PDA

View Full Version : Titanium question...

Reverend Strone
02-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi all- first post for me here.

I'm hoping you can answer a question fro me please. recently a good friend of mine at Hasbro sent me some Titanium ships- very nice I must say and I'm now hooked on wanting to collect them. The only thing is, I'm confused. He sent me the X-Wing, Tie-fighter, Slave 1 and Falcon, but also a Snowspeeder. For the life of me, I can't fugure out where the snowspeeder fits in the line.

From all the info I can find, the only titanium ships available so far should be the first four with the Republic Gunship and Y-wing on the way soon. So where has the Snowspeeder come from? Was it an exclusive? Has it even be announced?

It also came with a list of all the other ships in the series, of which there were a good twenty or so, including a bunch of them from Ep III, but there was no breakdown of release schedule on them, so I couldn't tell which were out already and which were still on their way some time in the future.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Have I got something special here?

Kidhuman
02-14-2005, 11:13 PM
I havent heard anything about the snowspeeder, if possible can you post a pic of it??? Maybe it willbe released with the Gunship and Y-Wing.

sicqnus
02-15-2005, 03:28 AM
The Snowspeeder was released back in 1996/97 by Galoob. The Titaniums are all recasts of the Galoob die-cast collection except the Gunship wich is totally new. The Snowspeeder could be another recast.

darktrooper7
02-15-2005, 05:39 AM
It also came with a list of all the other ships in the series, of which there were a good twenty or so, including a bunch of them from Ep III

Could you post up the list of the other ships? Im sure everyone here would be very interested in seeing it :)

Reverend Strone
02-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi guys. I'll try and get a picture of the snowspeeder up here later today. It's a nufty litttle model with fold-down landing gear, a hinged canopy and air-brakes that pop up as per that great scene with Rogue 2 cresting the ridge in ESB.

I'm a little cagey about posting the list- just because I'm worried that with all the Ep III stuff on it someone at Hasbro mightn't be too pleased about it being spoiled. I'd hate this to get back to my buddy there and have him get in trouble. Looking at this now I'm beginning to think that, had he known this was in the package, he might have delayed sending it out for a while to avoid spoiling.

I'll tell you this much though- there are 24 skus on the list. 14 were classic trilogy, 3 were EpI/II and the remaining 7 were all Ep III craft. There's some cool stuff in there, and a few odd ones that look like they might be repaints. There's also one that I suspect is a typo because its name contradicts movie canon to my knowledge.

If I'm feeling a little braver later on, I'll post it. Sorry to be such a tease. I hope you guys understand my hesitation.

Reverend Strone
02-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Here we go- pics of said speeder...

JediTricks
02-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Did that come in a package or was it loose? What does the copyright info read? The photos look identical to the one I have from Galoob right down to the paint masks, although the stand looks like one from the Action Fleet Battle Packs since it's black with iridescent paint (the Die Cast stands were blue with silver paint) - the former wouldn't be that surprising though since that's what Hasbro's been using so far, but I have no idea if the latter is what Hasbro's using now.

Reverend Strone
02-15-2005, 11:23 PM
It was in a pack just like the rest. It had it's own unique frame design just like all the other ships. I'm really wishing I'd kept the pack now, but I'm a take-'em-out-of-the-box kinda guy- as nice as the pack was (whoever designed these packs needs a medal or something- they're beautiful and almost outshine the product inside).

The copyright text underneath says c2004 LFL on one wing and c2004 GTI on the other- again, just like the other four.

The stand is identical to all the other ones in the Titanium series.

I didn't really think the speeder was anything special until I couldn't find any reference to it being for sale on the web. The only thing different about the snowspeeder than the other four Titaniums I received was the fact that in the bottom of the pack it had the brochure for the rest of the line.

Kidhuman
02-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Very interesting Reverend. Maybe they willrelease it, or I am wondering if maybe they used it as a mock up in the package?????

JediTricks
02-17-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm really surprised they updated the mold for the '04 date but didn't change "GTI" since that's a reference to Galoob Toys, Inc. as the copyright holder. I haven't seen the current sets already on shelves though, so maybe they say that too. Pretty cool.

Kidhuman
02-17-2005, 10:06 PM
I couldnt tell you if the new ones say it or not, I havent opened them yet. I did pick up the X-Wing today and now have all 4 of wave 1. These are really sweet JT,I know you have them already,but I would get these as well.

