View Full Version : Obi-Wan gets the best lightsaber fights in all the movies

Tycho
02-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Lightsaber opponents:

Qui-Gon - vs. Droids, vs. Maul

Anakin - vs. Droids, vs. Zam Wessel, vs. Dooku, vs. Dooku (again), vs. Obi-Wan

Yoda - vs. Dooku, vs. Sidious

Mace - vs. droids, vs. Jango Fett, vs. Sidious

Luke - vs. Darth Vader, vs. Gamorreans etc., vs. Bikerscouts, vs. Vader (again)

OBI-WAN: vs. Droids, vs. Darth Maul, vs. Jango Fett, vs. Dooku, vs. Grievous, vs. Anakin, vs. Darth Vader

Dude - Following the adventures of Obi-Wan rocks!

Beast
02-13-2005, 10:37 PM
From a certain point of view, Anakin has the best lightsaber battles in all the movies. :)

MTFWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Mina
02-13-2005, 10:40 PM
I couldn't agree more with TY he does get the best fights also lookin more closely the PREQUELS look more like Obi's Triology instead of Ani

Fluke Skywalker
02-14-2005, 03:08 AM
I agree. The PT is turning out to be the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi and I like it. It makes ANH so much cooler when you look at Obi and think, man he dueled Maul and Dooku (And soon Anakin).

Tycho
02-14-2005, 10:53 AM
And he killed MAUL,

and he killed the Jedi Killer GENERAL GRIEVOUS

and he left ANAKIN SKYWALKER for dead......

That's 1 1/2 Sith Lords and one major threat to the Jedi.

Obi-Wan may not be half as good with a lightsaber as Count Dooku, and he'd probably have lost against Darth Sidious, but he's a survivor and Darth Vader did not defeat him on the Death Star. Obi-Wan might've been able to call upon the Force like Yoda did when fighting Dooku and taken down those stormtroopers and renewed his fight against Vader, but I think he:

1) did not (ever) want to kill his old apprentice (that was like his son)
2) knew Vader's achilles heel: he'd have difficulty facing his own son (Luke) once Luke was ready

Also, I think Obi-Wan "dying" at the hands of Vader, gave Luke more incentive to see him as evil, instead of as a father-figure to reach out to.

Luke, sheerly by who he was, used a combination of the two approaches:

1) he became a better swordsman than Vader, or had more raw physical ability when angered (and not machine-made)

2) he wanted to save his father and fought FOR him, and not against him until he lost it and Vader's tauntings about turning Leia into something evil got to him

In any case, Obi-Wan survived stuff of the likes that we've never seen another Jedi do (though they might've been capable of it).

Luke could have taken down Maul and Grievous, getting lucky in a similar way to Obi-Wan (perhaps they fight alike?), but Anakin in his prime might have been more than a match for Luke. Later on, as they could never have physically met at that time (as Jedi) anyway, Vader was more machine, and weakened by sympathy for his son, and Luke was not out to kill his own father (except on Bespin, when he didn't know). The movies tend to show that Luke could not defeat Vader as a Jedi, but when he tapped into his own Dark Side to protect his feelings about Leia, Vader who was turning back into a good father, was ill-prepared to counter the Dark Side he'd fostered in his only son. Fortunately, Yoda had prepared Luke to resist when he needed to.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Obi-Wan rules... period!

General_Grievous
02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, it makes sense that Obi gets the best fights in the movies. He's pretty much the core character of the saga next to Anakin and the droids.He's my favorite human character of the prequels (My favorite alien is Yoda, of course). Ewan McGregor is also probably the best actor of the Prequels. I've gained a lot more respect for Obi-Wan lately. Usually my favorite characters have always been Yoda, Han and Vader, but Obi's growing on me a lot.

2-1B
02-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Good analysis, Tycho. I'm inclined to agree.

However, you left out "vs. Geo bugs" under the Anakin file. :p

Slicker
02-15-2005, 02:32 AM
I've kinda noticed that the prequels tend to revolve around Ben as much as Anakin which is weird to me because I thought they were supposed to be about the rise of Vader.

Having a list of these fights only goes to show who the most powerful Jedi in terms of fighting abilities is.

BTW, in all fairness to Qui-Gon you should've put Maul x 2.:p

General_Grievous
02-15-2005, 05:12 PM
I've kinda noticed that the prequels tend to revolve around Ben as much as Anakin which is weird to me because I thought they were supposed to be about the rise of Vader.

They are about the rise of Vader, but Obi-Wan plays a critical part in that, as do Yoda and Palpatine. If the prequels so far were only about Anakin and Obi-Wan's role was reduced, they'd be very boring.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Also, a lot of the OT focused on Han and Leia (particularly in ESB), though it was more the story of Luke and Vader.