PDA

View Full Version : Need an experts help...

Joshkj
02-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I want to get all the Rots basic figs and delux and the vehicals. But i wont have enough money to get them all when they come out, what would be the best things to buy first, cause that way i can get them all slowly:cry: :confused: :p

Slicker
02-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I'd buy what you like the first. That's what it's all about. If you like the look of the figure buy it, don't just buy them because you think they'll be tough to find because if the last 2 movie figure releases are anything to go by none of the first night releases will be tough to find after a month. So if you like the look and paint of a figure buy it.:)

sith_killer_99
02-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I agree. But there are a few things to consider, in addition to the fact that the first releases sell slowly, or more to the point, the first releases are mass produced to nearly death.

1. Deluxe figs sell slowly and many find their way to the clearance aisle.

2. Shipps are a bit more expensive and tend to stay around a while, except the exclusives.

I hope that helps.

Joshkj
02-12-2005, 01:17 PM
IIm staying away from exclusives they annoy me ^^

JetsAndHeels
02-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Slicker said it best. You need to take whatever funds you have, and just buy whatever YOU want. Take your time, look at the selection, and get what appeals to you the most. Remember, its your money and you spend it on what you decide you want. That has always been my approach to this hobby.
I used to be a completist...EVERY single re-hash, special edition, deluxe, yada yada yada I had to have. Well I have overcome that, and the relief is just incredible. The hobby is so much more fun that way. No pressure, no worries.
Just remember to have fun when you are getting your new stuff. Thats what the hobby is all about. Get what you want, leave the rest for next time. There will be plenty of merchandise to choose from come April.

General_Grievous
02-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Well, I'm going for the villains and the Clone Trooper first. The main characters, like Obi-Wan and Anakin will probably be around for a while. Also, some of the jedi might be worth picking up early, especially Agen Kolar, since it's his first real action figure.

JetsAndHeels
02-12-2005, 01:45 PM
My goal come April 2 is to get all the basic figures first. I will probably buy some doubles of the figures I like (as I am a carded collector). After that if there are any funds left I will go for whatever vehicles or deluxe figures catch my eye.

Kidhuman
02-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Use lay-a-way at Wal-Mart. I do and it helps. Especially when you are tight on cash. Grab the ten figures you want and plop 10 bucks down on lay-a-way, pay it off for a few months and then you got your figures, vehicles and such.

Turbowars
02-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah , but you have to watch out for WM lay a way. They lose things, if they don't lose your crap they will dent it, crease it or smash it. That's my experience anyway.

I wouldn't have it in my head that I want to get everything. I bet that 3/4 of the crap that comes out MMM wont really be worth fighting over anyways. Last year my local TRU didn't even have all the figures that were released that night. So a few days after I got a hold of them. Now I look back at that crap and that's what most of it is, CRAP.

Kidhuman
02-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah , but you have to watch out for WM lay a way. They lose things, if they don't lose your crap they will dent it, crease it or smash it. That's my experience anyway.

I have never had that experience with them. I always get my stuff crispy clean. I tell them I am packing my own box whenever I do it. They dont care, its less they have to do.

Turbowars
02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah it's a store to store kind of thing. I don't have one around anyways, so it doesn't really matter. If I don't have cash, I don't shop. WM is the Non Union scum of the earth anyways.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2005, 07:30 PM
It'd be a good idea to find out how much money you'll be having on April 2 then plan accordingly. Look at the pictures of the figures (galactichunter.com has a lot, and SSG will have a ton of Toy Fair pics by next week) and decide which ones you like best, and get those first. I know I'll have just enough to get all of Collection 1 wave 1 on April 2, then slowly get all the rest of the stuff.

You shouldn't worry about finding anything, unless there turns out to be another hard-to-find figure like Ephant Mon or the super articulated clone trooper.

Kidhuman
02-12-2005, 07:41 PM
If you like the army builders get those, they go quick

DarthQuack
02-12-2005, 08:00 PM
I agree with everything said here, just go for what YOU want and can AFFORD. That's the best part about collecting.

