PDA

View Full Version : After the Vong comes. . . The Joiner King!

El Chuxter
02-16-2005, 02:15 PM
starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/news20050215.html) has some info on the upcoming novel The Joiner King, which takes place after the Yuuzhan Vong are unceremoniously whomped:

First Look: The Joiner King
February 15, 2005

Luke Skywalker is worried: A handful of Jedi Knights, including his nephew and niece, Jaina and Jacen Solo, have disappeared into the Unknown Regions in response to a strange cry for help that only they could hear. The isolationist Chiss have angrily lodged a formal complaint, accusing the missing Jedi of meddling in a border dispute between the Chiss and an unidentified aggressor.
Luke has no choice but to head to the Unknown Regions in an attempt to stem the growing tensions before they spill out of control. Han and Leia follow, intent on protecting their children from what could be grave danger. But none of them are prepared for what they find when they reach their destination.

A colony of mysterious aliens is expanding toward the edge of Chiss space. The leader of the alien nest is resolute. Adept in the Force, he is drawing old friends to his side, compelling them to join the colony and meld their Force-abilities with his, even if it leads to all-out war....

Thus begins the Dark Nest trilogy by author Troy Denning. Here's a first look at the cover art by Cliff Nielsen. Dark Nest I: The Joiner King is slated for paperback release from Del Rey Books on July 26, 2005. And included as a special bonus: the short story Ylesia by Walter Jon Williams, previously only available in ebook format.

I'm not sure what to make of this. This being a trilogy, it looks almost as if the world of the EU is setting itself up for more lame villain-of-the-month stories. Doesn't seem to me like the right way to go after the massive (love it or hate it) NJO.

I'd like some answers about what happened with Coruscant and other Vong-devastated worlds following their defeat. Hopefully this will deliver. The guy did write Star by Star, after all.

scruffziller
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
DAWG GONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

They stole my Star Trek/SW crossover idea. In which I had Palpy becoming the leader of the Borg in which his knowledge of the darkside is assimilated into their being.

InsaneJediGirl
02-20-2005, 03:19 PM
I hope this is good as well,but who knows?I thought the post-NJO should be more "personal" too Chux,whats happening to our favorite galactic heros and how the rebuilding of the galaxy was going.Hopefully it wont be skimmed over all too much.

Maybe this alien-nest guy will become a apprentice with the Jedi :crazed:

Darth Grifter
02-24-2005, 12:02 AM
it does seem kind of anti-climactic that this series goes right back to the chiss when the vong are still around and worlds of glory like coruscant are in ruins (or repair)...i'm sure that this will be good, it just seems like a different story line than what i was expecting...

mastermatt24
07-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey guys- I picked this book up two days ago in Alaska. I wouldve started it but I have to finish the Unifying force first. Im kinda worried about this book.. I peeked at the characters list.. and theres a "male Ewok" as one of the characters :rolleyes: But it is Troy Denning after all, and I hope the Chiss part is not as bad as it was in the remnant triology :neutral: Once I start Ill let you guys know how it is.

El Chuxter
07-25-2005, 12:09 PM
I must be behind. But the news of an Ewok taking part RULES!

I can't wait. Mr Denning is one of the best SW authors. But Rowling comes first.

mastermatt24
08-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Im 50 pages in.. Its OK so far, I really like Ben for some reason. Theres also almost a sex scene in it which was really funny.
_____
I finished NJO yester really early in the morning (12:30) and I really liked the Unifying force but I whished that the battle scenes couldve been longer and with less time spent on stupid things (like the 30 pages in the begining about the slave camp- it wasnt bad but it couldve beencut down)

Deoxyribonucleic
08-03-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm half way through and this book is just plain weird!! Not bad, just damn strange and I'm really trying to figure out why T. Denning is writing this?? There's some parts in there that just don't make sense. Thoughts that end without being finished, new paragraphs that seem to come out of nowhere and have nothing to do with what you were just reading previously. Hmmm, I dunno, guess I gotta wait to finish it. :confused:

mastermatt24
08-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Thats funny.. I was noticing that too. I thought he was better than this??
:confused:
And my god.. who the hell thought of going back to the chiss?? Ive had enough of them with the NJO trilogy written by those two clowns.. :ermm: I cant wait for that 9 book series that Sue Rostoni spilled 2 yrs ago at CC. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Thats funny.. I was noticing that too. I thought he was better than this??
:confused:

I'm glad, I thought maybe I was crazy :crazed: ;)

And my god.. who the hell thought of going back to the chiss?? Ive had enough of them with the NJO trilogy written by those two clowns.. :ermm:

I know, they are actually pretty boring characters if you ask me. And this whole insect thing is a little too much like NJO Vong, but just a very, very weak approach. They could have definitely thought of some better villians.

I cant wait for that 9 book series that Sue Rostoni spilled 2 yrs ago at CC. :D

Hey what's this you speak of?? I missed cc last year :frus: But never again!

