PDA

View Full Version : Movies that were over-hyped

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a huge list, but the one that is freshest in my mind (since I watched it last nite) is "Ray". It was a good movie and Jamie Foxx did a great job as Ray Charles, but people talked about this movie like it was the next coming of God. Had people not blabbed about it for weeks beforehand, I might have liked it a bit more. But I was expecting the glorious, life-altering film everyone was talking about and it was far from that.

Joshkj
02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
This really isnt a movie but... HALO 2 way to muuchhh hype. It still is one of teh greatest games of all time but it didnt meet my expectations.

stillakid
02-14-2005, 01:50 PM
ET: The Extraterrestrial. Yeah sure, it was a good movie, but it certainly isn't the movie it's been revered as.

The Matrix series. What a pile of superficial crap that was. Pretending to be "deep." Ugh.

JetsAndHeels
02-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I thought the movie The Village was overhyped. I know, it came from the same mind that brought us The Sixth Sense and Signs, but I thought the story was slow, and in the end I was just flabbergasted. I could not believe the angle it took. It had a typical M. Night Shymalan ending, but not in the kind that intrigues you.
Just my 2 cents, ignore as needed.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Shrek 2, definitely. This film had a marketing program to rival ROTS (well, maybe not as much) and it wasn't that great. Everyone hails it as the best damn thing ever, and really, it's far from it.

General_Grievous
02-14-2005, 05:27 PM
I agree with the "Halo 2" statement. It just didn't live up to expectations. Here are mine:

Napoleon Dynamite: I know a lot of you may add me to your Ignore lists because of this, since you're huge fans of this movie, but just hear me out. I didn't think that it was that bad of a movie. But what happened with me was that I thought it would be the funniest movie I'd ever see, judging from all the hype. I rented it a few weeks ago and I didn't really find it all that funny. To me, it just got kind of boring after a while. It was a movie trying to be different, which I applaud, since I loved "Clerks", which was about as different as you can get. But to me, "Clerks" succeeded and "Napoleon Dynamite" failed. I don't know why, but it just didn't do it for me. And I already know that I am part of the 3 people that didn't think this movie was all that funny.

Shark Tale: Reviews praised it, but long story short, I go into the theater and I walk out an hour later. Crappy movie that insulted my intelligence! :mad:

That's all I can think of right now.

Slicker
02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Titanic: If you were surprised the boat sank then you need help. And it also took SW #1 box office spot.:mad:

The Village: The title is 'nuf said. Bleh!!

Fluke Skywalker
02-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Dances with Wolves: Wish this one would 'Sleep with the Fishes'.

Austin Powers in Goldmember: No, baby, no!

The Return of the King: This one will get me in trouble I'm sure. I thought FOTR and TTT were brilliant and that they both should have won for best picture (And Peter Jackson as well). I was really disappointed in ROTK though and I thought it's Oscars were mostly a statement on the trilogy as a whole and not that picture. (The extended edition is much better though, IMO)

Rocketboy
02-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Off the top of my head:
Underworld - Quite possibly the worst action movie ever. Not even Kate Bekinsale in tight black leather could help it. But it did have an awesome trailer though.
LOTR trilogy - So very boring. I've never looked at my watch so many times during a movie. I still refuse to see the third one.
Matrix Sequels - I still like the first one, but the less said the better about the other two.
Van Helsing - Boring and predictable, with the worst versions of Frankenstein and Dracula ever. Where were Abbot and Costello when I needed them?
Shrek 2 - Ummm...wasn't it supossed to be funny?
Pearl Harbor - There is about 15 watchable minutes (the attack). Othe wise it's a chick flick.
Armageddon - Another chick flick disguised as an action movie.

Kidhuman
02-14-2005, 10:17 PM
The Matrix: Way overhyped, good effects, bad story and acting....

Braveheart:I cant stand this movie. It put me to sleepat every attemptto view it.

Titanic: Decent movie, worth watching once

Finding Nemo: Not funny, not cute not anything but the computer it was created on...

Jayspawn
02-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Sorry, gotta fly to the rescue here....

Titanic Lets face it, James Cameron really did his homework and casted some sensational actors. Even the exteras casting is brilliant! The special effects are top notch, and is the most historically correct/accurate version of the film to date. There wont be any more Titanic films for a good long time because this one is soo good! Of course the ship sinks at the end, but why watch The Wizard of Oz at all -you know she gets home -doesnt fly as an arguement. It earned EVERY oscar it got!! Brilliant film! Gonna be a classic for a long time.

The Lord of the Rings These 3 movies are gonna be classics 100 years from now. Another Director who was passionate, wrote and produced his own movies, Peter Jackson is a truely ground-breaking Director. The films are very well written, the casting is brilliant -truely cornerstones in the actor's careers. The special effects are new and innovative -truely epic! The amount of detail is amazing. Earned everyone of the 11 Academy Awards it got!

The Matrix Movies Original story, all 3 movies have amazing, off the wall special effects. The film makers invented some catchy, new camera shots and turned out some kick-*** action sequences. The Burley Brawl sequence in Reloaded is f'n awesome! The films themselves dont claim to be the greatest ever, people read too much into them. Over rated? Not a bit.

stillakid
02-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I third that LOTR Trilogy nod. While not a "bad" set of films per se, certainly nothing to write home about. I found them terribly boring and I couldn't have cared any less about any of the characters. Yawn. :zzz:

Tonysmo
02-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Im gonna disagree with you Stilla.. :eek:

Those movies were not boring. not at all.. okie.. well, the hobbits crying all the time might have gotten to you.

but think about it.. these were all fresh. not excalibur rehashes, no prince of thieves.. no king arthur.. totally new. introduced amazing characters if you hadnt read any of the books.. IMO just totally amazing work. Im looking forward to seeing what he can do with King Kong..

