PDA

View Full Version : Experiments with Force FX

Portlyman
02-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Has any brave soul ever tried to detach a MRFFX blade from it's hilt, in order to see if it can be done safely in the event of a burned out blade, so that you can continue to enjoy part of the prop if you don't mind, say, a weird looking emitter?

Jayspawn
02-20-2005, 11:16 PM
I would never think of detaching the blade from the hilt. First of all, I have the Darth Vader "ANH" LE and the Vader FX. Both are great similar in theme but an FX lightsaber is meant to be lit up and and given a few swings. The LE is meant to be proudly displayed.

For example, I dont have a Mace Windu LE Replica yet, but I would never get an FX one for less -detach the blade and pass it off with or without a display case. They're just not the same.

Portlyman
02-21-2005, 08:09 PM
I think you misunderstood me.

The blade is going to burn out eventually, and when it does you'll have a near exact replica hilt, and a big white rod hanging out the front. At that point, some people might want to detatch/break off the blade.

Like the supergeeks who dismantled their iPods the first week they came out, I was wondering if anyone has already tried to detach the blade from an FX, to see if it could still be enjoyed hilt-only.

JediTricks
02-22-2005, 04:46 PM
The shelf-life of EL paper is pretty long, 10,000 hours I believe, and the LEDs they're using in the blades have a similar lifespan, so it's not like an old flashlight or something. But I must admit, I am curious about the blade removal as well. I would suspect with some soldering skills and electronics knowledge, one could remove the blade and install regular diodes and resistors to simulate the blade activity for the processor, but I *think* the FX blades also have crash sensors in them which would no longer work if you remove them.

Portlyman
02-23-2005, 12:43 AM
If I detached the blade, I wouldn't expect to make use any of the sounds either. I'd just treat it like the 300-400 dollar versions. Except I'd feel less anxious about carrying it around with me.

JediTricks
02-23-2005, 04:21 PM
OH! I see what you're saying, I agree with ya too, I'd love to have hilts that looked as good as the FX versions, sure they're not 100% accurate but they're also not as expensive. I dunno how they assemble these things, it looks complicated for sure and now that I think about it I have no idea how getting the blade out would work.

jawamurder
03-23-2005, 05:19 PM
yea i just bought on ebay from a guy who sells master replicas 5 returned fx lightsabers (4 vader, 1 luke esb). they were returned for various reasons, but i figured i could take the most broken one and try to remove the blade. if it's easy, i'll leave instructions here. i am desperately looking online for anyone who has done this before me, and may have instructions. i'll let you know what i find.

if anyone has any idea of where i can get help with this, let me know.

utini :D

Bossk77
03-28-2005, 08:13 PM
The real trick would be to make it just plain detachable. so you could just carry the hilt or put a replacement battery in it without mangling the hilt itself. I dont have one nor the spare cash to pick one up, but i am sure it is possible. soder a little squeez clasp on the inside perhaps?

JayMiles
03-30-2005, 11:15 AM
hey all ~

so the buzz here at MR is that we are working on new editions of our sabers with detachable blades, both for ease with costuming and for repair...

when I hear more, Ill let you know...

~ jaymiles, master replicas

jedijayt
03-30-2005, 02:37 PM
hey all ~

so the buzz here at MR is that we are working on new editions of our sabers with detachable blades, both for ease with costuming and for repair...

when I hear more, Ill let you know...

~ jaymiles, master replicas
Fantastic, hope there will be an OBi Saber, now that would be coooool

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Oh man, oh man! That would be SO cool! Even if it took set-screws or something, a removable blade would make this the ultimate collectible in my book AND easier to ship! Luke ROTJ would be the hardest probably along with Obi-Wan's ROTS/ANH style saber(s) because of the thin neck, but Luke's is my favorite and hasn't been done with an LED blade yet.

Portlyman
04-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Ever since I got off the Star Tours ride at Disneyland and got funneled into the Star Wars gift shop, I wanted a "real" piece of Star Wars. They had Vader and Stormtrooper helmets then, mid 80's, and I begged and begged for one but never got one.

I was never interested in the action figures, and didn't even think about lightsabers until a year and a half ago, and now I have my piece of Star Wars. A Luke ESB FX. Got it a month ago and it's the best luxury I've ever bought.

