PDA

View Full Version : Funny made-up words

JON9000
02-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Have you invented any words for things that have no simple word to describe them? Or perhaps a simple expression you made up?

I made up the word "Farg". It's what results when you let one go in the shower. Please visualize Pigpen from peanuts and the little cloud that hangs about him. :eek:

Anyhoo- do you have any?

Slicker
02-11-2005, 08:29 PM
You know what me and my friend made up a word. It's SUPERBALOCIOUS. It's when your pants get stuck behind the tongue of your shoes. I don't know how it got started but I use it this day.

Rocketboy
02-11-2005, 10:19 PM
You know what me and my friend made up a word. It's SUPERBALOCIOUS. It's when your pants get stuck behind the tongue of your shoes. I don't know how it got started but I use it this day.That was the first thing I thought of. I still use it all the time too.

Kidhuman
02-11-2005, 10:25 PM
I have some but cant say them here. This thread has a potential to be a good one, just remember to keep it clean please.

Bobby Fett
02-11-2005, 10:35 PM
How about "fartfignewton"? It's what you do when you've had one too many cookies.

Or "difugalty"? A corroption of "difficulty".

Good grief, I've corropted curruption!

Dang, I've done it again!

kool-aid killer
02-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Ive used the word "begiddle" occasionally. Begiddle is basically the start and middle of something, but never the ending. For example, lets say you wanted to know about a particular movie, i would go about explaining it through the begiddle of the movie, but wouldnt go into the conclusion of it. Begiddle originated when i was attempting to explain what Episode 2 was like, some people were curious how it was and i meant to say, "Would you like to know the beginning or middle parts of it?" and ended up saying "Would you like to know the begiddle of it?" Hence, the creation of begiddle.

Kidhuman
02-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Iuse ookled. My mother in law hates the word fart, soI say I ookled when I am around her.

stillakid
02-12-2005, 11:31 PM
My 6 year old daughter comes up with some doosies. Her latest was: attackaling (combo of attack and tackle). It was pretty cute. :classic:

Tonysmo
02-13-2005, 12:08 AM
I just add the wrong endings to words.. like

thats the awesomest..

El Chuxter
02-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Two of the best nonsense words I ever came up with are "snigtad" and "flornbi."

2-1B
02-25-2005, 11:20 PM
"schnibbles" : those little shreddy pieces of paper left over after cutting something out with a scissors.

Hey, "shreddy": that's a new one I just made up to help define "schnibbles."

Hellboy
03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I've got some good movie theater made-up words.

"Cinedraft": That mysterious breeze that grabs your money once you slide it through the small hole in the box office window.

"Juujuu-spection": Holding your Juujuubees up to the movie screen to determine what color they are while in a darkened theater.

"Curdundancy": The pointless opening and closing of the movie screen curtain between previews and the feature presentation.

"Cinemuck": The combination of popcorn, soda and melted chocolate which covers the floors of movie theaters.

:silly:

scruffziller
03-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I made up word mutations.

"Pigs" became PLOAGLOWS or I would say "The ploaglow guys"
"Puppies" became POOPENZOOKS.
"Kitty Cats" became "KITTENKANS"
"Squirrels" became THERE-EE-IZZES, because I would always taunt the dogs by saying "THERE HE IS!!!!!!!!!!" while pointing up at the tree.

scruffziller
03-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I use ookled. My mother in law hates the word fart, soI say I ookled when I am around her.

No offense KH, but that is a really dopey sounding word(even considering this is a thread about dopey words) to substitute fart. I wonder if your mother could stomach the word that Philip Seymour Hoffman's charachter Sandy Lyle used in ALONG CAME POLLY when he told Ben Stiller that the had to leave the party, NOW!!!:D

Or I would just cop it out and say, "DARN THEM BARKING SPIDERS!!!!!!

Or if you are sitting on the floor you can say, "Them dang carpet frogs!!!!":D

Kidhuman
03-10-2005, 11:48 AM
No offense KH, but that is a really dopey sounding word(even considering this is a thread about dopey words) to substitute fart. I wonder if your mother could stomach the word that Philip Seymour Hoffman's charachter Sandy Lyle used in ALONG CAME POLLY when he told Ben Stiller that the had to leave the party, NOW!!!:D

Sharted...I love that word and use it regularly.

