PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi

LusiferSam
02-13-2005, 12:13 PM
I was a little more out of than I thought last. Last week I want to do Ben Kenobi last week and this week to do Han Solo. In any case this Obi-Wan's turn now (sorry no picture this week). Wizard, mentor, general, hermit and Jedi Knight Ben Kenobi had to be one of the cool characters of the original film. First released in 1978 with a double telescoping lightsaber, Obi-Wan was available threw the end of the POTF line. The double telescoping version is the rarest of the of double telescoping figures. There is some debate as to whether he was truly available on a card in stores or just sales examples. The other variation is the hair color. Ben first had white hair, but was later available with gray. I'm not sure if one version is rarer than the other. Ben Kenobi can be found on most card back types. The photo of the card was changed for the ROTJ and POTF lines.

I've always liked old Ben, but some how the figure was a bit of a disappointment. The sculpting on the body and head is fine. Nothing that's really outstanding, but nothing that's too bad either. The vinyl cape is ok. I'm not a fan of them, but it works here. The hands, I think say this about the arms every time, unless. I like the gray haired version better only because the white hair seems to stark. So not a bad figure, but a great one either.

I have two Obi-Wan figures. My childhood one is in pretty bad shape. Its missing the lightsaber, the cape is ripped and cut(?), and the legs have broken off. That has convinced me that Ben Kenobi and the Tusken Raider had a different plastic used in they're making. The broken legs make for a good story about how Vader did. :p I got this figure for Xmas of '83. It was one of those I wanted badly and my grandma had promised me she'd get him. I got down to my last present and thought for sure I had been lied to. Sure enough I had, the box that my Obi-Wan figure had been put in was from my grandpa. :D

Because of the damage to my childhood figure (which I'm keeping for the memories) I bought another one for "display" on eBay. This one is in better shape, but has a small ripe in the cape that someone fixed with clear tape. And the tip is missing on the lightsaber, but I don't care about that. I might try and find third to replace this one.

JON9000
02-13-2005, 12:38 PM
I hated Vinyl capes with a passion. I could not keep them from ripping as a kid. Darth and Obi Wan were the worst offenders because you had to remove their capes to place them in their respective vehicles. I have 6 vintage figures that had capes, and they all went missing years ago. :cry:

I can dig the sculpted tresses and the head sculpt of Obi-Wan, but I shall forever curse the vinyl cape.

Kidhuman
02-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Ben Kenobi: The one who stood up to Vader(Until ESB came out). This is a good figure. The first one I had, the cape got shredded. I had to get a second one, which is in good shape still. I got him in the ROTJ line. The cape is much different than the first one, stronger it seems.

Ben got alot of play time, fighting Vader and hacking up Walrus-man over and over. Towards the end of the series I used himless and less as he wasnt in the movie except as a spirit. I did not have the DT one, didnt even know their was one until a few years back.

Fluke Skywalker
02-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I got this one two years ago from a friend for Christmas. I had it as a kid, though I don't rememebr playing with it much. Afterall, when I started being obsessed with SW, it was right when ESB came out. By that time in the movies, old Ben was a Ghost.

I have the white haired version now, and I plan on going back to get the gray one soon. This is a must for vintage if for no other reason than he was part of the original 12.

vader121
02-14-2005, 07:55 AM
This figure was a must have but really didn't give much play value besides an occasional duel with Vader. How much fun can a kid have with an old man figure?

I don't recall when I got this figure but I did have one. Never recalled ever having the vinyl cape. I usually either discarded or stored the vinyl capes. I did take them off my Vaders and Sandpeople and stored them away. I do recall throwing away all the white skirts for the Snowtroopers because I thought they were so dumb. Wish I would have stored them too as they are so hard to find these days.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-15-2005, 07:25 PM
The aspect of this fig that I disliked was the legs. I never realized they were supposed to be molded cloak cloth while I played with it; just thought they were sticks or something. I think he's the only arm-saber figure with a gripping hand; I used to switch his blue with Luke's yellow, since that's what the card showed. My Ben started to go bald pretty quickly. Overall, an okay figure.