PDA

View Full Version : UNDER-hyped/appreciated movies

Rocketboy
02-20-2005, 04:53 PM
As a compliment to the Over-hyped movie thread, how about some movies that you feel were under-hyped or under-appreciated?
Perhaps people (and critics) blasted it unfairly (in you opinion), or maybe it's a film that wasn't a big hit, but those who have seen it really like it.
Or maybe it's just a movie you like and nobody else does. :)

Leon (international uncut version) - While the American verion (The Professional) was good, the uncut version was quite a bit better. Gary Oldman is over the top, Jean Reno is probably at his best, and Natalie Portman shines in her first role. Reno is Leon, an assassin who takes Mathilda (Portman) under his wing and trains her after her family is murdered by a crooked cop (Oldman).
The new Leon anniversary DVD is the uncut version I believe.

Ghost World - This was on quite a few critics "Best of" lists when it was released, but few people saw it. It's a comedy starring Scarlet Johansen and Thora Birch, based on the indie comic. It's pretty hard to describe, but I'll try. After Rebecca and Enid graduate high school, neither really has a plan for life other than getting jobs and moving out. Their friendship strains as Enid drags her feet and meets a new friend (Steve Buscemi).
Hey, it's not the best description, but its a start. :D

Daredevil: Director's Cut - This didn't recieve too much attention when it was released a few months ago, but the new cut makes it a much better movie, adding nearly 30 minutes in a subplot about Matt defending an innocent man, played by Coolio (yes, Coolio). There are also a few other cuts and additions here and there, like more Bullseye, and a longer fight with the Kingpin, plus the cutting of the pointless Matt and Elektra sex scene.

Apt Pupil - Brian Singer directed thriller, based on a Stephen King short story about a high school kid (Brad Renfro) that discovers one of his neighbors (Ian McKellen) is a Nazi war criminal. Best Buy has it in their bargain racks for $6.

Enemy at the Gates - The critical World War II battle of Stalingrad between the Germans and Russians is the backdrop for a game of cat and mouse played by a Russian and German sniper (Jude Law and Ed Harris). While based on a true story, it is heavily dramatized (some people even say much of it never even happened!).

Rules of Engagement - Tommy Lee Jones defends Samuel L Jackson, who is accused of opening fire on an unarmed crowd during an embassy evacuation if the Middle East. Great performances by both Jones and Jackson. Both a war movie and a legal thriller.

JON9000
02-20-2005, 05:38 PM
The Late Shift- a television movie about the behind the scenes maneuvering that occurred between Letterman, Leno, and Carson when Carson left the tonight show. Fascinating.

The Fog of War- unseen documentary / interview of Robert S. McNamara. Everybody needs to see this yesterday.

For Your Eyes Only- the most underappreciated Bond film.

L.A. Confidential- shamefully unseen by the masses. Much better than Titanic (which beat it for best picture) and also better than Chinatown (which it is always compared to).

Full Metal Jacket- always compared unfavorably to Platoon and Apocalypse now, but every bit as insightful into the insanity of war.

The Insider- Russell Crowe won best actor for the wrong portrayal.

Star Trek: TMP (director's edition)- much maligned and misunderstood, but the only true big budget event ST film. The story and effects are superior to any NG film.

The 25th Hour: nobody saw this film

The Right Stuff- a commercial failure, an american film classic. Probably the most under-rated of them all, IMHO

Kidhuman
02-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Apt Pupil - Brian Singer directed thriller, based on a Stephen King short story about a high school kid (Brad Renfro) that discovers one of his neighbors (Ian McKellen) is a Nazi war criminal. Best Buy has it in their bargain racks for $6.

Thats because this movie sucked. It was horrid. The story was much better than this pile of junk they spewed out of a useless dying Giraffes arse. This movie had potential to be good, but it just never took off. As far as I am concerned, Best Buy should give you 6 bucks for even eyeing the movie.

jjreason
02-20-2005, 11:51 PM
I must agree with Jon9000 on For Your Eyes Only (the only real "straight" Bond movie Moore played in) and LA Confidential (downright filthy it's that gritty) crooked cop movie. Love both of those shows dearly. A couple of movies I love that people seem to love to hate are GATTACA with Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke, and Copland with Sylvestor Stallone (believe me, I thought I would hate it more than anyone but it's really good).

Jayspawn
02-21-2005, 01:09 AM
JON9000 is right. "For Your Eyes Only" is an underappreciated Bond Film. Julian Glover was a good villian, Carole Bouquet was a babe-what a hottie! And she didnt give it up till the end either! It had some great stunts and good ideas for a film. One of my favorite 007 movies.

CaptainSolo1138
02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Spice World. :D

Kidhuman
02-21-2005, 10:48 PM
L.A> COnfidential wasa grewat movie.I loved it. The UsualSuspects is another one I feel is under appreciated.

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I think the one on my list is one that we've all seen.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Sure, it had loads of hype in the Star Wars fan community, but the general public didn't give a rat's @$$ about the movie, because they over-hyped Episode 1 and didn't want to make the same mistake for Episode 2. It's a shame too, because AOTC is miles better than TPM. AOTC was a box office success, but a commercial failure.

vader121
02-22-2005, 08:30 AM
'Executive Decision' - picked this up recently. Great movie. Very suspenseful.
'Enemy at the Gates' - awesome movie
'No Escape' - total guy movie, In fact there isn't even one female in the whole movie. Very cool premise.
'Black Hole' - cool scifi movie that gets lost behind Star Wars and Star Trek.
'Tombstone' - best western ever made.

Kidhuman
02-22-2005, 09:56 AM

Noarguement there.

CaptainSolo1138
02-22-2005, 11:24 AM

I thought of that one yesterday and never posted. As you said it was so much better that TPM, yet because of TPM's "failure" mainstreamers didn't give AOTC a chance, opting to write it off as TPM:2. Kinda pathetic, in a way.

Rocketboy
02-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Sure, it had loads of hype in the Star Wars fan community, but the general public didn't give a rat's @$$ about the movie, because they over-hyped Episode 1 and didn't want to make the same mistake for Episode 2. It's a shame too, because AOTC is miles better than TPM. AOTC was a box office success, but a commercial failure.A $302 million commercial failure?
It was #3 for the year, behind only 2 other juggernaughts - Spider-man ($403 mil) and LOTR:TTT ($339 mil). I'm sure the general public's disappointment with The Phantom Menace insured the fact that it didn't go higher. Even it TPM had been more loved, I'm still not sure AOTC could have beaten Spider-man.

'Black Hole' - cool scifi movie that gets lost behind Star Wars and Star Trek. Wasn't that basically a Star Wars rip-off? Two guys and and old man (with sidekick droids) on a mission to save a woman on a space station, who is being held there by a large red robot (not a man in a big black suit), dozens of identical soldiers, and it's old man superior. Where was the lawsuit on that one?