Something out of the norm is nice every once in awhile.. A knights tale. fir'instance. totally different and I thought it worked out well for that movie. I really enjoyed that flick.

I havent seen shrek 2. no desire..

I havent seen Napoleon Dynamite either, but since it was mentioned as being somewhat on par with clerks Ill have to check it out.. I thought Clerks was outstanding.. and again. IMO much better than anything else he has put out.

Underworld.. pfft. just plain stupid.

The Matrix.. cmon.. the 1st one. just outstanding.. they should have stopped there.. the 2nd one was so dull I cant bring myself to watch the 3rd one..

My all time over-hyped movie.. The Hulk. I was SO happy I didnt pay to see this in a theater.. and SO mad that I wasted two bucks to rent it. That was the worst possible movie ever... next to the Godzilla flick that came out with that um.. lizard.. They hurt my eyes. Ill take bad acting in the prequels anyday. :crazed:

YIPPIEE!!

vader121
02-15-2005, 07:50 AM
I am very surprised at some of the movies being mentioned here. Most notably Dances with Wolves and Braveheart. These are great films. However everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Now for mine:
ROTK - great but not awesome like the first two. Missing something.
Shark Tale - not worth the time. Will Smith continues to ruin every film he is in.
The Village - dumb!
Matrix sequels - hated them
Legally Blonde 2 - saw it recently, this movie his absolute crap. Sat through it with my girlfriend and hated it.
Star Wars EP1 - sorry, but this didn't even come close to the hype.
Star Wars EP2 - better than EP1 but also didn't even come close to the hype.
Thin Red Line - should've been great but turned out to be downright weird
Unforgiven - just don't care for this movie
Scorpion King - too simple and predictable
All Star Trek movies except 'Wrath of Kahn' - i just don't see why poeple like these movies

I could keep going as for every good movie there are 100 bad ones.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-15-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm gonna reach waaaaay into the back of the file cabinet to pull out...

...Heaven's Gate, which most people probably have never heard of. It was supposed to be this ultrarealistic western where the director/producer spent tons of money on trying to make everything true to history, though it was just "historical fiction." It totally bombed, made zero money, and the guy who made it, Michael Cimino, practically dropped of the face of the planet afterwards. It may have been an even bigger bomb than Waterworld in terms of money earned/money spent.

As a dishonorable mention I throw in Matrix Revolutions. Although the second one wasn't up to par with the first, it still had some kick-A fight and chase scenes and a story that wasn't too bad. The last flick could have wrapped things up nicely but turned out to be quite lame.

Bobajames
02-15-2005, 03:13 PM
How about something from recently... such as Boogeyman, though it didn't have as much hype as some of the other movies mentioned here, i thought this would be a good place to vent about it. it was the biggest reeking pile of *** i have seen since Gothika. the dialogue was unrealistic, cinematography nothing special, no character development....
also they waited until the last 20 minutes of the movie to show the "scary" stuff so that you would want to see if anything actually happens and not walk out. and that stuff wasn't even scary. it was lots of flashing shots and loud screeching noises. i had a headache and then an epileptic seizure.

Slicker
02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Catwoman: Once again, 'nuf said.

Rocketboy
02-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Saw - Worse than a high school play.

El Chuxter
02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Pulp Fiction. Sorry. Good movie, but the second coming it wasn't. I also don't care too much for films that you absolutely cannot figure out without reading separate interviews with the director.

General_Grievous
02-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I disagree with the LOTR movies. I believe that they are excellent and are miles better than Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2. They are, IMO, some of the best movies I've ever seen, along with Star Wars Eps 4-6 and The Godfather.

I'd also like to add the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. It seems that they would have been better off if they had released the movies within two years instead of one. It would have given them more time to re-work the scripts on both movies. But I actually liked "Revolutions" better, because it didn't have any stupid out-of-the-way sideplots, which "Reloaded" had plenty of (Like the whole car chase. Sure it was fun, but did we really need 15 minutes of it?). Either way, to me the first one was a bit above average, second was utter trash, and the third was average.

Slicker
02-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Saw - Worse than a high school play.I know everyone has there own opinion but I seem to be the only one the boards that actually liked this movie. I'm actually thinking about going out and buying it and buying new movies is a rarity for me.

Turambar
02-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Agree with the first post about Ray. The acting was great, the music was greater, but the movie was very bland.
Dances With Wolves! I have given up trying to watch this all the way through without losing interest or falling asleep.
Star Wars Episode I. Waaaayy too much hype for a below average movie.

Fluke Skywalker
02-15-2005, 08:06 PM
I hate to double post but I thought of a few more to add.

The Texas Chainsaw massacre (New version) - The trailer to this one looked great but I don't think I've ever hated a movie more. Just made me feel worse for having seen it.

Bull Durham - I love Baseball but I don't know why this shows up on so many best sports movie lists. Ahead of 'The Natural' and 'Major league'?

Good Will Hunting - Has the duel misfourtune of not only being a bad movie (IMHO) but it also unleashed Ben and Matt on the world.

JediTricks
02-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Titan AE - Even with all the over-the-top hype Fox poured onto this one, I didn't expect much but it was pretty bad even with no expectations.

6th Sense - It was ok, but I thought it got a little too buried in its gimmick, and I saw that ending coming a mile away.

