how much figures sell for, as long as they sell. I would imagine that most retailers would have no problem selling star wars figures at $20 a pop, if the figures continued to sell in a quantity that allowed them to increase their profit margins from where they are now.

Collectors were hurt by the overproduction of Ep I product because many large scale retailers could not sell the vast amount of product they had ordered. This lead to reduced orders and smaller quantities available, which in turn lead to the small scale retailers/scalpers who defaulted to the paragraph above.

As for how much more it costs to produce an articulated figure vs a more traditional figure with just five points of articulation, I don't know. It would seem to be more expensive. But, to characterize it as a tradeoff between collectors and kids is, IMO, inaccurate. Even as a boy, I remember the fun of posing my GI Joe figures and the lack of articulation of my vintage star wars figs. But, if we can't have articulation, then for crying out loud, make figures in neutral poses like the vintage, otherwise they statues, not action figures.

JEDIpartner
01-07-2002, 10:08 AM
First of all, I'd like to address the price point issue. As GNT was so kind to remind us, the reason the prices are what they are is because Hasbro has to pay a licensing fee back to Lucasfilm. The more "in demand" a product name is, the higher the dollar value. Take, for example, the advertising costs during Super Bowl broacasts. Advertisers will pay an enormously inflated price to have their product advertised during the game because they they know there is a large audience and therefore a potential to sell. The same goes with Lucasfilm and the STAR WARS "brand name". Lucasfilm is aware of the popularity of the franchise and therefore can demand X-odd dollars for the name and images to be reproduced by Hasbro.

Now comes the articulation problem. As we have discussed in the new poll, manufacturers seem to be more interested in bringing us pieces of art directly from the films (whether it is this one, The Matrix, Spawn or what have you). This, unfortunately, removes the "toy" aspect of the figure. While manufacturers like McFarlane excel with the highly detailed figurines of various films, these figurines are taken from more cult-type films or films that were geared more to the adult market. STAR WARS is more of a mass appeal market and Hasbro seems to be forgetting this. Hasbro forgets that children (and some of us adults) like to create their own adventures and situations. I would LOVE to have Boba Fett be captured by the Rebel Alliance and have him escape in a stolen X-Wing, for example. The only problem is, if I only have the 300th Edition Boba Fett, I will never be able to do that. Unless Hasbro resculpts Eeth Koth, I will never be able to have him sit on the Jedi council alongside Mace Windu, Yoda, Plo Koon or any of the others. I think that adding artulation as they have with their G.I. Joe series would be great and seeing that they can produce these very durable figures for the price they do, $7-$8 per figure should not diminish their ability to recoup the licensing fees they have to pay out to Lucasfilm for each figure.

PLEASE hear our voices Hasbro. Please turn these little marvels you are creating back into toys for us to enjoy.

El Chuxter
01-11-2002, 07:25 PM
This discussion about the articulation or lack thereof in the latest POTJ figures and presumbaly the AOTC figures has reminded me of the excitement I felt about the articulation in Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon on May 3, 1999.

Does anyone else remember the Jedi articulation? CommTechs weren't the only new and "great" thing. Hasbro made a huge deal about all future Jedi figures having increased articulation so as to be able to hold their lightsabers in almost any pose, one-handed or two-handed.

And apparently it only applied to these three figures. Lesser variations of this theme have been seen sporadically since, especially on Darth Vader figures.

Come on, Hasbro. What gives?

Darth Evil
01-12-2002, 04:59 PM
I was disappointed by the lack of two handed lightsaber figures too, when I first got the E1 figures I thought that this was the beginning of a new era in Star Wars figures, unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. :(

LTBasker
01-12-2002, 05:37 PM
*Looks back and forth from CTC Stormtrooper to POTJ Biker Scout* Any more cases need resting? :D

It's like the POTJ Sandtrooper, granted it's supposed to be scene specific but it looks like a frickin mobster holding a 6-shooter when the trooper is trying to hold his blaster, we couldn't get a little more articulation even when they didn't have to make a new mold?

Hasbro, people in general (collectors, adverage buyer, etc.) DON'T want statues when they're buying ACTION over-priced figures. From the looks of the AOTC figures they should only be $4.

JEDIpartner
01-15-2002, 10:12 AM
Well... from what we have seen of the new figures... we have traded articulation for gimmicks. Instead of the "two-handed" lightsaber grip, we get magnets in the hands. Whoopy-poop! Instead of articulation in the legs, we get twisty-waist pop-up arm. Instead of cloth accessories (like capes and ponchos), we get plastic capes, candy blaster bolts and lightsaber flashes. On top of all this, we get less accurate scale and more limiting pack-in garbage. I'm so happy I could crap. :frus:

InsaneJediGirl
01-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Are the magents in the hand supposed to "hold" the weapons easier?Other than that,I see no reason to put magents in the hands.Well,Hasbro,Forget the magents and just make the figures
better scuplted and articulated.

