PDA

View Full Version : Mustafar playset...

JEDIpartner
02-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Looking at the pictures, it appears that they created this to have a modular design. The front (http://67.15.129.26/ssg/data/513/2DSC_1765.JPG) Seems to have a little tab that will allow something to connect to it... I'm thinking it might be one of those battle arenas like this one (http://67.15.129.26/ssg/data/511/2DSC_1744.JPG).

The sculpted "lava" on the right side has two pegs on it. I'm thinking the little pads that Obi-Wan and Anakin are on actually go on that.

==============================================

Okay... it does all that per the box (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/events/toy_fair/toy_fair_2005/hasbro/DSCN3316.JPG). Apparently, it comes with the two figures as well. There doesn't seem to be a lot going around on the "inside" but that appears to have tabs for more things to be connected to it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2005, 12:22 PM
I like the figures that come with it, even with Anakin's face. I'm glad they're not just the basic figures. They look like they're kicking each other's butt! I wonder if they come off the bases? Hopefully some of the bases of the Mustafar figures (Padmé, C-3PO) will connect to this. I can't imagine that the bridge things that go out to the conference room dealies are very sturdy. This looks to be fun, I love the playsets!

After looking at that pic of the box, I saw that it said "Includes Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader!" That's cool, I guess he'll be Vader even before he gets the armor.

CrossWizard
02-20-2005, 01:20 PM
There's something odd about their lightsabers, the hilts look like they're made from clear plastic or covered in something.

General_Grievous
02-20-2005, 04:14 PM
It seems alright to me, but I don't think I'll get it because I'm not a playset collector. Plus, it doesn't look like you can take Obi-Wan and Anakin off those bases. I am dying to know what's on the other side of the playset. It could be the medical chamber where Anakin becomes Darth Vader.

Turbowars
02-20-2005, 07:51 PM
I'll pass on this set just as I have passed on all other playsets. I might buy it for my cousin though. He will play with it longer than the 3 minutes I would if I bought it for myself.

JEDIpartner
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
There's something odd about their lightsabers, the hilts look like they're made from clear plastic or covered in something.

They wrap them in a light celophane to keep the silver paint from the hilts off the figures' hands. They did that wil some of the other basic and deluxe figures.

mastermatt24
02-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I think this thing looks horrible- almost bad as the geonosis one. I definitly wont be buying this one. The flying ball o' lava looks especially stupid... :dead: And hasbro was doing a pretty good job to, im surprised with this.

Slicker
02-20-2005, 10:33 PM
I like the fact that it they call the Anakin figure Darth Vader even though he's not in his armor.

Rocketboy
02-20-2005, 10:42 PM
I like the fact that it they call the Anakin figure Darth Vader even though he's not in his armor.I'm not surprised. This is all speculation, but once I saw Anakin's eye's in the teaser, I assumed that as soon as he gives into the dark side and alligns himself with Sidious, he is renamed Darth Vader.

Back to the original topic. It looks like it might have potential to be a cool playset. Geonosis was cool, but too small, IMO (I realized it had to be small though). I want to see what is on the other side of this playset.

General_Grievous
02-20-2005, 10:59 PM
The Geonosis arena didn't seem all that great, IMO. It's good for diorama builders, but that's about it.

Also, looking at the box again, why does it have a "lava flipping" action feature? Do you think it might flip over to reveal Anakin in the lava?

Kidhuman
02-20-2005, 11:06 PM
I like the fact that it they call the Anakin figure Darth Vader even though he's not in his armor.

That was the 1st thing I noticed too. I thinks it jazzy.

I might splurge for this playset. Whats the MSRP?

General_Grievous
02-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Unknown yet. My guess is about $40. Maybe a little less.

Joshkj
02-21-2005, 02:04 AM
I think this thing looks horrible- almost bad as the geonosis one. I definitly wont be buying this one. The flying ball o' lava looks especially stupid... :dead: And hasbro was doing a pretty good job to, im surprised with this.