JediTricks
02-18-2005, 05:15 PM
I would if my local WMs ever got any, but alas, none of the ones I go to have 'em.

Reverend Strone
02-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Well the more I look at this snowspeder, the more I think I just got incredibly lucky and am holding a production model of a toy that wasn't supposed to be sold until the next set comes out. It is definately not a mock-up piece, but an actual production item. My buddy at Hasbro has said he'll get me more when he can lay hands on them, so perhaps this was kjust ready ahead of the rest of the series its scehduled to be released with? :)

Anyways- SPOILER TIME...

With Toyfair on now and the likelihood that this will be anounced there anyways, here is the list of up and coming Titanium ships that came with packed the snowspeeder (exactly as listed):

Tie Fighter
X-Wing
Slave 1
Millenium Falcon
Y-Wing Fighter
Imperial Star Destroyer
Snowspeeder
AT-RT
Republic Attack Gunship
Jedi Starfighter
Droid Tri-Fighter
A-Wing Fighter
X-Wing Fighter (Gold Leader) -wasn't gold leader flying a y-Wing? :confused:
Landspeeder
Tie Bomber
ARC 170 Starfighter
Clone Swampspeeder
Naboo Starfighter
Battle-ravaged Millenium Falcon
Jedi Starfighter (version 2)
Royal Starship
Tyderium Shuttle

Loads of cool stuff to come it would seem.

Enjoy folks!

LTBasker
02-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Oiy...all those at $5 bucks a pop. I'ts not right I tell you, it's not right. They're awesome, but that's too much. :p

britcit3
02-19-2005, 03:09 AM
IS that this REAL?

BC3

Reverend Strone
02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
IS that this REAL?

Yes it is. I'm not trying to fool anyone or put one over on you. This is what the flyer inside my snowspeeder packet revealed. It's an odd list, and not what I would have expected, but it is absolutely real and I expect someone should be able to verify it soon- given Toyfair is on right now.

Enjoy, and start saving! ;)

Kidhuman
02-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the tip off Reverend. Nice list, I think alot of thoose are the Traget Exclusives though, cant see them releasing the same stuff in different lines

JediGoofy
02-21-2005, 04:14 AM
Comparing the Galoob Die-Cast and X-Ray lines and the Trilogy Gift Set content with RS's list, it comes out we are going to see 7 new vehicles! :)
(AT-RT, Republic Attack Gunship, Jedi Starfighter, Droid Tri-Fighter, ARC 170 Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter version 2).
We are also getting a lost E1 toy: Naboo Starfighter! :D
And a couple of alternate versions: X-Wing Gold Leader and battle-ravaged Millennium Falcon. :neutral:
(Besides 12 rehashes :ermm: )
All in all a very good assortment I will say ... :classic: ... IF Hasbro does not cancel the line before we get the good stuff. :rolleyes:

Ciao,
JediGoofy

P.S. For those interested the mentioned lists follow.

OT Die-Cast:
X-wing Starfighter
TIE Fighter
Millennium Falcon
Imperial Star Destroyer
Jawa Sandcrawler
Y-wing Starfighter
A-wing Starfighter
Slave I
Executor with Star Destroyer
TIE Bomber
Snowspeeder
Landspeeder
Death Star

Episode 1 Die-Cast:
Royal Starship
Trade Federation Droid Fighter
Gian Speeder
Trade Federation Battleship
Sith Infiltrator
Republic Cruiser
Trade Federation Tank
Sebulbaís Podracer

X-Ray:
Darth Vaderís TIE Fighter
A-wing Starfighter
Imperial AT-AT
X-wing Starfighter
Jawa Sandcrawler
Millennium Falcon
Boba Fettís Slave I
Y-wing Starfighter
TIE Bomber
B-wing Starfighter
TIE Fighter
Landspeeder
Imperial AT-ST
Snowspeeder

Trilogy Gift Set (painted plastic):
Jawa Sandcrawler
Millennium Falcon
Boba Fettís Slave I
Imperial AT-AT
X-wing Starfighter
Darth Vaderís TIE Fighter
A-wing Starfighter
Y-wing Starfighter
Imperial Class Shuttle
Shuttle Tydirium with X-ray detail

JediTricks
03-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Well, now that the wave 2 sets are starting to trickle out, someone found one here in the states and Steve has added images of the catalog: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=2075

(Weird catalog shape!)