But down to business. I've been playing with it probably less than most people have, and I've noticed that the blade is a little wobbly compared to the first day I got it. Is this normal "breaking in" of the blade? Honestly, if it broke off later tonight, I'd feel just fine as long as the hilt was undamaged. It's just so cool.

To the Master Replica employees: Thank you, and good luck with detachable blade FX's. Also, good luck to everyone in the Vader contest!

JediTricks
04-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I haven't noticed any additional wobble to mine. How are you storing yours? Maybe that's the culprit, I am storing mine almost totally vertical.

Portlyman
04-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Mine is horizontal, on the stand, on my table. It's more like the white inside core is bumping against the clear plastic outer layer.

JediTricks
04-18-2005, 08:22 PM
It could be that having it lay horizontally puts too much weight at the hilt end, flexing it just enough that over a long period of time it may be warping. Of course I am totally just guessing here, but it's precisely why mine are standing upright with the heavy hilt on the bottom.

Triplesaber
04-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Hi, Im 30yr old, married, from Malaysia, (sorry, my english is limited) just got my Vader FX from starwarsshop.com a few days ago, and its really cool! I go home early everyday from my office just to play with it.
After reading this thread, i became worried tht my swinging n rapid on n off would later damage my lightsaber. I only use it for about several minutes a day, n i never hit it against hard/sharp objects, just swing it around to hear the cool sound fx. I dont want anything bad happen to my lightsaber, but I also want to play with it everyday.
Is it safe n recommended if i want to bring it along to the opening show? Also, i read one guy's posting in other forum saying the blade of his Vader FX lightsaber has broken after a long display. Im really afraid of this. I think displaying it vertically is safer.
The FX lightsaber is the 1st Master Replicas item i ever bought. Cool thing! I hope you guys come out with more cool lightsabrrs!

JediTricks
04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
When I mess with my Vader or Luke FX sabers, I usually swing them full throttle around in the air, doing hard brakes and changes and anything I'd do with a normal sword except make contact, and I haven't had ANY problems with mine so far, but I display mine upright to avoid long-term stresses (which it seems to suggest is happening to others using the horizontal displays).

As for taking it to the theater, I am very paranoid that someone will bump into the saber by accident, trip and fall, stuff you can't really control, and break it. Also, I tend to be a little less careful with things when I'm out and about, so I wouldn't take mine to the theater because I know I couldn't trust MYSELF. ;)

knightone
04-24-2005, 06:05 AM
Oh man, oh man! That would be SO cool! Even if it took set-screws or something, a removable blade would make this the ultimate collectible in my book AND easier to ship! Luke ROTJ would be the hardest probably along with Obi-Wan's ROTS/ANH style saber(s) because of the thin neck, but Luke's is my favorite and hasn't been done with an LED blade yet.

Just to make things clear, I don't think the removeable blade sabers are going to be electronic. They are just going to be stunt sabers with removeable blades that will be good for "dueling" and for use with costumes. At least that is what I have been hearing from the rumor mill. One good thing is, though, I have also heard the prices on these will be around the same as the mini-sabers.

Portlyman
04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Maybe the next step is a retractable blade, kind of like the toys for kids that are a flashlight with a plastic cone on the end. But with the blade made of mostly the same material, with as little tapering as possible, and maybe spring loaded like an umbrella.

On second thought, that sounds like the fifth step.

Anyway, I just can't imagine taking a detachable blade FX into public. People will see some dude holding a white tube and think "what the heck?", and you have to keep track of it at all times so some janitor dosent throw it in the trash. Maybe if they sell a fabric sheath for the blade thats slung over the head and around the shoulder, everything would be better.

I'm done being crazy and nearly incoherent.

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Just to make things clear, I don't think the removeable blade sabers are going to be electronic. They are just going to be stunt sabers with removeable blades that will be good for "dueling" and for use with costumes. At least that is what I have been hearing from the rumor mill. One good thing is, though, I have also heard the prices on these will be around the same as the mini-sabers.
No way, I can't believe MR would release something like that. And the $35 price point you mentioned wouldn't be very accurate unless the sabers themselves were really cheaply made, which again doesn't sound like MR to me. We've got to be on the Force FX page with this, that's the only other improvement that could be made with this line, I can't fathom the concept being applied to anything else.