Oh wait, there was no large hairy co-pilot...:D

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't think they'll be making the same mistake with Episode 3, considering the large amount of merchandise that will be released. It practically dwarfs the AOTC merchandise that was first released. There is no way the mainstreamers can avoid it.

Anyway, back to topic:

Planet of the Apes
The Tim Burton remake. I've heard people claim that it's the worst remake ever. It really isn't. It's not really that bad of a movie. Tim Roth was especially awesome in the movie as the psychopathic monkey. The ending did seem a bit stupid, though. I think that's why everyone hated it.

Batman Returns
Yet another Tim Burton movie that doesn't sit too well with people. I liked this movie a lot. It was just as a Batman movie should be, dark and action-packed. I thought that it was almost as good as the first one.

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 12:22 PM
A $302 million commercial failure?
It was #3 for the year, behind only 2 other juggernaughts - Spider-man ($403 mil) and LOTR:TTT ($339 mil). I'm sure the general public's disappointment with The Phantom Menace insured the fact that it didn't go higher. Even it TPM had been more loved, I'm still not sure AOTC could have beaten Spider-man.

Still, you have to admit that AOTC failed big-time when you compare it to the other SW movies. Plus, that, LOTR, and Spider-Man were the only really big blockbusters to come out of 2002. What came fourth after AOTC?? Lilo and Stitch???

CaptainSolo1138
02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Still, you have to admit that AOTC failed big-time when you compare it to the other SW movies.
I don't understand either how it failed. Making a multimillion dollar profit on arguably the most popular movie franchise ever is failing? How did it fail compared to other movies? Because there weren't lines around the block like ANH? If that's the case, Spider-Man didn't have those either. Was it because critics bashed it? Star Wars is always criticized by the mainstream, not just AOTC.

Rocketboy
02-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Planet of the Apes
The Tim Burton remake. I've heard people claim that it's the worst remake ever. It really isn't. It's not really that bad of a movie. Tim Roth was especially awesome in the movie as the psychopathic monkey. The ending did seem a bit stupid, though. I think that's why everyone hated it.

Batman Returns
Yet another Tim Burton movie that doesn't sit too well with people. I liked this movie a lot. It was just as a Batman movie should be, dark and action-packed. I thought that it was almost as good as the first one.
I really liked POTA. The ending was the best, because it didn't give everything up. You actually had to think about it and it was more like the original book.

As for Batman Returns, it was good, but it was too dark, IMO, especially when it came to the Penguin. There were a lot of kids seeing this movie and the Penguin was too scary and violent for them. Burton's Batman movies were more like comic book movies for adults, but they were marketed heavily toward kids.

LOTR, and Spider-Man were the only really big blockbusters to come out of 2002. What came fourth after AOTC?? Lilo and Stitch??? There were 4 other big movies that came in with +$200 million after AOTC, and they were all considered huge hits. Granted, HP was the closest to Star Wars, but it wasn't that close.

4. Harry Potter ATCOS - $261 mil
5. My Big Fat Greek Wedding - 241 mil
6. Signs - $227 mil
7. Austin Powers in Goldmember - $213 mil

Rocketboy
02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
While we're on a Tim Burton string, Big Fish - amazing movie. It did a decent box office, but it could/should have been bigger. I missed it in theaters and I wish I had seen it there. Doesn't seem like too many have seen it either, even on video.

Not a Tim Burton film but Miracle was another great one that not many people have seen, probably because it's hockey, which is surprising considering how big the miracle on ice was and how many people watched back in '80.
(Today is also 25th anniversary of the miracle on ice.)

Slicker
02-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Today is also 25th anniversary of the miracle on ice.Isn't that irony. One of the greatest moments in hockey history having a milestone anniversary at a time when the sport is at it's lowest point ever.

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Alright, I'll admit that AOTC didn't fail. I was just trying to really say that it didn't gain as much hype or make as much money as the other Star Wars movies. That's what I meant by "failing".

You know what else is funny? I keep thinking of Tim Burton films as under-appreciated movies. Isn't that weird?

Nightmare Before Christmas used to be an under-appreciated movie, but then it exploded into pop culture and got the recognition it deserved.

Mars Attacks! was a campy, fun parody of the old 50s and 60s B-movies. I thought it was great, but it didn't seem that popular.

From Dusk Till Dawn and True Romance are two Tarantino-written movies that also deserve some better appreciation.

JediTricks
02-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I'll add the following to the list...

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension - talk about grand comic book movies! This one is a cult classic but really could have been a franchise if it had come out a few years later.

Tron - brilliant film, a true pioneer and a landmark in cinema that people chalk up to "kiddie fare" simply because of the Disney studio name, however the film works on a very deep philosophical level that reaches both kids and adults without pandering to either and looks great doing it.

The Living Daylights - Timothy Dalton's first turn as James Bond successfully marries the two cinematic sides of 007, that of Ian Flemming's cold super spy seen in "From Russia with Love" and that of the gadget fetishist seen in "Goldfinger" et al, in a film that hits cold war notes, personal notes, and even touches upon the rise of the Afghans against the USSR (which ironically itself in real life led to Osama bin Laden and the Taliban), yet still has a logical reason for why everything is happening and why the villains are so much of a threat. It wasn't a commercial failure, but people seemed to write it off almost immediately after its release.

Repo Man - Another cult film, a punk classic that doesn't pull its punches, it delivers a pretty rich universe without seeming staged or cartoonish (even that crazy ending).

Speaking of Emilio Estevez...

Men at Work - Emilio directs, writes, and co-stars with brother Charlie Sheen in a comedy about 2 garbagemen who get wrapped up in local political intrigue. It's hardly genius, but it's funny and entertaining and sly, yet I doubt most of the people here have even heard of it.

For Your Eyes Only- the most underappreciated Bond film.It was well-appreciated in its day, I think it's held to a high standard by fans.

L.A. Confidential- shamefully unseen by the masses. Much better than Titanic (which beat it for best picture) and also better than Chinatown (which it is always compared to). Another film I think is well-appreciated, though I do agree it is really good and probably could use more appreciation.

Star Trek: TMP (director's edition)- much maligned and misunderstood, but the only true big budget event ST film. The story and effects are superior to any NG film. I agree, this film still has some pacing issues, and nobody can excuse the costumes and hairstyles, but it's a much better film than people give it credit for, and the director's cut (and the old extended edition) are both great takes on the original.

'Black Hole' - cool scifi movie that gets lost behind Star Wars and Star Trek. I dunno, it's a little lost in trying to be a '50s pulp-style adventure and another Star Trek/Star Wars, I bought it on DVD recently and sorta regretted it after watching it for the first time in 15 years. I will give the film massive props in one department though, for its time coming out right after Star Wars, it is actually way more advanced in the visual effects department (the DVD mentions this a few times that the film created a visual effects department way more advanced than ILM for this film).