And ookle was the sound the fart made when it came out...:d :beard:

scruffziller
03-11-2005, 01:43 PM
And ookle was the sound the fart made when it came out...:d :beard:

OHHHHH!!!!:eek:
I stand corrected!!!!:D
It is all too clear too me now.:)

Sharted...I love that word and use it regularly.

I hope it doesn't happen regularly.......:sur:

Kidhuman
03-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I hope it doesn't happen regularly.......:sur:

Hell no it doesnt. I just love the word.

mabudonicus
03-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Snigtad and Flornbi.. damn you Chux, I tried figuring out the anagram for hours spread over weeks...... :beard:

I use a couple of made up words from time to time...
I have a good made-up french word "Fetard" pronounced "Fay-tard" it basically is a sort of curse, or can be used to describe something that's completely messed up or useless

"Fauve" (rhymes with "stove") is a term that means "enough", like a few or a couple, it is the next one up from that, like as in "parking shouldn't be too rough, I can see fauve spots from here"

And this one you need to use a "pirate voice" to say it right... "flartin ararnd the Barrrrm".... you can alternately use the word "barm" by itself, works like Fetard but you can just exclaim "arrrr, it's BARM" like that
"Flarting ararnd" in the "Barm" is when you are sort of doing something that is non-productive, like when a project gets bogged down, but you keep at it without really making any progress..... or just plain goofing off
:Pirate:

:beard:

TeeEye7
03-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I didn't make it up, that credit goes to Gary Owens (of "Laugh-In" fame for you whippersnappers), for the follwing word I've adopted into my vocabulary:

Insegrievious

It sounds learned, can be applied anywhere, and most people are too intimidated to challenge it as a real word. lol

Hellboy
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Here are a few more I find pretty funny.

Charp: The green, mutant pototo chip found in every bag.

Backspackle: Markings on the back of one's shirt when riding a fenderless bicycle.

Vacation Elbow: A condition that suddenly develops in a father's arm during a vacation trip that allowed him to reach out and slap you from incredible distances.

P-spot: The area directly above the urinal in public restrooms that men stare at, knowing a glance in any other direction would arouse suspicion.

JEDIpartner
03-23-2005, 09:02 AM
As far as I'M concerned, half of modern spoken English is full of unintentionally funny made-up words. People are so stupid and sloppy these days.

stillakid
03-23-2005, 09:18 AM
As far as I'M concerned, half of modern spoken English is full of unintentionally funny made-up words. People are so stupid and sloppy these days.

And some of them like to post at SSG. coughvtcough. :classic:

CaptainSolo1138
03-23-2005, 07:54 PM
"Gription". While I don't stake claim as to having invented this word, it's nonethless one of my favorites. A hybrid of the words "grip" and "traction". For example: "The ice is slippery! I can't get any gription!"

JEDIpartner
03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
And some of them like to post at SSG. coughvtcough. :classic:

I know THAT'S right!!! :p

Slicker
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Howza bout farticles. It's when you fart on the couch then someone goes and sits in the same spot and the little fart particles (farticles) rise and live again as a vile stench.

Kidhuman
03-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Not a made up word, but in essence of the recent NCAA TOurny and West Va player KEvin Pittsnoggle, I have started using Pittsnoggle as a word, in like you've been Pittsnoggled. Like when ya muff up...

El Chuxter
05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I've found myself saying "figlious" quite a lot lately.

Figlious = fugly + hideous
Fugly = Well, if you don't know, I ain't tellin' ya. ;)

Slicker
09-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Scrumtrulecent and splendifurious are 2 that I've been using alot lately.

2-1B
09-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Good call City Slicker, I think I recently heard Will Ferrell say Scrumtrulecent as that James Lipton guy. Too funny. lol

Kidhuman
09-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Spaztastical

Jargo
10-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Corporate speak that enters modern English usage annoys me. Like combining spacious and safe to get 'spafe'. it's not even clever it's just dumb.