Remember this is aimed at kids not older, more mature(some of us),collectors. Hasbro should make a line aimed just at collectors, with lots of collector imput, MOC and nonMOC. That would earn back their respect.:nerv:

JEDIpartner
02-21-2005, 09:22 AM
As far as a kid's toy goes... I think it's fine. As a collector... I know it's a toy, so I really don't have a problem with it. The price on this is a surprisingly low $29.99!!

Kidhuman
02-21-2005, 09:53 AM
The price on this is a surprisingly low $29.99!!

:eek: :sur: :sur: :eek: :sur:

Very low priceon this bad boy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Remember that spoiler about the "lava surfing"? Could these bases be the "surfboards"? On the box they're on top of the lava section. Hopefully it won't be stupid in the film.

Turbowars
02-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Remember that spoiler about the "lava surfing"? Could these bases be the "surfboards"? On the box they're on top of the lava section. Hopefully it won't be stupid in the film.It sure does sound stupid.

JEDIpartner
02-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I think they are more hover platforms that they step on to get across the lava floes.

mastermatt24
02-21-2005, 01:02 PM
The price on this is a surprisingly low $29.99!!
Ill save the $30 bucks for an ARC-170 or lego juggernaut.

Kidhuman
03-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Okay... it does all that per the box (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/events/toy_fair/toy_fair_2005/hasbro/DSCN3316.JPG). Apparently, it comes with the two figures as well. There doesn't seem to be a lot going around on the "inside" but that appears to have tabs for more things to be connected to it.

And that it does. Just read the main page and found this...

Click hrere for info that you all want to see (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31054)

aceguide
03-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Playsets are cool - especially for the litle ones. I am looking forward to seeing what this one is all about.

JEDIpartner
03-02-2005, 10:08 AM
I did see that it connects to the battle arenas and that really got me jazzed. I'm sure there will be an Obi-Wan/Anakin Mustafar battle arena in our future... :)

Kidhuman
03-02-2005, 08:34 PM
I dunno JP, considering it comeswith Vader and Obi-Wan already, I dont think they will make a set like that.

JEDIpartner
03-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Don't underestimate Hasblah's will to make money. They'll exploit us in any way they possibly can! :crazed:

Jayspawn
03-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Right on JP -they certainly do!

I think playsets are fun but I dont collect them anymore. One reason I didnt get the Geonosis Arena is that it was WAY too small. And I really dont like playsets with action features. I just want a Death Star Hallway or Cantina Playset for my figures. I dont need for them to 'do' stuff.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/id.1145/dn/default.cfm

This picture answers some of my questions. The figures can come off of the bases, which is great! Somehow you can launch the figures from them, but it doesn't say how. The little thing where the bases connect is clear on here, though it was orange at Toy Fair (I bet it'll be orange). It has connectors for Battle Arenas and it looks to have some little hook-up for the bases of some figures (like Padmé and C-3PO). That way you can extend it even farther! I can't wait to get this!

JEDIpartner
03-03-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm with you on this, JabbaJohn!

Yeah... that picture was, quite clearly, the prototype. The ToyFair production version had the orange "lava" spurt.

It looks like it will be about as big as the vintage Dagobah playset (without those break-apart walkways)... maybe a little bigger. I'm definitely on-board for this one. Toys fascinate me... even if they don't look exactly like the thing they are supposed to represent. I didn't think that Hasbro would be stupid enough to permanently affix the figures to the platforms. That would be quite limiting.

The back-end looks pretty empty and without much detail. That will be a customiser's dream... :)

Kidhuman
03-03-2005, 09:10 PM
It looks horridly out of scale though

DarthQuack
03-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Still uncertain about purchasing this playset, will have to check it out in person.

JediTricks
03-05-2005, 12:02 AM
The hasbro pic makes this thing look so small IMO. There's a slight chance that I may still go for it, but it will be in spite of Hasbro's efforts not because of them. It just looks TINY to me.

JEDIpartner
03-06-2005, 11:21 AM
The Dagobah playset was "tiny"... :)

Turbowars
03-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah, but so was Yoda's hut. It didn't need to be big.