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2005, 05:30 PM

If we ignore the spaghetti westerns, then perhaps this statement could be made.

But if we want to discuss westerns further, a thread should be made elsewhere. No need to derail this thread on account of my disagreements.

Hellboy
02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm in agreement with many of the choices listed especially 'For Your Eyes Only' and 'Tombstone'. I'd add these as well.

The 13th Warrior
For a film that suffered a ton of production difficulties 'The 13th Warrior' or 'Eaters of the Dead' as it was originally titled turned out to be a personal favorite of mine. I've never understood the complaints aimed towards this picture such as poor character development, lack of a compelling storyline or an overall slow feel to the film. Upon viewing this movie for the first time I felt just the opposite, I got into the Viking characters and felt the story was completely original, extremely brutal and totally drew me in, it left me wanting more. I've heard there is a longer cut of the film but we'll probably never see it since the studio had this movie shelved for over a year before releasing it into theaters and is more or less considered a failure by the masses.

Dark City
Alex Proyas's visually amazing film is definitely not for everyone. I think I've encountered more people who didn't like it than did and I've never understood why. The story is truly mindbending and the preformances are top notch. You could even make the arguement that The Matrix films borrowed heavily from this film from the enslavement of humanity to the power of one man (Rufus Sewell's character) being able to see past the facade and challenge the oppressors by becoming more than human like Neo in The Matrix. If you like deeply intricate Sci-Fi storys with a gothic-noir feel to them than this is must see IMO. Plus Jennifer Connelly has never looked hotter. :kiss:

Manhunter
A far superior film in every way to the remake 'Red Dragon' starring Anthony Hopkins and Edward Norton. This is the true first appearance of Hannibal Lecter and is more of a detective story than a horror film. As usual Michael Mann's directing style is amazing and William Peterson gives what I feel is his best preformance ever. It wasn't until the success of 'The Silence of the Lambs' that this movie really got the attention it so rightly deserved but even then it still remained overlooked for the most part.

Heat
Another Michael Mann film and argueably his best work is also one of my favorite films of all time. Aside from the fact that this film has Pacino and De Niro working together for the first time (sorry Godfather II doesn't count) this film has style to burn. Everything about this movie is amazing from the soundtrack to the strong preformances to Mann's familiarity and depiction of Los Angeles. The bank robbery scene alone is hands down the best gunfight and most intense action sequence I've ever seen on film. Even though this film has gained popularity since it's theatrical release I never understood why it didn't receive the recognition it so rightly deserved. In my eyes this film is a cinamatic masterpiece.

JediTricks
02-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Gotta agree with you on Dark City HB, I was really impressed with this film and think it's a great piece of sci-fi, a fine counterpart to The Matrix really as each explores its own side of the same tale with the Matrix being the Action/Adventure and Dark City being the Sci-Fi/Noir -- heck, they even share some sets since they were filmed in the same Australian studio! :D

trandoshan666
02-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Murder By Death
Grosse Point Blank
Pitch Black
She's the One

(in no particular order)

General_Grievous
02-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I have a Mel Brooks movie to add to the list:

Silent Movie I saw this and loved it. I laughed hysterically at it. I thought it was one of his funniest, after Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, and Blazing Saddles. It doesn't seem like too many people saw it, though.

Rocketboy
02-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Mars Attacks! was a campy, fun parody of the old 50s and 60s B-movies. I thought it was great, but it didn't seem that popular.Agreed. That's another $6 DVD I'm always temted to pick up.
Plus, that was where I first really "noticed" Natalie Portman. :D

El Chuxter
02-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Hellboy, you've got some good taste. I think I'll have to watch Manhunter because I loved your other three picks so much. :)

JediTricks
02-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Murder By DeathThat one was ok but I felt it was spread a little too thin, I liked so much more Neil Simon's "The Cheap Detective" with Falk again as the lead - in Murder by Death he's also parodying the Sam Spade character, both performances are really him parodying Bogart's performances of the classic noir characters though - it's less of an ensemble piece than "Murder by Death" and more of a parody of "The Maltese Falcon".

Jayspawn
02-23-2005, 11:15 PM
No, Manhunter sucked! The remade and correct Red Dragon was MUCH better. As it should have been. Manhunter's downfall is Silence of the Lambs -which is too good!

mabudonicus
02-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Anyone here seen "Wild Zero"????
A japanese alien-invasion/zombie/rock-and-roll film from 2000???

Anyone who likes crazy, gory films, kinda silly films would love this film, it's available state-side too

And a 2-pack... "Knock Off" and"Double Team"

If you have avoided these films due to the Van Damme factor (or maybe the Dennis Rodman factor, that'll do it too) check them out.... Van Damme plays a clueless, muscle bound idiot in Knock-off and the movie had so many whacky twists and tons of really innovative action scenes thanks to Tsui Hark
"Hard Target" also fits this bill, it's kinda silly(okay, REALLY silly for the most part) but overall it is a really wild action film (Van Damme actually knocks out a snake at one point, beat that) Again, this one has the advantage of a fine Chinese action film director

And lastly, "Escape from L.A." MAN what a film- it is everything the first one was but the dark humor is way bigger (and there is also a lot of plain old comedy) Sure, some of the special; effects are really poor, but I like how it is a (much deserved) parody of the original film, which took itself WAY too seriously for what it was IMO

My favourite feature of "escape" is how Snake is SO ticked off for the whole film, and no matter what someone calls him, he snarls that he'd rather be called by his other name... I also liked how the film was set up so that every scene opened as if it was going to be the exact same scene as in the first film, but then, almost as if the film realized this a bit too late, some sort of new angle would arise that made it slightly different (like the "basketball" scene, when it opens it looks like it's gonna be the same "gladiator" scene as in the first one, but with a click of a button, it turns into a hoops-based death-challenge)

And I suppose just to qualify all this, I actually don't like clichees, but if they are self-aware then it can be elevated from trite to ingenius, somehow

:beard:

vader121
02-24-2005, 10:45 AM
How about these ...

'Starship Troopers' - when I first saw this I was like "is this for real?" However if you watch it without wanting it to be lifelike and serious it is actually a pretty awesome action film.

'Hamburger Hill' - cool Vietname action flick. Tons of action.

'Miracle' - great movie especially if you're a hockey fan

'Memphis Belle' - cool WW2 air warefare movie. Has several cheesy actors in it but still pretty enjoyable to watch.

'Dirty Dozen', 'Kelly's Heroes', 'Bridge Too Far' - probably some of my most favorite ww2 movies of all time.

Turambar
02-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Gotta agree with HEllboy: HEAT was an outstanding movie. I don't really know how much it was hyped. I thought it got quite a bit being with DeNiro, Pacino, and Kilmer.
The 13th Warrior: I really enjoyed this one, too.