Shrek - didn't see it in theaters, everybody said it was soooo funny and sooo great, finally rented it and it was way too kiddified and just "ok".

Chasing Amy - another one everybody said was the best thing since sliced bread, turned out to be absolute dreck with weak writing and acting, worst Kevin Smith film bar none, dishonest writing to fit the mainstream and attempt "depth" in ways the regular moviegoer can understand, Smith's take on the romantic dramedy.

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back - just wasn't that funny, instead it was disjointed and 1-note slop, felt very "studio-handed".

Dr Strangelove - Everybody talks about it like it's the funniest film of all time, but really it's very mild in the comedy department and surprisingly straightforward in the storytelling department.

And the one that'll probably get the most reaction...

Godfather part 2 - This film seemed to take paths for both its parts that didn't seem like honest extensions of the first story, it ended up being overly long and disjointed without truly tying things up.

ET: The Extraterrestrial. Yeah sure, it was a good movie, but it certainly isn't the movie it's been revered as.Totally agree, I never understood it with that film.

Austin Powers in Goldmember: No, baby, no!

The Return of the King: This one will get me in trouble I'm sure. I thought FOTR and TTT were brilliant and that they both should have won for best picture (And Peter Jackson as well). I was really disappointed in ROTK though and I thought it's Oscars were mostly a statement on the trilogy as a whole and not that picture. (The extended edition is much better though, IMO) I gotta agree with both of these, though I haven't yet watched the ROTK EE.

Matrix Sequels - I still like the first one, but the less said the better about the other two. I too dig the first one, but Matrix 2 was so bad (and after everybody was saying how great it was) that I never saw the third. The 2nd one being so bad is the chief reason I put any stock at all into that "The Matrix was stolen from another writer" theory that is on the web and apparently in court.

Star Wars EP1 - sorry, but this didn't even come close to the hype.
Star Wars EP2 - better than EP1 but also didn't even come close to the hype. I was going to put those, though I would disagree that Ep 2 is better than Ep 1.

Unforgiven - just don't care for this movie Yeah, this one got a LOT of hype, mostly word-of-mouth, in my area and when I finally saw it I felt confused by how far off it was for me.

Pulp Fiction. Sorry. Good movie, but the second coming it wasn't. Agreed, heartily.

Rocketboy
02-15-2005, 09:20 PM
6th Sense - It was ok, but I thought it got a little too buried in its gimmick, and I saw that ending coming a mile away.Yeah, that's another one. Pretty boring and I figured it out before the end also.

Some else mentioned Godzilla - didn't think it was as bad as people say. It was really cool seeing the monster tear up New York (even though it didn't look a thing like Godzilla), but come on - Ferris friggin' Bueller?

CaptainSolo1138
02-15-2005, 11:27 PM
"Anchorman" is another one. Hear me out. It was funny. It was a great Will Ferrel (sp?) movie. But everybody told me how freakin' hilarious it was and that I'd be laughing the whole time, and that I'd laugh myself sterile, etc., etc. When I expect something that's what I want. It's kinda like ordering a steak, getting a hamburger, and paying for it anyway. I think I actually laughed a half dozen times is all. It was too over the top.

Bobajames
02-16-2005, 07:44 AM
I know everyone has there own opinion but I seem to be the only one the boards that actually liked this movie. I'm actually thinking about going out and buying it and buying new movies is a rarity for me.
Possible spoiler in my reply::
i thought the premise of the movie was awesome. a guy who forces his victims to kill themselves. but they made it kinda lame with the killer trying to have some higher purpose or something. i think it would have been about 100 times better if it was just some screw up who is sick in the head and you never find out who it is (well you kinda don't anyway)

vader121
02-16-2005, 08:39 AM
I agree on Anchorman. Some funny stuff but overall subpar.

Something About Mary - just not that good. a few somewhat funny scenes but some poeple adore this movie for some reason.

Pulp Fiction - I couldn't finish watching it. Terrible.

All Batman movies

XMen 1 and 2 - decent but not as great as they were supposed to be

Vanilla Sky - absolutely terrible!

Turbowars
02-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Pulp Fiction. Sorry. Good movie, but the second coming it wasn't. I also don't care too much for films that you absolutely cannot figure out without reading separate interviews with the director.You have to be out of your mind, LOL It wasn't that hard to follow. Yeah it did get a lot of hipe though. One of my all time faves.

Turbowars
02-16-2005, 07:12 PM
I know everyone has there own opinion but I seem to be the only one the boards that actually liked this movie. I'm actually thinking about going out and buying it and buying new movies is a rarity for me. No I like it too. I really don't think it got much hype though.

I also don't agree with all the LOTR haters out there.lol All 3 deserved all the hype. The Fellowship was the best of the 3 IMO

I do agree with SW 1 and 2. Sometimes I wish Lucas would have left us with ROTJ. They fun though.

I didn't hear too much about ND. I just saw it from Net Flicks and kind of fell in love with it. It's just soo stupid, whats not to love? ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
02-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I didn't hear too much about ND. I just saw it from Net Flicks and kind of fell in love with it. It's just soo stupid, whats not to love? ;)

Nap. Dynomite had pretty much zero paid advertising up here in UT. It's so close to Preston, ID and those guys are UT locals so the news stations "gave" them tons of free airtime by virtue of all the reviews they gave it. It was almost an anti-hype movie and still turned a profit.

El Chuxter
02-17-2005, 12:05 PM
You have to be out of your mind, LOL It wasn't that hard to follow. Yeah it did get a lot of hipe though. One of my all time faves.

