PDA

View Full Version : Figure Storage

INDIANA
01-03-2002, 03:41 PM
I saw on another site, someone bought the new Eeth Koth and Zutton, and right from the store put them in those expensive plastic figure holders. I admit, I used to do that as well. But, monetary restrictions forced me to find a cheaper way to store my figures. What I found that is cheap and works wonderfully (for me) are the $1.39 Steralite plastic shoe boxes you can pick up at Target. When they go on sale, they only cost $.99 and I fit 4 figures very nicely inside, 6 if you have figures with narrow blisters. The boxes stack well and overall take up much less room.
Anyone else with ideas?

Huckleberry Josh
01-03-2002, 04:00 PM
The best way for me to store my figures is to put a long , but narrow board around the tops of my walls. Add a long line of nails and hang all my packaged figures on the nails. Some people might think this is stupid but it works for me. Also , it doesn't take up too much space. As for my loose figures, I don't store them in anything. They just set on my shelves and so I have to dust often. That gets really annoying trying to dust off all my little loose figures. I'll probably get one of those huge cabinets with the glass doors to put my loose figures in. It might take up a little more space but it will look nice.

JediCole
01-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Though I usually open all of my figures, I do sometimes buy extras to sit on for future reference. Over the years the accumulation is rather substantial. I have found that the (I believe they are) 55 gallon Stearlite lidded tubs (Wal-Mart, approximatly $6.00 each) work very well to hold 30 or 40 some-odd figures, possibly more. If you nest them with two blisters facing and stand them on end (bottom of card/blister down on the "floor" of the tub), you can make two rows of figures with a little space left on the sides (if memory serves). You can store a ton of figures with much the same level of protection as the shoebox method. Much, much cheaper than Star Cases and you can store up a ton pretty pronto.

Obi-Don
01-04-2002, 02:02 AM
Do to the fact that all mine are open. I have all mine in book cases. Yes dusting,but I don't mind.It gives me a chance to rearange and so on. If I need to store them. I use the zip lock bags. Thier cheap and easy to store in a box.

Jayspawn
01-04-2002, 02:04 AM
I put all my loose figures in individual ziploc baggies w/ their accessories and put them in a small size plastic bin. Easy to store, easy to access.

Carded figures go into Hasbro shipping boxes exactly like the ones that figures arrive at the stores in.

sith_killer_99
01-04-2002, 03:03 AM
Well, I've tried various methods for storing my figures, carded and loose.

Loose, I used to put them in bin organizers (for lack of a better word). Each bin held 1 fig. with weapons. Each organizer held 60 bins (6 across and 10 high).

Unfortunatly, when I moved it became a mess. Now I go with plastic baggies.

Carded, I have had several methods over the years. I used to hang them on my wall. Then, I moved, and I noticed white paint had managed to stick to the backs of a few cards.

After the move I invested in several cardboard storage boxes. These work well for storing in the closet of a nice climate/temperature controlled home.

I wanted something a little more sturdy and protective, so I bought those big plastic containers.

Then I wanted to display my figs, so I bought some Star Cases, at around $1.00 each.

Then we moved again. When we unpacked I found that the shippers had damaged some of the carded figures in the process.

However, EVERY single figure in a Star Case arrived MINT!!! A couple of the cases got dented, scratched, etc. But NONE of the cards were damaged.

I have decided that, since we move around a lot, I will buy pro cases/ star cases for EVERY carded figure I own. It may be an extra buck a figure, but that's cheaper than trying to replace it. Especially since many are foreign cards that are difficult to come locate.

:D

cjranck
01-04-2002, 08:07 AM
I collect mostly carded figures, and the best way I have found to store figures, along with the most space efficient, is to store them in large comic book storage boxes. They are very sturdy and they even hold star cases. They usually run about $3 to $5 each, but if you store the figures bubble to bubble, you can get around 20 figures in each.

Rollo Tomassi
01-04-2002, 01:07 PM
I store my carded figures in file boxes bubble to bubble. I can get between 20 and 40 figures in a box depending on the bubble size. I've got about 30 boxes full. My loose figures that aren't on display just get dumped in a box. Plastic baggies? Will it make that much difference?

INDIANA
01-04-2002, 03:02 PM
I have opened stuff on a shelf too and found a great, CHEAP, way to keep the dust off. I bought one of the poster frames, carefully drilled some holes in it that corresponded to small nails I put in the shelf (would also work on a bookcase) just 3 along the top, and hung the light piece of plastic on. It stays right up against the shelf and dusting is at a minimum.

JediCole
01-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

Then I wanted to display my figs, so I bought some Star Cases, at around $1.00 each.