My pick: The Last of the Mohicans: Another great Mann film. I never heard anything about this movie. never even saw a trailer anywhere -- like it didn't exist. I only saw it because a friend was renting colonial films. needless to say I fell in love with that movie. I think it is flawless and still among my favorites.

El Chuxter
02-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, definitely Starship Troopers! I think most people missed the fact that it was a comedy, so it bombed.

CaptainSolo1138
02-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Rob Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses". This was a DISTURBING horror movie. But movies like "Scream" and "The Ring" have watered this genre down so much that people either expect that everytime that go to the theater or won't go see a horror film unless it's of that ilk. Another one that just came to me is "Mystery, Alaska".

Slicker
02-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah, definitely Starship Troopers! I think most people missed the fact that it was a comedy, so it bombed.I'll have to thrice that. This is actually a great movie and the CG is top notch for a movie that wasn't very highly hyped. IMO, it still stands up to todays standards.

kool-aid killer
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
My pick: The Last of the Mohicans: Another great Mann film. I never heard anything about this movie. never even saw a trailer anywhere -- like it didn't exist. I only saw it because a friend was renting colonial films. needless to say I fell in love with that movie. I think it is flawless and still among my favorites.

Yes! I didnt see this movie until my junior year in high school (2000) in an English class. It was the teachers favorite movie, which made me think it would suck. I actually missed out on it the first day we seen it, and i felt no regret about it. But i seen the remaining parts of it the next day and was automatically hooked. The scenery, characters, and costumes made the movie such a wonderful experience. I vividly remember sitting in the classroom and seeing the convoy of British, colonists, natives, etc. enter the path where the tree lines surrounded them, knowing that something was going to happen there. I have no idea about how this movie was recieved upon its intial release, so i cant really comment on whether it was underhyped or trashed, but i seem to be the only person i know who enjoys this movie. Whenever i mention it other people always seem to just laugh it off. Oh well, they dont know what they are missing.

Slicker
02-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Another favorite of mine that many people don't know about is "Glory" with Denzel and Mathew Broderick (sp?) it's one of my all time favorite war movies. Even though it is the Civil War

Rocketboy
02-24-2005, 03:45 PM
I'll fourth that Starship Troopers mention. Very fun movie. Never meant to be taken too seriously, even though the book was a serious sci-fi military book.

I'll also second Mystery, Alaska. Awesome, but like Miracle, was ignored because it was hockey.

Bobby Fett
02-24-2005, 04:18 PM
How about Maximum Overdrive? This was one of the very few Stephen King movies that was good.

The bit with King at the ATM was an all-time movie highlight!

General_Grievous
02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
What about Gremlins? That was a movie that's rarely talked about that deserves a little bit more attention. But just a little bit. The NECA toy line was the only big thing that came out of it.

Also, I'd also like to point out another movie.

Van Helsing
This movie was nowhere near as bad as people were labeling it. I thought it was an average movie. The only bad things about it was one too many bad special effects and they made Dracula look like a complete idiot. And speaking of Dracula......

Bram Stoker's Dracula
This was a movie that was not as recognized as it should have been. In fact, I thought it was much better than the 1931 original, because it was more accurate to the book. I'll admit that Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves did horrible acting jobs (Keanu especially), but that's what you get when you cast Americans as Brits, even though there are many exceptions (Johnny Depp in POTC, for example). But one thing is for sure; Gary Oldman totally OWNED this movie, and it was one of his best performances to date. I'd even rate it next to "The Professional". McFarlane Toys are supposedly making a line based on this movie. Hopefully that will spawn some more recognition, and maybe even a Special Edition DVD!

Rocketboy
02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Van Helsing
This movie was nowhere near as bad as people were labeling it. It was worse. One of the biggest disappointments I've ever had in a movie.

Hellboy
02-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Hellboy, you've got some good taste. I think I'll have to watch Manhunter because I loved your other three picks so much. :)

Thanks for the compliment Chux, hope you like Manhunter. :)

Anyone seen "Wild Zero"????

I finally saw this film and thought it was pretty darn funny. Now don't get me wrong it isn't a great film by any means but the entertainment value is definitely there. It sure is a hard movie to classify but I'm a sucker for films with zombies in them so I was hooked once they showed up.

Seeing as how you liked Wild Zero so much mabudon you should check Versus: Director's Cut out. It's another japanese/zombie flick with a bit of martial arts thrown in. Again not a great movie but its a fun rental. :Ogre:

Turbowars
02-24-2005, 10:11 PM
I totaly agree with Pitch Black. What a great flick. I don't know that they were thinking with the craptacular Ridick movie.

sith_killer_99
02-24-2005, 10:11 PM
I have to agree with some of the previous posts.

Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels!
The Usual Suspect
House of 1000 Corpses
Tombstone
Dark City
Memphis Belle
Starship Troopers
Escape from New York/Escape from LA
Lost In Space (re-make)
Suicide Kings
Jersey Girl
Phantoms (Afflecks best work ;) )

Web "films"
Troops!!!
Red vs Blue (Season 1/2/3)

General_Grievous
02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
It was worse. One of the biggest disappointments I've ever had in a movie.]

Say what you will, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Turbowars
02-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Kate is the only good thing about it.

mabudonicus
02-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Seeing as how you liked Wild Zero so much mabudon you should check Versus: Director's Cut out.
Ahh yes, I saw that flick (non directors cut though)after I read a review saying something about how there wasn't even a story, just violence like some 80's video game....
I have been looking for the DVD and I will buy it when I find it, that was a pretty funny flick

Oh, and anyone who likes kung fu should check out "The Storm Riders", it is like a really nutty, good version of "crouching Tiger"

El Chuxter
02-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Jersey Girl: definitely! They under-hyped this so much because of the enormous destructive power of the bomb that was Gigli, and it's Kevin Smith's best movie! I mean, J-Lo dies, and it has George Carlin in one of his few major roles! Too bad it did so poorly, because it looks like Kevin's going back to the tone of his first several movies after he finishes Green Hornet. Not that that's bad, but I would've loved to have seen more in the vein of Jersey Girl.

JON9000
02-25-2005, 01:45 PM
I don't get why everybody thinks Tombstone is under-rated. I recall everybody being all about it when it came out. I thought it was the bomb when I was 16, and so did everybody I knew.

For the record, though, I can barely sit through it these days. It really loses steam after the gunfight at the OK Corral. The hyper macho confrontational posing, the wretched editing, the fact that it has about 5 scenes that should've all been the climax of the film. And it is a solid thirty minutes too long.

If it wasn't for Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Tombstone wouldn't have much value.