One that really annoys me is the word 'discusage'. I believe a member of the US administration at a press conference used that one. dumbass.

I tend to refer to squirrels as 'skwiggles'. And my dog as a 'puppy-wulluff' (wolf)

something nice and tasty or comfortable or really pleasurable I call 'scrumlicious' (delicious and scrumptious)

when someone says something totally spot on in agreeance with me I say 'prezactly' (precisely and exactly) and it's best said in a long drawn out smug way.

JON9000
10-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Corporate speak that enters modern English usage annoys me. Like combining spacious and safe to get 'spafe'. it's not even clever it's just dumb.

One that really annoys me is the word 'discusage'. I believe a member of the US administration at a press conference used that one. dumbass.

I tend to refer to squirrels as 'skwiggles'. And my dog as a 'puppy-wulluff' (wolf)

something nice and tasty or comfortable or really pleasurable I call 'scrumlicious' (delicious and scrumptious)

when someone says something totally spot on in agreeance with me I say 'prezactly' (precisely and exactly) and it's best said in a long drawn out smug way.
There is actually a word out there that describes making a single word by combining two words. I wish I could remember it. It was a good vocab word.

thestarwarsman
10-05-2005, 05:10 PM
nurge:

To inch closer to a stoplight thinking that will cause it to change quicker.

Don't remember where heard it but used it since.

JEDIpartner
10-11-2005, 12:53 PM
"Tanorexic" - a condition people who seem to live at the beach suffer from. Generally pertains to Californians.

JimJamBonds
10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
I read this on a website and I kind of like it.... newstrusion = news intrusion.

You know how when your team plays in the 4:00 p.m. slot, the half-time 12 minutes are split between a slimmed down NFL halftime (where you don’t nearly get as much highlights as you would like) and the dreaded “local news” headlines?

Mad Slanted Powers
06-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Fährtenpüpen!

2-1B
06-24-2006, 07:40 PM
"Flonkerton"

from The Office (US version) episode of the 1st Dunder Mifflin Olympiad

jjreason
06-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Douglas Coupland's great book "Generation X" has a glossary of new english terms: historical underdosing being one of my favorites. It means constantly watching the news just to stuff happen - yet nothing interesting ever seems to happen, hence giving us an "underdose".

Kind of like trolling around here day after day, month after month, year after year..... just to see what $5 figures are going to come out next. lol

Kidhuman
06-25-2006, 02:20 AM
dwlcfiAGHFKL;JSHROI;;EWNC;;jd;lasjf;lajfpeoituc is Romanian for we stole your forums.

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Is it Romanian or Romulan?

Kidhuman
06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Does it matter, they suck for what they did.

Dar' Argol
06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Two my daughter has come up with that has made me laugh is Megacerator for refrigerator and Flug it for Plug it. Now my wife and I often tell each other to Go Flug it!

Another one I came up with was Brainwangfth which simply means that you and someone else are on the same brain wave length. Strange how a simple tounge of the tie can lead to some strange words . . .

vulcantouch
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
coughcough>stillakowid'sthekindaguywhovisitsforeignlands&throwsfitscuzthenativesdon'tspeakhismiddlebrowbran dofenglich<coughcough :p

jjreason
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Forgive me if this was posted previously, I didn't take the time to read the whole thread:

Nerbler (v) - To Nerbler; Nerblering, Nerblered

A person Nerblering types posts in such a manner as to seem dim-witted and or developmentally delayed, simply to laugh at the reaction said posting may cause.

SEE: Thespar - the original Nerbler himself.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2011, 10:45 PM
There is actually a word out there that describes making a single word by combining two words. I wish I could remember it. It was a good vocab word.Is it Portmanteau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau)?

El Chuxter
08-05-2011, 11:09 PM
****!!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-06-2011, 10:09 AM
****!!!!!!So true, so true...

JEDIpartner
08-10-2011, 09:06 AM
When my friend's kids were like one and three and he'd see one of them doing something that would potentially lead to injury or property damage, he would run towards them to stop that from occurring and he'd yell, in mock shock and panic, "UmbaNObabyJesus!!!!"