GNT
01-17-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Are the magents in the hand supposed to "hold" the weapons easier?Other than that,I see no reason to put magents in the hands.Well,Hasbro,Forget the magents and just make the figures
better scuplted and articulated.

The new magnetic features which allows a "Force Power" like action. With Anakin you place his hand over the container and it opens with Obi it helps him grab the Droid :)

InsaneJediGirl
01-17-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by GNT
The new magnetic features which allows a "Force Power" like action.

Oh.I see now!How...interesting?

Dryanta
01-17-2002, 01:03 PM
The G.I.Joe line is a perfect example of how Star Wars figures should be.I have heard that mister Lucus now owns 10% of Hasbro,If this is the case how much can licensing possibly cost?
I know as well that the new Joes aren't really new.Same twenty year old molds.Which in fact makes the Staw Wars stuff look even worse.Can't wait for the truly new Joes this month,by the way

JediTricks
01-18-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Dryanta
The G.I.Joe line is a perfect example of how Star Wars figures should be.I have heard that mister Lucus now owns 10% of Hasbro,If this is the case how much can licensing possibly cost?
I know as well that the new Joes aren't really new.Same twenty year old molds.Which in fact makes the Staw Wars stuff look even worse.Can't wait for the truly new Joes this month,by the way I have heard Lucas' interest in Hasbro is lower than 4% and Hasbro had to pay that to renew the license, along with some huge amount of cash (like $500 mil for 8 years or something).

As for the new Joes, the ones that just came out are all new bodies with SW articulation. I don't like 'em as much as the older JOE RAH body.

DagMarus
01-25-2002, 12:52 AM
Want to know how bad things are at MY local TRU? Their entire bulk of SW merchandise is one one of those Island shelves, separate from the main ones. And I dont mean a BIG island. We're talking Herve Villchais here. We're talking FIVE THINGS!!!!!

El Chuxter
01-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by DagMarus
Want to know how bad things are at MY local TRU? Their entire bulk of SW merchandise is one one of those Island shelves, separate from the main ones. And I dont mean a BIG island. We're talking Herve Villchais here. We're talking FIVE THINGS!!!!!

I regularly (every couple of weeks) visit five--okay, four, since one just closed--TRU's in my area, and that's (unfortunately) a pretty standard average from what I've seen. There are a couple that have nothing, save maybe a TIE Interceptor with the pilot taken out.

Rollo Tomassi
01-26-2002, 01:49 PM
What the...?!?! HEY! Eeth Koth doesn't fit in my X-Wing cockpit...what gives??

browndroid
01-26-2002, 03:30 PM
yeah i remember playin with gi joes when i was like 4, i like how they can move around, if they did that to sw figs i would buy em up, of course even if they dont i'll still buy them up. thats what i get for bein a sw freak:rolleyes:

Eternal Padawan
06-21-2002, 10:08 AM
When I see the articulation in other toy lines (especially Toybiz's LOTR ans Marvel:Legends lines) I cringe at what Hasbro is producing for the SW line. I keep going back to Shaak-Ti and her one pose articulation. Sure, she has more articulation points, but if you move her out of that pose she just looks ridiculous. Even my new Scourge figure from Transfomers:RID has more articulation! Transformers people! The toyline famous for "feet" that were just a big chunk of plastic the figure stood on.

Hasbro. PLEASE put plenty of articulation in your Star Wars figures. Let US pose the figures the way WE want them posed.

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 04:14 AM
And Scourge is a figure from a decade ago!!!

Jargo
06-22-2002, 06:19 AM
Ah, articulation. I see it this way - necks should have the standard sideways rotation plus the forward back movement they gave the commtech stormtrooper. Shoulders should be ball jointed. Arms should have the bicep cut as standard and where possible elbow articulation too and wrist articulation. Waist articulation is fine as it is and hip articulation should be standard, none of this missing it off to achieve a pre-pose.
All the figures should have knees, whether that's like the RF trooper and the whole leg swivels round or the pivot joint that's more common. Ankle articulation on troopers is a must to achieve kneeling poses.
For what we pay I'd expect this. I'd rather sacrifice pack in crud to get this articulation and get the accessories packed seperately. The one pose wonders may look pretty in a glass case display but are useless for anything else. I want to decide how my figures are posed and articulation is the only way that's going to happen.

JediTricks
06-25-2002, 12:41 AM
Wrist articulation is actually my most-wanted new point of articulation. The more Hasbro uses it, the more I want to see it more often. I want to see it all, but wrists come first IMO.

Laserbrain
07-02-2002, 01:37 PM
You guys are forgeting one thing, that among collectors you're considered the minority. The problem is stigma. Popular media portrays all collectors to be grotesque, obsessive compulsive freaks who spend all their disablity funds on MOC figures in some grand scheme to turn their parent's basement into some kind of toystore fantasyland.

As long as Hasbro uses third party polls that buy into that belief they will expect us to go insane over utter crap.