Jayspawn
02-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I really liked Once Upon a Time in Mexico I thought it was a great film by Robert Rodriguez. I was happy the final story of the Mariachi (Antonio Banderas) and Carolina(Salma Hayek). The best part of the movie of course was Johnny Depp as Agent Sands. This among Depp's best acting ever -he made the movie! "If anything happens to me, you're gonna have every agent from there to Guantonamo Bay up your keester Minster -so know that."

Turambar
02-25-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't get why everybody thinks Tombstone is under-rated. I recall everybody being all about it when it came out. I thought it was the bomb when I was 16, and so did everybody I knew.

For the record, though, I can barely sit through it these days. It really loses steam after the gunfight at the OK Corral. The hyper macho confrontational posing, the wretched editing, the fact that it has about 5 scenes that should've all been the climax of the film. And it is a solid thirty minutes too long.

If it wasn't for Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Tombstone wouldn't have much value.

I totally agree with you there. Everybody I ever met loves that movie, and I thought it was hyped from the get-go. I loved it for a long time, too. I finally got sick of it after a while. Kurt Russell and the leading lady suck, IMO. Val Kilmer carried the picture.

Rocketboy
02-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Jersey Girl: definitely! They under-hyped this so much because of the enormous destructive power of the bomb that was Gigli, and it's Kevin Smith's best movie! I mean, J-Lo dies, and it has George Carlin in one of his few major roles! Too bad it did so poorly, because it looks like Kevin's going back to the tone of his first several movies after he finishes Green Hornet. Not that that's bad, but I would've loved to have seen more in the vein of Jersey Girl.Jersey Girl was really good and highly under-rated, but not Kevin's best, IMO. Carlin was especially good in it.
It was nice to see Kevin Smith grow as a filmmaker and not rely entirely on his "Askewniverse" (which I still love).
Kevin is still writing Green Hornet, but he's not sure if he's going to direct. It was yes, then no, now maybe. I really am looking forward to Clerks 2 (which he says will be his funniest movie yet) and the Animated Clerks movie.

Stupid Gigli...

Turbowars
02-25-2005, 11:20 PM
I really am looking forward to Clerks 2 (which he says will be his funniest movie yet) Noway, I didn't know there was going to be a Clerks 2. I hope it's in black and white. When is it coming out?

Rocketboy
02-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Noway, I didn't know there was going to be a Clerks 2. I hope it's in black and white. When is it coming out?From Kevin himself:
- Right now, we're scheduled to start shooting April 18th (though that date will probably move by a week or so). - This isn't gonna be a cameo-heavy affair, a'la "Strike Back." The only returning characters are Dante and Randal, and Jay and Silent Bob.

- This isn't gonna be a star-studded affair. The biggest names in the cast are gonna be Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, and Jason Mewes.

- This isn't an "I'm not even supposed to be here today... AGAIN!"-heavy, wink-wink affair. We barely refer to the first flick (though I do love Lynch's proposed tagline of "They Still Don't Like You"; considering the tone of the script, an even more appropriate tagline would be "They Like You Even Less").

- Jay and Silent Bob have about as much screen time as they had in "Clerks." This is Dante and Randal's flick all the way.

- The title makes sense. Sure, there's a bit of cheekiness in there, but it's pretty appropriate, based on the material.

- This is the funniest thing I've ever written. It's also really poignant.

- We'll still be making a "Clerks" cartoon movie, separate of this.

- This is not a grab at the green. Saying so is kinda laughable, if you're privy to what I make per film now, vs. what I'll make for this film. Part of the idea about doing "Passion" is to strip away the trappings of success we've been enjoying for the last few years, in an effort to get to the raw and pure. None of us are making our usual salaries on this flick; we're all doing it favored-nations style, with deferments. If the flick does well, we'll get paid our full-freight on the back-end. If not, we did it for the love. But if I was "all about the green", I'd be gearing up for "Hornet" or "Fletch" instead. This one's about the passion; the passion of the "Clerks."

- This isn't about "Jersey Girl." While disappointed that we didn't do double the theatrical business we crawled to, I understand why what happened to that flick happened (considering how poorly "Gigli" did, I consider us kinda lucky that we got to 25m). If this is a reaction to anything, it's more of a reaction to "Green Hornet", and the trajectory my budgets have been taking lately. Before (and if) I direct "Hornet", I wanted to do something small and more me-like. While working on the "Clerks X" dvd, it became clear to me that "Passion" was the way to go.

- We almost did this flick three years ago, instead of "Strike Back." I'm glad we didn't, because I was able to say much more now than I would've then.

- That storyline about Dante and Randal shooting a movie about working at the Quick Stop is the plot of the "Clerks" CARTOON movie. It's secure. The plot of "PotC" is something completely different.

- The flick does NOT employ the tone of the "Clerks" cartoon. It's OG "Clerks" all the way.

- The flick's in both black & white and color.

General_Grievous
03-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I have another underrated movie to add to the list.

Troy
Now critics and moviegoers alike have bashed this movie. I thought it was great, once you look past Brad Pitt's horrible acting and some of the cheesy Orlando Bloom scenes. Plus, if you've seen this, you'd know that the supporting cast did great jobs, like Eric Bana and Brian Cox. I just think this movie deserves more credit.

Kidhuman
03-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I thought Troy was pretty decent as well.

kool-aid killer
03-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I have another underrated movie to add to the list.

Troy
Now critics and moviegoers alike have bashed this movie. I thought it was great, once you look past Brad Pitt's horrible acting and some of the cheesy Orlando Bloom scenes. Plus, if you've seen this, you'd know that the supporting cast did great jobs, like Eric Bana and Brian Cox. I just think this movie deserves more credit.

I liked how Eric Bana portrayed Hector, i was rooting for him even though i knew what his fate would be. And i agree with your assessment of Pitts acting, he looked like a brooding monkey throughout the whole movie.

Slicker
03-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Harry and the Henderson's This is John Lithgow at his finest. A great family flick that shows the true side of the bigfoot.

El Chuxter
03-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I agree. We need a Harry & the Hendersons DVD! (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=26003)

Slicker
03-05-2005, 06:49 PM
That's where I saw that. I recalled reading a very intelligently written;) article about wanting a Harry and the Henderson's DVD. I really hope we do get one though that movie is just classic. They sure don't make 'em like they used to.:cry:

General_Grievous
03-05-2005, 10:00 PM
I guess you learn something new every day. I thought that every movie that was once on VHS was released on DVD when the Star Wars OT came out on DVD. I was wrong there.

Imperial Monarche
03-06-2005, 03:11 PM
I thought The Village was really good. It wasn't M. Night's best, but it did hold my attention and I thought the twist ending was good as well. I think most people went into the movie thinking that it was going to be a thrilling horror movie that will scare people, much like his other movies, but it wasn't meant to be like that. It's a drama, not a thriller. The problem was it was just marketed completely wrong. Stupid Hollywood.