Joshkj
02-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Not to sound stupid but, Whats Lay-a-way? And does anyone know for sure what will be coming out on the second cause i may just get one of each...

DarthQuack
02-12-2005, 08:10 PM
It's when the store can put stuff aside for you and you can just pay it off a little at a time until it's paid off and then you're all set!

Devo
02-12-2005, 10:46 PM
If you're an opener, and I get the feeling you are, think about what kind of displays you want to have.

If you're into the jedis get them - they look like the best figures from the line-up. Perhaps you want to set up lightsaber battles and have a jedi army. These would be good if you want a variety of cool looking figures all of one theme that would also look good standing on their own.

If you want an array of armoured trooper-type figures then get the clones, AT-MT pilot etc and maybe the battle droid figures to fight them. These might be a good first buy because, as someone said, they sell out quicker (moreso the clones, people like that white armour).

If you need to have the main characters straight away then try to pick the ones that look best, personally I like ones that can hold a lightsaber with two hands, so look at how they're articulated and of course see which is the best likeness. Hopefully the best likeness and best articulation will be on the same figure. You need not go for the main characters first though because the initial ones are bound to still be on the shelves months (or years) later and Hasbro will do resculpts, rehashes and new outfits.

Or maybe you usually prioritise background, non-core characters. There looks to be quite a few. Some of these will be easy to get later but some won't and who can predict which ones. I find that prequel trilogy background characters, although often brilliantly done like Orn Free Ta from AOTC, are not quite as good for dioramas as background characters from the original trilogy. One of the reasons I've quit buying prequel toys is because there is so many background characters in these films that we'll never have toys of them all and any diorama you try to make will be missing tonnes of aliens and droids. Whereas because we've been getting toys from the original trilogy for so long they've made good headway into filling up our Jabba's palace and Cantina and the films themselves simply don't have quite as much background detail as the prequels.

If you expect to be low on funds either A) buy as much of what you think looks really cool as you can or B) buy themes - for example, focus on Jedis and/or Troopers, (maybe troopers and their vehicles - one thing from the Prequels I don't regret having is the Republic gunship and Clone troopers, they look fantastic together).

Joshkj
02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
I actually have decided to collect MOC and opend, and ive decided to make first priority 6 clones and 2 pilots and a gunship and from then on, and I just got another job(two jobs at 15-,-) that is paying 10 bucks an hour and i can use the rides that goes with it to go to stores^^ so i think ill have ennough to get all the figs MOC then the ones i really like, doubles

Joshkj
02-13-2005, 12:22 AM
And you maybe your wondering y i am a Moc collector too, well cause the ROTS figs look so cool in the box lol

Kidhuman
02-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Not to sound stupid but, Whats Lay-a-way? And does anyone know for sure what will be coming out on the second cause i may just get one of each...

Lay-a-way. You go into Wal-Mart or K-mart, the only two stores I found that have this, and grab the figures you want. Take them to the lay-a-way dept and have them ring them up. You put down 10% and have roughly 8 weeks to pay off the balance leftover . Make a payment everytime you get paid and it seems like nothing. It works for me as I use it like a ritual. Its like buying with a payment plan.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-13-2005, 10:52 AM
These are the basic figures that are DEFINITELY coming out on April 2.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Slashing Attack)
Anakin Skywalker (Lightsaber Attack)
Yoda (Firing Cannon)
Super Battle Droid (Firing Arm-Blaster)
Chewbacca (Wookiee Rage)
Clone Trooper (Quick-Draw Attack)
R2-D2 (Droid Attack)
Grievous’s Bodyguard (Battle Attack)
General Grievous (Four Lightsaber Attack)
Mace Windu (Force Combat)
Darth Vader (Lightsaber Attack)
Emperor Palpatine (Firing Force Lightning)
Count Dooku (Sith Lord)
Chancellor Palpatine (Supreme Chancellor)
Bail Organa (Republic Senator)
Plo Koon (Jedi Master)
Battle Droid (Separatist Army)
C-3PO (Protocol Droid)
Padmé (Republic Senator)
Agen Kolar (Jedi Master)
Shaak Ti (Jedi Master)
Kit Fisto (Jedi Master)
Royal Guard (Senate Security)
Mon Mothma (Republic Senator)

And these MIGHT be coming out the same day, but don't count on it.