I'm stoked for "Dark Lord: The RIse of Darth Vader" by James Luceno. This book is going to be awesome but it doesn't come out until November...something to look forward too though :)

mastermatt24
08-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey what's this you speak of?? I missed cc last year :frus: But never again!
OK- It was the CC before this years. I think it was Tycho that asked the panel people (Sue Rostoni, Shelly Shaperio, Aaron Allston, Greg Keys, Micheal Reeves, Timothy Zahn, Steven Barnes.. I think that was it) a question, and Sue got confused and asked Tycho if he was talking about the "9 part series with the jedi kids after the njo", and then immediatly Shelly was bugging her eyes at Sue, and you could tell that she was really really ticked that she spilled. After she realized what she had said she was like "oops.." and then they decided to tell us some more- She said that Aarron is going to be writing a big chunk of it. :)
I wasnt at CC this year- but from what I heard it was a big waste :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
OK- It was the CC before this years. I think it was Tycho that asked the panel people (Sue Rostoni, Shelly Shaperio, Aaron Allston, Greg Keys, Micheal Reeves, Timothy Zahn, Steven Barnes.. I think that was it) a question, and Sue got confused and asked Tycho if he was talking about the "9 part series with the jedi kids after the njo", and then immediatly Shelly was bugging her eyes at Sue, and you could tell that she was really really ticked that she spilled. After she realized what she had said she was like "oops.." and then they decided to tell us some more- She said that Aarron is going to be writing a big chunk of it. :)
I wasnt at CC this year- but from what I heard it was a big waste :rolleyes:I was at that panel discussion, and while it was a "spoiler" that was given away, it was only a rough outline with no details whatsoever. Still, kinda cool to know that people sometimes make mistkaes, um, I mean mistakes. :p

mastermatt24
08-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Im pretty sure she did say nine though right? :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Im pretty sure she did say nine though right? :confused:I think so.

I have not been reading the comments in this thread, since I hadn't even bought the book yet. Well, now I'm 30 chapters in, and it's not bad. I like the use of OT SW phrases used in different contexts (such as "certain point of view," "closer?" the Evazan/Luke/PondaBaba speech, and others). I also like that there's not really a "secret" to the story, but just trying to solve a problem with an uncertain foe/foes. El Chuxter will like the fact that apparently there's a kid's game called "Teeks and Ewoks" mentioned.

I should be able to finish it today.

El Chuxter
08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Teeks and Ewoks, eh? Very cool. As soon as I finish Harry Potter 5, I'll get started on this!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2005, 06:09 PM
I should be able to finish it today.And so I did.

It gets more than the typical "eh" that most of the SW novels have been for me lately, but still not great. I think I've realized why SW fiction has been so disappointing for me recently.

#1 It's not "fun."
There has been too much "reality" to the stories, be it comparisons to our real life (Yhuzzan [sp?] Vong war or Clone Wars like war on terror, political scheming, bioenginering, etc.) or characters being a bit to cerebral or moody.

#2 There aren't good cliffhangers.
This novel leaves us with the knowledge that there will be more books, only because the cover says "Dark Nest I," assuming there will be two more to complete the trilogy. I like the eager waiting, even if it's frustrating to not know (see the Harry Potter series for an effective technique of wait-and-see).

Where's Lando, in action not just in name? Nice to see how they're trying to integrate some scenes and info from the Prequel films. Leia's decision by the end of the story will be interesting to see how it develops, too. It was tough to re-familiarize myself with the NJO over by reading the "Ylesia" e-book included in the book, but I think it was an okay addition to this story (like background info). I give this a 7/10.

mastermatt24
08-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Here's an interesting timeline for upcoming novels (that includes the nine part series): http://www.theforce.net/books/bookschedule.asp
I hope that it is correct. :)

El Chuxter
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Dude, how can you folks not love this?

The Killiks are still alive, and they built Centerpoint Station? :eek:

An Ewok with a 'tude?

Man, this is going to be a good book!

El Chuxter
08-25-2005, 01:58 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!

I read further, and this just became the best Star Wars book since Vision of the Future. Maybe even better.

I had to put the book down for a couple of minutes when Luke came across the recording of Anakin and Padme.

And when I picked it up, I wasn't too concerned with the bugs and dark Jedi and such. I did something I normally don't do. I skipped ahead and read about Luke and Leia viewing the recording of Obi-Wan and Padme.

This is going to lead into something I've been waiting a very long time for. It may be in the next book, it may be held off until the 9-book series. I don't care.

As far as I'm concerned, Raynar and Welk and Jag and Jaina and Saba and everyone else are a minor subplot that happens to take up 99.9% of the novel.

Because now Luke and Leia know that one of the most reliable witnesses to their father's downfall has been with them for three decades, just being very quiet about what he knew. With the exception of a few scenes, R2-D2 was present for the entire Prequel Trilogy, and who knows how much he was filming.

I could read an entire novel about Luke and Leia watching old holos of the "prequels" and seeing their reactions.

InsaneJediGirl
08-31-2005, 11:03 AM
I thought The Joiner King was alright,perhaps once the next two novels come out,I'll rate it a bit higher. The humor was handled nicely,as was the character development,especially for Luke and Leia.Them seeing the footage of their mother and such,I hope its carried onto the next books and their past revealed.

Ben Skywalker was....okay.I thought he was protrayed more as a brat to be honest.Then again,I didnt like the way Anakin Solo was protrayed in a number of books as a kid.Luckly that changed during the NJO.

What I really missed is the inbetween stuff.Its seven years ago and the galaxy still seems in total chaos.What has everyone been doing?Sitting around? Then after NJO we just jump right into another battle with of all things....bugs.

Certainly not the best Star Wars book,then again,not the worst :)