Memento is another one I can think of.

CaptainSolo1138
03-07-2005, 08:49 AM
"The Piano". While it was critically acclaimed and won Oscars, it was personally under appreciated. I tend to do this with Oscar winners. Usually I'm right.

RooJay
03-08-2005, 11:43 PM

First off, I should let it be known outright that Tombstone is one of my top five all-time favorites. However, even though I had also always assumed it was a major hit and thus not eligible for "underrated" status the movie actually grossed less than $57 million domestically. I was pretty shocked to find that out; I saw it in the theater several times - each time with pretty much a full audience.

General_Grievous
03-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I have two that most people ignore:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park
People say that this was one of the worst sequels ever. What was so bad about it? Sure it wasn't as good as the first (sequels rarely are), but people regard this as a steaming pile of ****, which it isn't. The dinosaur scenes in this were really awesome, like the T-Rexes ripping that guy in half, and the little Compys that were jumping on the guy from "Fargo". And who can forget the Raptors in the long grass? Personally, I thought that this was much better than the awful "Jurassic Park III".

Hook
Another Spielberg movie that people turn the other cheek to. I thought it was a nice little twist to the story of Peter Pan, and Dustin Hoffmann did a pretty good job playing Captain Hook. Plus it had a great score by John Williams. But people still say that this is one of Spielberg's worst, which I disagree with. I enjoyed it much more than "A.I." and "Catch Me If You Can".

Kidhuman
03-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I Think Hook is a great movie and by far IMO, the best peter Pan version ever...

mabudonicus
03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
General G- YES, man, I almost got kicked out of the theatre cos I was having so much fun watching that film... part one made me angry and part 3 just plain stunk on ice, but that second one was the only good film of the series IMO, lots of great Dinosaurs, didn't take itself seriously at ALL, great film

And another addition- it was my birthday yesterday and I got "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie" and I swear it was one of the most downright "fun" films I've ever seen- I was laughing SO hard I missed a lot of it, even ("Now that we're MEN", anyone??)
Man, anyone who likes sorta light films and doesn't HATE the character already would be advised to check it out, a really good clean and hilarious film (oddly, I wouldn't recommend it for kids, it's really weird and might raise some awkward questions)

JON9000
03-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I'll add one I forgot:

Master & Commander: the Far Side of the World

Not many action films have much in the way of serious artistic value or much of a brain, but M&C had plenty of both.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Last Action Hero - Came out around the same time as "Jurassic Park." Critics ate it up, and everyone flocked to see Jurassic. I appreciate the humor in this film as it parodies action movies. I also like some of Ahhnolds one-liners, like when the kid Danny explained to him that he was a movie star named Arnold Schwarznegger who portrays a cop on screen and not a real cop. When he leaves the picture and goes into reality he goes to meet Danny's mom and says, "Hi! I am the famous comedian Albert Braunscheigwer."

Hudson Hawk - I am surprised no one has mentioned this famous underappreciated flick starring Bruce Willis. Clever plot, nice action, excellent humor, a little twisted in parts but a great flick.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - A lot of Bond lovers rank this as one of the lowest on their list, and I think that is unfair. George Lazenby had big shoes to fill with taking over the role of 007, and while he didn't have the same suave or humor of a Connery, he showed an emotional side of Bond we never saw. It contains the best sustained action sequence that rivals any Bond movie (from the ski chase, to the stock car race, to the avalanche, to the assault on the Piz Gloria and to the bobsled chase) and most famously, it does the best job of portraying the human side of Bond, rather than the superhero side, by having him get married and at the end, we tragically see that Bond, because of his work, can never marry.

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Hudson Hawk - I am surprised no one has mentioned this famous underappreciated flick starring Bruce Willis. Clever plot, nice action, excellent humor, a little twisted in parts but a great flick.I thought I did mention it, must have been in the "DVDs that deserved better" thread instead. This film is a lot of fun, thin and shallow but making that work FOR it (which I guess audiences in the US didn't get, Europe apparently loved it according to the director).

I think Last Action Hero was a complete waste of my money, I paid to get in and I probably would have paid to get back out. I didn't care for Jurassic Park much either, but at least it was solid and only trying to pander to the action audience, LAH seemed to be desparate to pander to action and kiddie and comedy audiences all at the same time, making it feel watered-down and sloppy. I blame the writers and director.

As for OHMSS, it's good but it has horrible pacing and is way too long. Also, the plotline with Bond getting married is TOO human for the cinematic series without some setup (it might have worked after Brosnan's 007, but not Connery's).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-31-2005, 08:38 PM
I thought I did mention it, must have been in the "DVDs that deserved better" thread instead. This film is a lot of fun, thin and shallow but making that work FOR it (which I guess audiences in the US didn't get, Europe apparently loved it according to the director).

It has a bit of sophistication in the movie, with the Vatican, Da Vinci and other European subplots. Maybe it was a bit too much sophistication for American audiences.

I think Last Action Hero was a complete waste of my money, I paid to get in and I probably would have paid to get back out. I didn't care for Jurassic Park much either, but at least it was solid and only trying to pander to the action audience, LAH seemed to be desparate to pander to action and kiddie and comedy audiences all at the same time, making it feel watered-down and sloppy. I blame the writers and director.

I think LAH had a clever gimmick in which the border between reality and fiction (movies) was exposed and crossed over. It did have all the elements of many genres and it may have contributed to its downfall, but I hated this movie at first, and it was one of those that grew on me.

As for OHMSS, it's good but it has horrible pacing and is way too long. Also, the plotline with Bond getting married is TOO human for the cinematic series without some setup (it might have worked after Brosnan's 007, but not Connery's).

Maybe if OHMSS came out after "From Russia With Love," it would have been more believable. Fault the producers, Broccoli and Saltzman. By the time Lazenby took over, Connery was made indestructible, the plots were made more unbelievable, and the gadgets more over the top. But audiences ate it up. The humanistic side of Bond, while not gigantic, was seen at Connery's peak in "FRWL" but afterwards that was abandoned. I noticed how after OHMSS, "Diamonds are Forever" started off in Japan, site of Connery's last flick, "You Only Live Twice" and OHMSS was treated as if it were nonexistant.

JediTricks
04-01-2005, 04:17 PM
LAH's gimmick/concept was what got me into the theater in the first place, so I do get you there. The kid was a little much I guess, and there were a few too many "cute" scenes for my tastes.

You're mistaken about OHMSS and Diamonds Are Forever I think, DAF starts off with Connery under the motivation from the end of OHMSS to track down Bloefeld, doing anything he can to kill the guy. Connery's Bond in the film starts off determined and acting more wild than ever before, no clowning around, it's all rage, the idea is that Bond is searching for Bloefeld not to save the world but to get revenge - and he's doing it on his time off from the service, IIRC.

