PDA

View Full Version : Found Episode III collection 2 at TRU

Quite-Gone Jim
02-18-2005, 12:53 PM
I just went to TRU to look for the 2 preview pics I'm missing and found a batch of EIII Collection 2 figs out. :eek:

They rang up as STAR WARS E3 BASIC FI for only 5.99 each (vs the 6.99 for the preview figs).

I got:

Count Dooku
Chancellor Palpatine
Bail Organa
Plo Koon
Battle Droid
C-3PO
Padme
Agen Kolar
Kit Fisto
Mon Mothma

according to the card back I missed Shaak Ti and Royal Guard.

Since I didn't think they were going to hit the shelves until 4/2, I thought I should let people know.

JEDIpartner
02-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Really? They screwed that up good!

So how DOES that Threepio look in person?

jedi master sal
02-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Awesome find!

I wasn't going to do a full toy run tonight (usually I hit a dozen stores on Friday), but I sure as heck am now!

For that price, it's worth it!

Thanks for the news!

Ji'dai
02-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I can't say I'm not surprised. Hasbro is putting the toys out on the market earlier this time around. The official release date of April 2 is almost a month ahead of the April 23 date for AOTC product. I can't see retailers just sitting on inventory that's taking up space in the warehouse through March so I expect more early finds like this one.

El Chuxter
02-18-2005, 02:00 PM
This definitely explains why the Wal-Marts around here have been restocking GIJoe, Marvel Legends, Lord of the Rings, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, and even Power Rangers, but have left a mysterious gap in the SW section. . . . :)

Slicker
02-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Heck of a find QGJ. As I am a big fan of sticking it to the man this is a good job of doing just that. I don't like how they hype the release of the figures to be a landmark event when you can easily go in the next day and get everything you need without having to smell the unwashedness of the nameless SW rabble that converge on there local TRU every 3rd year. Man I can't wait until April 2nd. I should stop bathing today.

Kidhuman
02-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Nice find, do you have pics of them??? I want to see them up close...

Fluke Skywalker
02-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Lucky dog! And here I thought that I'd be scaling back my toy hunts for next month and a half.

Joshkj
02-19-2005, 12:35 AM
he could be pulling our legs, no i bet not, great find. To bad i have to work all day tommarow or i would hit every TRU from here to mexico.

AmanaMatt
02-19-2005, 08:26 AM
What's your take on that Threepio up close and personal?

DarthQuack
02-19-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm kind of glad not to be seeing these yet. My bank account isn't agreeing with me lately :rolleyes:

Sith Lord 0498
02-19-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm kind of glad not to be seeing these yet. My bank account isn't agreeing with me lately :rolleyes:

I second that! :(

General_Grievous
02-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Do you think all TRU's around the US will put them out early, or was it just a hitch in QGJ's area? And also, why didn't they put out any Collection 1 figures?

Something about this just doesn't make any sense.

Ji'dai
02-19-2005, 12:41 PM
If it's not a hoax, then it's probably a stray case or two got shipped out to a store by mistake.

ndjedi
02-19-2005, 02:04 PM
You never know if this is true or not. I do recall back in 2002 at my local Wallyworld, they had the boxes out of the Episode II Saga figures EARLY, about a month or less, before the late April release, i just could not buy them for they were not in the Wal-Mart system at the time. I TRIED!
So it is possible for a few stray cases of ROTS figures could make their way out, im sure most TRU, Targets, and Wal-Marts will be getting the bulk of their figures sometime in March, if not now.
QGJ Could we please get a pic w/ receipt of your Collection 2 ROTS figures, just to prove to us all that this is not a hoax but indeed true? Thanks!

Quite-Gone Jim
02-19-2005, 04:05 PM
No hoax. I did find them. Since I came home I took a couple pictures. None of the figures in the pictures is a spoiler if you've seen any of the shots in the Insider.

The C-3PO is the second best Hasbro has done in my opinion. I personally think the one from before EpI with the flashback cards was the best. The new one's got a very good likeness, and the pose is pretty good. By far better than anything else they've done in the last 6 years.

