PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing about Irvin Kershner's ESB commentary....

General_Grievous
02-19-2005, 11:45 PM
....did anyone else notice that Irvin Kershner kept mentioning sex throughout the Empire Strikes Back commentary?

Here are some examples:

When Han and Leia were kissing in the Falcon, Kershner says something like, "I wanted people to percieve that kissing is equivalent to intercourse in the Star Wars galaxy".

Ummm...okay.

and here:

When Luke gets his mechanical hand at the end, Kershner says, "Now he's a full man again. He can touch again, he can make love again."

I thought it was kind of funny hearing an old man gabbing on about sex while watching a Star Wars movie.:p

Droid
02-20-2005, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=General_GrievousWhen Han and Leia were kissing in the Falcon, Kershner says something like, "I wanted people to percieve that kissing is equivalent to intercourse in the Star Wars galaxy".
[/QUOTE]

So on the Death Star, Leia @#%&'ed Luke "for luck?

And in the recovery room at Echo Station Leia @#%&'ed Luke right there in front of Han, Chewie and the droids?

Dude.

General_Grievous
02-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I was just thinking that myself. It's kind of weird, isn't it?

I guess Luke and Leia decided to spend some time in the Deep South. You can almost hear the banjos. :D

trandoshan666
02-20-2005, 12:10 PM
It really didn't seem that weird to me, considering Kershner's background. For me, and probably millions of fans, the film's "sexuality" was yet another human element that played a role in making ESB the trilogy's best. The kissing and its significance really made ESB's romance plot work.

DTMAN
03-10-2005, 05:26 PM
ummm..well from a certain point of view.

I thought it was interesting since he knew he was dealing with an updated fairy tale. I think it made sense since probably in Ep. 3 Amidala will be already pregnant.

The films are supposed to be kids' films. It is implied except for Leia's outfit in Jedi.

The poiint I found most interesting was Kershner's attempts to add humor to the story, not slapstick. I wished Lucas remembered that when dealing with Jar Jar.

Well, there is always the ulimate platinum definitive 8 DVD set.

Thank you.