BTW, the reason we didn't see them at New York Toy Fair was because the line is exclusive, and Toy Fair is about shopping toys around to multiple retailers so bringing an exclusive defeats the purpose. I really wish these weren't exclusives.

matthewilw
03-22-2005, 12:44 PM
So is the first Jedi Starfighter listed the one from AOTC, and the version 2 is from ROTS? Or are they both from ROTS with just different colors?

BobaFett77
03-22-2005, 07:00 PM
is wave 2 and on still exclusive to walmart or did someone else pick them up?

JediTricks
03-23-2005, 05:43 AM
Still exclusive. :(

Kidhuman
03-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Cool, I like WM exclusives since that is the best store around here, three stores to one over Target, and 0 over TRU.

OC47150
03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Still haven't seen them. Check every WM I go to, too.

sicqnus
03-23-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/id.1168/dn/default.cfm

New pics on Hasbro's website.

They will be in stores at the beginning of april.

good shot jansen
05-14-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm really surprised they updated the mold for the '04 date but didn't change "GTI" since that's a reference to Galoob Toys, Inc. as the copyright holder. I haven't seen the current sets already on shelves though, so maybe they say that too. Pretty cool.

definately cool :cool:

i am absolutely gonna go and track these titaniums down, if for no other reason but to have a toy that syas gti 04

maybe hasbro will reintroduce the galoob brand name in the future.

afterall they own other companies that still kept their original name like wizards of the coast.

britcit3
05-14-2005, 01:33 PM
GSJ

The Ep3 Titaniums are well worth having - Obi's starfighter is BEAUTIFUL.

Cheerio

BC3

OC47150
05-16-2005, 07:59 AM
I picked up the A-wing at the April 2 tent sale. A fellow collector in the state picked up Slave 1 and a Jedi starfighter for me; they're on the way.

Boy, these buggers are hard to find!

AndyW
05-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Whats the going price on ebay for the whole set (Wave 2, not bothered about the rehashes of Wave 1)?

I can't afford to grab these at the moment, and I'm so scared I'm going to miss them. Have a friend in the US who I may ask to find them for me, he lives in Miami, are these really that hard to find then? Anyone in that part of the US?

Also want that exclusive pack with the Jedi Starfighter in Obi-Wans colours, don't really like Anakins colours, still want both though. :D

Kidhuman
05-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Okay, I got two extra Slave 1's and Falcons on lay-a-way for a member on the boards. He managed to get them while on Vacation, so I have em on lay-a-way if anyone is interested. PM me and we can work out the details. Thanks

Warstar
05-25-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm collecting these- only because I couldn't bring myself to sell my original Galoob ones...

SO!

Anyone else here shuddering at the Exclusive Titanium Series Gold X-Wing from Celebration III- limited to 250 pieces? Heh- Ebay is WAY to expensive...darn it.

Otherwise, the only new ones I have will be 7 out of 8 from Wave 2 I found recently at my local Wally World- I put them on layaway as well. Just got to get the AT-RT and the original 4 released and I'll have them all (out proudly on display)

I may no longer get all the figures like I used to, but I still cant help but collect these ships and the Lego Mini's (and that's been an adventure unto itself, lemme tell you...)

I'm about to PM you, kidhuman ;)

Kidhuman
05-26-2005, 01:08 AM
PM'd ya back and can get you the AT-Rt as well. LMK.

JediTricks
05-26-2005, 02:16 AM
I saw that gold X-wing, I am not sure of it really, part of me feels a little pull at it because it does look special, but another part of me doesn't want any more non-toy stuff. The deciding factor was that Marilyn already got me a gold plated version of that mold (well, it's immediate ancestor, the X-ray mold) in the form of the Galoob 24k gold series (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=74201&#post74201) which she found at Big Lots and sent me (and then was so patient when I was unable to pay her back for a while... running theme in my life).

KH here got me the new DCs here in wave 2, which is excellent since I haven't seen any of them in stores, only the revisits (which are nice, but I have like 5 of those Star Destroyers already).

Warstar
05-26-2005, 05:35 PM
I hear ya on the re-molds. I never got the 24K series- weren't they all plastic?