I meant the whole thing about the box being Ving Rhames' soul, and that's why he had the band-aid on his neck, yadda yadda. There's no possibly way to extrapolate that from what we're given without hearing Taratino yammer on about it in interviews.

mabudonicus
02-18-2005, 08:36 AM
E.T. Pulp Fiction, ROTK, TITANIC, Braveheart, 6th Sense, The Village, Shrek AND Shrek 2, Hulk and Godzilla are all agreed upon by this cowboy (and Doc Strangelove, I was shocked at how little there was going on in that film when I finally got a hold of it a few years back, good call JT)

"When Harry met Sally" still gets unwarranted kudos

"Crouching Tiger" Didn't really care for this film at all... fine wire-work and stuff but there's no need for over half of the stuff that got left in the film

This one's gonna sound strange, but "Blade Runner" bores the heck outta me these days, as does "Escape from New York", which was great when I was 10 but nowdays seems real silly (which is what makes "Escape from LA" work, IMO, it knows how goofy the whole deal is and indulges in it fully)
Problem with BladeRunner, for me, is that it is a pale reflection on the source material, which was infinitely more detailed than what made it to the screen, and there is no good reason for basing a film on a book if you're gonna use 5 pages from the end of said book.....

And something about Harry Potter- I'm sure the fans love them and they are just fine films, but I can't stand how talking heads gush over them and try to pretend like they are just as jazzed as the target audience.....

And a final one- ALIEN.... again, as a kid it scared the heck outta me and I loved seeing the split-second views of the creature, but for some reason the film just doesn't hold up for me anymore... people still think it is awesome and all and I just can't get into that headspace.....

CaptainSolo1138
02-18-2005, 08:53 AM
And something about Harry Potter- I'm sure the fans love them and they are just fine films, but I can't stand how talking heads gush over them and try to pretend like they are just as jazzed as the target audience.....

I'm not a Pot-head (wheather or not that's an official moniker I don't know, but I like it!!) but I enjoyed the first three movies. The thing I didn't like was the almost "cookie-cutter" format they all folowed. Basically, they were all the same movie with different situations and buzzwords tossed. That's how they felt to me.

Rocketboy
02-18-2005, 10:48 AM
And something about Harry Potter- I'm sure the fans love them and they are just fine films, but I can't stand how talking heads gush over them and try to pretend like they are just as jazzed as the target audience.....Gotta agree there. I saw about half an hour of one of them on HBO (the first HP I think), and didn't see what the big deal was. Characters were dull and I thought the action (during the broomstick game thing) was pretty boring actually.

El Chuxter
02-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm going to have to second Napoleon Dynamite now that I've seen it. It's a pee-in-your-pants funny movie (especially Pedro), but nothing gelled. It really needed a plot.

JediTricks
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
"Crouching Tiger" Didn't really care for this film at all... fine wire-work and stuff but there's no need for over half of the stuff that got left in the film
Good one mabs, totally agree on this one, it moves WAY WAY WAY up my list, possibly to the top just because of how much word of mouth everybody threw at me.

I think Blade Runner is a fantastic film on its own though, I think you're selling it short only because it's not "Electric Sheep" rather than entertaining it as a rich and fantastic piece of cinema. (I'll point out that Blade Runner is the only film on this growing list of ours which I've yet to defend, even though there are plenty of other entries I've disagreed with.)

Rocketboy
02-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - watchable and weird, but noting special. I didn't think the performances were Oscar/Golden Globe worthy at all.

IMO, Kate Winslet is not that great of an actress and Jim Carrey's only decent serious role (which wasn't all that serious) was Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon.

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Most recent disappointment I had after much hype was Spider-Man 2.

Not what I would call the best superhero film, Mr. Ebert.

Kidhuman
02-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Gots to agree JBF, not nearly as good as the first. Could have been way better.

mabudonicus
02-19-2005, 10:44 AM
SPIDERMAN was better than SPIDERMAN 2??????
YIKES!!!!!

And JT Ohhh, I don't "hate" bladerunner, but I would love to see a new version of "Electric Sheep" but the "classic" status of BladeRunner makes that unlikely, and any return to the property would likely be based on the film, and Philip K Dyck is pretty much my all-time favourite author (BTW there is a PKD estate-sponsored "A Scanner Darkly" in production, that might tone down my harsh feelings against BR)

JON9000
02-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Dr Strangelove - Everybody talks about it like it's the funniest film of all time, but really it's very mild in the comedy department and surprisingly straightforward in the storytelling department.

If the criticism is that it simply isn't that funny, I guess I can understand, but I never saw a black comedy that was a real howler (and consider the topic here- nuclear holocaust). As for its status as one of the "best" comedies of all time, of that I have no doubt. Imagine, a comedy that scared the hell out of people, on the scale of The Passion in its ability to cause controversy.

It's getting harder and harder to put ourselves metally in the shoes of the original audience, at a time when we were literally "staring down the barrel" at nuclear war. My father told me that when the movie came out, people were confronted with the realities of the "madman" theory and the biting satirization of the men who ran the show, guys like Curtis LeMay.

the comedy is underplayed, but brilliant:

President Muffley:

"General Turgidson, I find this very difficult to understand. I was under the impression that I was the only one in authority to order the use of nuclear weapons."

Gen. Turgidson:

"That's right sir. You are the only person authorized to do so. And although I hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like General Ripper exceeded his authority."

Frigging awesome. :)

Rocketboy
02-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Since Spidey 2 was mentioned (and I totally disagree!), I'll have to mention
Spider-man - it was great the first time I saw it in theaters, but I haven't been able to watch it without fast forwarding through at least 3/4 of it. It's so friggin' boring!