I don't think OHMSS would have worked just after FRWL because the Bond we see in that picture is more human, but he's also a colder character than Lazenby and only shows kinship with a fellow spy of equal quality - Kerim Bey. Bond seems to have a very close bond with Tatiana yet he's still willing to sacrifice her on the train if it means succeeding in his mission - Lazenby in OHMSS is a friendlier guy in general, seems to feel more brashly rather than internalizing his feelings about enemies and friends, and risks his mission over his future wife.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-01-2005, 09:37 PM
You're mistaken about OHMSS and Diamonds Are Forever I think, DAF starts off with Connery under the motivation from the end of OHMSS to track down Bloefeld, doing anything he can to kill the guy. Connery's Bond in the film starts off determined and acting more wild than ever before, no clowning around, it's all rage, the idea is that Bond is searching for Bloefeld not to save the world but to get revenge - and he's doing it on his time off from the service, IIRC.

While I would agree with you about Connery's motive against Blofeld, you could also interpret that DAF leaves off from You Only Live Twice because the fact that Bond's wife was killed at the end of a prior movie (OHMSS), yet it was never acknowledged or mentioned in the follow-up (DAF). It may have been understood, but was never spoken, meaning we don't know for sure. Broccoli didn't like OHMSS, the fact that it didn't do as well at the box office, didn't like Lazenby, or the director Hunt and severed ties with all of them after the movie. It wasn't until For Your Eyes Only that Bond's wife is even alluded to. Bond could be after Blofeld in revenge simply because he eluded capture in YOTL despite the fact he was in Bond's grip.

I also see your point about FRWL. Connery used woman to a tee and discarded them once he got what he wanted from them. Tatiana, may have been the only woman who offered the greatest chance at a commitment with his character.

JON9000
04-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I always interpreted the beginning of Diamonds as a vendetta after OHMSS. MAn, Diamonds was terrible.

JediTricks
04-02-2005, 02:16 PM
In YOLT, Bond's wife Aki is really only about the mission, and while she is assassinated Bond quickly gets a replacement girl none the less, so I don't think there's any retribution implied from that - if you think about it, OHMSS is the only 007 picture where Bond doesn't get the girl (or have already replaced the girl with another) at the end of the film.

It wasn't until For Your Eyes Only that Bond's wife is even alluded to.True, but keep in mind which wife they make the reference about, it's Teresa not Aki.

Tatiana, may have been the only woman who offered the greatest chance at a commitment with his character.One of the many reasons I love FRWL, it's just a brillianly nuanced story, realistic (for 007 anyway) spy stuff, and Bond ends up realistically challenged by his feelings of duty and his growing feelings for the girl. Of course, in this film and Dr No, Bond is shown with a steady girlfriend in his off-time (the only repeating female character in the entire movie series that wasn't Moneypenny or later M) which I suppose lends some sense of commitment.

JON9000
04-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Secondhand Lions - almost nobody saw this. My parents have it on DVD so I watched it, and it was really good. It has shades of "Big Fish" without all of the Burton weirdness. It is also a great family film (I cannot remember the last good live action family film I saw). It has only a little violence and maybe one very mild swear, so even the really little ones can enjoy it. It doesn't make a bad "date" movie either, so definitely check it out! :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Mississippi Burning

This 1988 movie was well received in its day but I haven't seen this much replayed lately, even though it is a gem of a movie.

The movie has its base in reality, centering on the disappearance of 3 college age kids who were sent to Mississippi during "Freedom Summer"--1964 in a voter regristration blitz. It stars Willem Dafoe as a straight laced FBI Agent sent to Mississippi to investigate the disappearances. He is consistently stymied and stonewalled by the local authorities who are bent on kicking out the "outside agitators" while covering up their own involvement in their murders. He even finds that the local African-Americans are reluctant to talk because of the real threat and fear from the backlash of the whites, such as losing their job, or worse, their lives, for telling what they know.

Gene Hackman plays an FBI agent who is not afraid to get his hands dirty and show Dafoe how to get things done in the South, even if it means breaking the law at times. Frances McDormand wonderfully plays the abused wife of one of the participators who attempts to do the unthinkable--tell the truth about what she knows, even though she might get brutally injured for it.

The movie conveys the real sense of tension and overall sadness of this period in American History. It shows what dangers lurked for African-Americans if they ever strayed from "their place" and for those who tried to assist their quest in equality.

Turbowars
05-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes, it was a very well put together film. Something to don't see much these days.

megaprime33
05-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Quiz Show - based on the 1950s quiz show scandels and one of my favorites

Apt Pupil - despite what KH says, I think it's a fantastic movie directed and acted perfectly(well maybe not by Brad Renfro)but is definitely great.

Free Enterprise - if you haven't seen this, you must!

Princess Bride - great movie

Primal Fear - incredible acting from Ed Norton

That's all I think of off the top of my head.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Mississippi Burning

This 1988 movie was well received in its day but I haven't seen this much replayed lately, even though it is a gem of a movie.

Yes. A great movie. I went to a premiere and really enjoyed it. Very dark and realistic (which is good cause it is a true story). R. Lee Ermey was great and shows he can do roles other than the screaming drill sergeant.

TheDarthVader
05-18-2005, 11:02 PM
How about:

Searching for Bobby Fischer

And three Stephen King movies:

Dolores Claiborne
Stand by Me
Hearts in Atlantis

B.
TDV

Won-Dum Jedi
05-31-2005, 04:34 AM
Judge Dread

Pootie Tang

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Just saw a showing of a 70's horror movie called "The Other" on AMC Horror Night Friday a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was a great flick for a movie I have never even heard of.

The movie's setting is summer in small town New England in the 1930's. The plot revolves around two identical twin boys who are as close as siblings can get, but the two have very distinct personalities. Niles, the younger of the two, is sweeter, more willing to spend time around adults, is generally more caring and helpful. Holland, the older twin, has a mischevious streak to him that includes springing a few deaths (boys will be boys). There is a supernatural element to the flick as the boys learn a special trick taught to them by their grandmother (played by Uta Hagen) that let's them see through the eyes of other beings.

Without revealing too much of the plot, you are hit with a bombshell about halfway through the movie and then start to question everything you have seen from that point on. When you see the ending, you almost have to wish for a second viewing to go back and piece what exactly happened.

The movie is a psychological thriller, much as "Rosemary's Baby "is, (in fact the author/screenplay writer/former actor Tom Tryon was inspired to write "The Other" because of that movie) and is a great horror movie sans the blood and gore that is present in many of them.

It also directed by Richard Mulligan, the same director who did "To Kill A Mockingbird" with Gregory Peck.