Sith Lord 0498
04-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Hopefully someone here can answer this for me.

I just watched the video of the MR Force FX Jedi vs. Sith duel from Celebration 3 on Rebelscum.com, and I have just one question for the people who either witnessed it or have tried this themselves...

Just how hard can you hit these sabers together??!?!

I know the "official" word from MR is that they are not designed for dueling, but is that true or just something they are legally required to declare? It sounded like those blades were connecting hard on the video.

knightone
04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
No way, I can't believe MR would release something like that. And the $35 price point you mentioned wouldn't be very accurate unless the sabers themselves were really cheaply made, which again doesn't sound like MR to me. We've got to be on the Force FX page with this, that's the only other improvement that could be made with this line, I can't fathom the concept being applied to anything else.

That's the ongoing rumor for the past year or so on some other boards. I don't think they can make the FX sabers have removeable blades at this point in time without giving up too much electronics/effects wise. Considering they already have to beef up the body a bit just to add stability to the blade and fit the electronics, I don't see them being able to do the removeable blade effectively and still retain the high caliber of the current special effects features.

I don't see it as being possible unless they make the price up there (or beyond) that of the EE and LE lines. It would take some major R&D to engineer such a thing and also cost a bit more to produce them as well. Add the cost of all that together and you would have a line that would have the same market as the LEs and EEs. I think the direction that MR wants to expand in right now is into a wider. mas market as they have done with the lower cost of the minis and FXs.

As MR said in the interview on this site, the Minis and the FX sabers have become their "bread and butter" because of the low price points. People are jumping all over the lower priced replicas. The lingering rumor is they going to make a line of metal sabers (albeit with less detail than the EE and LE lines) that will be gfood enough to wear with costumes and such and be able to take some kind of removeable blade for "dueling".

The price may not be as low as the minis, but it probably won't be as high as the FX line. I would have to say somewhere around $50-$80. A lot of the independent saber makers are currently able to make machined metal sabers with remoeveable plastic blades for around that price range. Considering MR has a much larger and more stable infrastructure in place, they could match the price easily and probably do a step better as far as quality and ruggedness goes.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the FX line come with remveable blades...one day when the cost might be less prohibitive and the features woulnd't have to be compromised. For the present time, I would like better to see a sub $100 metal saber that I can take around without having to worry about losing a $300-$400 show piece or having to navigate a fixed FX blade that gives me the option of "dueling" with my friends on the occasion. I want all that and the workmanship and innovation that MR has been able to give us in their entier lineup of products. Sure, I could go to any number of online makers, but would of them have the reputation and servie MR would give me in a similar product. Maybe, maybe not. I just don't like to take those chances with my hard earned money.

Hopefully someone here can answer this for me.

I just watched the video of the MR Force FX Jedi vs. Sith duel from Celebration 3 on Rebelscum.com, and I have just one question for the people who either witnessed it or have tried this themselves...

Just how hard can you hit these sabers together??!?!

I know the "official" word from MR is that they are not designed for dueling, but is that true or just something they are legally required to declare? It sounded like those blades were connecting hard on the video.

It depends on how far you are willing to go. Hitting the sabers too hard can knock the LEDs loose and cause them to cease functioning. That's why MR doesn't recommend striking them too hard.

AS far as the C3 demo, they were probably trained stage fighters and made it look like they were fighting full force with the sabers. EVen if they were hitting the sabers as hard as they could, they were provided the sabers by MR for the demo. If you don't mind breaking a $100+ item and just want to have some fun, then you could hit them as hard as you are able I suppose. :D

Just remember, sword fighting is about rhythm and finesse, not about brute strength and pure speed.

pmrjulio
05-04-2005, 10:36 AM
yea i just bought on ebay from a guy who sells master replicas 5 returned fx lightsabers (4 vader, 1 luke esb). they were returned for various reasons, but i figured i could take the most broken one and try to remove the blade. if it's easy, i'll leave instructions here. i am desperately looking online for anyone who has done this before me, and may have instructions. i'll let you know what i find.

if anyone has any idea of where i can get help with this, let me know.

utini :D

I took the blade off a Anakin's saber. The only way of doing it is removing the emmiter and cutting the blade. You cannot remove it and then reinsert the blade.
Please let me know by e-mail, if you may like to sell one of your Vader sabers (you said you have 4 of them).