Spider-man 2 on the other hand, I could watch (and have) many many times without getting bored once.

General_Grievous
02-19-2005, 11:21 PM
I second ALIEN. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great movie and scary as hell, but ALIENS was just way better.

Same thing with the first Terminator (and the third one as well). The first one was alright, kind of dated now, though. But T2 just blew it out of the water. And T3 just plain sucked.

Also, I agree to an extent on what was said about Spider-Man 2. It is in no way the greatest superhero movie ever. I think that honor will belong to a movie that hasn't even come out yet, be it Spider-Man 3 or X-Men 3, who knows?

Spidey 2 was a good movie. I enjoyed it as much as the first. But a lot of it tended to drag on a bit, like the scenes with Aunt May and Peter's internal conflicts. Also, it didn't help that they copied the burning building scene from the first one.

Even Doc Ock wasn't in the movie that much. It almost seems like he just disappears for a huge chunk of the movie, and then he suddenly shows up again.

Spider-Man 2 is a movie that you grow more and more tired of each time you watch it, though. Sometimes, it's bad to have too much plot and not enough action, especially in a superhero movie. You have to balance it out. This is exactly why "Hulk" failed, but that's an entirely different story. Man, did I waste a few bucks on that big green dud. :mad:

JON9000
02-20-2005, 12:11 PM
The trick with ALIEN is that it is almost a completely different movie from ALIENS. I saw ALIENS first and expected wall to wall action in ALIEN as well. Surprise- ALIEN is a slow burn that relies on suspense rather than action.

Terminator was the heat when it came out. Terminator 2 was basically the same flick, just ratched up about a zillion times. That's why T3 sucked. By then it had become stale and formulaic. While fanboys might drool over how "cool" T3's actions scenes were, I thought it was nothing more than a big budget kabuki drama. The only thing really commendable was Kristanna's caboose. lol

JediTricks
02-20-2005, 01:49 PM
If the criticism is that it simply isn't that funny, I guess I can understand, but I never saw a black comedy that was a real howler (and consider the topic here- nuclear holocaust). As for its status as one of the "best" comedies of all time, of that I have no doubt. Imagine, a comedy that scared the hell out of people, on the scale of The Passion in its ability to cause controversy.

It's getting harder and harder to put ourselves metally in the shoes of the original audience, at a time when we were literally "staring down the barrel" at nuclear war. My father told me that when the movie came out, people were confronted with the realities of the "madman" theory and the biting satirization of the men who ran the show, guys like Curtis LeMay.I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory that a movie continues to deserve contemporary praise as a piece of cinema simply because it has a place in cinematic history. If that were the case, there are hundreds of films from before 1939 which we should be claiming are still worth the hype they had, but nobody seems to be yammering on about how The Jazz Singer is such a great film, only that it has a specific place in cinematic history. I don't think Dr Strangelove holds up over time as a movie, perhaps it does as a historical milestone but that is something totally different. I watch a lot of movies specifically because of their then-contemporary roles in history, but I also judge them as movies on their own merits because I believe those are not always intrinsically linked.

the comedy is underplayed, but brilliant:
President Muffley:
"General Turgidson, I find this very difficult to understand. I was under the impression that I was the only one in authority to order the use of nuclear weapons."

Gen. Turgidson:
"That's right sir. You are the only person authorized to do so. And although I hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like General Ripper exceeded his authority."

Frigging awesome. :)That doesn't seem "awesome" to me, "friggin'" or otherwise. ;) I know it's Kubrick's style to make the audience fill in the blanks, in this case to flesh out the gag, but that doesn't seem funny to me even a little - the president is inept and is more concerned about the chain of command issues than the fact that the world is going to end, but is that COMEDY? I would argue that it's not, it's just a flat comment on the particulars of the story, perhaps it's mild farce but hardly great comedy.

stillakid
02-20-2005, 02:16 PM
The trick with ALIEN is that it is almost a completely different movie from ALIENS. I saw ALIENS first and expected wall to wall action in ALIEN as well. Surprise- ALIEN is a slow burn that relies on suspense rather than action.

Terminator was the heat when it came out. Terminator 2 was basically the same flick, just ratched up about a zillion times. That's why T3 sucked. By then it had become stale and formulaic. While fanboys might drool over how "cool" T3's actions scenes were, I thought it was nothing more than a big budget kabuki drama. The only thing really commendable was Kristanna's caboose. lol

ALIEN was a horror film. ALIENS was an action-adventure film. Same elements, but in two decidely different genres.

Same with Terminator. T1 was a basic chase/horror film. T2 was more of a drama/action film. T3, like the ALIEN franchise that followed 2, was just a marketing rehash of the same elements with little to no originality or purpose. And ironically, both ALIEN3 and T3 took all the story foundation that Cameron carefully laid out (Newt, "no fate but what we make") and threw it away.

Slicker
02-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Another one for me was Blair Witch Project. The "scariest" part for me was literally at the very end when the guy is standing in the corner of the basement and at that it was just a little creepy.

JON9000
02-20-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory that a movie continues to deserve contemporary praise as a piece of cinema simply because it has a place in cinematic history. If that were the case, there are hundreds of films from before 1939 which we should be claiming are still worth the hype they had, but nobody seems to be yammering on about how The Jazz Singer is such a great film, only that it has a specific place in cinematic history. I don't think Dr Strangelove holds up over time as a movie, perhaps it does as a historical milestone but that is something totally different. I watch a lot of movies specifically because of their then-contemporary roles in history, but I also judge them as movies on their own merits because I believe those are not always intrinsically linked.