Tarfful (Firing Bowcaster)
Yoda (Spinning Attack)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Kick)
Anakin Skywalker (Slashing Attack)
Ki-Adi-Mundi (Jedi Master)
Saesee Tiin (Jedi Master)
Luminara Unduli (Jedi Master)
Aayla Secura (Jedi Knight)

These are in addition to a bunch of vehicles, multipacks, and deluxe figures.

JetsAndHeels
02-13-2005, 10:55 AM
These are the basic figures that are DEFINITELY coming out on April 2.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Slashing Attack)
Anakin Skywalker (Lightsaber Attack)
Yoda (Firing Cannon)
Super Battle Droid (Firing Arm-Blaster)
Chewbacca (Wookiee Rage)
Clone Trooper (Quick-Draw Attack)
R2-D2 (Droid Attack)
Grievous’s Bodyguard (Battle Attack)
General Grievous (Four Lightsaber Attack)
Mace Windu (Force Combat)
Darth Vader (Lightsaber Attack)
Emperor Palpatine (Firing Force Lightning)
Count Dooku (Sith Lord)
Chancellor Palpatine (Supreme Chancellor)
Bail Organa (Republic Senator)
Plo Koon (Jedi Master)
Battle Droid (Separatist Army)
C-3PO (Protocol Droid)
Padmé (Republic Senator)
Agen Kolar (Jedi Master)
Shaak Ti (Jedi Master)
Kit Fisto (Jedi Master)
Royal Guard (Senate Security)
Mon Mothma (Republic Senator)

And these MIGHT be coming out the same day, but don't count on it.

Tarfful (Firing Bowcaster)
Yoda (Spinning Attack)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Kick)
Anakin Skywalker (Slashing Attack)
Ki-Adi-Mundi (Jedi Master)
Saesee Tiin (Jedi Master)
Luminara Unduli (Jedi Master)
Aayla Secura (Jedi Knight)

These are in addition to a bunch of vehicles, multipacks, and deluxe figures.

Which for me means it is definately time to start saving!!
I am trying to put a little back each week, so that when April rolls around I will already have some funds saved up. My birthday is in March, so I have just asked for a gift card to Wal Mart or whatever, so that will help also.

Devo
02-13-2005, 05:40 PM
And you maybe your wondering y i am a Moc collector too, well cause the ROTS figs look so cool in the box lol

I think that too about the OTC figures but I can't bring myself to leave them in the boxes. I used to keep everything MOC and buy doubles of anything I wanted to open but I found it far too expensive - course I wasn't working two jobs, actually I wasn't working at all, I was getting pocket money. But even now I wouldn't try both MOC and opened. It makes the hobby too costly and one day you may look at all your carded figures and wonder why you bothered, which is what happened to me. I'd all these spare figures that, when I started opening all my figures and displaying them, I found I didn't need and I thought to myself 'thats a lot of money I could have spent better or saved'.

If you're getting clones and a gunship you should open all those figures for display in the ship IMO. I would definitely never leave an army builder unopened. Good choice though, as I said, the gunship and troopers look brilliant and even as a prequel-hater I'm glad I have them.

Joshkj
02-13-2005, 06:35 PM
No those are the ones i am for sure going to open lol i want a little gunship squad, it would also be cool to modify two of the swoopbikeish things to fit in the back of the gunship like they are supposed too ^^, Im really exited cause i made 100 bucks ttoday and now i have like 260 bucks in under 2 weeks!!!!!!

Slicker
02-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Better save every penny for the ROTS figs 'cuz there's alot coming out. You'll need at least that to get everything you want on opening night.

Joshkj
02-13-2005, 07:04 PM
my hopes is to have 600 bucks so there will be no hassal all the way through

DarthQuack
02-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Save like you've never saved before and get ready for the excitement...