PoggleTheGreater
05-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Bicentennial Man
The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas
Mystery Men
The Beleiver
Paths of Glory
Interview With the Vampire
David and Lisa

General_Grievous
05-29-2006, 05:26 PM
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)- Not only is it a great horror movie, but it's one of those rare remakes that's better than the original.

Phantom-like Menace
05-31-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm glad to see Troy on this list. I thought my friend and I were the only ones who liked this movie. Brian Cox made me laugh myself silly at the beginning and during the fight between Paris and Menelaus. At the beginning, it was his petty bickering with Achilles and the line, "But I like your land . . . and I like your army." During the fight with Menelaus, I just couldn't believe Agamemnon was the only person who found that fight worth laughing at. Eric Bana was cheated out of recognition by the poor reception this movie received.

Edit: One of my favorite Hector moments is when he goes up against Ajax. First of all, Ajax was huge, but when Hector keeps fighting after Ajax pulls the spear out of his own body, breaks it in two, and proceeds to beat Hector around with it, Hector became the man!

And I'll add one. Not a jewel of cinema, but an underhyped comedy: The New Guy. This movie singlehandedly sold me on DJ Qualls as a comedic actor. Dizzie preaching to the congregation about being "right-angled," Robert "Vanilla Ice" Van Winkle as a Sam Goody employee gone nuts, Eliza Dushku trying on bathing suits, one of the best intros in cinematic history when "Gil Harris" arrives at the new school a la Hannibal Lector, nearly everything that happened in prison (like the one character who just stood off to the side just holding a giant jar of mayonaise), Lyle Lovett trying to determine whether his son is "riding the white pony," Eliza Dushku trying on bathing suits. I can't believe I don't own this movie.

BountyHunterScum
06-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Catch me if you can, not the tom hanks movie the original version that the hanks movie ripped the name off. It's a car racing high school 80's movie.

Warstar
06-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Outland with Sean Connery. Basically a sci-fi murder mystery set on one of Jupiter's moons in the future. It's actually a GREAT suspense flick with a good action ending. Check it out :)

Phantom-like Menace
06-14-2006, 12:02 AM
I never hear enough love for Super Troopers.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2006, 12:59 AM
I never hear enough love for Super Troopers.

The movie or the shower scene? :D

EDIT: My bad, I was thinking Starship Troopers. :p

General_Grievous
06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
One movie I feel is underappreciated is Steven Spielberg's "Hook". I loved this movie as a kid but there are a load of bad reviews that go along with it. I don't get it. Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams were great in it. It even had a great score from John Williams. Where's the love for Hook?

Kidhuman
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
The love for Hook is here with me, one of my favorite movies.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Clue

A mid 80's bomb that starred Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Michael McKean, and Madeline Kahn. A murder-mystery/comedy movie that was based on the classic Parker Brother's board game. It contains a lot of deadpan humor, a few memorable one-liners, all while you try to unravel the mysteries behind the growing body count. The movie also contains three different and all possible endings.

JediTricks
06-24-2006, 05:22 PM
The last ending isn't possible, they went too far with the joke there :p. I saw it in the theater, you got a clue sheet like from the game, and they only showed 1 ending, we saw ending #2.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
The last ending isn't possible, they went too far with the joke there :p. I saw it in the theater, you got a clue sheet like from the game, and they only showed 1 ending, we saw ending #2.

That gosh darned Mrs. Peacock, I knew something was fishy the moment she first appeared on screen.

basschick
06-28-2006, 02:13 AM
L.A. Confidential (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119488/) - all the masses i know watch and love it

Escape from New York (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/) / Escape from L.A. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/) - same as above. even here and now, EVERYONE knows snake plissken!

Hook (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102057/) - i loved that movie when it came out. being a long time peter pan fan - NOT of the disney kind - i think this is just wonderful.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311113/) - was almost on my don't bother to watch list - not sure why. it's now on my "buy as soon as possible" list and i consider it impressive in every way.

Men at Work (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100135/) - love that flick! and speaking of emilio...

Freejack (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104299/) - emilio in a great future movie with mick jagger hunting him down.

Hudson Hawk (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102070/) - one of my faves. tongue in cheek humor, cat burglars timing their capers to standards, action. my enthusiasm knows very few bounds here and i try and revisit this movie regularly. and speaking of bruce willis, don't forget

The Last Boy Scout (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102266/) - another of my absolute faves. action, sports, and satan clause - he's out there, and he's getting stronger :D

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/) - a friend of mine took me to a theater where they were playing it. i was surprised to notice all the people knew the script by heart and had certain articles of clothing they all brought and wore. a true cult classic.

Bad Santa (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307987/) - actually BADDER SANTA, the unrated version is the one i like. hysterically funny with no redeeming social value whatsoever. this movie is sick! if you haven't seen it, and you aren't easily offended or disgusted, check it out. if you ARE easily offended, maybe better pass ;)

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366551/) - the ultimate stoner humor movie. and who would have thought that Neil Patrick Harris could be so SICK? great movie, much better than expected. i was sure to buy it.

some more movies i LOVE that most people have never heard of include (in no particular order)
The Wrong Box (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061204/)
Johnny Mnemonic (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113481/)
Psycho Beach Party (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206226/)
Real Genius (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089886/)

and who here still watches It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/)?

plasticfetish
06-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Outland with Sean Connery. Basically a sci-fi murder mystery set on one of Jupiter's moons in the future. It's actually a GREAT suspense flick with a good action ending. Check it out :)When Outland came out it was pretty well received actually. It used to get a lot of play on TV also, but I haven't seen it on in a while. I think it's great actually... some people find it a little boring, but Connery is really good. Not Zardoz good... (kidding), but good.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th DimensionI saw that JT mentioned this one a few pages back, and I'll give it a third vote. It was sort of made to be a cult classic, but it has some really silly-fun elements that make it great. I'm still waiting for the sequel. :)

This reminds me of another '80s sci-fi film that I haven't seen in a while, The Quiet Earth. It's an Australian (or New Zealand?) "last man on Earth" kind of film, and it's great. Haven't seen it since it came out in '85, and I'm not even sure if it's been put out on DVD yet.

Phantom-like Menace
08-02-2006, 02:07 AM
It came on TV yesterday, so I was reminded about it and figured I'd post on this thread, but Ladies Man never got much attention and I thought parts of that were awesome. It's certainly worthy of being mentioned alongside Wayne's World as SNL skits made into movies that managed not to suck.

Banthaholic
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Bad Santa (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307987/) - actually BADDER SANTA, the unrated version is the one i like. hysterically funny with no redeeming social value whatsoever. this movie is sick! if you haven't seen it, and you aren't easily offended or disgusted, check it out. if you ARE easily offended, maybe better pass ;)

That movie is so wrong, yet so fricking funny. Good old little Thurmon Mermon

Phantom-like Menace
08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
The Great Outdoors only got one star! The racoons alone were worth three stars!