Certainly Strangelove loses a little bit of its power since the conditions that made it so relevant during its release no longer exist, but that was a weakness inherent in the subject matter. I think that is a limitation on satire in general. I also try to judge films within their genre, and I think Strangelove is best regarded as satire, not farce.

That doesn't seem "awesome" to me, "friggin'" or otherwise. ;) I know it's Kubrick's style to make the audience fill in the blanks, in this case to flesh out the gag, but that doesn't seem funny to me even a little - the president is inept and is more concerned about the chain of command issues than the fact that the world is going to end, but is that COMEDY? I would argue that it's not, it's just a flat comment on the particulars of the story, perhaps it's mild farce but hardly great comedy.

I don't know if you remember the actual scene, but I thought it was pretty funny when Sellers is all bent out of shape and Scott disarmed him so deftly. I can see how anyone who heard in advance that the comedy is side-splittingly funny would be let down, because it isn't really. I see the brilliance of the film's humour in its ability to not only get us to laugh in the face of the end of humanity, but also in the aforementioned satirical aspects.

Also, you touched on something that tends to bother everyone who watches the movie, which is: if this is supposed to be funny, than it truly is the sickest of all sick jokes. A lot of people really have problems with that, for sure.

Anyhoo, enough of me apologizing for Strangelove, but if you see it on AMC or something, give it another try.

James Boba Fettfield
02-20-2005, 06:54 PM
After the Daytona race was over (yeah, I like NASCAR . . . wanna fight 'bout it?) I flipped the channel past USA looking for something to watch. They were showing Meet the Parents and that reminded me of this thread. That one had a lot of praise for its humor and I never saw the level of funny everyone else did.

General_Grievous
02-20-2005, 10:03 PM
That's funny. I could say the same about its sequel, Meet the Fockers. It was funny for the first hour, but the second half of the movie tended to drag a bit.

JediTricks
02-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Certainly Strangelove loses a little bit of its power since the conditions that made it so relevant during its release no longer exist, but that was a weakness inherent in the subject matter. I think that is a limitation on satire in general. I also try to judge films within their genre, and I think Strangelove is best regarded as satire, not farce. I try to put myself in the historical mindset of the film, so I am not trying to let that issue bias me, my opinion is on its own levels within its universe and on that level I think as a film and as a satire it's flat and thin - my problem is that none of the writing of the satirical comedy is particularly funny OR that biting (perhaps it was in its day, but I've seen better from that era I think) and the way it's presented is just flat and thin (I wish I could flesh out what I mean by this better, but I don't really know how to put it into words).

I don't know if you remember the actual scene, but I thought it was pretty funny when Sellers is all bent out of shape and Scott disarmed him so deftly. I can see how anyone who heard in advance that the comedy is side-splittingly funny would be let down, because it isn't really. I see the brilliance of the film's humour in its ability to not only get us to laugh in the face of the end of humanity, but also in the aforementioned satirical aspects. I guess part of my problem is I don't find Peter Sellers even remotely funny there, and the light-touch humor of the scene you described just doesn't seem all that satirical. Here's my problem, if the film weren't purported to be a comedy at all, I might still have swallowed it as an engaging "what if" drama, except even then I found the performances just didn't deliver on any level (comedy or drama) really.

Also, you touched on something that tends to bother everyone who watches the movie, which is: if this is supposed to be funny, than it truly is the sickest of all sick jokes. A lot of people really have problems with that, for sure. I have NO problem with that, I love dark humor, I even watched the entire season of Fox's "Woops!"... on purpose. :D Its message is still quite valid 40 years later, but the film still seems totally flat to me.

Anyhoo, enough of me apologizing for Strangelove, but if you see it on AMC or something, give it another try.No way, avoid it like the plague on AMC, they cut their movies up with commercials and content-edits now -- only watch it on TCM, as I did, or home video. As for giving it another try, if it comes around on TCM again when I have some spare time, I'll watch it again as is my nature to give second chances, but it left a pretty strong "flat and thin" impression on me the first time around (obviously, judging from my posts of it here ;)) so I probably won't get much more out of it.

2-1B
10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Disney movies. All of them.

"Anchorman" is another one. Hear me out. It was funny. It was a great Will Ferrel (sp?) movie. But everybody told me how freakin' hilarious it was and that I'd be laughing the whole time, and that I'd laugh myself sterile, etc., etc. When I expect something that's what I want. It's kinda like ordering a steak, getting a hamburger, and paying for it anyway. I think I actually laughed a half dozen times is all. It was too over the top.

Anchorman has got to be in my top 5 comedies of all time ! I love it more every time I watch it, which must be approaching the 50 mark by now...who knows, but it's been MANY times.

I'm glad your brother likes the Saw movies, at least. :D Nothing spectacular but they are very fun. I am looking forward to Saw 3. :)

General_Grievous
10-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Disney movies. All of them.

Really? There are a bunch I can name that are pretty good. Snow White, The Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Tarzan, the Pixar movies, and if you wanna delve into the live action movies, there's also Pirates of the Carribean and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

2-1B
10-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry, I meant the animated ones...just never got into them. I was forced to see Beauty & the Beast back when it came out, I was 13 and the experience left me scarred. lol lol lol

My sister, who is 2 years older than me, subjected me to The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, and other **** of that nature. I never cared for any of what I saw, not my thing.

To quote Paul Rudd, "I would rather watch Beautician and the Beast" lol lol lol lol lol

El Chuxter
10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Some of the Disney films were over-hyped, but that doesn't make them not great films.