I personally think this was a mistake on TRU's part. There was only 1 of each of the figures. They probably put the pricing in the system months ago to make getting the stuff on the shelf's easier when the time came.

Happy hunting!

Edit: The attachment thing isn't working. I'll try and do the pictures later...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Does C-3PO have a ball-joint head? Please post reviews!

Quite-Gone Jim
02-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Does C-3PO have a ball-joint head? Please post reviews!

It's not a ball jointed head. It's more like a loose peg joint. This allows it to come off pretty easy, but it does allow for some nodding motion too. The face sculpt is dead on accurate and looks great.

It's still a poorly articulated figure (no elbow or knee joints) and the shoulders and hips are the same as every other C-3PO.

The paint job is great. It's the most crisp I've seen on C-3PO. They've even got the wires painted in on the back of his knees (a first as far as I can tell). It probably is the best C-3PO they've made, but it's still not a very exciting figure.

For the cloth accessories fans, Count Dooku has a cloth cape. It's nicely done. The figure has great articulation. The problems are he can barely hold onto his lightsaber and the face doesn't look quite right.

Chancellor Palpatine is a very good likeness. Only should, elbow, and neck articulation. Similare in quality to the EP II figure.

Battle Droid - it got a new ball jointed neck, otherwise it's the same sculpt as EPI and II. It has a new paint job which I like a lot better.

The Mon Mothma figure is a good likeness, but fairly boring. The long dress limits how you can pose the figure.

I don't really like the Padme figure. She has ball jointed shoulders, but Hasbro didn't get the scale right so her shoulders are huge compared to the rest of her body.

Plo Koon is the same head sculpt with a new body. He looks great, but has trouble hanging on to his lightsaber due to his claw hands.

Agen Kolar has a great new head sculpt. The figure looks great, but has limited articulation due to the long flowing robes.

This leaves my 2 favorite figures. Bail Organa and Kit Fisto. I like Bail's outfit and the really cool new knee joints (the same as Myo and the other cantina aliens). It's a good likeness of Jimmy Smits.

I think the Kit figure is the best so far. It's dead on to the character. I also like the articulation.

I'm still having trouble attaching the pictures. I don't know if it's my crappy home computer internet connection or if the servers are having problems. I'll send them to myself at work and try it from there on Monday.

Joshkj
02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
MONDAY!?!?!?!? we have to wait till monday guys sheeshh, jk lol

Kyle Katarn
02-19-2005, 10:56 PM
:eek: Lucky you!!! I can't also wait till April 2nd so I hope to see some figures before that date.

General_Grievous
02-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Cool. Thanks for the reviews, QGJ.

One question: Is Chancellor Palpatine's head the same sculpt used for the AOTC version?

ndjedi
02-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Rebelscum.com has confirmed that TRU are indeed placing ROTS figures out early, case in point WES from Atlanta, GA. He found 3 new ROTS figures: Yoda, Darth Vader, and Palpatine, and he included a receipt with his photos. So yes figures are showing up now at some TRU early.

DarthQuack
02-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure I would get any figures at TRU even if they did have them up, I'll wait for Wal-Mart to get them for MM.

General_Grievous
02-20-2005, 03:29 PM
If I did find any early, the one I'd want the most is the Clone Trooper. I have a gut feeling that he might be the tough one to find, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But I really wouldn't mind finding at least half of the figures. Then I'd have less to buy on April 2nd.

Val Da Car
02-20-2005, 04:28 PM
I spoke to a contact at TRU and he mentioned that some stores will get shipments early but the store and staff are well aware of the street date.

On April 1, 2005 at 9pm the store closes.

They will tear down a large (baby) section of the store.

They will place signage, figures, ships & all related items for the Midnight Madness.

They will open @ 12am and the bum rush will begin!

Enjoy.

bobafrett
02-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I know for EPII, the Wal-Mart store I worked at had to seperate out all the toys from the rest of the other toys. They started getting boxes of figures weeks before the release date. We had several pallets, and the toy department manager stayed overnight to stock the shelves. I put on my trooper armor, (after picking out oner of each figure plus any other toys I wanted). I stood at the front of the store and greeted the collectors as they rushed past me, but I already had my secret stash bought and paid for.