So, tell us, where do you buy your Star Cases at $1.00 each?

Also, as cjranck mentioned, comic boxes are ideal for the standard carded figures. I use them to carry and store the figures I take to local toy shows for sale/trade. I've found them to be ideal storage.

Finally, I'd like to applaud INDIANA for such an innovative method for displaying loose figures relatively dust-free. Hopefully I can addapt that method to my loose figure collection when it is moved into its new, permanant home later this year.

darth chuck
01-05-2002, 10:53 PM
I have dealt with storage over the years and currently use two methods.

For my carded figures, I use large cereal boxes that I usually get at Sam's Club. I can fit anywhere from 12-16 figures per box, depending on the size of the blisters. They are snuggly packed, similarly to the cases that they come in. I then tape them up and store them in the garage in stacks. I try to organize them as all POTJ, Ep I, etc.

As for my loose figures, I used to use the plastic containers that jedicole mentioned. I would put each figure, with accessories, into a 3x5 ziplock baggie and then place the figure into the bin.
WORD OF CAUTION: eventually, the weight of the figures themselves begins to deform the figures on the bottom. Especially figures like IG-88, EV 9D9, and all the hard plastic cape figures. For this reason, I bought smaller, stackable plastic containers at Walmart that hold about 100 figures each. Now I have one for vintage, two for POTF2, one for Ep I, and one for POTJ, stacked in the closet.

stillakid
01-06-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by darth chuck
For my carded figures, I use large cereal boxes that I usually get at Sam's Club.

Do you use the large Cheerios box or the smaller one? Will Kellog's work? ;)

But really, which department at Wal Mart has the containers? I've looked for something like that, but they've always been too expensive and didn't have enough slots or drawers (in relation to the money I'd have to spend).

I've got around 700 figures in those plastic drawer things you find at Target and office supply stores. The figures stand in single file rows. I had to put in cardboard dividers to keep them up, so I get about 4 rows of figures per drawer.

I have one for just ANH guys, one for ESB, and so on. I have one just for POTJ figures at the moment. Essentially what I do is keep an "active drawer" to help me keep track of what I've got. When the "line" is finished and Hasbro moves on to the next card design, I redistribute the "active" drawer guys (which at the moment happens to be POTJ) into their respective movie drawers.

It seems to work out, but I have trouble keeping them all standing up, especially the newer figures. I have to lay some of them down, but have run into that figure warping problem with the Battle Droids and others. Cheap plastic.

darth chuck
01-06-2002, 07:53 AM
I use the Kelloggs Frosted Flakes boxes (because that's what my kids like to eat). They are double the size of the usual "large" boxes that you would find at most grocery stores. You'll know them when you see them. Anyway, a carded figure fits perfectly, lying flat in the bottom of the box. I then stack them face up, face down, etc so the bubbles interlock. I lie the boxes on their sides to prevent the cards on the bottom from being crushed, though 12-16 figs probably isn't enough to do that anyway.

As for plastic containers, Walmart usually has an entire section of plastic (mostly tupperware) containers over in household goods. Even my non-superwalmart has a nice selection. There are many that will work well for star wars figs. I even have several large size ones for my ships, accessories, etc.

JediMaster
01-07-2002, 07:45 AM
Like some of the others who have posted here, I use the shipping cases that Hasbro ships the figures to retail in. They're very easy to come by; just got to ask the store clerks when you see them, and they'll give 'em to you. At one time I had amassed a collection of about 50 extra, unused "shippers" that ended up going to recycling when I moved. I also try to obtain shipping boxes for vehicles, deluxe figures, beasts, etc... anything that Hasbro sends to stores gets there in a cardboard box sized to fit whatever came in it...

As for loose figures, I have been utilizing a system for years now (since POTF2 came around) that I believe is the hands-down best way to store them: plastic fishing tackle cases. Plano industries makes a couple of cases that are outstanding, and the storage basis for my loose collection. Sold at most Big-K (K-Mart) stores, the Plano 3730 (average depth-2 figures per compartment) and 3700 (deeper) tackle cases are made from translucent plastic, and molded with slots for divider slats that you put in as you wish to custom "size" the compartment as you need. As they are translucent, you can clearly see the figures inside. The loose weapons never leave the compartment your figure shares with them, as the top locks the compartments in solidly. They stack perfectly, and never misshape due to weight, like cardboard or some of the flimsy plastic boxes do. And at about $4 each, they're one of the few bargains in the hobby, storing on average 12 to 24 figures per case. They also display nicely, if you choose to show them off.

Seek them out. You'll be happy you did.