Check out Lilo & Stitch, Dinosaur, and Atlantis for three I think you'd appreciate.

I saw most of Wedding Crashers yesterday. After not laughing even once at a film based on a potentially hilarious concept, and starring Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan, Christopher Walken, and Will Ferrell (something I previously thought impossible), I'd like to add that to this list.

2-1B
10-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Check out Lilo & Stitch

Been there, regretted that. :D I went to the theater with my friend and his nephew...I could not wait to get outta there. :crazed:

I saw most of Wedding Crashers yesterday. After not laughing even once at a film based on a potentially hilarious concept, and starring Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan, Christopher Walken, and Will Ferrell (something I previously thought impossible), I'd like to add that to this list.

Complete opposite for me, I think Ferrell's part is SPECTACULAR, he's got some great quotes in that movie. Ditto Wilson and Vaughn. Like Anchorman, that's another movie that gets better every time I see it. :)

Luuuuuuke
10-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Regarding "Dr. Strangelove," Jedi Tricks, I like it precisely because it manages to be funny while being spare. That's the word I would use. It doesn't overreach to get laughs, there's no overracting. It doesn't strive for cheap laughs.

And Sellers is perfect for that kind of movie. He's not trying to be funny in a Jim Carrey plastic-face kind of way. He's funny because he's more often than not in that movie, he plays being in an absurdly terrible predicament with such a straight face. As the president, Sellers conveys the sense of WTF is happening here? He's actually trying to be very reasonable, but reason doesn't work. That's why it's funny.

I love the line, "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here--this is the War Room!!"

sith_killer_99
10-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Dr. Strangelove is a great film, I didn't know it was so hyped. Many people I talk to have never even heard of it. LOL It's a classic!

Titanic-? I've never seen it and don't plan to.

Blair Witch Project-Overhyped!

Pearl Harbor-Way overhyped!

Catwoman-Overhyped

E.T.-Overhyped

The Grudge-Overhyped

Forrest Gump-Overhyped

Home Alone-Overhyped

Harry Potter (Any)-Overhyped

Jaws-Overhyped

War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise version)-WAY Overhyped

Signs-Overhyped

King Kong-Overhyped

The Day After Tomorrow-WAY Overhyped

Ocean's Eleven-Overhyped

Sure, some of these films were good, but great? Many of these films are in the top 100 for domentic box office sales!!!:rolleyes:

Rocketboy
10-15-2006, 10:54 PM
I saw most of Wedding Crashers yesterday. After not laughing even once at a film based on a potentially hilarious concept, and starring Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan, Christopher Walken, and Will Ferrell (something I previously thought impossible), I'd like to add that to this list.With the exception of the Will Ferrell bit, I agree. Wedding Crashers sucked.
I tried giving t a second shot on cable recently but could only watch for about 15 minutes before I got too bored.

El Chuxter
10-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Like I said, I didn't realize it was possible to go a full thirty minutes into a Vince Vaughan comedy or an Owen Wilson comedy, much less one with both, and not laugh once. I tuned out and read, and by the time Will Ferrell was on, I wasn't paying enough attention to care if he was funny or not.

scruffziller
10-16-2006, 10:24 AM
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

The over-hypedeness king of them all.

JimJamBonds
10-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Pearl Harbor... big hype and it was a carp movie.

2-1B
02-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Mac and Me

DarthQuack
02-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Mac and Me

Don't you stare speak of that Oscar worthy film in a dimutive manner...

and staying on topic....The Great Land of Small (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093116/)

General_Grievous
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
You know, I have to say "Juno".

Sure, it was a good movie, but Oscar good? I don't think so.

Rocketboy
02-24-2008, 07:33 PM
You know, I have to say "Juno".

Sure, it was a good movie, but Oscar good? I don't think so.Yeah, it was too good for the Oscars.

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Transformers. How the hell did this documentary about robotic lemurs having all sorts of kinky sex get more than five people to watch it?

Rocketboy
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Michael Bay has mind-control powers over the weak-minded.

General_Grievous
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
No, it's Spielberg who has that power. How else do you think that many people saw "War of the Worlds"?

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
At least Steven had an excellent track record up to that point, including several worthy Best Picture Oscar nominees and winners.

General_Grievous
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Personally, I don't think any of his movies are bad (that I've seen, anyway). It's just that WOTW wasn't as good as the rest of his stuff.

Rocketboy
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
War of the Worlds was watchable and had a few decent parts.

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Personally, I don't think any of his movies are bad (that I've seen, anyway). It's just that WOTW wasn't as good as the rest of his stuff.
Neither are Always, 1941, or Amistad. Even Hook isn't particularly good when you disregard John Williams' amazing score. But when you've done Close Encounters, ET, all three Indy movies, Schindler's List, Jaws, etc, etc, etc, you can get away with a few movies that aren't as good as the rest.

decadentdave
02-24-2008, 10:31 PM
No Country For Old Men. Dull. Predictable. Pretentious. Javier Bartem tries to channel the pathos of a cliched serial killer in the spirit of Hannibal Lecter or Frank from Blue Velvet. What psychopath is going to walk around killing people carrying a heavy tank of compressed air? And Tommy Lee Jones looking like he's got one foot in the grave while sitting around waxing on like some Walmart hick about how times have gotten so bad that it's no country for old geezers. Yawn.

General_Grievous
02-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Exactly (in fact, the tripod foghorn is one of my favorite sound effects of all time, but I digest). Some of the stuff that people consider to be Spielberg's worst, like "Hook", aren't bad movies at all. The guy's still got a great track record with stuff like "Munich".