From what I understand, if you sell stuff with as street date on it before that date, your store can be fined, and/or not be sent future items ahead of time. Not sure how close a watch they do on this.

Joshkj
02-21-2005, 01:08 AM
I spoke to a contact at TRU and he mentioned that some stores will get shipments early but the store and staff are well aware of the street date.

On April 1, 2005 at 9pm the store closes.

They will tear down a large (baby) section of the store.

They will place signage, figures, ships & all related items for the Midnight Madness.

They will open @ 12am and the bum rush will begin!

Enjoy.

Are you sure, cause i called mine about a week ago(it was a girl no offence) and she said"ive never herd of midnight madness":ermm:

Slicker
02-21-2005, 09:58 AM
It totally depends on the store. Some do it some don't. The only way they can do it is if people volunteer to work the extra hours so they can open a midnight.

Quite-Gone Jim
02-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Can anyone attach a file. I keep getting an error when I try. As soon as I hit the upload button, I get a page not found error.

Slicker
02-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Is it in the correct format i.e. jpeg, gif, jpg, etc.

I'm anxious to see the pics.:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Can anyone attach a file. I keep getting an error when I try. As soon as I hit the upload button, I get a page not found error.
Like slicker said, make sure it's a jpg, jpeg or gif. Also make sure the pictures aren't too big, file-wise or size-wise.

Or, you could send them to me and I'll post them. :)

General_Grievous
02-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Are you sure, cause i called mine about a week ago(it was a girl no offence) and she said"ive never herd of midnight madness":ermm:

I'm assuming you probably talked to a customer service clerk. They could care less. It's happened to me loads of times. I called in once to ask if they had the VOTC figures in stock, the clerk said no. I go in to the store anyway later that day, and I see six pegs of VOTC figures. :rolleyes: You should have asked to speak with the manager, or someone from the action figure aisle. They know more about this kind of stuff, whether they are male or female.

Quite-Gone Jim
02-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Here's 3PO. My problem was with the file size. Thanks everyone.

Quite-Gone Jim
02-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Most of them (a couple got cut off).

Quite-Gone Jim
02-22-2005, 08:12 AM
And part of the receipt.

Kidhuman
02-22-2005, 09:00 AM
QGJ, can you get a close upof Palpy? Thanks for the pics they look good.

Slicker
02-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Man, that's a hell of find QGJ. Nice pics too. I like the look of Dooku's cape.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-22-2005, 12:07 PM
And part of the receipt.
Those figures are only $5.99! Awesome! Looks like TRU wizened up! I wonder why the preview figure is a dollar more though?

DarthQuack
02-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I love the bases that all the figures come with.....the anticipation is getting larger now....lol

Joshkj
02-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Those figures are only $5.99! Awesome! Looks like TRU wizened up! I wonder why the preview figure is a dollar more though?

Its because the SP figs were just a gimic for hype and an excuse for an overpriced fig:p

But:beard: to TRU for geting smart.

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I just hope Hasbro doesn't make them raise their prices.

Joshkj
02-22-2005, 10:04 PM
I just hope Hasbro doesn't make them raise their prices.
Ha keep dreaming:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

MT:beard: BWY
-halo

bobafrett
02-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Could you show us the part of the reciept with your CC numbers on it please?

Kidding.

Very cool find, I went out a checked two of the TRU's in my area, but no EPIII figs at this time.

AmanaMatt
02-23-2005, 09:00 PM
That Threepio looks pretty sweet.

I do like the little bases too - at this point all Clones, Threepio, Vader and all Emperor figs will be mine.

The rest of you can have the Yoda fig, and boy do I hope that Hasbro fixes the paint deco on the ROTS Chewie...

Joshkj
02-23-2005, 10:26 PM
My priorities at MM (if anyone else is even there lol) is all the Clones(sorry if any of you are there but i will get them) and a R2, i think its the best R2 yet. lol lol lol lol lol lol

General_Grievous
02-24-2005, 01:01 AM
I feel sorry for anyone else going to the store you'll be going to, HF. No clones for them. ;) :D