INDIANA
01-07-2002, 02:34 PM
The Container Store (sorry, I don't know if they are nation wide), sells all of this stuff BUT what I really like to get there are plastic storage bages. They sell them in sizes 3x5 (which works for 80% of the figures), 4x6 (which I buy), and all different sizes. The more you buy the cheaper they are (usually about $.25 each). They are thicker plastic with easy "zip-lock" like tops. Each one of my loose figures go in a 4x6 bag with the accessories. They also have a (I think) an 8x10 bag that fits carded figures almost perfectly.
My place of choice for the plastic storage container is still Target. The Steralite brand they carry are both cheap and sturdy and stack well (and clear so you can see into them).

INDIANA
01-07-2002, 02:37 PM
One more thing....

The palstic sheet I used to make the cover for my shelves you can also pick up at Home Depot or Ace Hardware and have cut to any size you want (if you are using a bookcase it still works very well). The only thing really holding the cover in place are the 2 screws it's hanging on so your collection is very easy to get access to.

darth chuck
01-08-2002, 06:47 AM
I order my 3x5 inch baggies from Brian's Toys. There are 100 in a pack for $5. That's just five cents each, one of the most reasonable prices at BT's. For the off-size figs like Gamorrean Guards, etc., I just use standard ziplocks.

PloKoon2385
01-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Well... since i open 95% of my figs, i usually store them on the floor downstairs where I play with them......:sur: and then I clean them up when i am done. I have some big tub that i put them in. I do keep them in nice shape though. Mostly..... The others i just hang on a tack.....:D

humsup
01-10-2002, 03:50 AM
I placed some of my favourite loose figs inside a book cabinate with glass panel doors. Its getting crampy now. As for those that I have no desire to display, put them individually inside lil ziplock bag with their weapons and dump them all into a plastic tub.

As for those carded figs, I hang up my favourites onto the walls and those others are stuffed into various boxes - cardboard boxes, plastic boxes, u name it :)

Mad Slanted Powers
08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Loose, I used to put them in bin organizers (for lack of a better word). Each bin held 1 fig. with weapons. Each organizer held 60 bins (6 across and 10 high).I found something like that at K-Mart today. They didn't have the 60 bin version, but they had a 39 bin version that had 30 small bins on the top half (6 wide x 5 tall) and 9 larger bins on the bottom half (3 x 3). Here (http://www.stack-on.com/tool_and_hardware/drawer_storage/ds-39.html) is the one I bought, but they also make others. (http://www.stack-on.com/tool_and_hardware/drawer_storage/index.html)

The small drawers are big enough to hold most basic figures. They may not work if the figure has too wide of a stance, an extreme pose, hard cape, or larger accessories. The larger bins can accomodate most of the bigger figures and accesories.

I got the 39 drawer case for $15.99. The 60 drawer case was $16.99. There is an 18 drawer case of the larger drawers for $14.99. There is also a 22 drawer case with 8 large bins and 14 small bins for $12.99. K-Mart's website has the 60 and 22 drawer cases available, while the 18 and 39 ones are out of stock.

I can see what SK99 meant by a mess. If you were to store these or transport them, you would definitely want to strap them somehow so that the drawers don't open. Also, they are certainly not air tight. However, for me, they might be just what I was looking for. If I get more of them, I could put my loose figures in them and still have easy access to them. Since I don't yet have a great way to display everything the way I want, I can use these to store figures that I don't have room to display. I could then easily swap stored and displayed figures.

stillakid
08-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Since my original post in this thread, I've since switched to putting all of the loose figures in individual Ziploc baggies. The snack size works for most and the figures with large accessories get quart or gallon size. Then all of those get tossed into large plastic bins. I have had them divided as to movie, but over the past year or so, the new acquisitions are just tossed into cardboard boxes and put into storage with everything else. Hopefully some day soon I'll have the space (and time) to free them all into some kind of display/play area.

For now, though, they sit in the dark sealed from the elements. :(

JON9000
08-25-2007, 10:34 AM
For any figures with white plastic, you will want to punch a few holes in the bag, otherwise it will yellow very quickly.

stillakid
08-25-2007, 11:17 AM
For any figures with white plastic, you will want to punch a few holes in the bag, otherwise it will yellow very quickly.

:sur::frus:

jjreason
08-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Did you uncover a horror, Stilla? I've recently been going through all my stuff trying to itemize it for insurance purposes and found that my Garbage Compactor set figures have yellowed in spots (belts, particularly) even though they're all stored the same as my other loose figures - in rubbermaid bins.

JON9000
08-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I discovered the horror with a few G1 Transformers, if it makes you feel any better. For modern era figures (which aren't going to ever be worth bupkis) you can sand them down a little bit and they'll look like new.