Jargo
02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
you can't compare WOTW with Hook at all. one is a kids movie aimed squarely at entertaining younger kids on a rainy sunday afternoon while the other is an action movie with 'realism' and "frightening sequences of sci-fi violence and disturbing images". Chalk and cheese.

Tom Cruise sank WOTW, (or Party in Fresno), His real world shenanigans overshadowed and possibly eclipsed the movie. Why anyone employs that dork i really don't know. It's like instant death signing him. I also think the setting of WOTW in this decade was a bum move. it worked in 1957 but Spielberg should have done a period piece and followed the book. IMO the story only works because of the juxtaposition of the Victorian era and the monstrous machines beyond any known technology of the time. it's an allegorical fable. Spielberg took no notice and made just another hokey sci-fi B movie. Very lazy.

General_Grievous
02-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I wasn't comparing WOTW and Hook. I was just saying that those are a few of the lesser-celebrated Spielberg films.

stillakid
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
No Country For Old Men. Dull. Predictable. Pretentious. Javier Bartem tries to channel the pathos of a cliched serial killer in the spirit of Hannibal Lecter or Frank from Blue Velvet. What psychopath is going to walk around killing people carrying a heavy tank of compressed air? And Tommy Lee Jones looking like he's got one foot in the grave while sitting around waxing on like some Walmart hick about how times have gotten so bad that it's no country for old geezers. Yawn.

Predictable? Pretentious?

You'll HAVE to explain how you arrived at those two conclusions.

For anyone who didn't enjoy this movie or others like it, there's a new superficial "dance" contest movie out that is sure to entertain. Lots of bright shiny objects and a killer soundtrack to download. :love:

General_Grievous
02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Dave, I think you were watching a different movie, because "No Country" was in no way predictable.

Jargo
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
For anyone who didn't enjoy this movie or others like it, there's a new superficial "dance" contest movie out that is sure to entertain. Lots of bright shiny objects and a killer soundtrack to download. :love:

Actually that's fairly offensive. :tired:

decadentdave
02-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Dave, I think you were watching a different movie, because "No Country" was in no way predictable.

Gee, guy finds drug dealer loot. Takes drug dealer loot. Bad Mexican comes after him. Watching this film was like watching paint dry it was so mindlessly dull. They tried to make Javier's character intimidating with a long plodding scene where he applies a "coin toss" to determine fate. It's nothing more than pornographic violence. I was totally bored. I'd rather watch True Romance.

El Chuxter
02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, gee, thanks for the spoiler warning there. :mad: I haven't seen this yet, and want to.

vader121
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Over-hyped slop ...

Legend of Narnia
Star Wars: Phantom Menace
Wedding Crashers
ANY Ben Stiller movie

decadentdave
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, gee, thanks for the spoiler warning there. :mad: I haven't seen this yet, and want to.

Gee, if you couldn't have guessed. Moral of the story: Don't mess with drug dealers' money.

plasticfetish
02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, gee, thanks for the spoiler warning there. :mad: I haven't seen this yet, and want to.OH how decadent of you decadentdave! Spoiling the movie like that...

The thing's been out for ages now Chux, and I think it's gonna be a little hard to avoid conversation about a film that just won "best picture" at this point. (Are we allowed to talk about Ghandi yet?) You may just want to go see it. DD's summary is a little simplistic (my opinion), so I think you'll still probably enjoy the film.

Saying that No Country for Old Men was over-hyped is kind of a larf anyway. I'm thinking back over the last few years, and I can't think of a film that was more word-of-mouth driven than that one.

Loved it BTW. Was probably the only thing mentioned last night (in any category) that I'd seen. I can't understand what you thought was "dull" about that film DD. I was tense all the way through, and then for about an hour after.

General_Grievous
02-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Wah. If you crybabies think that's a spoiler then you must be retarded. What do you think happens to people who steal drug money? Duh.

Yeah, in real life maybe. But there are movies where the drug dealers lose everything.

SPOILER ALERT

Ever seen "Scarface"?

END SPOILER

See? I included spoiler warnings. It's really not that difficult, Dave. Just a few extra words to type. Doesn't take much of your time.

plasticfetish
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Wah. If you crybabies think that's a spoiler then you must be retarded.Yes... yes, we're retarded.

Anyway, opinions noted. Moving on...

2-1B
02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
No Country for Old Men, Juno, and Wedding Crashers are all wonderful films.

El Chuxter
02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Wow. I was just waiting for the DVD to see it, which should be in a month or so. All I knew about it was it was a new Coen Bros flick, and Tommy Lee Jones was in it. That's all I needed to know. Just be more considerate of people who haven't seen movies before dropping what sound like major plot points in a thread that's about movies in general, and don't get your panties in a bunch, DD.

Given the typically short run of movies in theaters, the cost (and crowd annoyance factor), and the really short turnaround for DVD, No Country for Old Men is a little different from Ghandi, PF. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
It doesn't matter how long a flick has been out, don't spoil stuff in this general thread. If you want to talk spoilers about the flick, either put them in spoiler text or discuss that particular film in its own proper thread. It's just polite. Thanks and continue discussion! :thumbsup:

plasticfetish
02-25-2008, 06:49 PM
No Country for Old Men is a little different from Ghandi, PF. :pHah! I'll need to wait 'til you've seen the movie before we can have that conversation. If you can (and I understand how f***ing hard it is to get out to see a film when you have a kid), try to see it on the big screen.

And I'll be buying that DVD... can't wait to see what extras they give us.

jjreason
02-25-2008, 07:17 PM
I really was enjoying No Country.... but then it ended before it was over. :(