I do want that X-Wing, just because it is part of the Titanium Series, but I don't want to shell out the bucks for it yet...though I probably will at some point.

I'm just glad I kept up with the Galoob ones back in the day because that second series (Death Star, etc.) is a pretty penny to get nowadays.

I have the JC Penney pack of the plastic ones- I wish they had made those Metal.

And thanks KH! :D

Val Da Car
05-26-2005, 10:05 PM
What is the line at Target then?

Rehashes....of MM or something else.

I just got the Titanium A Wing & the Target Slave 1 & Imperial Shuttle.

Kidhuman
05-26-2005, 10:11 PM
The line at Target is the old X-Ray line.

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 04:05 AM
What is the line at Target then? Rehashes....of MM or something else. "Micro Vehicles", rehashes of some of the old MM X-ray Fleet molds shot in colors instead of clear and given paint (not good work though). The sets also include 2 new micro-figures which can't really hold a candle to the MM minifigs I feel (and I was no lover of those little-green-army-men type guys back in the day :p).

I hear ya on the re-molds. I never got the 24K series- weren't they all plastic? Yes, plastic covered in real gold, this Hasbro one appears to only be gold-paint on metal and clear plastic other parts, making it look a little like a test shot to me.

I'm just glad I kept up with the Galoob ones back in the day because that second series (Death Star, etc.) is a pretty penny to get nowadays. Yeah, that 2nd wave of Galoob Die Cast were awesome, and that is the ONLY toy of the Death Star proper, I have mine in the center of my display.

I have the JC Penney pack of the plastic ones- I wish they had made those Metal.I'm assuming you mean the 3 in that set that WEREN'T done in die-cast already, the Imperial Shuttle, Vader's TIE, and the AT-AT. All would be great as die-cast now, but they'd still have to have features included the way the original modified molds had them.

Warstar
05-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Those are the 3 I mean (Shuttle, AT-AT and DV's TF). A metal Darth's TIE would rock :)

Anyway, there is a bit more to the Gold Celebration X-wing than just the ship- it does commemorate the SW Celebration III. Lookie here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=99971&item=6532842479&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It has "Indianapolis 2005" Printed on the side, and "Star Wars Celebration III" Printed on its Wing. It's unique in that way and that way only...

Plus, getting it will be the only way to have a complete Titaniums collection...meaning only 250 complete collections in the WORLD are possible...and I'm a freak like that ;)

BTW- I know you do Lego's, too- what do you think of the Lego Death Star II? I dig the Star Destroyer more...but having a DS II would be great, too! :)

good shot jansen
05-27-2005, 08:34 PM
i never picked up the galoob goldies cause they were only meant as display pieces, not toys. the same would go for this celeb. III gold titanium. it's purpose is strictly for display, and is not intended for playing with.

the closest i ever came to that was the balance of power set, the balancing x-wing and tie fighter. i got it cause it really does look cool, and you can play with it a bit, twirling it about. but as for the special edition micros being clad in gold, not interested.

wait a minute, now that i think of it, all of my episode II hasbro af's were never meant to be played with....right? the big selling point was that they came with a display stand. nothing about playable features, just the display stand.......hmmmmmmmm. guess i was wrong, i have bought some crap that is only meant as a do nothing display piece :ermm:

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Sorry WS, but that text looks as crummy as it can get, it's like Hasbro just said "take cheap text and put it anywhere it'll fit", I definitely don't approve. But you're right, it does have those 2 extra differences, not that I can imagine why you'd want 'em.

As for the UCS DS2, it looks interesting, but not quite "great", though I haven't seen it in-person. The effect doesn't seem as cool as the UCS ISD, this is too repetitious, uniform, and gappy for my tastes. If you're a fan of gray plates though, this thing is the king.

GSJ, the Balance of Power uses the MM TIE and the X-ray Fleet X-wing, correct?

good shot jansen
05-28-2005, 10:17 AM
jes, the balance of power is indeed a x-ray sized x-wing fighting an mm sized tie fighter

of further note, the certificate of authenticity that came with the balance of power set, was signed by howard roffman, vice president of licensing for lucasfilm, the same fellow who signed the certificates for the code 3 pieces. (the sig on the code 3 certificate is legit, the sig on the balance of power is not really signed, but is a printed representation of howard roffman's sig). when he signed the code 3 pieces he was promoted to president of licensing for lucasfilm.

Warstar
05-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Interesting- I didn't know that the Balance of Power set had an X-Ray-scaled X-Wing...hmm. Might have to get that now :)

I display my ships, as I really am too old to play with them...darn it. I do, however, on occaision, take them off the stands and study them from different angles and what-not. The filmmaker in me likes seeing things from all sorts of different angles, and these ships are no exception. :p

As for getting the CIII Gold X-Wing, eh, it's the completist in me. I was never happy unless I had EVERYTHING of EVERYTHING, which is why my collection got so large I had/have no place to keep most of it out (like 95% is boxed someplace). This is what lead me down the road of selling things, since I have no house to keep the stuff in and I'm not appreciating it like it deserves. I'll get it all back someday. It's what I am working toward.

However, in the things I still choose to collect (i.e. the Lego Mini's and Titaniums), I still want them all- they don't take up too much space and dang are they cool :) Some exceptions apply, like my Playmates Trek Ships- I'm keeping them because I will find the space to display someday :p I do still buy the occaisional cool figure, too :)

Back to Legos-

I thought the UCS DS2, while neat, was a tad redundant. To me, the DS2 was sort of "random-" that is, it was so symmetrical in its "incompleteness." I think it's nifty but I agree- the Star Destroyer is indeed a much cooler piece.

If Lego wanted to do another $300 large size piece they should have picked something the Executor (Darth Vader's Star Destroyer), or maybe even the Medical Frigate from Empire, as those Cruiser ships are both pretty cool and would look in UCS scale, IMHO.

JediTricks
05-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info GSJ, I had no idea how small that Death Star base was, I had always thought it was significantly bigger (I think Galoob had a picture that suggested it this way). Is yours sagging or was it always that way? I like the forced-perspective feel of the set, it looks like a good desk item (not that I have space on my desk for... anything ;)). Howard Roffman's signature is horrid, makes mine looks genius and mine is a disaster. :p

WS, I used to be a Hasbro figure completist until the Saga line broke me of it, and I must say that being a non-completist is SO much more fun as a collector, you get to choose things you actually LIKE instead of feeling forced to buy everything.

As for the UCS SSD, I don't think they could pull that off at $300, it'd be too thin to stack up against the ISD they already did, so either it'd be ridiculously long or closer to a $200 set. One of their designers did a wicked super-scale SSD though, that thing blew my mind. I think their next big UCS set should be something like an AT-AT with realistic interior, that's what really gets my attention on big sets. The Falcon still needs to be UCSed as well.

good shot jansen
05-30-2005, 12:12 PM
here's a dead on shot, although there is the slightest amount of convex bending to the laser balst. it is not sagging. the wings of the tie fighter are not in perfect alignment, this adds to the overall sagging appearance.

as a kid i loved mobiles. i always had a liking for alexander calders artwork, the balance of power set, kind of reminds me of that kind of art.

galoob was so far ahead of the curve, even when they made strictly display pieces, they still figured out how to include a bit o' fun in them.

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 04:21 AM
Ok, I see it now, it's much straighter than the way the 4th pic you showed in the previous post looks. My guess would be that the angle picked up the slight imperfection and amplified it or something, an optical illusion.

I like how they painted the laser blasts on and off as it gets closer to the TIE instead of just leaving it solid, the way Hasbro likely would.

BTW, I think I would have bought this set if it had been metal, but it probably would have been too expensive or too heavy to work. I wish Galoob had made a mobile-like frame so you could do this sort of thing with your own MMs.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Has every Wal-Mart been sold out of these for awhile now? I haven't spied a Titanium Vehicle since a few weeks after Midnight Madness. I was lucky enough to grab two prior to their disappearance. Has anyone else been having trouble finding them as well?

JediTricks
05-31-2005, 08:21 PM
I've never NOT had trouble finding them.

Kidhuman
06-01-2005, 12:16 AM
I have boatloads of them here LBC. I could supply the entire forums between 2 WM's.

OC47150
06-01-2005, 07:55 AM
The two WMs closest to me never carried them. I've only seen them at the WM that did the April 2 tent sale, but not since then.

I'd like to see some of the others.